If Terri is indicted for murder...

So if LE says there's no reason to believe he's dead, how can a prosecutor get a GJ to indict? LE has basically torpedoed any "murder without a body case."

The two are unrelated. LE can say anything it likes, and can lie if it wants to, in the course of an investigation.

If LE has evidence that they think will prove to a jury beyond a reasonable doubt that Kyron is dead, then along with sufficient evidence to prove that whoever they want to indict committed the murder, the DA can get the GJ to indict that person.

I doubt Oregon will try anyone for the murder of Kyron based on flimsy evidence. I just don't see the district attorney doing that -- and he is the one in whose court the ball falls regarding whether to seek an indictment against anyone associated with this case.

I don't think LE will indict her for murder because I don't think Terri murdered him. That's why they have no evidence she did. I think she was involved in his kidnapping and she possibly does not even know what happened to him.

I think the indictment the prosecutor is looking for is kidnapping. And I do think there is a good chance he is alive.

I really wish I could sit in on this grand jury. It would be interesting to know what charges they're considering and what every witness has had to say so far.
If they're considering murder charges, then what evidence do they have that Kyron is dead and was murdered? Has to be more than an assumption. I don't think any GJ would indict without some proof of his death.

Kyron Horman Case: Parents Tell Stepmom 'You Will Go to Jail'
Kaine Horman, Desiree Young Say Terri Horman Should Tell Police What She Knows

21 comments By DEAN SCHABNER
Aug. 28, 2010

The parents of Kyron Horman, the 7-year-old Oregon boy who has been missing for nearly three months, had a direct and harsh message for Terri Horman, the boy's stepmother.

The missing boy's parents speak directly to his stepmother."You will go to jail, and whoever has been helping you, if they don't talk, they will go to jail," Desiree Young, Kyron's birth mother, said today in an interview with Andrea Canning on "Good Morning America."

"I really believe that you want to do the right thing here and bring Kyron home," she said.

Terri Horman, the last known person to see Kyron when he left her to go to class at his elementary school following an early morning science fair, has come under increasing suspicion.

more at the link:
Video to right of article
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/kyron-horman-case-parents-stepmom-police/story?id=11504140

I wonder why Desiree said, "jail" and not "prison"? She is married to someone in LE~she would know the difference...

I wonder why Desiree said, "jail" and not "prison"? She is married to someone in LE~she would know the difference...

I really think we read too much into every single word that was said. (not just you, Gardeness, and not just this word or phrase.) These people are under enormous pressure and stress; I'm amazed they can put a coherent sentence together, let alone make sure every single word means exactly what they want to say.

Now I do think some words they use are purposeful and significant, just not necessarily this one.

But I could be entirely mistaken!!

I really think we read too much into every single word that was said. (not just you, Gardeness, and not just this word or phrase.) These people are under enormous pressure and stress; I'm amazed they can put a coherent sentence together, let alone make sure every single word means exactly what they want to say.

Now I do think some words they use are purposeful and significant, just not necessarily this one.

But I could be entirely mistaken!!

I TOTALLY agree-far too much is read into every word uttered in this case, in my opinion.

With all due respect, it is in those moments of stress that any good sleuther would look for what's said and most importantly, what words are used to say it. A wealth of information can be gleaned. That goes for victim statements as well as perp statements.

I don't think Desiree spends a lot of time with legal lingo, or criminal lingo. Jail to her may mean the same thing as prison. However, you point out something worth a thought, she should know the difference since her husband is LE. Hmmm... It is worth the pondering. Guess DY, TY, and KH know there is really nothing but conjecture at this point? Sad for them, they want a neat and tidy easy answer, and I cannot blame them, I would have been put in jail looking for my child on my own by now and could not accept stranger or familial abuse/death of my child. I would be in the straight jacket. But, it seems they may know it is the wrong tree since now Kyron is found?

The LE have to worry about 'double jeopardy', so murder charge is very hard without proof. Like in Haleigh's case.
BUT: obstruction of justice, kidnapping etc..........if charged and she can produce KYRON,
my bet is she would to save her own skin in a plea deal.
THEN AGAIN she will have to give names of her helpers!
She is getting backed into a corner so to speak and I hope she sings asap!

The LE have to worry about 'double jeopardy', so murder charge is very hard without proof. Like in Haleigh's case.
BUT: obstruction of justice, kidnapping etc..........if charged and she can produce KYRON,
my bet is she would to save her own skin in a plea deal.
THEN AGAIN she will have to give names of her helpers!
She is getting backed into a corner so to speak and I hope she sings asap!

I only see corners that people want her to be in, and seems she's still standing in the middle of the room.

I don't think Desiree spends a lot of time with legal lingo, or criminal lingo. Jail to her may mean the same thing as prison. However, you point out something worth a thought, she should know the difference since her husband is LE. Hmmm... It is worth the pondering. Guess DY, TY, and KH know there is really nothing but conjecture at this point? Sad for them, they want a neat and tidy easy answer, and I cannot blame them, I would have been put in jail looking for my child on my own by now and could not accept stranger or familial abuse/death of my child. I would be in the straight jacket. But, it seems they may know it is the wrong tree since now Kyron is found?

Hate to quote myself, but I cannot edit.

The last line is meant to say "Since now Kyron is Not[B] found.[/B]

This is too frustrating to fix my poor typing and language. Oh well.

Note: I did not say nor infer that DA/LE in this case or inept or unethical. I merely replied to another post and said that the Duke case is a good reminder. And it is. Given that TH's attorney has already talked about a "witch hunt"--and so have others here--the Duke case is a good example of why due process is important, as is avoiding public outcry based on unproven allegations.

I agree that not everyone would agree with the "ham sandwich" viewpoint. However, in a GJ, there is no room for the defense or rebuttal. It simply is the prosecution bring on what they have and trying to convince a GJ to issue an indictment. That's often the route chosen when the DA/LE believe they don't have enough direct evidence to simply go ahead and arrest someone and charge them.

So the GJ only hears what one side wants it to hear, basically. It's not at all like a trial. And in an emotional case, it's not unlikely that they will heed the "authority" figures and indict someone.

JMO, of course.

Re: BBM...

But this GJ has been identified as an "investigative grand jury". They don't necessarily have the sole mission of handing down an indictment.

I guess I am relating this to my brother, who is in LE...any time we visit him, we hear hair-raising stories that my SIL has usually already heard. She seems to know quite a bit about laws, terminology, etc., IMO, because he comes home and talks about it...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustFab
Back