IL - Alexus Smothers, 8, drowned, body hidden in crawlspace, 19 July 2011

Video interview of the aunt. Very long, raw interview.

She says Alexus brightened everybody's day with her smile, was very cute, very smart, and she wanted to be a doctor.

Towards the end she says LE told them Alexus was beaten, black and blue all over, her neck was broken, the back of her head was severely bludgeoned.

At the very end, a child crying off-camera says that Alexus' sibling saw it all happen.

http://www.kmov.com/video?id=125896568&sec=549692

Rest in Peace Alexus.

Police: Mom admits hiding girl's body, gives conflicting versions of death

Read more: http://www.pantagraph.com/news/stat...38f-11e0-aab5-001cc4c03286.html#ixzz1SoIgYzJx

Zumwalt-Jophlin told police she placed the child in the crawl space, the officer testified, and gave conflicting versions of how the child "passed."

One version attributed the child's death to "somewhat accidental" circumstances, while other versions were "not accidental," the officer testified.

An autopsy on the child was performed Wednesday in Bloomington by a forensic pathologist specializing in child cases. Results of the autopsy, as well as the cause of the child's death, have not yet been revealed.

Rest in Peace Alexus.Every day another child dead WTH is wrong with these people!

She says Alexus brightened everybody's day with her smile, was very cute, very smart, and she wanted to be a doctor.

Towards the end she says LE told them Alexus was beaten, black and blue all over, her neck was broken, the back of her head was severely bludgeoned.

At the very end, a child crying off-camera says that Alexus' sibling saw it all happen.

Her neck was broken and the back of her head was basically bashed in.....the mother apparently hated her child. I'd love to spend 5 minutes with the mother alone. If she didn't want her kids then why did she fight to have them back after they were taken away the first time? I hope this woman has a horrible time in prison. Some inmates don't take too kindly of a child murderer.

RIP Baby Girl Alexus

the world we inhabit is also occupied by monsters. Monsters who appear just as you or I or the cashier at the grocery, the maintenance man at the office.

So sad they aren't more visible and obvious. I wish people's outside appearance matched the evil they possess on the inside. It would make it so much easier to stop this carp from happening.

A person who could do this to their child must have some pretty dark, disgusting insides. If only it were more apparent to those who saw her every day.

Alexus' funeral was scheduled for Saturday.

http://www.kfvs12.com/story/15134665/alexus-smothers-to-be-laid-to-rest-saturday

Mary Zumwalt-Jophlin, 28, is charged with concealment of a homicidal death and obstructing justice in connection with the death of her daughter, Alexus Nicole Smothers.

An autopsy was performed Wednesday in Bloomington but final results are not expected back for several weeks.

More charges could be filed once those results are in, Franklin County State's Attorney Evan Owens said.

No other arrests are anticipated in connection with the child's death, authorities said previously.

"This investigation is continuing. We anticipate it concluding in the next three to four weeks. We hope to have further charges in this matter," Owens said in a brief statement to media after the hearing.

"We will stay with Alexus as this matter goes through the court system."

http://www.pantagraph.com/news/stat...44b-11e0-9157-001cc4c03286.html#ixzz1T0yOFbfk

I have a 7.5 year old, that is the absolute love and joy of my life. She also tries my patience at times that I just have to take a breath and hug her tight. I cannot fathom beating her - even when I'm holding her arm, or stopping her in her tracks for something I'm always aware of how much bigger and stronger I am. I mean it's ALWAYS in my mind to be careful. The other family members had to know this was going on - how do you not practically move in with them to make sure it isn't happening?

I do not believe the mother was a monster - I've been driven to the end of my tether by a misbehaving child. No, I did not kill the child, but don't think it didn't cross my mind because it did. I tend to think I might be a bit more forthcoming, honest may be the operative word, but I don't hide negative feeling from myself. Almost everyone I know has had them at one time or another, even the best of parents. I believe many parents hide their negatives from themselves and present a perfect front to the world which does no one any good because it isn't honest.

