If you can stand foul language and violence you need to get "Django Unchained"

I have never been a fan of westerns, but do like Tarantino.
I didn't know what to expect, but from the beginning I was hooked. An awesome film with great performances all round, though for me Christopher Walz stole the show.

I had no clue that was Samuel L Jackson when watching it.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I bought it a couple of weeks ago and I've watched it about ten times since then. That is the best opening scene from any movie I've ever seen. The second scene is very, very, very good too.

It looks like a western from all of the promotional material and it does have a western feel, but I think western is the wrong word. It's a love story about a guy who almost becomes a superhero by the end of the movie.

It's basically the story that Dr. Schulz tells Django during the movie. (BTW, I kept thinking of the Bugs Bunny cartoon "What's Opera Doc" when he told the story. IIRC, that cartoon is based on the opera of that story.)

It's also very educational. I learned a lot about the slave trade and the conditions slaves had to deal with than I knew before. I think most Americans look at slavery and think they were forced to work sunup to sundown, took a whipping now and again and suffered in servitude for their whole lives. This movie shows how real slavery makes that view look like a fantasy land for what real slavery was all about. I don't want to talk about anything more about that due to making spoilers for those who haven't seen it yet.

One woman who reviewed it on Youtube said she wishes there had been a great hero like Django during the days of slavery. You have to remember that this takes place before the civil war so the slavers believe that this is how it is and always will be.

The one scene, I'm sure you know which one, could have come straight from a Mel Brooks movie.

I knew it was Sam Jackson. I didn't recognize Don Johnson even though he's in the opening credits.

You're right about Christoph Walz stealing the show. I didn't see any of the movies that he was up against for supporting actor, but I'd have to think that his winning the award was more than deserved. It's the role he was born to play. I also have to say that his character is one of the best characters I've ever seen. He's so intriguing. I also like the humanism that Django displays at times and the matter of fact way Dr. Schulz does his job.

A great movie from beginning to end. There aren't any slow scenes in the movie. Oh and one more thing. Leonardo DiCaprio is one of the evilest characters ever written and DiCaprio pulls it off brilliantly.

One of the best lines; "I'm just a little more used to Americans than he is."

WOW, what an incredible film! The scene where the two men ride their horses to the tune of Jim Croce's "I Got a Name" is worth the price alone... From the way they nod at each other going out of the stables to the epic grandeur of seeing them riding against the majestic backdrop of the Rockies... the horses gracefully picking their hooves up out of the snow; Jesus Christ, the beauty of this scene alone literally took my breath away! And the "little troublemaker" line? Priceless.

WOW, what an incredible film! The scene where the two men ride their horses to the tune of Jim Croce's "I Got a Name" is worth the price alone... From the way they nod at each other going out of the stables to the epic grandeur of seeing them riding against the majestic backdrop of the Rockies... the horses gracefully picking their hooves up out of the snow; Jesus Christ, the beauty of this scene alone literally took my breath away! And the "little troublemaker" line? Priceless.

BBM

After the first two scenes that's my favorite. It's the perfect song for that movie and that point of the movie too. Tarantino always seems to pick the best music for a film. JMO

Do ya think Paula Deen has seen this movie? Sam Jackson's character would be PERFECT for her smiling darky waiter. Oops, I forgot, if they have actual jobs, they're African American. Really, she's such a cheap shot its like shooting them thaaangs in a barrel.

Do ya think Paula Deen has seen this movie? Sam Jackson's character would be PERFECT for her smiling darky waiter. Oops, I forgot, if they have actual jobs, they're African American. Really, she's such a cheap shot its like shooting them thaaangs in a barrel.

You can't have a plantation themed wedding unless there's at least one Uncle Tom.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelonyAnn
Back