If you were in charge of Kyron's investigation...

If you were suddenly appointed to head up the investigation, what actions would you take? And why? What would you base those actions on?

(FYI, I've previously discussed this thread topic with Tricia and gotten an OK.)

With respect, I'd like to ask that we avoid answers like "I'd arrest TH/DS right now!" However, if you think that they are guilty, tell us what actions you would take, and what you'd base those actions on, to move things along so that an arrest is feasible.

Ditto for anyone else.

So, they're at a standstill. You've just taken over the investigation, knowing what you know right now.

What actions would you take? And why? What would you base those actions on?

I would continue to keep information to the vest, and try to find Kyron. Who cares what Terri is doing or not doing right now, she's effectively isolated and can't hurt her other children - she's not near Kaine, when she does go out, she's watched like a hawk. So she's been isolated - and let's face it, she is the suspect right now.

I would make sure that every i is dotted and every t crossed, so that when we decided to go forward, it would be an airtight case.

I would continue to keep information to the vest, and try to find Kyron. Who cares what Terri is doing or not doing right now, she's effectively isolated and can't hurt her other children - she's not near Kaine, when she does go out, she's watched like a hawk. So she's been isolated - and let's face it, she is the suspect right now.

I would make sure that every i is dotted and every t crossed, so that when we decided to go forward, it would be an airtight case.

I doubt there will ever be anything close to an airtight case here...even if Kyron is found. It's bound to be mostly or totally circumstantial, without a confession, and those kinds of cases are never airtight. If he is not found-well, even less chance.

In my opinion.

Well,very good question.If they are not getting anywhere just looking at Terri.Look somewhere else also.The dots really are not connecting.I would go back to the very very first leads and go over them again.I would look into Kaine and terri together.I would look into the LS(not with Terri.Just his part).But I feel mostly they need to look into the GK and this guy.

http://beavertonpolice.org/publications/press2010/Updategpsa.pdf

Do something different.

If I may please say another thing.Was it really a lead (an early lead?) saying someone saw Kyron with 2 girls? with someone that was a male chaperone?There was no male chaperone?Where were they seen?What did the guy look like?A older guy?a younger guy?

I wouldn't do anything different....I think they are looking in the right direction and it isn't Kaine. Or Desiree. Sorry.

I would be wishing they had not stumbled across the landscaper and his story, so as to force LE to tell Kaine and thus force Terri to get an attorney. She had not shown signs of getting one before then. Now, for the past 2.5 months, they can't even talk to her. (I'm one who does not think Kaine was in any real danger from that.)

I doubt there will ever be anything close to an airtight case here...even if Kyron is found. It's bound to be mostly or totally circumstantial, without a confession, and those kinds of cases are never airtight. If he is not found-well, even less chance.

In my opinion.

We can certainly agree to disagree ;)

We can certainly agree to disagree ;)

No problem there, but what do you think constitutes an airtight case? To me, it is usually forensic evidence (dna, fingerprints, etc.) motive/opportunity, and eye witnesses to support the rest of the case.

I just don't see how a case can be airtight without physical evidence or a confession; not to say it can't be prosecuted and won, but it is risky. Juries really seem to like to have something they can "see" to add to circumstances.

You would have to think Multnomah Co. Sheriff's Office to be extraordinarily inept to even begin to respond to this question--you would have to assume that you, a civilian with no LE training, know more about criminal investigations than seasoned LE veterans who are running this investigation.

I have no criticism for MCSO, because I don't know how thoroughly they have investigated this case. I'm not prepared to assume the worst about them. I'm sad that some people do.

MOO.
ITA!!! And I do not begin to think they, or the DA is inept. We will know more when we are able to know more. MOO

Respectfully, I have to disagree. Remember, you're being asked to take a leadership position here. Leaders walk in the door with plans.

Remember those files I've asked Jason for? Once I pry Bean's sticky fingers off him long enough to get them, then I review what's there. And ask about things.

