Identified! IL - DuPage Co., Boy, 3-5, found in laundry bag, Oct'05 - Atzel Olmedo

mysteriew said:
Jack Daniel Phillips at NCMEC?

Well, after reading some posts on different threads I realize that websleuthers are on it already...I'm slow these days. Had to get a job and it's been hard to keep up...thx mysteriew!

richandfamous said:
Well, after reading some posts on different threads I realize that websleuthers are on it already...I'm slow these days. Had to get a job and it's been hard to keep up...thx mysteriew!

I am just making a guess. I'm not any good at this. Take a look and see what you think.

policesketch.jpg

http://www.dailyherald.com/story.asp?id=112420

Still no name, but now a face
By Christy Gutowski
Daily Herald Legal Affairs Writer
Posted Saturday, October 29, 2005

The little boy’s name, short life and tragic death remain a mystery to the authorities who’ve endured sleepless nights trying to identify him.

But with the help of forensic sketch artists, authorities now have an image of the toddler.

DuPage County Sheriff John Zaruba released the sketch to the public Friday with the hope someone who recognizes him will come forward.
A Bolingbrook man walking his dog discovered the child’s body about 3 p.m. Oct. 8 near Route 59 and I- 88 in a wooded area in Naperville Township. The boy had been placed in a blue canvas laundry bag.

So far, all that authorities do know is that the child most likely was 3 to 4 years old, weighed 25 to 30 pounds and was about 38.5 inches tall. The anthropologist who studied the boy’s bones ruled out African-American as his race.

Police suspect foul play, but they haven’t dismissed the possibility the child died of natural or accidental causes. They also aren’t certain if he is a local boy or if his remains were simply dumped in DuPage County.

“For now, we are his family, and this family is searching for answers,” Zaruba said. “This drawing will remain on my wall until we have these answers, but the memory of the night we found him will never leave our hearts.”

Anyone with information is urged to call the sheriff’s tip line at (630) 669-7109.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/city/4_1_JO29_REMAINS_S1.htm

The boy's body was found Oct. 8 on unincorporated land west of Chicago between the communities of Naperville and Warrenville. The body weighed 25 to 30 pounds and was found in a blue laundry bag

Authorities said they have been working with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children in an effort to match the boy's description with reports of missing kids.

Police said an expert believes the boy is of East Asian or American Indian descent.

He was a little boy with a slight, toothy smile; large, almost pointed ears; and a halo of dark, wiry hair. His features may be East Asian or American Indian, possibly with some Hispanic heritage.

His decomposed body was found in a blue laundry bag on the side of a road in unincorporated DuPage County three weeks ago. Investigators Friday released a forensic artist's sketch of the 3- to 4-year-old boy in hopes it would help identify him.

"This sketch tells us a whole lot more," said Sheriff John Zaruba. "It tells us that this innocent child who once smiled and laughed has a face. And if he has a face, he must have a name, a family and maybe a neighbor or a friend.

"For now, we are his family, and this family is searching for answers."
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0510290176oct29,1,343511.story?coll=chi-newslocal-hed

In the sketch it looks like he has almost perfect teeth, a very big smile.

Could his parent have been illegial aliens, so it might never have been reported?

Police Hope New Sketch Leads To Boy's Identification

UPDATED: November 21, 2005

CHICAGO -- The DuPage County sheriff's office has followed up more than 100 tips in its investigation into the October discovery of the body of young boy found near Naperville, and on Monday it released a modified sketch of the unidentified victim.

The drawing was modified to show the 3- to 5-year-old boy with shorter, straighter hair to give his face a slightly different perspective, a sheriff's office news release said.

Detectives working the case have followed up on more than 100 tips since the initial sketch of the victim was released, but none of the leads led to the identity of the boy, DuPage County Sheriff John E. Zaruba said in the release.

The body was found Oct. 8 in a blue canvas laundry bag near Ferry Road and Meadow Drive in an unincorporated area of DuPage County near Naperville, the release said.

"We are again appealing to the public for help in identifying this poor child who was discarded by the side of a road as if he were a piece of garbage," Zaruba said

Sheriff's police deputies found the remains at about 4 p.m. Oct. 8 after a person came upon the body and called police, DuPage County sheriff's police spokeswoman Carol Roegner said at the time.

The cause of the child's death was still undetermined Monday, said a deputy coroner with the DuPage County Coroner's office who declined to be identified.

