IA IA - Jane Wakefield, 26, Iowa City, 5 Sept 1975

... as well as his audacity in openly purchasing the materials from the crematorium using his own name ( I've often wondered what, if any, "reason" he gave the crematorium for "needing" the supplies necessary to effectively cremate a human body ....

I came across this while doing a related search and am curious for a couple of reasons, but the question I have regarding this post is the "supplies" purchased from the crematorium. Can you say what these supplies were?

In another post, you mention that the last you knew John was living with someone with children. Can you give a timeframe for this?

Thanks.

Hi BlueVespa,
To the best of my knowledge/recollection, he only purchased "charcoal" (or whatever material a crematorium would have used at that time to burn bodies; i.e. wood, charcoal, etc. ). I heard nothing about accelerants or any other "supplies." I never visited his home <shudder> but was told by all my sources that he had a very large fireplace (FWIW, I grew up in an old house in Iowa City that had 2 fireplaces downstairs; the one in the den/family room was HUGE; I was only 6 when we moved in, but I recall my parents telling us kids that that particular fireplace was "big enough to hold a buffalo"- I lived there until I was 16, and I can safely say it would've easily held a child's body, or the folded or dismembered body of an average-sized adult; I believe Jane was quite petite). I do know Wakefield lived in a similarly old house when Jane disappeared, and was still living there when I met him.
As far as the timeframe of his cohabitation with the woman who had young kids, it would have been in the mid-eighties. This was the last time in which I had contact w/ my former co-worker and the LE sources I previously referred to. I know my LE sources from that time have since moved away and/or retired. I did meet Sid Jackson briefly during that time period; however, I never knew him well or discussed the case w/ him. I wasn't surprised to learn he'd been fired; he had a reputation as a bit of a "rogue cop" (I want to state for the record that I never personally witnessed anything other than professional behavior from him).
Please feel free to ask any more questions I may be able to help with.
Sincerely,
G&T'd
P.S. I have no idea if Wakefield still lives in Iowa City, or where he may be now. I know where I'd *like* him to be :jail: JMHO!
I came across this while doing a related search and am curious for a couple of reasons, but the question I have regarding this post is the "supplies" purchased from the crematorium. Can you say what these supplies were?

In another post, you mention that the last you knew John was living with someone with children. Can you give a timeframe for this?

Thanks.

Hi QueryOne,
Agreed, absolutely! Still makes me shudder to think of him...really DEFINED creepy in my book.
Sincerely,
G&T'd

I guess there isn't any news. This is a very intriguing case, as I was acquainted with the POI from 1973-1978. I hesitate to say acquainted, but was part of the landscape of one of his "businesses". Very creepy person. I just hope there can be resolution for the family. I never thought of him as "allegedly" being involved. I believed it.

I was wondering if anyone is looking into the possibility of matching the dental filling to dental records?

JWakefield.jpg

Jane Ellen Wakefield
Missing since September 5, 1975 from Iowa City, Johnson County, Iowa.
Classification: Endangered Missing
Vital Statistics
  • Date Of Birth: November 19, 1948
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 26 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2; 112 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; green eyes. Wakefield wore eyeglasses at the time of her disappearance.
  • Dentals: Missing tooth #14

• Circumstances of Disappearance
  • Wakefield was last seen on September 5, 1975 by friends in the north section of Iowa City on a bicycle. Some reports list she was last seen at her mobile home at the Bon-Aire Mobile Home Lodge, in Iowa City, Iowa.

She was reported missing on September 8, 1975, by the Penn school principal, where she was a teacher. A police check of her trailer revealed her bicycle at its usual place beside the trailer and clothing in a location suggesting she had recently taken a shower. The trailer was orderly and nothing was missing or out of place.

At the time, a series of lie detector tests narrowed the list of suspects. However, one major suspect had refused to take such a test questioning the validity of such tests. On September 10, 1975, Iowa City police drained two city lagoons near the victim's trailer court, but no evidence pertaining to the case was uncovered.

In January of 1976, police armed with search warrants went to an Iowa City tavern where Wakefield had worked, an Iowa City apartment house and a billiard parlor, both managed by her estranged husband.

Ashes sifted from an incinerator at the apartment in question were sent to the Bureau of Criminal Investigation Laboratory in Des Moines: Lab analysis of bone fragments found in the incinerator were found to be inconclusive. Subsequently, a stretch of 1-80 north-of Iowa City was also searched by some 20 officers. No official explanation for the search has ever been released. Jane has never been seen again.

