ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 52

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure that after he saw the effects of stabbing a knife into one person that, at that point, he knew he was killing someone with a knife, and yet he moved right along to the next person.

That's premeditation. What else would it be? Even if he was somehow overtaken by passion and jealousy at the sight of his unintended victim, he went on to three more. His feet moved him around the house, instructed by his brain.

IMO, K was in her own room at the beginning of this, fled to M's room, where he killed both of them. He knew what a knife can do and he had one in his hand, he unsheathed it, no one else unsheathed. When you have a big personal defense/offense knife and you unsheath it, you know you have a big weapon in your hand.

He then thrust the weapon into the first victim and now had first hand knowledge of what the knife could do. He continued to use the knife.

That's premeditation, under the law, IMO. Even if he had some squirrelly argument about one of the victims "making him do it" or "causing extreme passion such that he could not control himself."

Oh, and of course, he entered the house in the middle of the night, knowing it was not his house and that he had no legal right to be there. With a knife. Which he unsheathed. After driving around the house 4 times and even having to do a 3 point turn to get himself in position to park where he wanted to park.

And he turned off his phone beforehand.
He seems like the kind of person who would have followed a well rehearsed script, imo. And who would not have deviated from that script, regardless of unanticipated circumstances. All moo.

I feel for the families of the students. IMO early comments by authorities implying that roommates could be witnesses makes sense. IMO going out to get tatoos and not speaking to murdered students families also makes sense. IMO fear can paralyze.
Good point! This makes me wonder if the surviving roommates were put in a type of witness protection of sorts until the suspect was apprehended. Can you even imagine what the roommates have been through? Not specific to the online accusations but D.M. Knowing she saw something that night and not reacting the way she feels like she should have or done something right then.
Knowing she saw him and he saw her... My heart aches for everyone involved but especially D.M.

I think they are trying to saying they have direct proof that these cell pings are from a cell phone he uses. They say they have video of him at the grocery store too, just to indicate that there's a direct connection between the phone pings and him, and it was not a phone that was sold or that he let someone else borrow.
I liked that they said they specifically saw him exit the vehicle they believe was involved in the crime and that he is on video doing so.

As for DM, I feel terrible for her. Maybe we would have reacted differently. Maybe we wouldn't have. Maybe her phone wasn't in the room with her or maybe it was dead. Maybe she was terrified. Maybe she talked herself out of believing that it was something terrible.

No matter what, she does not deserve the judgment, ridicule, and vitriol she is receiving all over the internet. People are saying she was obviously involved. That she's "sus," and those aren't even anywhere near the worst things said about her.

I hope she is in a private place, surrounded with love, and protected from what these people are saying about her. She is a VICTIM too.

It would seem he took the knife in with its sheath and left with a unsheathed knife. Even if we kept blood off his clothes, blood on the knife should transfer to his car seat or carpet.

It is interesting that LE seemed to know who they were looking for very early on. It also is obvious why they thought the attack was targeted.

I also suspect the roommate's actions will make much more sense when the truth comes out. This document was designed to keep a murderer off the streets and in jail, not to give a blow-by-blow description of what happened.

The surviving roommate, identified at DM, heard crying, whimpering, and the dog barking - in other words she heard the murders--and saw the murderer walk by her dressed in black and black mask, like a ninja, and leave. <modsnip>

From the probable cause affidavit:

"D.M. stated she originally went to sleep in her bedroom on the southeast side of the second floor. D.M. stated she was awoken at approximately 4:00 a-m. by what she stated sounded like Goncalves playing with her dog in one of the upstairs bedroom's, which were located on the third floor. A short time later, D.M. said she heard who she thought was Goncalves say something to the effect of "there's someone here." A review of records obtained from a forensic download of Kenodle's phone showed this could also have been Kemodle as her cellular phone indicated she was likely awake and using the TikTok app at approximately 4:12 a.m D.M. stated she looked out of her bedroom but did not see anything when she heard the comment about someone being in the house. D,M. stated she opened her door a second time when she heard what she thought was crying coming from Kenodle's room. D.M. then said she heard a male voice say something to the effect of "it's ok, I'm going to help you."At approximately 4:17 a"m., a security camera located at I 112 King Road, a residence immediately to the northwest of 1122 King Road, picked up distorted audio of what sounded like voices or a whimper followed by a loud thud. A dog can also be heard barking numerous times starting at 4:17 a-m. The security camera is less than fifty feet from the west wall of Kernodle's bedroom. D.M. said she opened her door for the third time after she heard the crying and saw a figure clad in black clothing and a mask that covered the person's mouth and nose walking towards her. D.M. described the figure as 5' 10" or taller, male, not very muscular, but athletically built with bushy eyebrows. The male walked past D.M. as she stood in a "frozen shock phase." The male walked towards the back sliding glass door. D.M. locked herself in her 4 room after seeing the male. D.M. did not state that she recognized the male. This leads investigators to believe that the murderer left the scene"