Investigators have already determined that the child was about 38 inches tall and weighed between 25 and 30 pounds, the news release said. An anthropologist consulted by detectives working on the case believes the ethnic origin of the boy is East Indian/American Indian derived from Hispanic or Tribal Indian heritage, the release said.

The boy was wearing a navy blue, collarless shirt with three buttons, and the size is 2T for toddlers. He also wore navy blue pants with a nylon cotton blend shell with a white liner. The brand of the clothing is Faded Glory, which is sold exclusively by Wal-Mart, the release said.

Investigators continue to work closely with the FBI and The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. "America's Most Wanted" has the child's picture and information posted on its website and thousands of posters have been distributed nationwide, the release said.

Detectives are also awaiting the results of several, more sophisticated forensic examinations, and those results are expected before the first of the year, the release said.

Anyone who recognizes the child should call the sheriff's office tip line at (800) 669-7109, the release said.

http://www.nbc5.com/news/5376875/detail.html#

A modified artist's rendering of an unidentified boy found dead last month along a road in Naperville Township was released Monday by the DuPage County Sheriff's Department.

The major difference between the new sketch and the one released Oct. 28 to Chicago area newspapers and TV stations is the new rendering shows the boy with shorter, straighter hair, to give his face "a slightly different perspective," according to a written statement from Sheriff John E. Zaruba.

The boy's picture and case information have been posted on the Internet Web site of the television program "America's Most Wanted." Thousands of posters and fliers bearing the boy's likeness also have been distributed across the country, Zaruba said.

Forensic laboratory test results on the boy's body that could help advance the case also are due before the end of the year, Zaruba said.

The boy is believed to have been between the ages of 3 and 5 at the time of his death. An anthropologist has concluded he was of East Asian, American Indian, tribal Indian or Hispanic ancestry, or possibly some combination of those races.

The cause of the boy's death has not been determined. The DuPage County state's attorney's office is treating the death as a homicide, although Zaruba said last month the boy also might have died naturally or in an accident.
http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-sketch22.html

Authorities have found three Wal-Mart stores nationwide--including one in northern Illinois--where someone bought both a shirt and pants like the ones on the body of a little boy discovered in DuPage County two months ago.

The retail chain helped officials cull computer records of their transactions until they found where both items had been purchased together, said Detective Division Cmdr. Mark Edwalds of the DuPage County sheriff's office.

He would not disclose the other two locations, but said detectives are working with store officials at all three to see if they can track who bought the items.

If the articles were bought with cash, or if surveillance systems in the stores were not working at the time, it might be difficult for detectives to figure out who bought them, he said. And because the clothing is not sold as a set, someone could have bought the items in two different transactions, even though the boy was wearing them together.

"But we needed a starting point, and this is one," Edwalds said.

The sheriff's office also released a new composite of how the boy might have looked. It was done by experts at the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, which has been working with the county since the body was found. Authorities also are offering a reward--$5,000--for information leading to the boy's identity.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0512080241dec08,1,6250916.story?coll=chi-newslocal-hed

New composite
http://www.dupageco.org/sheriff/

Pook said:
Any idea who it could be?

Any young boy missing from the Chicago area?
this should be a very good example as to why a dna data base should be started in this country, if this was in place then dna could be compared to dna offered by his parents that would have been stored in the data base. this country needs it and the funding is already available.

dannyodie said:
this should be a very good example as to why a dna data base should be started in this country, if this was in place then dna could be compared to dna offered by his parents that would have been stored in the data base. this country needs it and the funding is already available.

It would only be as good as the information provided... If it is provided at all... Unfortunately, this little boy's parents are probably NOT looking for him, thus not providing material for DNA typing...

My mother-in-law teaches pre-school in southern Chicago. I asked her if she'd heard any updates lately and she said no. However, she recently received in the mail a picture of the child asking her and other teachers at her school if she could identify him. She told me all pre-schools and daycares in the state are receiving the same picture. This case breaks my heart. I'm so relieved to know that police are still trying to figure out who this little guy is. I sure hope this effort pays off because I don't see this case getting solved any other way. There just isn't any evidence.

We haven't forgotten about you little guy. You're on the minds and in the prayers of many many people.

Thank you for posting that info Dulcinea. Somebody, somewhere knew this litle boy. I am glad they are trying the route of sending the info to the daycare's.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallon
Back