IA IA - Decorah, WhtMale Skeletal 2UMIA, 30-40, in barn, Mar'86

Has anyone submitted Samuel Campbell as a possiable match..... He seems like a fairly good match..... It is worth looking into

I can send Emily Craig an email to see if he was submitted previously. Samuel has DNA but not dentals, the UID has dentals but not DNA.... UGH

Current NAMUS link: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Original
Original
Original

Circumstances of Recovery
Human skeletal remains were found on 03/31/1986 between hay bales on a farm site in Winneshiek County, Iowa. Examination of the skeletonized remains showed that they were those of a white male, 33-36 years of age, 5'6" to 5'9" in height, and weighed between 145 - 160 lbs. The decedent had brown hair and a medium build. The individual may have been traveling from Ohio to California. It is estimated that the decedent may have died in April of the year 1985.

Clifton T. Womack seems like a pretty good match to Winneshiek County John Doe.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

* John Doe was estimated to be 30-40 years old, Clifton was 28 when he disappeared. Slightly below, but not out of the realm of possibility.
* John Doe's estimated weight was 145-160 lbs., Clifton was 130 lbs.
* Both Clifton and John Doe were 5'8" (68 in.) tall.
* Same/similar general demographics (race, sex, hair color, etc.) otherwise
* Clifton went missing from Ohio, and it is believed that John Doe was going from Ohio to California.
* PMI was about 1 year from 1986 (DoeNetwork says April 1985, specifically), Clifton went missing in April of 1985.

There is fairly little information on Clifton, but the demographics and circumstances seem like a fairly close fit.

I have reported Samuel Norris Campbell to the Doe Network a couple of years ago. No Update. He looks like the UID, the timeline is dead on, the clothing in Sam's photos looks like the ones the UID was wearing.
Interesting side note, this unidentified body The Doe Network: 2175UMMD was found less than a half mile form Campbell's home a few days after he disappeared. Maybe they found him while searching for Campbell.

A
I have reported Samuel Norris Campbell to the Doe Network a couple of years ago. No Update. He looks like the UID, the timeline is dead on, the clothing in Sam's photos looks like the ones the UID was wearing.
Interesting side note, this unidentified body The Doe Network: 2175UMMD was found less than a half mile form Campbell's home a few days after he disappeared. Maybe they found him while searching for Campbell.

Also submitted this back in 2017. Have you heard anything back?

The flannel shirt is the same on Sam's and the UID photos.
Agree that he looks like a good match, but would be a better match with those round-framed glasses.
True,but who knows what this guy went through before he ended up in a hay field in the middle of no where. No offense meant to the people of Decorah, Iowa.

B2E17B09-AB6F-498B-BA66-4547401FD090.jpeg 2B43E116-FF90-449B-A734-B534D1CDB7FF.jpeg 80DA92F2-729D-4FE4-9D91-412B2B4FAE85.jpeg
Circumstances of Recovery:
Human skeletal remains were found on 03/31/1986 between hay bales on a farm site in Winneshiek County, Iowa. Examination of the skeletonized remains showed that they were those of a white male, 33-36 years of age, 5'6" to 5'9" in height, and weighed between 145 - 160 lbs. The decedent had brown hair and a medium build. The individual may have been traveling from Ohio to California. It is estimated that the decedent may have died in April of the year 1985.

Clothing: Plaid white, tan, black, (Sears-Roebuck Oakbrook Sportsman/Sportswear label) pile-lined jacket, medium white, tan, short sleeve terry cloth Wedgefield shirt, blue corduroy Levi pants with 33" waist, Size 30-32 Fruit of the Loom jockey shorts, black socks, extra-large Madison blue windbreaker and brown shoes (reconstruction pictured depicts actual clothing).
Additional Personal Items: One dollar bill, pink blanket and a match book.

Current list of Missing Person exclusions:
MP14757 Melvin Snyder 05/25/1985 Franklin PA
MP18951 Michael Limesand 05/25/1985 Stephenson IL

2UMIA

https://www.namus.gov/UnidentifiedPersons/Case#/2620/details

This case is rather interesting all things considered. I hope someone picks him up for forensic genealogy.
The reconstruction is rather nice and humanizing too, unlike some well intentioned uncanny valley reconstructions.

