Idaho Student Says Teacher Tossed His Mexican Flag In The Trash

A flag is not a gun. It is harmless, and it was Cinco De Mayo, very appropriate. The teacher's actions were inappropriate. Would you feel the same way if a kid brought in an American flag? We're not talking the KKK flag or the Nazi flag.

Actually, a flag is not harmless. Here in Texas and in other border states/cities, the rallies and marches have created quite a stir in recent years and there have been fights, shootings, etc. because students decided to "wear their colors" during school. They were NOT even allowing American flags to be worn on clothing or anything else. I find that was the right choice. While I'm all for showing pride, I don't believe that school is the place to take a stand.

That's exactly why I refuse to display the American flag or say the pledge of allegiance, because of attitudes like yours. I understand that you live in Texas, I live in California. Plenty of illegal aliens here too, but that's not what this is about, and the kid had a right to display his flag whether he was born this side of the border or not. Believe it or not, California and Texas used to belong to Mexico, so it actually is part of both of our state heritages!

Negative. The kid has to obey the school's policies. That is where his rights END. If you choose to not honor your flag or its Pledge, that's your right, but don't hide behind me or "people like me." Men and women have died for that flag and what it stands for. If you can't appreciate that, then I'd personally rather not have you come near one.

As a Mexican-American family (Legally from Mexico) I am going to go out on a limb here and say this kid should have never brought the flag to school.

WIth all the tension about illegal immigration and the backlash from those who break our laws by coming here without proper visas, this immigration problem is only going to get worse.

THe teacher did what he thought was best. No, he shouldn't have thrown it in the trash but the kid should have left it at home.

Actually, a flag is not harmless. Here in Texas and in other border states/cities, the rallies and marches have created quite a stir in recent years and there have been fights, shootings, etc. because students decided to "wear their colors" during school. They were NOT even allowing American flags to be worn on clothing or anything else. I find that was the right choice. While I'm all for showing pride, I don't believe that school is the place to take a stand.

Exactly, I agree (what are the odds?) Down here, taking a Confederate flag to school will get you booted out, and rightly so.

It's done to incite, nothing more.

As a Mexican-American family (Legally from Mexico) I am going to go out on a limb here and say this kid should have never brought the flag to school.

WIth all the tension about illegal immigration and the backlash from those who break our laws by coming here without proper visas, this immigration problem is only going to get worse.

THe teacher did what he thought was best. No, he shouldn't have thrown it in the trash but the kid should have left it at home.

Hello! :clap:

Negative. The kid has to obey the school's policies. That is where his rights END.

I do agree with upholding school policies and I agree that if the school had a policy in place the kid should/would have lost his rights for breaking the rules. However, I didn't notice any comments stating that the student broke any school rules. Perhaps the kid used poor judgement. Perhaps the teacher was right to take the flag. Flags are symbolic, and putting it in the trash takes it a step beyond just trying to keep kids orderly. Should any flag from any country be put in the trash? No.

Exactly, I agree (what are the odds?) Down here, taking a Confederate flag to school will get you booted out, and rightly so.

It's done to incite, nothing more.

Exactly. Its like saying religion isn't dangerous. More wars have been fought over that than just about anything else. God knows that those of us who border Mexico love the people and the culture. We welcome with open arms anyone from Mexico, Canada or any other countries who comes here LEGALLY. However, children DO NOT make the choice about whether to come here, either legally or illegally. Therefore, I think that children picking up the discussion and having it at school is not only dangerous, but will solve nothing. Children who were brought here illegally by their parents are innocent and deserve to be protected, even if that means they have to leave their flags at home. THIS IS NOT TO SAY that I'm accusing the child in this instance of being here illegally. The child may well have been born in the United States. I'm just saying that no child should pay for what the adults in his or her life do.

The kid should not have brought the flag to school. It doesn't sound like the school was doing anything to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, therefore the flag was just a disruption and the teacher had a right to get rid of the distraction.

However, I think he crossed the line at throwing it away and I don't believe his, "I didn't have anywhere else to put it." statement. I'm not sure that I believe either his or the student's account of what was said between them.

All in all, I can't believe the ACLU is involved. It's ridiculous. School is school. You DO NOT have the right to say and/or do whatever you want while there.

I do agree with upholding school policies and I agree that if the school had a policy in place the kid should/would have lost his rights for breaking the rules. However, I didn't notice any comments stating that the student broke any school rules. Perhaps the kid used poor judgement. Perhaps the teacher was right to take the flag. Flags are symbolic, and putting it in the trash takes it a step beyond just trying to keep kids orderly. Should any flag from any country be put in the trash? No.

I'm not sure whether we've heard about whether the school had a policy or not, but I'm pretty sure they'll have one now!!! LOL And, you're completely correct in your entire post! No flag should ever be disrespected like that.

I just have to say...people who recommend that people who are proud of their country of origin should go back there just irks me. I shouldn't have to explain how ignorant of a statement that is.

I just have to say...people who recommend that people who are proud of their country of origin should go back there just irks me. I shouldn't have to explain how ignorant of a statement that is.

And confusing. I'd have to have half of me shipped to Norway and the other half to Germany. OUCH!

Exactly. Its like saying religion isn't dangerous. More wars have been fought over that than just about anything else. God knows that those of us who border Mexico love the people and the culture. We welcome with open arms anyone from Mexico, Canada or any other countries who comes here LEGALLY. However, children DO NOT make the choice about whether to come here, either legally or illegally. Therefore, I think that children picking up the discussion and having it at school is not only dangerous, but will solve nothing. Children who were brought here illegally by their parents are innocent and deserve to be protected, even if that means they have to leave their flags at home. THIS IS NOT TO SAY that I'm accusing the child in this instance of being here illegally. The child may well have been born in the United States. I'm just saying that no child should pay for what the adults in his or her life do.

I agree with every word!

If the boy was Irish and had an Irish flag, would he have taken that away? Just like many of us celebrate St Patrick's Day here, others celebrate Cinco de May. I don't think the teacher had any right to take the flag and put it in the garbage. If it was on a stick, the teacher could have told the boy he must take the stick away and would give it back at the end of the day, letting the boy keep the cloth flag part. That way any issues of the stick being dangerous would have been dealt with. To take the whole flag away is blatantly rude and disrespectful. Many people celebrate their cultural holidays, yet still are have pride in America as citizens. So many celebrate St Patty's day, and other Holidays that have originated in their homelands. America is a melting pot of different cultures, and tolerance should be taught and practiced.

America is a melting pot of different cultures, and tolerance should be taught and practiced.

Oh. Then you won't mind me bringing my Confederate flag to your school.

Right on!

(Again, it (most likely) was brought to school to incite a problem, the school has the right (as do the teachers) to do what they feel is best for ALL students) Not just this little precious snowflake.

(Again, it (most likely) was brought to school to incite a problem, the school has the right (as do the teachers) to do what they feel is best for ALL students) Not just this little precious snowflake.

Well...it WAS Cinco de Mayo. It's not like it was just some random day.

Right on!

Kids is my high school wore tshirts with the Confederate flag on them to school and no one bothered them. So if you went to my school when i did, no i wouldn't care. It's one's own personal preference what flag or flags you want to bring or wear. Personally, i respect the rights of others and whatever flag they want to wave.

I don't see a problem if the boy wants to wave the Mexican flag, but it shouldn't be done at school. The teacher should've told him to put it in his locker or sent him to the principals office with it not thrown it in the garbage. This is afterall, America where you have freedom of speech. The ACLU needs to stay out of it. :twocents:

Right on!

You don't really have a Confederate flag, do you?????? I know you're in the "deep south," but seriously.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back