IA IA - Colleen Simpson, 14, Bedford, 5 Oct 1975

Hm. Her friend said she disappeared from an out of town function. I wonder what kind of function and in what town? I know nothing at all about Iowa but maybe if we knew that info it would give us some clues, something to work with.
Yes, I was reading the comments, and what was kind of interesting was a comment of her brother who said that she disappeared from home and that she was a runaway.

I want to bring this forward because I am also VERY skeptical that Colleen was 5'7" and 90 lbs. That would put her BMI at 14, seriously skinny for a young woman. However, if she was 57" (a mistake we've seen before), at 4'9"/4'10" and 90 lbs, she would be a very normal 19.5 BMI.
If she was this tiny, perhaps her remains are unidentified somewhere- even as a child, or at least much shorter female than 5'7"?
Seems quite important

Colleen Vanita Simpson
colleen_vanita_simpson_1.jpg

Colleen, circa 1975

Colleen Vanita Simpson

image-713.jpg
image-714.jpg

Left: Colleen circa, 1975
Right: Age Progressed to age 52

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: October 5, 1975

Missing From: Bedford, Taylor County, Iowa

Classification: Non-Family Abduction

Date Of Birth: December 5, 1960

Height and Weight: 5’7″ and 90 pounds

Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian Female, Black hair, Hazel eyes, Colleen has a mole on the left side of her chin, and she has a moon shoes scar just below her right elbow on her arm

NCMEC Number: 601905

Details of Disappearance

Colleen Simpson was last seen at her family’s residence on October 5th 1975. She was last seen during the evening hours. Colleen is believed to have gone missing in the night hours of October 5th. She’s never been seen or heard from since.

Little information is available about Colleen’s disappearance but a lead came when serial killer, William Bradford, was found to have a photograph of a woman who closely resembles Simpson. The girls father stated that the photograph is not of his daughter.

Colleen’s case remains unsolved. Her parents have both since died. Her case is classified as a non family abduction.

Investigating Agency

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Taylor County Sheriffs Office 712-523-2153

Source Information

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children

The Charley Project

The Doe Network

NamUs

Colleen Vanita Simpson

Thank you for posting this.
I didn't know she left a note. If that was a known fact, it went right over my head.
And it appears she was that skinny, it's not a typo.

I had been pretty sure she was much shorter. Also, this was the only place I saw a note mentioned.

This is a deeply strange case, to say the least. The simple fact that there doesn't seem to be an established description of what happened to her (just when she disappeared) seems extremely suspicious to me.... I think the fact that the community is so small is the only thing that allows a situation to occur So.

I'm also surprised that anyone is willing to let 'she ran away' be the last word. She was 14 years old and pregnant! Where exactly did she flee to? To what complacent and probably discriminatory mental institution were those who should have been searching for her assigned her disappearance?

The fact that she would need medical attention in the not-too-distant future should also have greatly limited her possible whereabouts... I suppose that could at least inform a possible scenario if she were as well as seems to be the case. Perhaps the stress and physical demands of escaping her home caused a premature birth during which she died somewhere in the wild, unable to return or seek other help...

As in so many similar cases, you really have to consider it; How unbearable were the conditions in her house that she found it preferable to run out in the middle of a cold fall night?

That doubt remains for us now... I think her family didn't care much about her disappearance or maybe she was rejected because of her supposed pregnancy...
either way
rest in peace

How unbearable were the conditions in her house that she found it preferable to run out in the middle of a cold fall night?
Indeed. I wish we knew what that note said.

Also, wondering how far along she was with the pregnancy. I'd think that she would have started showing pretty early on with her tiny frame. It would not have been an easy secret to keep.

This is a deeply strange case, to say the least. The simple fact that there doesn't seem to be an established description of what happened to her (just when she disappeared) seems extremely suspicious to me.... I think the fact that the community is so small is the only thing that allows a situation to occur So.

I'm also surprised that anyone is willing to let 'she ran away' be the last word. She was 14 years old and pregnant! Where exactly did she flee to? To what complacent and probably discriminatory mental institution were those who should have been searching for her assigned her disappearance?

The fact that she would need medical attention in the not-too-distant future should also have greatly limited her possible whereabouts... I suppose that could at least inform a possible scenario if she were as well as seems to be the case. Perhaps the stress and physical demands of escaping her home caused a premature birth during which she died somewhere in the wild, unable to return or seek other help...

As in so many similar cases, you really have to consider it; How unbearable were the conditions in her house that she found it preferable to run out in the middle of a cold fall night?

That doubt remains for us now... I think her family didn't care much about her disappearance or maybe she was rejected because of her supposed pregnancy...
either way
rest in peace
Where did you see that she was pregnant?

It's interesting that her pregnancy wasn't mentioned in missing person reports at that time or even today. I would assume the family wanted to keep it quiet at the time. Today, and with the family mentioning it on social media apparently, it should be part of the public info on her as it could help identify her or what happened to her. Perhaps it motivated someone local to kill her after she left her home?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back