I was reading over Earl Joggerst’s case again and it made me think of this UID. Earl disappeared about 14 years earlier but he fits the description and the circumstances somewhat. He would have been the right age at the time. Earl was traveling from Missouri to California. It still seems unclear why it’s believed the UID was traveling from Ohio to California, but it could fit Earl’s situation depending on the details. May be a little far fetched... :confused:o_O
Earl Anthony Joggerst – The Charley Project
9F99C044-B9C2-416E-8982-031E3A6FB4D0.jpeg

I was reading over Earl Joggerst’s case again and it made me think of this UID. Earl disappeared about 14 years earlier but he fits the description and the circumstances somewhat. He would have been the right age at the time. Earl was traveling from Missouri to California. It still seems unclear why it’s believed the UID was traveling from Ohio to California, but it could fit Earl’s situation depending on the details. May be a little far fetched... :confused:o_O
Earl Anthony Joggerst – The Charley Project
View attachment 240709
Maybe, but they put this guy in a different age bracket.

I'd like to propose this guy: Ronald LeRoy Zelmer

ronald_leroy_zellmer_1.jpg

• Missing Since 04/06/1985
  • Missing From Sioux City, Iowa
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • SexMale
  • RaceWhite
  • Date of Birth 10/02/1953 (67)
  • Age 31 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'10, 170 pounds
  • Medical Conditions Zellmer suffered from a long-standing depression at the time of his disappearance.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian male. Blond hair, blue eyes.
Details of Disappearance

"Zellmer disappeared from Sioux City, Iowa on April 6, 1985. At 5:50 a.m., police found his 1984 Chevrolet Cavalier on the south end of the Veterans Memorial Bridge in South Sioux City, Nebraska. It was unoccupied, with its motor running. When they went to Zellmer's apartment in the 1000 block of Pierce Street, they found it empty with no signs of any disturbance. Investigators searched the Missouri River after Zellmer's disappearance but uncovered no evidence indicating his fate.

Zellmer had been depressed for years before he vanished and his disappearance was investigated as a possible suicide, but he could also have been taken against his will. His case remains unsolved."

I mean, it's just possible that he couldn't bring himself to jump into the river, or he wanted not to have his mortal remains found, so he hitched his way to this location and let himself die there. I know that his hair is listed as blonde, where the UID's is brown, but his mustache in this pic seems lighter than his head hair. The things that this one has going for it are: 1) Timing; 2) Propinquity; 3) Age, height, weight.

Maybe, but they put this guy in a different age bracket.

I'd like to propose this guy: Ronald LeRoy Zelmer

View attachment 278593

• Missing Since 04/06/1985
  • Missing From Sioux City, Iowa
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • SexMale
  • RaceWhite
  • Date of Birth 10/02/1953 (67)
  • Age 31 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'10, 170 pounds
  • Medical Conditions Zellmer suffered from a long-standing depression at the time of his disappearance.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian male. Blond hair, blue eyes.
Details of Disappearance

"Zellmer disappeared from Sioux City, Iowa on April 6, 1985. At 5:50 a.m., police found his 1984 Chevrolet Cavalier on the south end of the Veterans Memorial Bridge in South Sioux City, Nebraska. It was unoccupied, with its motor running. When they went to Zellmer's apartment in the 1000 block of Pierce Street, they found it empty with no signs of any disturbance. Investigators searched the Missouri River after Zellmer's disappearance but uncovered no evidence indicating his fate.

Zellmer had been depressed for years before he vanished and his disappearance was investigated as a possible suicide, but he could also have been taken against his will. His case remains unsolved."

I mean, it's just possible that he couldn't bring himself to jump into the river, or he wanted not to have his mortal remains found, so he hitched his way to this location and let himself die there. I know that his hair is listed as blonde, where the UID's is brown, but his mustache in this pic seems lighter than his head hair. The things that this one has going for it are: 1) Timing; 2) Propinquity; 3) Age, height, weight.
I quite like this one. I think you should submit him. Nice find!

This person caught my eye
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
John Kelly Gentry. He has connections to both Ohio and California. He had a murder warrant in Ohio and family in California. Since he was running from murder charges he may have tried to walk to California in order to evade law enforcement. The part of the country he was found is very rural dominated by farmland.

The issue with identifying the Decorah John Doe is that they have no DNA from him. The state would have to exhume him to collect the samples and they will not pay for that. Until somebody wants to pay a lawyer and the state to make it happen, we'll probably never know who this man is.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona
Back