IA IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I talked to a friend who deals with delivery drivers as they pass through a gate, and he said they often have to turn off their trucks so they can hear each other speak. I don't know if DS's window was down, but that made me wonder. Someone waving him down, a cop pulling him over, or something like that?

Still doesn't explain why he was going the wrong way, though.

LE would know if he'd been pulled over (for speeding because he was running late?) but it's the kind of thing they might hold back from telling the public. It's also the kind of thing that could potentially tip someone over the edge into thinking, "That's it, I'm done."

There are so many "why would they do that" questions no matter what the explanation is. Whether foul play or David's own choice, it doesn't really seem to make sense either way.

Can two people prearrange to communicate on a specific channel so they would (likely) be the only ones on it?
Sure, you could. There's 40 (legal) channels and 38 usable ones if you avoid 9 and 19. There's no expectation of privacy on any of them and no encryption or codes like those little FRS or GMRS radios have.

I believe there are modded radios that expand the range of channels above and below the normal bands but I don't know how common those are or if someone would expect someone else to have a modded radio as well.

For me the most likely scenario is DS noticed someone in distress at the intersection and he stopped to help. Either he was alerted by someone in a car or someone without a car. If it was a person without a car that person was dropped off at the intersection and the car and driver were down the road where his truck was found. I think DS was targeted and I don't think drugs are involved. jmo

For me the most likely scenario is DS noticed someone in distress at the intersection and he stopped to help. Either he was alerted by someone in a car or someone without a car. If it was a person without a car that person was dropped off at the intersection and the car and driver were down the road where his truck was found. I think DS was targeted and I don't think drugs are involved. jmo
I think David had a passenger, something went horribly wrong and David was critically injured (why or how, idk), the passenger panicked and called for a ride, and they removed David.

Lots of holes in that theory, I am fully aware.

My other theory is David is indeed nearby but searchers didn't find him.

jmo

Just recalling...

Snipped...
...“He’s not on drugs. He doesn’t have any enemies. He doesn’t owe anybody money except the bank,” Sarah said. “He would never wake up and leave his family.”

From earlier post:

ETA: Also remember, he just got a new truck he hasn't even driven yet!!!

ETA2: Back story on new truck, fwiw.

ETA3: Back story on blue truck, fwiw2

ETA4 LOL: not saying any of this is connected but there is no shortage of irony considering the bank info recenlty brought to the thread.

Last edited:
Theories being tossed around out there that it's possible it was all pre planned for financial gain
I wonder what kind of financial gain there could be. IF that is possible, in the meantime they are losing his income. A life insurance policy, if it exists, wouldn't pay out for awhile and he'd have to remain hidden. The money being raised doesn't seem like enough to make something like this worthwhile, esp as his loss of income makes paying bills more difficult now.

So I'm having a hard time comprehending the timeline that hasn't been talked about much. And this is just me trying to figure things out and am in no way insinuating anything. So if anyone has any insights, please advise....So if DS contacted dispatch before he loaded, wouldn't he also contact them when he was headed toward Wieckman's, so they could have an ETA? And with all the calculations, that ETA should have been around 12:30-1:00. I do not have any knowledge as to how these operations are run, but I'm guessing they are pretty organized. How long would a receiving facility wait and at what point do you think they would contact someone about a load that didn't show up? 2:00, 3:00? And if that missing load was being hauled by a very reliable hauler, wouldn't that be a major alert? My first thought would be an accident or truck possibly breaking down. I think I may have asked this before, but I wonder if anyone drove his route? And maybe there were lots of people out looking at that point. Just seems like a lot of time went by before it was reported to LE (after 2:00?). But again, maybe it was, and you can't officially do anything until after a certain point? The more I try to figure things out, the more questions come up. JMO

I wonder what kind of financial gain there could be. IF that is possible, in the meantime they are losing his income. A life insurance policy, if it exists, wouldn't pay out for awhile and he'd have to remain hidden. The money being raised doesn't seem like enough to make something like this worthwhile, esp as his loss of income makes paying bills more difficult now.
I'm not seeing the financial gain or hoax either. (If this is a trick, it will backfire and the finances will only be worse plus legal issues.) jmo

<modsnip: quoted post was snipped> Another thing that just came to my mind. David's cell activity after he left the truckstop. It showed he made it to the intersection where he should've turned left...but he turned right, going North. I'm curious if he turned his cell phone off or if it ran out of battery.
It's hard to believe it died of dead battery. I can't imagine a truck driver not having a charger in his truck at all times. JMO

What are the odds of a man's semi, loaded with pigs, being picked up and dumped by a tornado, then a couple years later, the same man's semi, loaded with pigs, ends up abandoned on the road? I'm not inferring anything, I'm simply astonished at two unlikely events both happening to the same person.

