If innocent, would a press conference help Terri?

Yes I think it would help Terri in the long run IF she is innocent of Kyron being missing.
I think it would help a great deal. People in part are forming the opinion she is guilty because of her no statement stance, so if she spoke up I think public op. might waver....

imo....

On FB, Terri posted an innocuous "hitting the gym" and that three-word phrase was used to define her cold hearted attitude.

DeDe's lack of attention to Terri is being used against Terri in many different ways but the most often used is that it's obvious DeDe can't defend Terri on those things so chose to say nothing.

I'm not sure how, but Terri's fear of harm befalling her is used against her as proof of her cold-heartedness because her friend didn't choose to say something about Kyron's danger.

Again, I assert, there is nothing Terri can say which will NOT be used against her. Heck, she doesn't even have to say something to use it against her.

I don't recall mentioning anything about Terri's FB about her hitting the gym, but it is just another thing that show's how FB is used. DeDe certainly could have shared how distraught Terri was about Kyron, even if just a little after thought.

I know I know, never talk to the cops, never talk to the press, they'll lock you up and throw away the key if you ever make the mistake of talking to them... but IMO if it's a mistake to talk to the cops I think she's already made that mistake. They said that she was completely cooperative in the beginning so IMO it means that she answered their questions and told them where she was, what she did and what she knew about Kyron and the criminal matter in all her five interviews by Day 2. I assume she told the truth because innocent parents would IMO have had very little motivation to lie if they had nothing to hide. They would want to help find her child and to have their alibi confirmed in order for LE to rule them out as soon as possible and move on to find the real perp. So, they tell the truth.

If it's the truth it stays the same in most of the essentials and telling the same story for the umpteenth time in a press conference wouldn't give LE much in the way of new ammunition for the trial IMO.

I know I know, never talk to the cops, never talk to the press, they'll lock you up and throw away the key if you ever make the mistake of talking to them... but IMO if it's a mistake to talk to the cops I think she's already made that mistake. They said that she was completely cooperative in the beginning so IMO it means that she answered their questions and told them where she was, what she did and what she knew about Kyron and the criminal matter in all her five interviews by Day 2. I assume she told the truth because innocent parents would IMO have had very little motivation to lie if they had nothing to hide. They would want to help find her child and to have their alibi confirmed in order for LE to rule them out as soon as possible and move on to find the real perp. So, they tell the truth.

If it's the truth it stays the same in most of the essentials and telling the same story for the umpteenth time in a press conference wouldn't give LE much in the way of new ammunition for the trial IMO.

That's true until your husband and his ex-wife, and LE all get into the press and say your story has holes and they just want answers. Then it's time to shut up and call a lawyer, which she did.

I didn't think Dede's interview showed that Terri was cold hearted (although she didn't make a very good case for her warmheartedness either) but IMO it portrayed Dede as a rather cold fish because there was no concern about Kyron at all in the article, just Terri and her.

But it could have been just the reporter's choice. Perhaps Dede said a lot of things about Kyron and their pain because he was missing and it just didn't suit the reporter's chosen angle.

That's true until your husband and his ex-wife, and LE all get into the press and say your story has holes and they just want answers. Then it's time to shut up and call a lawyer, which she did.

Especially if she is unable to defend herself because her story really has holes in it. Has LE said so?

Shutting up may be wise but it is problematic in the PR department IMO because people often think that silence means consent. Of course PR is not her most important concern and can't override the needs of her legal defence, if she'll need one.

It's just that she may never be charged and convicted for anything and her life in freedom could be living hell if people think that she must be guilty because she never answered the accusations and her life could be a lot better if she had some good PR.

On FB, Terri posted an innocuous "hitting the gym" and that three-word phrase was used to define her cold hearted attitude.

DeDe's lack of attention to Terri is being used against Terri in many different ways but the most often used is that it's obvious DeDe can't defend Terri on those things so chose to say nothing.

I'm not sure how, but Terri's fear of harm befalling her is used against her as proof of her cold-heartedness because her friend didn't choose to say something about Kyron's danger.

Again, I assert, there is nothing Terri can say which will NOT be used against her. Heck, she doesn't even have to say something to use it against her.

debs, I can only relate to the only "crime" case I know very well.

I really do not believe that even Terri Horman has been hammered in the press like the Duke kids...she has not made the cover of Newsweek yet for example. There have been no marches with placards threatening her bodily, have there?

When you are at the bottom, there is little place yet to go but up.

