GUILTY IA - Sabrina Ray, 16, beaten & starved to death, Perry, 12 May 2017

FEB 7, 2019
Sabrina Ray case comes to a close as final family member is sentenced
“On May 12 (2017) I locked her in a room alone and unattended,” Bousman said of Sabrina Ray.

Judge Terry Rickers then asked if Bousman took any action to provide Sabrina with the attention or care she needed to prevent her death.

“I did not,” Bousman said.

“You were supposed to be my cousin. You were supposed to love me,” the victim impact statement from MR read.

“You could have saved my sister, Sabrina, the day she died. It could have ended up different,” MR’s statement said.

Bousman broke down into tears as the statement from MR was read during the Feb. 1 hearing.

“What you did to me hurt me so bad. Now I get new clothes and I’m treated right by my new mom and family,” the statement read. “I am way better off without you ever in my life again.”

A victim impact statement from HR said while Bousman didn’t play as big of a role as Marc or Misty, she still contributed to Sabrina’s death.

“Thank you though for defending us and helping us to get them put in prison for the rest of their lives,” HR’s statement read, as Bousman could be heard crying. “I really wish you could have gotten us out sooner.”

Sabrina Ray's parents ordered to pay back $220K, including subsidies received for adoptions

April 25, 2019

"The imprisoned parents of a starved and abused Iowa teen who died under their care have been ordered to pay nearly a quarter-million dollars, including repayments of state money the couple received for adopting children.

Marc and Misty Ray were ordered earlier this month to pay restitution of $226,418 after both were sentenced in connection with Sabrina Ray's death. The 16-year-old weighed just 56 pounds when she died.

The couple was ordered to pay back $50,035 in "adoption subsidy overpayments" from the Iowa Department of Human Services, and $26,382.82 in overpayments from the department's support center, court records filed April show.

The Rays must also pay $150,000 to be split evenly among three other children they abused...."

Sabrina Ray's parents ordered to pay back $220K, including subsidies received for adoptions

Sabrina Ray’s Grandmother Arrested After Alleged Prison Break

JUNE 12, 2019

"POLK COUNTY, Iowa – A woman sentenced to 20 years in prison in connection with the death of her adopted granddaughter is facing another felony charge after court documents show she escaped from prison last month.

Sixty-four-year-old Carla Bousman pleaded guilty to two counts of false imprisonment, one count of neglect of a dependent person, one count of obstruction of prosecution, one count of accessory after the fact, and two counts of child endangerment in the 2017 death of Sabrina Ray....

According to court documents, Carla Bousman escaped from the Iowa Correctional Institution in Mitchellville on the morning of May 2nd. It was reported she left the ground and was heading east into Mitchellville. Staff was able to take her into custody about half a mile away and she was returned to the prison.

Bousman was charged with escape, a class D felony, in the case. She was transferred to the Polk County Jail Wednesday for prosecution...."

JUNE 12, 2019

"POLK COUNTY, Iowa – A woman sentenced to 20 years in prison in connection with the death of her adopted granddaughter is facing another felony charge after court documents show she escaped from prison last month.

Sixty-four-year-old Carla Bousman pleaded guilty to two counts of false imprisonment, one count of neglect of a dependent person, one count of obstruction of prosecution, one count of accessory after the fact, and two counts of child endangerment in the 2017 death of Sabrina Ray....

According to court documents, Carla Bousman escaped from the Iowa Correctional Institution in Mitchellville on the morning of May 2nd. It was reported she left the ground and was heading east into Mitchellville. Staff was able to take her into custody about half a mile away and she was returned to the prison.

Bousman was charged with escape, a class D felony, in the case. She was transferred to the Polk County Jail Wednesday for prosecution...."

Wow, just wow.

Well, um, as a woman approaching that age -- say she must have initiative to make a break for it!

But -- does this particular facility even have a fence???

JMHO YMMV

From your link:
At her hearing, 63-year-old Carla Bousman said that she would have done things differently if she had gotten another chance. “I wish I could go back to that day and change everything and do what I know was the proper thing to do,” she said in the court.

She's only sorry for herself.

So what day would that have been? She can name that day when the adoptive parents started to starve this child, or the day they started to abuse this child, or what day in particular does she mean?

I expect you all can hear my eyes rollin' here.

RIP, Sabrina, comfort & peace to your siblings.

jmho ymmv lrr

Two of Sabrina Ray’s siblings, former foster care children who were also adopted by the Rays, sued the state, claiming authorities failed to protect them from severe physical abuse, torture and neglect. The siblings — identified only by initials in their lawsuit — had pushed for $50 million each but settled for $5 million apiece after mediation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back