Identified! ID - Dubois, WhtMale Skeletal UP13310, Buffalo Cave, Aug 1979 - 1870-1916 Joseph Henry Loveless

Fascinating case, I feel like I am watching a silent film western as this type of story would not at all be an unusual one for the silver screen back in the early to mid-1920's.

So I wonder if one of his descendents has an actual photo of him? That reconstruction is incredible given how old this case is.

My favourite game, Red Dead Redemption 2, is based on this era. It’s an amazing world they have created and I can spend hours on my horse travelling around the different townships and terrains, pursuing anything from bootlegging to bounty hunting. You can be good or bad.

This story captured my interest today, it’s the sort of tale that would be weaved into the game.

His head being missing makes me suspect, like others here, that he was killed for a bounty. It would be used as proof of death, either for lawmen or an outlaw gang. He may have been shot in the head too, as no bullets or other fatal injuries are reported on his body. Likely dismembered to stow the remains in a bag that could be carried by horse to the cave.

My favourite game, Red Dead Redemption 2, is based on this era. It’s an amazing world they have created and I can spend hours on my horse travelling around the different townships and terrains, pursuing anything from bootlegging to bounty hunting. You can be good or bad.

This story captured my interest today, it’s the sort of tale that would be weaved into the game.

His head being missing makes me suspect, like others here, that he was killed for a bounty. It would be used as proof of death, either for lawmen or an outlaw gang. He may have been shot in the head too, as no bullets or other fatal injuries are reported on his body. Likely dismembered to stow the remains in a bag that could be carried by horse to the cave.
Red Dead Redemption 2 is set nearly 20 years before Henry's death. There was significant progress made in that time and we were in the midst of The Great War but the game's setting feels more Midwestern and even Southeastern, so Utah's relative remoteness might have presented parallels - not to mention the LDS elements to this story that Rockstar would be unlikely to address especially these days unless heavily, heavily cloaked in allegory.

If I were to take inspiration from this case for a story, video game or otherwise, I would cast the protagonist as a bounty hunter. In act 1 he would pursue a red herring, someone he mistook for Loveless. He would meet someone else who had made the same mistake from whom he would learn that a gang had claimed they'd killed him to collect a higher bounty offered by his wife's family. In act 2 we would meet their children who had various different impressions of their father and his relationship with their murdered mother. One would believe he was a violent criminal, one would believe he'd killed before but only in self defense and another would believe that he loved their mother deeply and probably escaped jail to avenge her. In act 3, possible motives would arise that the very people who claimed the bounty on Loveless might have murdered his wife in the first place and only our protagonist's investigations of the gang, of the wife's family and ultimately of the cave would reveal the truth.

Of course there was no actual point to investigating that way in the old west, "justice" was a very fluid thing which is why video games can be such a compelling medium to tell stories about it.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ANONstarter
Back