I think that just having the courage to say that she had nothing to do with this...that she attempted no murder for hire...to speak from the heart about Kyron could change a few minds.

Or start the process.

Of course, there will be some who will condemn her no matter what. But does she really want to possibly go into a trial having made no attempt to improve her public standing? I saw a complete 360 turn-around once in public opinion. I would not have believed it in the Spring of 2006.

Her silence... compounded by her decision to remain silent rather than fight for her daughter...in one sense is not "protecting" her.

The question , fairly or not, is being framed perhaps as...does she love Kyron like a Mother...is finding him the most important thing in the world to her...more important than herself? Is finding him something she would move heaven and earth to do...except..ummm.. not talk about this case?

Is her need to care for Baby K as great as one imagines a toddler's need to be with her Mommy is? Is getting that Baby back in her arms more important than anything in the world to her...except ummm talking about this case.

Fairly or not...those questions reverberate in her silence.

You keep bringing up Duke and the Lacrosse players. It should interest you to know I believed they were innocent before they ever gave the pressers because there was nothing which I had seen which could substantiate all the claims having been thrown at them. Just like in this case. Had more evidence ever been approached, or should there be in this case, I reserve the right to change my mind. Nothing has been presented which makes sense for me to change my mind at this point that Terri has the right to presumption of innocence for criminal charges that have yet to be brought against her, and owes no one an explanation to them (not even Kaine) until such a time as she is charged with said criminal claims.

debs, I can only relate to the only "crime" case I know very well.

I really do not believe that even Terri Horman has been hammered in the press like the Duke kids...she has not made the cover of Newsweek yet for example. There have been no marches with placards threatening her bodily, have there?

When you are at the bottom, there is little place yet to go but up.

I think that just having the courage to say that she had nothing to do with this...that she attempted no murder for hire...to speak from the heart about Kyron could change a few minds.

Or start the process.

Of course, there will be some who will condemn her no matter what. But does she really want to possibly go into a trial having made no attempt to improve her public standing? I saw a complete 360 turn-around once in public opinion. I would not have believed it in the Spring of 2006.

Her silence... compounded by her decision to remain silent rather than fight for her daughter...in one sense is not "protecting" her.

The question , fairly or not, is being framed perhaps as...does she love Kyron like a Mother...is finding him the most important thing in the world to her...more important than herself? Is finding him something she would move heaven and earth to do...except..ummm.. not talk about this case?

Is her need to care for Baby K as great as one imagines a toddler's need to be with her Mommy is? Is getting that Baby back in her arms more important than anything in the world to her...except ummm talking about this case.

Fairly or not...those questions reverberate in her silence.

I didn't think Dede's interview showed that Terri was cold hearted (although she didn't make a very good case for her warmheartedness either) but IMO it portrayed Dede as a rather cold fish because there was no concern about Kyron at all in the article, just Terri and her.

But it could have been just the reporter's choice. Perhaps Dede said a lot of things about Kyron and their pain because he was missing and it just didn't suit the reporter's chosen angle.

I thought that People Mag interview was weird, too. Especially in light of Dede having stayed with Terri for 11 days after Kyron went missing. You'd have thought that Dede might have said something about how distressed and distraught Terri was about Kyron's disappearance and her worry for his safety.

Nothing of the sort. So either that wasn't Dede's observations or People mag edited out info to guide public perception of Terri and Dede in a manner that would increase sales. I dunno.

ETA: That's why a prepared statement with atorney's consent and guidance is the only way I'd do a press conference (ala Amber Frey), live or otherwise, guilty or innocent. JMHO.

We don't know that she didn't do just that --- and LE simply doesn't believe her.

Or she never said anything like that. We have not seen her say or do one thing to try and clear herself here so they can look in another direction. As far as I'm concerned, she just shut up one day and hasn't said a word in either direction since. That's not helping the police, especially if she really didn't do this crime. Instead, she's letting this investigation hang in limbo to protect her rights above anything else. And meanwhile, Kyron is still God knows where, most likely dead. I know it's not required for her to do this, but if she was really was innocent, you'd think she'd want the police off of her and looking at someone else. And so far, she doesn't seem to care about anything other than CYAing herself by not talking.

Terri had several LONG interviews with the police and told her story. True or not.

Her attorney does not think that a press conference would help or there would be one, IMO.

He is possibly doing his own investigating, sitting back, and waiting for information the police might have. I think he feels like anything she says might help but also might backfire, so it is not worth the attempt.

The evidence will come out in trial, some evidence will likely come out in the custody hearing with the divorce case. I believe her excellent lawyer has probably learned over the years to never show your cards until it is time; and take the time you have to find out everything that could exonerate your client.

