Ideas and Input on Creating a Case Reference Library

Dunno. For the purposes of Casey's trial, perhaps. Volunteering? :D

IMO, there is so much already released in this case that I'd like to see a bunch of people populate it to get it up & running, then perhaps hand it off to a central Librarian (vs. Administrator). Laying it solely on one person right now seems to be asking a lot.

Long-term goal is that WS Members could choose to either download themselves to keep their own notes/references, or as cases progress a specific person might take on the task of having an administrator, much like AngelWhoCares puts in much time and effort in updating media threads.
I see what you mean.. alot for one person. We will just have to be vigilant in posting correct dates, etc.. and double check references as we go along.

here ya go....elfie....a free *mug*

you didnt say what kind of mug you wanted.....:floorlaugh:

A separate thread would probably be best, so we don't clog up this one, as it's off-topic to Casey's Computer Forensics.

Looks like a good start! While I agree it would be too much for one person to populate, with a bunch of people entering, without some written guidelines on how to enter things exactly the same, it could get a little messy. Motion titles should be exactly as written, last name/first name format, etc.

A separate thread would probably be best, so we don't clog up this one, as it's off-topic to Casey's Computer Forensics.

Looks like a good start! While I agree it would be too much for one person to populate, with a bunch of people entering, without some written guidelines on how to enter things exactly the same, it could get a little messy. Motion titles should be exactly as written, last name/first name format, etc.

Ok, I will see when our fav Mod is on, start a new thread, then ask to have these posts moved over so we don't sully this great thread.

I'm torn between Cecy's great points on collaboration and yours on clean data/consistency. Excel makes for easier collaboration, especially online. Controlling input masks and select lists is a lot easier to manage in Access (and faster to whip together the structure.)

Let's wait and see what majority wants when the new thread is up.

Ok, first kick at the can - critique & suggest at will - keeping in mind this was a .5 hour job so far and I need to fix/edit a bunch more because I just worked off an existing db. If I do it in Access and compile as an executable, it would be useful on more cases going forward, as people could use it themselves for any case, as they see fit. Our very own WS Case Reference Library App. (I'd better get a free mug.) :D

2afbqdf.jpg

We can move this to a different thread for discussion and input, if you guys think that is appropriate.

TE, very impressive work. :thumb: If I can add a suggestion here. Is it possible to correlate the "todays current news" threads, thanks to Angel Who Cares, info for the date of release of either/or videos and docs.

It seems that most of us who have been posting since this case became public go back in our "IIRC" modes for the date of release, not when the doc actually took place. Also many of the docs released contain material and info already released. Which confuses some even more.

When I was a lurker in the beginning months Patty Gs thread helped a lot. Now with all the info we have, thank you Sunshine Law, we have over 10K pages of docs, not to mention the videos.

Something like this:

Categories -

Interviews/depo/general daily updates (media interviews and such)
Forensics -car,-A home,-computers,- _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Forensics -remains site,-Caylees autopsy,-_ _ _ _ _ _ _

Media date release
Doc interview/depo date
Video/audio date (if included)
Ping threads
Map threads

Think the best way to compile this is by using Angel Who Cares current daily news thread and cross reference the rest with the reference folder. If a bunch of use each take a months worth of daily releases we can get it up and running rather quickly. Its all there, just not in a handy reference state.

I'm willing to help.

Agree, CountZero, having media story links (if there are any) for each document would be great! They sometimes reveal details that aren't in the actual document.

(I haven't been posting long, though I've lurked for quite a while. Hope my $.02 are welcome anyway. :) )

I think a collaborative database would be best. Even if people don't quite enter information correctly, at least it's in there, and others can perhaps go back and polish entries. I know it's really often that I wonder where I saw something, go through documents, figure it out, then move on. Many others probably do too. If everyone entered the document they just looked at, the thing would be populated in no time. I often wish I'd set up a wiki so I could add things to it whenever I located whatever I was looking for, for next time and for others. Which leads me to....

Here's a thought about an alternative to the database (which is certainly not intended to diminish ThoughtElf's work so far!). What about a wiki? Wikis handle categorization pretty well, right? If documents are put up or linked, then people can tag/categorize each (with type, date released, date, genre, involved party, notes, and so on) then "sorting" would kind of take care of itself based on what's been tagged/categorized. And more categories could always be added. Maybe this would be easier to create and access? Also, access could be limited to specific users or not, etc.

(Also, regarding the pdf -> word thing: Acrobat Pro lets you "recognize text using ocr" in a pdf. So then it's searchable, but still looks good.)