And then decide, based on things like length of time since interview, or new information, which of those things I want to re-visit. Then I decide if the same person (s) revist it or if I put new eyes on it.

If they've done xyz, fine. But if I'm in charge now, with an investigation that so far hasn't borne fruit, I'm going to look at everything that's been done--and everything that's not been done. I'm not going to ask people to "think outside the box"--I'm going to tell them to throw away any boxes they already have put together.
I further disagree. Leaders also know all the "com" (data). We do not. How can we for one second place ourselves in the shoes of investigators who have the true case information???? And as for an investigation bearing fruit.... what if they have a tree with blossoms? Just saying that some times things take time. MOO

BBM

Then how do so many people know Terri is guilty?

:waitasec:
people form their own opinions. A lot of the information came from the 'other' possible questionable behavior of TMH.

How can that extrapolate to knowing what all LE knows about Kyron being missing. To be critical of LE at this point than you must also be critical of the fbi, numerous counties, CART teams, and more. They are ALL part of Kyron's investigation. Furthermore, LE has NEVER named a suspect or person of interest.

Another thing to look at please.They recently checked the school again?a scent of something?Kyron?death?What was that about and where was it at the school?Ok,I am done.For now.

We're answering a hypothetical question - creating a scenario that we would prefer if in charge. This should be in the spirit of WS...I honestly don't understand why anyone has to defend LE. Honestly, just because there is a title next to the name doesn't mean they work without error. IMO to idealize any group of individuals, no matter what the title, is inviting disappointment and trouble. moo mho

I would put in another DA, one with criminal experience outside family court. Others would re-interview in various modalities. Some would put new eyes and faces to the task. Suggesting an expansion of horizons - isn't that what cold cases are all about?

This case may or may not be solved. Terri may or may not be the predator. It might be solved 10 years from now with a new group of detectives, called cold case detectives. Or it may be solved next week with the present group of detectives.

What's the problem with speculation - If you doubt professionals make mistakes, come on visit Chicago or look up the Riley Fox case or Jerry Hobbs case. Have a great night everyone. moo mho

Another thing to look at please.They recently checked the school again?a scent of something?Kyron?death?What was that about and where was it at the school?Ok,I am done.For now.
Checking the school buildings again is certainly one thing I would insist upon.

I ran across two articles today that caught my eye.

One article is about a recent find at another Portland Public School. Apparently, the principal at Ockley Green School asked the school custodian to help turn a little-used trailer behind the school into a classroom.

While cleaning out the trailer, the custodian found 17 dead pets in garbage bags, frozen solid in an upright freezer. There were six cats, two hamsters, two goldfish, two frogs, a guinea pig, a hedgehog, a parakeet, a lizard and a spider.

"A longtime volunteer said the animals were pets that had died of natural causes but it was too painful to part with them.

The volunteer was relieved from further duties. Police said she wasn’t cited because the animals had not been abused."

Pets in Freezer

The second article is about a case that has been ongoing in the East Bay area for the last couple of weeks. Every morning for this past week the morning news has shown police at an East Bay landfill looking for some guy's body. The case didn't particularly interest me, so I didn't follow the details, until today when I saw this article:

Hercules chief 'disappointed by errors that delayed discovery of body

"Police investigating the bloody trail of a multiple-killing spree that began two weeks ago should have found a body hidden in a Hercules house much sooner, the city's police chief said Friday.

Instead they found it Thursday afternoon during a cursory walk-through with FBI crime lab agents -- nearly two weeks after California Highway Patrol officers shot and killed the suspect, 38-year-old Efren Valdemoro, at the end of a chase.

"Clearly we failed to locate the body, and bring that loose end to a close," police Chief Fred Deltorchio said. "Obviously we did not conduct a good search the first time around.

"I'm very disappointed in the department's response, how we handled it," he added. "Unfortunately, we prolonged the wait for the family, if the body does prove to be Frederick Sales.""

more at link

So, that's one of the things I would do.