Investigators
    If you have any information on Wakefield's whereabouts, please contact:

Iowa City Police Department
    Lt. Sid Jackson
    319-356-5276

OR
    Iowa Missing Persons' Clearinghouse
    800-346-5507

All information may be submitted on an anonymous basis.
    NCIC Number: M-703329643
    Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.
    Source Information:
    Iowa Missing Persons' Clearinghouse
    Gazette Online
    Iowa City Missing Persons
    Gazette
    The Doe Network Case File 55DFIA

jane_ellen_wakefield_1.jpg
jane_ellen_wakefield_2.jpg
jane_ellen_wakefield_3.jpg

Jane Ellen Wakefield
Missing since September 5, 1975
  • Missing Since 09/06/1975
  • Missing From Iowa City, Iowa
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 11/19/1948 (72)
  • Age 26 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'2, 112 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blonde hair, green eyes. Jane wears gold wire-rimmed eyeglasses. One of her teeth is missing. Her maiden name is Hallberg. Her hair was cut short at the time of her disappearance.
Details of Disappearance

Jane was last seen at her mobile home at the Bon-Aire Mobile Home Lodge in Iowa City, Iowa at 2:30 p.m. on September 6, 1975. She has never been heard from again.

Initially it was thought that she had left with a religious cult which was active in the area, but her family did not believe she would have joined a cult. When investigators searched the cult's camp they found no sign of Jane, and the theory was thus discredited.

Jane was separated from her husband, John in 1975; she had filed for divorce about six months before she vanished and was seeing another man. Their friends stated Jane wanted to have children but John did not, and they believe this was a cause of the couple's marital problems.

The day of her disappearance, Jane went on a bicycle ride with friends. A neighbor spoke to her after she returned to her home, and said she was behaving normally. Late that evening, one of Jane's neighbors heard someone yelling or screaming, but did not investigate the noises. Jane was discovered missing the next day.

Jane's Fiat was found parked in its assigned space and her bicycle was locked to a yard lamp. Inside her residence everything seemed to be in order. Investigators believe she had been taking a shower when she disappeared. They administered many lie detector tests to eliminate suspects in her case, but one person of interest refused to take one.

Shortly after Jane vanished, an informant told police a friend of his had confessed to her murder. Jane's body was supposedly cremated and scattered along Interstate 80. The informant passed a lie detector test, but his information was never confirmed.

Authorities searched several locations, including two businesses owned by John. They removed bone fragments, a piece of metal believed to be a tooth filling, and five vacuum cleaners from his property. Laboratory testing could not connect the items to Jane, however. John maintains his innocence in her disappearance. He advertised a cash reward for her safe return.

Authorities have identified a suspect in Jane's disappearance, but the individual has never been publicly named.

Jane was employed as a math and reading teacher at at Penn Elementary School in North Liberty, Iowa in 1975; her disappearance was reported by the school principal when she did not show up for work.

She grew up in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area and attended Morningside College in Sioux City, Iowa for a year before she met John. Jane married him in 1967 and continued her studies at the University of Iowa. She graduated in 1970. She is considered missing under suspicious circumstances and her case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency
  • Iowa City Police Department 319-356-5275
Source Information

This isn't confirmed to be Jane but it just has to be. It looks exactly like her. Jane's maiden name was Hallberg. If not confirmed before, this confirms Jane attended Kennedy High School in Minnesota. Her Charley Project also says she was raised in Minnesota.
Jane Wakefield.jpg

I have the impression that, as they say above, she was murdered, dismembered, and cremated... how terrible is an ex-husband who is spiteful or feeling humiliated by his ex-wife who left him perhaps because of violence or perhaps other atrocities... unfortunately I can imagine that all the evidence has been lost over time the bones the dental filling found the vacuum cleaners...why not get divorced and keep the good times with that couple and just leave it like that...why murder so why mark a family for always? The most likely thing is that we will never know what happened but we must never lose hope..
anyway rest in peace jane

Jane Ellen Wakefield, age 26
Missing since September 1975

LINKS:

https://.com/jane-ellen-wakefield.html

https://www./media/jane-ellen-wakefield-missing-from-iowa-city-ia-since-8-sept-1975-age-26.81/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back