Terri had several LONG interviews with the police and told her story. True or not.

Her attorney does not think that a press conference would help or there would be one, IMO.

He is possibly doing his own investigating, sitting back, and waiting for information the police might have. I think he feels like anything she says might help but also might backfire, so it is not worth the attempt.

The evidence will come out in trial, some evidence will likely come out in the custody hearing with the divorce case. I believe her excellent lawyer has probably learned over the years to never show your cards until it is time; and take the time you have to find out everything that could exonerate your client.

I posted a while back that Houze is known for keeping his mouth shut primarily in situations where his client doesn't have a leg to stand on. I posted an article from his website giving an example of that. It's anecdotal, but, for me, it's another piece of the puzzle that points to th's guilt. jmoo

I doubt very much a press conference would help now, which I believe is the question. If she is innocent, she may well know that she has told LE all she can. If she is guilty, well, she has nothing to gain by talking to anyone about the case or Kyron. I'm not going to say what I would be doing in her spot, as I have no idea. Lots of folks think they would be shouting from rooftops, etc. but really, who knows what one would do, if the public seems to have found you guilty of the most reprehensible crime possible? You might want to hole up and leave it to your lawyer.

Nope. Wouldn't help at all and might hurt.

Just read here. And WS is TAME! No matter what Terri does, there is some way to make it an indicator of guilt.

She hasn't done one thing to help LE??? What about the 5 interviews (just in the first 2 days, and maybe more after that), the 2 polygraphs, the receipt, the witnesses who saw her at FM, the log in at the gym, and the photos from that morning?

If she is telling the truth, has told all that she knows, and is obviously the target of the investigation, then she is NOT hurting it by hiring a lawyer. She is not withholding anything if she's already told them everything she knows. She is not harming the investigation if she's given them all she has. She is not putting herself before Kyron and Baby K if, despite her best efforts to help, LE cannot rule her out.

And just like her silence has been taken by some to mean that she has things to hide and cares more about her freedom than Kyron's return, a press conference, no matter how sincere and convincing, would only assure some that she cares more about her image and public perception than keeping the focus on Kyron.

She can't win at this point. She may deserve it. I have no idea.

Terri shouldn't give a public statement.

Those already convinced of her guilt will use any statement or body language in support of their conclusion, and those not convinced of her guilt will take her proclamation at face value until evidence either supports or contradicts her statement. In other words, it will change nothing, but it will provide fodder for her detractors. Houze is too smart for that, IMHO.

He will defend her, IMHO, but he will defend her when and where it matters.

chain of events through TH's "innocent" eyes (that is of course if she IS)

1. OMG Stepson not on bus, where's Kryon?
2. Call school.
3. Call 911.
4. Drive to school and look for him, where on earth could he be
5. Get word out to everyone we know. (e.g., FB)
6. Meeting with LE telling them everything I know. Last saw in hallway of school. LE says everyone is cooperating.
7. Reading blogs under news article, people are accusing me, because I'm a step mom and I was the last to see him. (This is June 5th)
8. The entire family is being questioned. LE says everyone's cooperating and says the "family" doesn't want to give a talk at this time and thanks everyone who is searching.
9. Everyone is taking LDT now. I take mine and "LE says" I failed! WTF? How could I fail? I told them my day and it was just as it was. (TH at this point is venting to family and friends)
9. Kaine & Tony read a written statement. Desiree and Terri say nothing. (Doesn't mean they don't both have something they'd like to say, as we find out later on, these interviews are highly controlled.) This is June 11.
10. Scheduled to take another LDT. They ask me a question that upsets me so much I refuse to go on, but will reschedule.
11. Reschedule the LDT a couple of days later. Family still not talking to press.
12. Kaine is really pissed at me for some reason. He went somewhere with the baby for awhile.
13. Served a restraining order and divorce papers. I want my baby back, he can't do that, can he?
14. MFHP? AND MY OWN HUSBAND THINKS I DISAPPEARED KYRON? OMG I need a lawyer, now!
15. Lawyer says "don't say a word".

Okay, I know, I know this isn't exactly the way things may have come down, but WHEN was she supposed to be pleading for Kyron's safe return and saying she had nothing to do with it. She already told LE and her family that she had nothing to do with it. I'm sure that came up in her 6 hour interrogation. The time to be pleading was when Kyron first turned up missing and I still think it's just the weirdest thing that NO ONE IN THAT FAMILY, including Terri said anything about bringing Kyron home. And in the first statement where it was just Kaine & Desiree, it seems I recall Kaine saying Terri was just as committed to bringing Kyron home. Anyway, I'm trying to look at it through TH's eyes if she's innocent and that's what I come up with. She plead her innocence to LE, family and friends. And if they had doubts, why on earth would she still need to plead to JQ Public?