Just recalling...

Snipped...
...“He’s not on drugs. He doesn’t have any enemies. He doesn’t owe anybody money except the bank,” Sarah said. “He would never wake up and leave his family.”

From earlier post:

ETA: Also remember, he just got a new truck he hasn't even driven yet!!!

ETA2: Back story on new truck, fwiw.

ETA3: Back story on blue truck, fwiw2

ETA4 LOL: not saying any of this is connected but there is no shortage of irony considering the bank info recenlty brought to the thread.

I think the "new" truck may have actually been the original blue truck, newly-repaired after it was damaged by the tornado.

But either way, it would be expensive and David took out a bank loan for it. Sarah even said one of the first things she did on finding out David was missing was contact the bank about his loan. And the fundraising pages were launched almost immediately.

Whether it's suspicious or not, money does seem to loom large in this case.

I think the "new" truck may have actually been the original blue truck, newly-repaired after it was damaged by the tornado.

But either way, it would be expensive and David took out a bank loan for it. Sarah even said one of the first things she did on finding out David was missing was contact the bank about his loan. And the fundraising pages were launched almost immediately.

I really hope not, but I am reluctantly adding it to my list of possibilities. If that turns out to be the case, it's not going to turn out as they expected. Not cool.

jmo

What are the odds of a man's semi, loaded with pigs, being picked up and dumped by a tornado, then a couple years later, the same man's semi, loaded with pigs, ends up abandoned on the road? I'm not inferring anything, I'm simply astonished at two unlikely events both happening to the same person.
I know, right? Like being struck by lightning twice (although in very rare instances, it has happened).

And that's what is being said

That tornado occurred in July 2021. I would think that insurance would have covered his rig's repair, if it was repairable, and that he would not incur any costs other than perhaps a deductible. Plus, that was almost 2.5 years ago and I would assume it would have been repaired by now, but who knows. I can't imagine he'd have to cover the cost. When you live in tornado country, does auto insurance cover "acts of god and weather"?

Based on his wife's wording, I'm not getting the feeling it was the same old truck coming back. She said he was so proud of it and hadn't even driven it yet...

I think David had a passenger, something went horribly wrong and David was critically injured (why or how, idk), the passenger panicked and called for a ride, and they removed David.

Lots of holes in that theory, I am fully aware.

My other theory is David is indeed nearby but searchers didn't find him.

jmo
If LE had any reason to suspect David's disappearance may be related to foul play such as finding a bullet casings, blood, broken glass, interior of truck in disarray, broken interior parts inside of the truck suggesting a struggle, ect and thought David may have been injured and removed from the scene as you suggest. I don't see why LE would have bothered checking into things like airline flights and boarder crossings.

I think early on, LE treated this as a guy who wanted to disappear. That is why flight records were checked along with the boarder crossings to see if manybe he fled the country into Canada or Mexico.

From what has been released, the only thing that suggest a struggle may have occurred IMO is the jacket found in the ditch.

JMO

That tornado occurred in July 2021. I would think that insurance would have covered his rig's repair, if it was repairable, and that he would not incur any costs other than perhaps a deductible. Plus, that was almost 2.5 years ago and I would assume it would have been repaired by now, but who knows. I can't imagine he'd have to cover the cost. When you live in tornado country, does auto insurance cover "acts of god and weather"?

Based on his wife's wording, I'm not getting the feeling it was the same old truck coming back. She said he was so proud of it and hadn't even driven it yet...

Sarah pulls up a picture on her phone. It’s Dave’s other truck, only steps away from being repaired at the mechanic shop in Wall Lake.

“He’s so proud of it,” Sarah said. “Why would he leave before he even got the chance to drive it?”

Notice the truck isn't described as "new." It's described as "Dave’s other truck, only steps away from being repaired."

I can't speak to David's insurance, but a lot of insurance won't cover Acts of God unless you pay extra for that coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member