GUILTY IA - Sterling Koehn, 4 mos, starved to death, Alta Vista, 30 Aug 2017

So this baby was in the swing seat for over a week???? :eek:

Didn't any of the neighbors notice a dead baby in the swing? WTH?

I still haven’t caught up but I wanted to suggest a theory for this. Since they are drug users, they likely didn’t have people in the apartment at all. I’m interested in reading about the conditions of their house overall, too.

Ok, I PROMISE I won’t reply until I’m all caught up so I don’t clog the thread with theories y’all have already come up with!

An ambulance was called to the couple’s Alta Vista apartment on August 30 after Koehn called to report his son Sterling Koehn had died, just a few hours after he said Harris fed the child.

The baby was found in a powered/swing seat in a different bedroom from where the couple and their other child slept.

An autopsy found the infant measured well below the 5th percentile in size and weight for the child’s age. Maggots were also found in various stages of development on the child’s skin and in his clothing. A forensic entomologist was able to determine the child
“had not had a diaper change, bath, or been removed from the seat in over a week.”

parents1.jpg

http://fox8.com/2017/10/26/infant-found-infested-with-maggots-parents-charged-with-murder/

Ok, so I’m all caught up now.

This is why I’m thinking it’s considered first degree murder & not something else like manslaughter via neglect. It seems that this poor baby was kept in a separate room his entire life, purposely & intentionally, knowing the outcome would be death.

They didnt neglect him to death, they straight up murdered him. They just did it in the most inhumane way possible.

Ughhhh, their mugshots are ticking me off. They seem so cavalier & the “mother” looks downright indignant.

From across the pond, but love is worldwide. I know I will not be able to comment here but I will follow this case for these poor innocents injured by their parents. Were there no outside family, noone who cared, in laws, whatever ? - I will never understand the evil people are capable of.
No words, but poor baby who so many would have loved and cared for. I am so angry, angry !!

Trainspotting exactly....one of the first things that came to my mind.....horrific...

I haven’t read the whole thread yet but I’m assuming they did an extremely thorough investigation to bring 1st degree murder charges & have them really prove beyond reasonable doubt to a jury of hopefully 12 reasonable, rational people who will subsequently convict & put these two away for life. I’m anti-death penalty & so is Mr. Lotus & I also was a combat medic in Iraq during the invasion & I’m constantly researching repugnant crimes & crime scene photos so I’ve seen A LOT of really messed up stuff (after enduring an incredibly sexually/physically/emotionally/verbally abusive childhood) but THIS, I can’t get my effing head around it. I’m sorry if saying effing broke a rule. My point of that was Mr. Lotus & I agreed this morning that they deserve the death penalty. Which is really saying a lot, coming from either of us.

I’m not a reactionary person or an alarmist. It takes a whole lot to get me this shook. I mean a whole lot. I’m not desensitized because I’m still appalled at the stuff going on around the world but there isn’t even a word close to appalling that would be adequate to describe this utter depraved apathy.

It reminds me of a mission I was on with my guys (I was in a “line” unit; yes the whole “no women are on the front lines” thing was a lie) where we were searching for some insurgents responsible for an attack on another company in our battalion. Well, we’re going house to house in this village. Since I was the medic, I went along to provide medical assistance if needed, regardless of who it is, bad or good & I took that very seriously (Note: the lady I’m about to write about wasn’t “bad” & my whole view on that war changed as I got older & wiser but the treatment of women was/still is bad, they’re not even considered people to a lot of them, sadly). We got to this one house & my guys have cleared the inside so we headed out back to clear the out buildings & we all just stop. Why? Oh because we see a woman chained to a tree, crawling with maggots & flies. In her ears, eyes, mouth, just everywhere, all over her body, so I’m fixin to get a body bag for transport. Until. She. Blinked. She was medevac to the nearest CSH & I don’t know if she made it or not. I hope she did but with that much necrosis, it was just... nobody could believe our own eyes. This was very, very early on & a sign of what was to come.