Ms.suzanne..this is interesting to say the least...is there a link to this info?

Checking the school buildings again is certainly one thing I would insist upon.

I ran across two articles today that caught my eye.

One article is about a recent find at another Portland Public School. Apparently, the principal at Ockley Green School asked the school custodian to help turn a little-used trailer behind the school into a classroom.

While cleaning out the trailer, the custodian found 17 dead pets in garbage bags, frozen solid in an upright freezer. There were six cats, two hamsters, two goldfish, two frogs, a guinea pig, a hedgehog, a parakeet, a lizard and a spider.

"A longtime volunteer said the animals were pets that had died of natural causes but it was too painful to part with them.

The volunteer was relieved from further duties. Police said she wasn’t cited because the animals had not been abused."

Pets in Freezer

The second article is about a case that has been ongoing in the East Bay area for the last couple of weeks. Every morning for this past week the morning news has shown police at an East Bay landfill looking for some guy's body. The case didn't particularly interest me, so I didn't follow the details, until today when I saw this article:

Hercules chief 'disappointed by errors that delayed discovery of body

"Police investigating the bloody trail of a multiple-killing spree that began two weeks ago should have found a body hidden in a Hercules house much sooner, the city's police chief said Friday.

Instead they found it Thursday afternoon during a cursory walk-through with FBI crime lab agents -- nearly two weeks after California Highway Patrol officers shot and killed the suspect, 38-year-old Efren Valdemoro, at the end of a chase.

"Clearly we failed to locate the body, and bring that loose end to a close," police Chief Fred Deltorchio said. "Obviously we did not conduct a good search the first time around.

"I'm very disappointed in the department's response, how we handled it," he added. "Unfortunately, we prolonged the wait for the family, if the body does prove to be Frederick Sales.""

more at link

So, that's one of the things I would do.

Wow. This certainly ...gives us something to think about, eh?

We're answering a hypothetical question - creating a scenario that we would prefer if in charge. This should be in the spirit of WS...I honestly don't understand why anyone has to defend LE. Honestly, just because there is a title next to the name doesn't mean they work without error. IMO to idealize any group of individuals, no matter what the title, is inviting disappointment and trouble. moo mho

I would put in another DA, one with criminal experience outside family court. Others would re-interview in various modalities. Some would put new eyes and faces to the task. Suggesting an expansion of horizons - isn't that what cold cases are all about?

This case may or may not be solved. Terri may or may not be the predator. It might be solved 10 years from now with a new group of detectives, called cold case detectives. Or it may be solved next week with the present group of detectives.

What's the problem with speculation - If you doubt professionals make mistakes, come on visit Chicago or look up the Riley Fox case or Jerry Hobbs case. Have a great night everyone. moo mho

Worth repeating. Yes, expanding horizons is a good thing, a very good thing, IMHO. And I sure hope that Kyron's case doesn't go cold. Frankly, I'd like to see them bring in someone new, fresh, to head this up--and not reporting to the current sheriff. Don't quite know how they'd do that, but I think that fresh eyes and questioning every single thing done and not done is a good idea. As the saying goes "this isn't personal, it's business"--and this business is the months-long disappearance of a little boy named Kyron, from his own small schoo in a quiet community.

people form their own opinions. A lot of the information came from the 'other' possible questionable behavior of TMH.

How can that extrapolate to knowing what all LE knows about Kyron being missing. To be critical of LE at this point than you must also be critical of the fbi, numerous counties, CART teams, and more. They are ALL part of Kyron's investigation. Furthermore, LE has NEVER named a suspect or person of interest.

Repeating, this thread isn't about "being critical" of LE. It's simply spitballing and thinking in different directions. BTW, I've worked in settings in which we routinely were expected to have team meetings and go over what we missed, and what we did that we could have done better. Only improved us.

Professionals understand that sometimes, ya gotta put the Scrabble tiles back in the box, shake 'em up, and throw 'em all out again.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back