Found Deceased ID - Sierra 'Simon' Bush, 18, Boise, 24 Sept 2016 *Arrest*

Marchant pleads guilty to Sierra Bush murder

A man accused of killing a Boise State University student entered a guilty plea on a charge of first-degree murder Tuesday morning in an Ada County courtroom. Bruce Marchant, 62, was originally charged with rape, murder and kidnapping.

Marchant reached a plea agreement with the Ada County Prosecutor’s Office in which prosecutors agreed to drop the rape and kidnapping charges in turn for him pleading guilty to murder.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/community/boise/article171307582.html

Judge Jonathan Medema, who initially seemed concerned about the validity of the plea, asked Marchant why he chose to plead guilty. Marchant offered two explanations. First, he said, if the case had gone to trial, “you have no choice but to give the maximum penalty.” (Medema disputed that, telling Marchant that if the state pursued the death penalty, it would be up to a jury to decide.)

After conferring with his attorney, David Smethers, Marchant added, “I want to plead guilty because that’s what happened.”

He said he didn’t want to slow the court down or “cause the family any more grief than what I’ve caused already.”

His sentencing is currently scheduled for December 6th.

Killer in Boise State student’s death sentenced to life in prison without parole

Bruce Marchant has led an extremely violent life.

The 62-year-old will spend the rest of it in prison after he repaid one man’s kindness with pure evil — and robbed Boise of one of its bright young stars, 18-year-old Sierra Bush.

“In my view, Mr. Marchant is a dangerous person,” Fourth District Judge Jonathan Medema said in sentencing Marchant for first-degree murder. “Mr. Marchant has been dangerous for a long time … and will continue to be dangerous until the day he dies.”

“Mr. Marchant can conform his behavior to get what he wants, when he wants it,” Medema said. He said he did not believe Marchant has experienced anything close to actual remorse for killing Bush.

“It would be a dereliction of my duty to fashion a sentence that ever permits you to be released into society again,” Medema said.

http://www.ktvb.com/news/crime/life-sentence-no-parole-for-boise-state-students-murderer/497398440

Bush's mother Mary Helen Green said after her daughter's disappearance, she had held out hope that Bush was simply being held captive somewhere. Each time she received a phone call from detectives or heard the sound of a helicopter or siren, her heart lifted with the thought that her daughter was being returned to her.

Green described her grief as a "boulder" she carried with her everywhere.

"I loved this child," she said, as she began to cry. "Being her mother was one of the best things I have ever done."

Bart Green said Marchant had robbed his stepdaughter of the chance to graduate college, find a career, fall in love, or realize the potential that had been waiting for her in adulthood. He told the judge he was "haunted" by thoughts of Bush's terrified final moments.

"I will forever have to contemplate what brutality Mr. Marchant inflicted on Sierra prior to killing her, and the absolute fear, terror, and pain she must have experienced," he said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back