Sorry for the tangent & personal information. Also, I know drugs are gonna be brought up & sometimes on here, I’m the resident ex-junkie (can I get verified for that, I ask half-jokingly but on more than a few occasions, people have thanked me for the somewhat extensive & never sugar coated insight I was able to provide, I mean, I was an expert in it for over a decade!) so I’m going to say the same thing I say in most cases of infant death via neglect/abuse/murder where the parents are involved with drugs: It wasn’t the drugs that made them do this. It made them worse, but there are millions of active, habitual users of heroin, crack & meth that would be equally as appalled as I am. You have to have something wrong with your brain first in order to have that malice & intent. It goes far beyond neglect in this case because they knowingly left him there, knowing the end result would be death. Mental illnesses are not excuses & neither are drugs. Only in rare & extenuating circumstances do severe mental deficit cases move forward as a plausible defense.

I had had to come out of lurking to say that THIS poor baby Sterling, how he died, just.... I have not been THIS disgusted since deployment about anything.

This is is so incredibly sad. Sterling, you were too good for this Earth. The ONLY solace I take is knowing that Sterling won’t be continually abused & neglected for 18 years. I know that sounds so weird but I’m just...idk what but I’m feeling something that at least that poor baby endured that for a short time? There isn’t even any solace in that because I can’t stand the facts of what Sterling endured in his short life & I REALLY can’t stand that I have to share the planet with not only these two seriously messed up people but also knowing there are more like them out there.
Thank you very much for your service.

I haven’t read the whole thread yet but I’m assuming they did an extremely thorough investigation to bring 1st degree murder charges & have them really prove beyond reasonable doubt to a jury of hopefully 12 reasonable, rational people who will subsequently convict & put these two away for life. I’m anti-death penalty & so is Mr. Lotus & I also was a combat medic in Iraq during the invasion & I’m constantly researching repugnant crimes & crime scene photos so I’ve seen A LOT of really messed up stuff (after enduring an incredibly sexually/physically/emotionally/verbally abusive childhood) but THIS, I can’t get my effing head around it. I’m sorry if saying effing broke a rule. My point of that was Mr. Lotus & I agreed this morning that they deserve the death penalty. Which is really saying a lot, coming from either of us.

I’m not a reactionary person or an alarmist. It takes a whole lot to get me this shook. I mean a whole lot. I’m not desensitized because I’m still appalled at the stuff going on around the world but there isn’t even a word close to appalling that would be adequate to describe this utter depraved apathy.

It reminds me of a mission I was on with my guys (I was in a “line” unit; yes the whole “no women are on the front lines” thing was a lie) where we were searching for some insurgents responsible for an attack on another company in our battalion. Well, we’re going house to house in this village. Since I was the medic, I went along to provide medical assistance if needed, regardless of who it is, bad or good & I took that very seriously (Note: the lady I’m about to write about wasn’t “bad” & my whole view on that war changed as I got older & wiser but the treatment of women was/still is bad, they’re not even considered people to a lot of them, sadly). We got to this one house & my guys have cleared the inside so we headed out back to clear the out buildings & we all just stop. Why? Oh because we see a woman chained to a tree, crawling with maggots & flies. In her ears, eyes, mouth, just everywhere, all over her body, so I’m fixin to get a body bag for transport. Until. She. Blinked. She was medevac to the nearest CSH & I don’t know if she made it or not. I hope she did but with that much necrosis, it was just... nobody could believe our own eyes. This was very, very early on & a sign of what was to come.

Sorry for the tangent & personal information. Also, I know drugs are gonna be brought up & sometimes on here, I’m the resident ex-junkie (can I get verified for that, I ask half-jokingly but on more than a few occasions, people have thanked me for the somewhat extensive & never sugar coated insight I was able to provide, I mean, I was an expert in it for over a decade!) so I’m going to say the same thing I say in most cases of infant death via neglect/abuse/murder where the parents are involved with drugs: It wasn’t the drugs that made them do this. It made them worse, but there are millions of active, habitual users of heroin, crack & meth that would be equally as appalled as I am. You have to have something wrong with your brain first in order to have that malice & intent. It goes far beyond neglect in this case because they knowingly left him there, knowing the end result would be death. Mental illnesses are not excuses & neither are drugs. Only in rare & extenuating circumstances do severe mental deficit cases move forward as a plausible defense.