I've had my daughters (3 kids each) ask me how I managed to survive with 6, or maybe how all of the 6 managed to survive. I simply tell them with a limp and a stupid grin that "I wasn't always like this," you kids drove me crazy - which they did. I had one of my daughters knock on my door about 8 in the morning, and I worked nights. When I opened the door she pushed her 3 kids into my apartment and said, "you take care of them," which I did, having no choice. Maybe at that point in her life she made the right choice.

Children and parents today live in a different world than 30 or 40 years ago. Back then parents were allowed to discipline their children, were encouraged to do so in order for them to become socialized, able to live in a world with other people. Today? If you spank your child, there is a chance you'll go to jail. This frustration builds up. Another of my daughters (I have 4) has to deal with a stepdaughter who lives in the home - her mother is a druggie. The stepdaughter is messed up, but you cannot get physical, only the kid can, and she does. My daughter had to lock herself in the bathroom to escape from the girl. Sure, she has all kinds of therapists, counselors, whatever, but it does no good. In my day I would have beat the hell out of the kid (no, I wouldn't have killed her, hopefully), but when I got done that girl would think 15 times before she gave me any more crap. In fact, I've had the girl overnight in my home (I love her like a biological grandchild), and she didn't give me any trouble at all. She knew better, she knew I would knock her flat with no compunction. The thing is, kids today know they legally rule the roost, and their isn't anything their parents can do about it. Sad.

Now, on the other hand, if there were drugs involved in this, that is a different story. Seems the "war on drugs" that we are all paying for isn't working, and never has. It seems that drug abuse among all levels and ages of society gets worse every day. When is the gov't and the people going to wake up and do things differently? Probably never, too many people, all kinds of people, getting rich.

If the mother had mental illness, why was there no help for this? When her kids were taken the first time, why? Where was her family? Surely that sweet aunt would have helped? Surely she knew something wasn't quite right?

Until we get to the bottom, or bottoms, of why mom's kill their kids, and help to prevent it, we will keep reading these ugly stories, and going ooh and aah, but not doing anything to prevent it. We have MADD, Mothers Against Drunk Driving, how about Mothers Against Drugs?

One more thing I've noticed is sometimes people with no children, or just one, will be quick to judge. No kids, or one kids, is a whole lot different than having 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or more. The more kids, the worse the stress.

End of rant. My opinions only

Trident there is a huge difference between even harsh discipline and using your kid as a punching bag, and beating an EIGHT year old to death.

(I have a sarcastic retort about only children being a breeze, but I'll refrain for now.)

I don't think there is that much of a difference.If you think a child deserves harsh discipline,even a spanking couldn't that lead to ,depending on the stress level of the situation to exactly the unimaginable thing that happened here?
I don't understand why it should be acceptable to use any type of physical punishment when raising a child.

I completely disagree.I can't even begin to imagine what it should accomplish.
Teaching your child that it is ok to use violence to get someone else to do or to stop doing something?What else could a spanking possibly teach a child?

I think in this instance we can all agree there is no justification for beating a child and breaking her neck, and callously hiding the body as if it were trash.

I think in this instance we can all agree there is no justification for beating a child and breaking her neck, and callously hiding the body as if it were trash.

Yes, on that we can agree. I just wonder if she set out to break the kid's neck on purpose, or she may have fallen down the stairs, or the mother just plain "lost it".

I think we can all agree it is horrible to kill your child, no matter what the reason, but sometimes I sorta can understand how it might happen. Hiding the body, however, is not a good thing, but then again, fear. People do strange things when they are afraid. Or so I believe.

Monstrous acts of a monstrous person. This was not an anger fueled spanking that got out of control. This was a woman who had a history with child services for neglect and had not regained custody of her son based on that prior case. This does not give the appearance of a one time incident gone awry.

IMO this seems to be a case where a monstrous person who should not have had children, did not want to parent children, continued to have custody of her little girl til it was too late for Alexus.

I will stand by my monster analogy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back