IL IL - Jacksonville, BlkMale 496UMIL, deaf, mute & blind teen, found 1945, died 1993 “Lewis”

@Bit of hope !! Oh wow!, is right! I read the lyrics but hadn’t thought to actually listen to the song! What a perfect homage to John Doe No. 24! It was by no mistake that she happened upon that obituary...

thank you for sharing that! :)

@Bit of hope !! Oh wow!, is right! I read the lyrics but hadn’t thought to actually listen to the song! What a perfect homage to John Doe No. 24! It was by no mistake that she happened upon that obituary...

thank you for sharing that! :)
I believe that nothing is for nothing....people and things never happen just like that...there is a plan.....

I have autism, I have been bullied, and while I didn't go through the horror this poor guy did, I probably felt the same way. So I can't imagine being called "feeble minded" by people you would think want to help you, the court.

@Grungster I'm sorry you have been treated poorly. And although awareness, language and behaviour has no doubt improved, as the aunt of two autistic young adults, I think we have a long way to go. They aren't always treated in accordance with their intelligence, needs or ambitions. It is hurtful and it sucks.

@Grungster I'm sorry you have been treated poorly. And although awareness, language and behaviour has no doubt improved, as the aunt of two autistic young adults, I think we have a long way to go. They aren't always treated in accordance with their intelligence, needs or ambitions. It is hurtful and it sucks.
Thank you so much

What a sad story. It's hard to believe those positioned to help would treat such a young soul with such disrespect. Young and disabled at that. Then to have faced more mistreatment in the system that was supposed to care for him. I'm so glad things have changed since the mid-1900's but we still have much to work on.

496UMIL.jpg
496UMIL2.jpg

Image of the victim in 1945 and 1983

Date of Discovery: October 11, 1945
Location of Discovery: Jacksonville, Morgan County, Illinois
Estimated Date of Death: November 28, 1993
State of Remains: Alive when located
Cause of Death: Stroke

Physical Description
Estimated Age: Teens
Race: Black
Hair Color: Black or brown
Eye Color: Brown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unable to communicate: deaf and mute. Mentally handicapped

Circumstances of Discovery

Police found a teen-age boy in the early morning hours of October 11, 1945, in Jacksonville, Illinois. Unable to communicate, the deaf and mute teenager was labeled "feeble minded" and sentenced by a judge to the Lincoln State School and Colony in Jacksonville.

He remained in the Illinois mental health care system for over thirty years. Deaf, mute, and later blind, the young black man survived beatings, hunger, overcrowding, and the dehumanizing treatment that characterized state institutions through the 1950s. In spite of his environment, he made friends, took on responsibilities, and developed a sense of humor. People who knew him found him remarkable. He had a straw hat he loved to wear, and carried a backpack with his collection of rings, glasses, and silverware with him everywhere.

Possible hints to his identity include his 'scrawling "Lewis"' and his 'pantomimed, wild accounts of foot-stomping jazz bars and circus parades.'

He died after having a stroke at the Sharon Oaks Nursing Home in Peoria on November 28, 1993. Officials believe he was around 64 years old at the time.

After reading a story about him in the New York Times, acclaimed singer-songwriter Mary Chapin Carpenter wrote and recorded "John Doe No. 24" and purchased a headstone for his unmarked grave. Award-winning journalist Dave Bakke wrote God Knows His Name: The True Story of John Doe No. 24.

LINK:
CASE NUMBER - 496UMIL

Sad story. At least his life improved later on beforgping blind.

I wonder if he was truly learning disabled. In the past, deaf people didn’t have as many opportunities to learn even the most basic things such as communication, which stunted them, rather than them being inherently stunted.

A little correction: The Lincoln State School and Colony (later Lincoln Developmental Center) was NOT in Jacksonville. It is in fact in Lincoln, IL and I went to college there and lived in Lincoln while I was in LPN school. Several of my fellow students- including a lady I commuted daily to Springfield with for a year, worked there.
While it WAS an institutional setting- there was much community involvement (at least in the mid-70s when I lived there) in activities for the residents around holidays and events like the county fair.

Here's an article that provides some insight: Lincoln State School of Lincoln, Illinois

In case someone else follows this path of research:

In other forums, other people have connected the name on this JD24's vest (GD) to a man in the Jacksonville State Hospital. This was a white man born in England who was quite a bit older than JD24 and died in 1945. This may provide a clue as to his whereabouts before he was found. I did some digging into the Jacksonville institutional censuses in 1940 and found the Illinois School for the Deaf in Jacksonville. There, I found a 14yo black male named R. Lewis. I traced him to a family in Chicago with parents E & M, grandmother M, lots of siblings. It appears he was born in 1925 as R. E. Lewis. In 1930, he lived in Chicago with his family. In 1935, the father E passed away. It looks like the mother M passed soon after. By 1940, the siblings lived with grandmother M. In the 1940 census, he is listed as absent from the household, institutionalized, so I know it's the right R. Lewis.

Unfortunately, there is a social security death record for this man from June 1977, filled out by a DPH worker. The address is some kind of hospital or care home. Because of the death record, it does not appear this is the right person to be JD24.

It was an interesting avenue to research, and may provide answers to JD24's identity. There were more black boys in the right age range at the School for the Deaf in 1940 that should be researched/ruled out. Is it possible JD24 was in the institutional system before he was found, given the connection to GD and the Jacksonville State Hospital?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back