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as returning for knife sheath , he would have likely thought that the roommate would have called 911 as soon as he left the house. So when we look at the logic or illogic of his movements in the hours after the murders we need to keep that in mind.

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson

·
7m
Affidavit:

Police traced the cell records to determine if Kohberger stalked the victims ahead of time. At least TWELVE occasions prior to Nov 13 his phone was in the area of the home. "All of these occasions, except for one, occurred in the late evening and early morning hours.
So curious about why/how he chose these victims and what the motive was.

Me too. I have the same theory. I actually mentioned Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde here on WS, I believe. I think it's consistent with certain known mental states that other criminals have had. Truly bizarre.

I think it's also worth considering that people at his apartment building mentioned that he was frequently up at night (the downstairs neighbor said so). They may have noticed this only after the murders, but I'm guessing he had trouble sleeping. His computer use and phone use will probably show that. As a loner (we have no evidence that he ever had a friend at WSU or any other place) he would have grown accustomed to interior role-playing as a way of having dialogue with someone (himself). Unfortunately, people acting alone and mainly on their own internal advice often get themselves into trouble (rarely murdering, which is why this crime still stands out among all the other crimes I know about).

He's still one for the record books (only mass murder of this type that I can think of - in which it's not ideologically based nor family annihilation). He may have seen his victim(s) before, but I don't think he interacted with them in any meaningful way.
Me too. I have the same theory. I actually mentioned Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde here on WS, I believe. I think it's consistent with certain known mental states that other criminals have had. Truly bizarre.

Would you please share examples of the known mental states of other criminals?

I wasn't able to copy, but page 7 of the PCA states that a camera shows the suspect car was seen passing the victims house for the fourth time at 4:04. I had long suspected he was hiding in the house prior to the victims returning home, but it doesn't appear that happened.
Perhaps on his first approach he saw a car pull into the driveway, which ended up being DoorDash. Had this been other friends, the whole thing might have not happened. Then he realizes it was only DoorDash, so he drives by, turns around, and comes back. It could also have been nerves (can I do this or not) affecting him. If he saw the doordash (which he had to have see), it implies there is someone awake in the house. That's what blows my mind, is that he had to have known that there was at least one person awake. Again, I have to read the timeframes again to see if this all fits.

I don't disagree with you, but BK was a PhD student (not a candidate) and there are some important distinctions. He was a first semester student who was in coursework, he hadn't taken any exams, and he certainly hadn't begun work on his dissertation. So he was far from an expert in criminology, despite his previous MA work.
Good point. I think it's important also to remind ourselves that intelligence comes in many forms that are not necessarily associated in the same person. The Ph.D. degree can demand a very specific kind of intelligence that can be trained to understand a narrow field of study in extraordinary detail, and to raise and pursue questions that would never occur to those of us without such intelligence and training. This form of intelligence is very valuable, especially if it works within a scientific community that keeps pushing the limits of human knowledge.

But it's useless when other forms of intelligence are required, and it is not a badge signifying superior wisdom, morality, or even basic life skills. Those of us who come in contact with many Ph.Ds on a daily basis know they cannot be characterized as a group, any more than any other large group of humans. I know some who are supremely ethical, compassionate, and generous, and many who are none of these things.

I believe BK set out to improve on BTK's record as a serial killer, but he lacked the basic form of intelligence required: cunning.

I still can't get over the terror the poor victims must have felt in their last moments.

As far as DM calling 911 - imo it wouldn't have made a difference whether she called right away. From the little we've heard, I don't think (speculation on my part) the victims had survivable injuries.

As for DM, I just want to hug her. She‘s not at fault for anything that happened, she escaped being slaughtered by sheer luck, and she was able to get a basic description which helped the case.

Whether she didn’t call 911 right away because she wasn’t sure he was a lethal threat or she was terrified doesn’t matter, she didn’t do anything wrong. Victims shouldn’t be expected to be perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Livianth