IL IL - Fay Rawley, Summum, Fulton County farmer and land owner, 8 Nov 1953

The couple mistakenly drove off into the river at Peoria. I believe the actually lived in Morton, IL.

Two of my sons went to WIU.

In the only picture I'd seen before, he looked older, heavier and was wearing glasses.

He did wear glasses because that was one of the things found on the floor in his living room from which he was abducted, apparently only in his underwear.

Interesting case. Around here, the township government is a source of poor relief (you can get funds for an emergency utility payment and such, but it is generally one-time, non-repeating help) Wonder what his role was back then???

acid on a car is pretty serious vandalism

I'm leaning towards the son being 'collateral' damage - in other words, he discovered something about his dad's murder & was going to blow the whistle

is there any info as to any other siblings and/or the mother in this family? it'd be helpful to know if they were ever investigated or offered any theories

is there any info as to any other siblings and/or the mother in this family? it'd be helpful to know if they were ever investigated or offered any theories

I haven't seen a whole lot about Rawley's family. Perhaps someone who's in Ancestry.com could fill in some blanks

During that time period and area, who would have had access to acid?? What kind of acid? (is there more than one kind?)

If it was acid, I don't at present know what kind. Strong cleaning acids like muriatic (hydrochloric) were commonly available though.

I always wondered if it was actually brake fluid rather than acid. That severely damages car paint and is much safer to handle. Of course, I don't expect a vandal to be particularly smart so who knows.

When I was 19, I accidentally dripped some brake fluid on my new Corvette :furious:

Strong cleaning acids like muriatic (hydrochloric) were commonly available though.

I know back then my dad had some muriatic acid and he just bought it at the hardware store. He's 92 now and may still have it.

I don't know if muriatic acid is still available off the shelf.

I wonder what would be left of a car after 60 years in the ground - plastic, aluminum, lead, chrome flakes? The glass would probably still be there although it's likely broken up.

I believe tires on American cars were synthetic rubber by 1953 so, being a sort of plastic, there might be something of them left.

I grew up in South Fulton County very near summum, always was fascinated by Fay Rawley stories and speculations told by older generations and teachers.. Someone should write a book or movie script.

That's for sure harley.

I just thought of another part of a car that would probably last "forever" in human terms - the porcelain of the spark plugs.

Just to show my age, I remember driving cars with Bakerlite steering wheels and other various car parts made of bakerlite. I don't think that rots either.

Didn't they make jewelry out of bakerlite?

Very interesting thread. Thanks, Stan, for getting it started, and keeping it going!

Yep, knobs on radio and window cranks if it didn't have power windows.

Lead is next to inert so wheel weights.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back