Ok, so I went ahead and did this wiki thing. It's just an overview/example. This sort of thing is basically just fun for me to set up, so if it seems like not the best idea, totally say so. If you guys are open to it, any and all suggestions are appreciated. Then we could set up a non-sandbox version and then open it up for editing. But, again, just say the word if it should be abandoned so as to put all reference library efforts into ThoughtElf's database.

The organization of the whole thing stems from tags. I explained my vision (heh) on the home page.

Here it is:
http://referencelibrarysandbox.wetpaint.com/

ETA: Perhaps if we went with the wiki idea, a legitimate wiki might be better than the wetpaint thing. I think there would be more robust categorization and functionality. Though, on the other hand, there would be more intensive maintenance and issues of hosting, etc. Hard to say.

Ok, so I went ahead and did this wiki thing. It's just an overview/example. This sort of thing is basically just fun for me to set up, so if it seems like not the best idea, totally say so. If you guys are open to it, any and all suggestions are appreciated. Then we could set up a non-sandbox version and then open it up for editing. But, again, just say the word if it should be abandoned so as to put all reference library efforts into ThoughtElf's database.

The organization of the whole thing stems from tags. I explained my vision (heh) on the home page.

Here it is:

ETA: Perhaps if we went with the wiki idea, a legitimate wiki might be better than the wetpaint thing. I think there would be more robust categorization and functionality. Though, on the other hand, there would be more intensive maintenance and issues of hosting, etc. Hard to say.

Looks good to me!
Is the page open to all? don't know if that is what everyone wants or just something open to websleuth posters.

Wow!! What a cool tool!

Thanks for the work you put in. Meaning no offense to ThoughtElf who originated the prior reference library suggestion, and with the caveat that I don't really know anything about either of the types of programs under discussion, this one seems really user friendly. (Of course it has a lot more ads, though.) I hope that you get group approval for this. It seems really easy to access and develop. I would so love to not have to spend so much time trying to find something I read 16 months ago.

I especially enjoyed:

"Overview:

Conducted on 05/08/09, This was the first major interview that local police had with Jane. She was wearing a clown suit, and was being pretty antagonistic.

Download here:
http://www.yermomma.com

Salient Content:
Jane: Don't make me go there
Bob Policeman: What's with the clown suit?"

LOL!

Thanks everyone :)

Here are the like wetpaint permissions/privacy settings:
(screenshot was easier than retyping :) )

wpperms.jpg

So yeah... I'm not sure which, if any, of these options people want.

I guess if people like the idea, we can come up with the set of possible tags and then do a whole new (non "sandbox") page.

I like the idea of consolidation and indexing, but I am not fond of it being off this site. I trust the links and members here, but wouldn't if it was off-site because of lack of control allowing non-members put links and docs on the master list. KWIM

I wouldn't mind the master list being in a members only folder either. Again, KWIM.................

I am 100% in support of an index and cross reference system. BUT.....I know that the defense will use our hard work. Is there a way to limit access to any such program to legitimate parties? Wow...I sound paranoid don't I?

Thanks everyone :)

Here are the like wetpaint permissions/privacy settings:
(screenshot was easier than retyping :) )

wpperms.jpg

So yeah... I'm not sure which, if any, of these options people want.

I guess if people like the idea, we can come up with the set of possible tags and then do a whole new (non "sandbox") page.

Props to you, you semantic-tagging, SM working, E2.0 enhancing geek!

Why the heck didn't I just think of a Wiki???? You kicked me where I live, (or should, as I do this crap daily.) Great idea!

Not familiar with WetPaint. I use WikiDot for group wiki. Leaving it up to the crew to determine security/posting preferences.

Also - starting a new thread and have asked JB to move all these reference library posts over to it. Will post link to new thread once it is ready.

New thread for discussion so we don't go further off on a tangent on this excellent thread:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4334114&posted=1#post4334114

We've had some discussion about creating a case reference library on another thread. Will have all the relevant posts moved here for further discussion, input & ideas.

Here it is:

Just checked it out and must offer public kudos and bow to your skill.

You structured those tags like an RDF pro looking towards Web 3.0 . Holy carp, I am in the presence of a thought-leader. And since my name is all about the ThoughtElf the semantic web will provide for me... that is genuine praise. #mutualadmirationsociety

I'm falling in line behind Panama.

I am all for it as long as the defense circus doesn't benefit from any of the WS hard work. We don't need to fuel the "lazy train".

I think it's a great idea but I agree w/ Sleuther's post that JB and his crew are not invited to the party, so to speak.
I have docs and links all over my comp but it would be easier to go to a "library"!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back