I had had to come out of lurking to say that THIS poor baby Sterling, how he died, just.... I have not been THIS disgusted since deployment about anything.

This is is so incredibly sad. Sterling, you were too good for this Earth. The ONLY solace I take is knowing that Sterling won’t be continually abused & neglected for 18 years. I know that sounds so weird but I’m just...idk what but I’m feeling something that at least that poor baby endured that for a short time? There isn’t even any solace in that because I can’t stand the facts of what Sterling endured in his short life & I REALLY can’t stand that I have to share the planet with not only these two seriously messed up people but also knowing there are more like them out there.

My heart is broken with what you have experienced. I send much love and healing thoughts your way. Strength to you and yours *advertiser censored*

Trainspotting exactly....one of the first things that came to my mind.....horrific...

Right. Only in Trainspotting, the fictional characters were mortified at what they had done or neglected to do. Does not look like that's the case for these two.

Neither Harris nor Koehn has had any prior criminal convictions in Iowa, online court records show. Palo confirmed the couple hadn't had any run-ins with Chickasaw County law enforcement before this case.

Court records filed in this case show both Harris and Koehn have reported "a history of substance abuse," specifically methamphetamine use.
Pre-trial services reports filed Wednesday indicate Koehn reported that he had last used meth two months ago, and Harris reported last using meth two to three weeks ago. Both have been placed in substance abuse treatment, the reports show.

Harris is also reportedly being treated for post-traumatic stress disorder.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...tting-swing-parents-charged-murder/802439001/

14 inches long? Is that a typo? How is that possible?

14 inches long? Is that a typo? How is that possible?

I was wondering the same thing. Surely even a preemie would be longer than that at 4 months? I will wait impatiently to hear the full story of this little bub’s life. My kids were 19” and 21” at birth, and both around 7 lbs, pretty average but not very chubby.

I was wondering the same thing. Surely even a preemie would be longer than that at 4 months? I will wait impatiently to hear the full story of this little bub’s life. My kids were 19” and 21” at birth, and both around 7 lbs, pretty average but not very chubby.

My only one similar to yours. 21 inches long and 7lbs

That report must be a mistake surely, how could that be possible?.

Normally I don't like most comments on facebook, but I have to admit the comments here are perfect..definitely what I'm thinking to myself! moo

I wish I could comment but it won’t let me.

4432bf932593fe6601fb53ca356e7c88.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh man, when I saw that? Like, what tf? Oh, this is when they were clean as they said, likely due to being under investigation. This goes to show again, it’s not the drugs. While the drugs don’t make anything better, these people had something wrong with them to begin with. These people are way sick. Way messed up.

Whenever I think I've heard the worst, something even more evil comes along.

No words are adequate to explain this atrocity. And is it my imagination, or is Mom working a little smirk in her mugshot?

Life in a cold, dark cell for these two.

No, you’re not imagining it; she looks like she’s trying really hard to fight off the swallowed a canary look. The liar’s smile, I believe it’s called.

The dude looks indignant; like they’re messing up his day.

Gross.

They didn't even have enough sense to change the diaper before the police came.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

They weren’t thinking about that because they planned it. I’d looooooove to hear their “explanation”.

if she was arrested Wednesday--48 hours ago, how is she still posting on FB? Were they released already?

If I’m interpreting correctly, Sterling died because he was unattended in a mechanical baby swing for no less than a week. A 4 month old needs care at least every few hours. As horrible as it is, having had children in diapers for 13 out of the last 18 years, and a trash bin right outside I’ve seen maggots infest a poopy diaper very quickly outside in the bin. Then the last two kids we used cloth diapers, at a minimum we would have enough diapers for at least 12-15 changes per day. An average 4 month old should be fed every 3-4 hours. The thought of what this poor baby went through because the people who should have cared were to strung out to do so is absolutely heartbreaking. I think every bit of the neglect contributed to his death and the infection and sores were probably painful and potentially fatal (sepsis?) but dehydration due to not being fed was probably what actually killed him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems like they left him in that room since he was born, being that he only weighed seven pounds. Like it was their plan all along. I wonder if the tox screen om autopsy shows. Ugh ugh ugh!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awb1903
Back