Let's presume for this thread that Terri is innocent.

I've read that she has stayed silent and has not defended herself in a public statement on advice from her attorneys. If I am wrong about that, please correct me.

Assuming innocence and nothing at all to hide..in regard to both the "Murder for Hire" or Kyron's disappearance, I think it's a mistake not to confront some of these issues.

I'd like to hear others' opinions.

I'm thinking , of course, of how the public confrontation of the lies being told about them, began the PR turnabout for the Duke Lacrosse team.

When Dave Evans, surrounded by members of the team, faced the media...the MSM was replete with stories of a vicious beating and gang-rape. They were already convicted...the accuser was even referred to as their "victim" in MSM news stories. (the Raliegh N&O) The other teammates were alleged to be involved in a conspiracy of silence. These kids stood there that day, with family and attorneys and proclaimed their innocence. "You have been told some fantastic lies."

Like Terri, they were receiving death threats; like Terri, the media was aligned against them; Nancy Grace railed about them nightly.

And these kids were up against what N.C. would later call a "rogue prosecutor."

But, unlike Terri, they let the public hear them....see them. They were emphatic in their denials. They faced it all and stood tall.

Why doesn't Terri do this? Why doesn't she come out and tell us that she never tried to have her husband killed nor played any part in Kyron's disappearance? Stand her ground. Tell us that these fantastic lies are keeping her from her Baby K. Tell us how she misses Kyron.

I think it would help her...if innocent. She should have something on record, that years from now, Baby K can see and understand "My Mom faced them all down for me."

Is Terri in worse jeopardy than the Lacrosse kids?

I think if innocent, she should make a public statement.

If guilty, well, then...no, obviously not.

But if innocent, why not call her own press conference?

Thanks for the very interesting question. The boys from the Duke Lacrosse team went through he** and back. Eventually they appeared with their families, attorneys, and as a united group, working together for innocence. They had the advantage of numbers, youth, entire future ahead of them, sweet faces, college education and incredibly supportive families...and money!

I agree, their amazing appearances under the auspice of their crim defense attorneys and mom and dad, slowly changed peoples minds. Finally, the truth prevailed.

Terri hasn't appeared because her crim defense attorney has told her 'no', stay quiet and out of the spotlight. She's 40 yo, people attack her looks, weight, education, marriages, and her life as an adult. and her mothering. Her supportive parents already are under attack. What on earth would Houze use to turn hate into sympathy? I can't think of a thing.

The MFH is a 'he said - she said'. Hearsay! The people who have already assigned guilt to her, and decided that she is a psychopath, probably won't change their minds one bit when hearing the 'she said' side of the coin. IMO it's more fuel for peoples' fire.
Bottom line for me is: If Terry goes on national TV and tries to prove her innocence, she will be deemed guilty by those who presently deem her guilty. She will once again be the whirl wind in the spotlight. I think her defense attorney is letting people play their game of failed polygraphs, MFH, drinking, psychopath...and he will make his move when the time is right. all just my opinion and stuff like that. moo

Or she never said anything like that. We have not seen her say or do one thing to try and clear herself here so they can look in another direction. As far as I'm concerned, she just shut up one day and hasn't said a word in either direction since. That's not helping the police, especially if she really didn't do this crime. Instead, she's letting this investigation hang in limbo to protect her rights above anything else. And meanwhile, Kyron is still God knows where, most likely dead. I know it's not required for her to do this, but if she was really was innocent, you'd think she'd want the police off of her and looking at someone else. And so far, she doesn't seem to care about anything other than CYAing herself by not talking.

She was interviewed numerous times, and LE said she was cooperating with them up to the point she hired her attorney (and I am assuming at that point he told her to shut up). Even then, the police didn't come out and flatly state she wasn't cooperating, period. If all those days talking to the police didn't help them then, how is it going to help them now? Innocent or guilty, lying or not, she's told them what she's going to tell them. IMO, "cooperating" to Desiree/Kaine/LE means she confesses. Anything short of that is "not cooperating". At this point, when it's obvious they don't believe her I don't see any other choice she has but to follow her attorney's advice and shut up.

This.

I should have read the next post lol

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500