GUILTY IL - Jacob Wheeler, 22, & Jessica Evans, 17, White County, 25 Aug 2012 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad works for a local farm service company. He said Coston was on one of the jobs he worked at a few weeks ago, in the Carmi area. Coston is apparently some kind of electrician, or he works for electricians. My dad doesn't really remember him that well, but he was on the job with him (this was before the murders).

I wonder if he acted any different after the murders. The more details we hear, I'm beginning to think he may be a true psychopath. Maybe he has just had everybody fooled for a long time.

He and Brandon Lavergne are similar, IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if this was not his first assault/murder.

OK, I know this may sound kind of strange, and I still feel weird that I did it, but I went for a drive today in the area near where the crime took place. It is a LOT more remote than I initially thought. Narrow gravel roads, thick trees, tall grass, fields that haven't been harvested yet.... I can totally see how the searchers missed things at first. I can also see how locals had to be involved in this. You would have to know where you were going to be able to find this place. I had a map, and I still felt like I was lost. The roads are narrow with lots of turns and bends and hills. In fact, I never got near the actual crime scene, because it was just too far out and I felt uncomfortable being out there by myself.

For anyone who would like to see what the land looks like, I took a few photos. Again, this is NOT THE CRIME SCENE- I never made it that far, and I wouldn't have taken photos of that anyway (too disrespectful). Just to give you an idea of what the area looks like.

I can't get the photos to load in the body of this post, but you can see them here:

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjBVSWPw
Thanks for the pics.

What an otherwise inviting place to go camping. I am a camper, and this area has so much to offer for a peaceful, beautiful place to fish and enjoy nature.

I just cannot fathom how this monster even came upon them, and then committed such horrific assaults on them!:(

Hello,
Although this is my first post I've been reading for a while. I'm from southern Illinois and have close friends that live in Carmi.

I truly wish Il still had the death penalty because this is a textbook case for it.

I was thinking about the Sheriff's actions today, at first I too was offended that he would "comfort" this monster but after considering things I feel differently.

Southern Illinois is composed of small towns - almost everybody either knows you or your family at least enough to speak or wave on the street. I think the Sheriff is utilizing his familiarity to his advantage while he can. We have to remember that this Sheriff and his team got DC to confess and give enough details to find this innocent young man within hours of the initial questioning. If the Sheriff can keep communication open to get even one more detail of the crime to help convict DC I believe he's willing to do what he has to do to get that information.

I have never met any member of the White county Sheriff's department but having lived in this area for decades I've heard lots of gossip. I've only heard honorable things about this guys so I'm going to presume he's working the case and not showing favoritism.

I'm glad to be here and hope to learn from all of you.

:welcome: RoseB!

Thank you for your insight!

I definitely see your point regarding the sheriff's handling of the perp. He would have to create a relationship of trust with the perp to be able to gain as much information as possible.

Agree :(. Very concerning...and now wondering again if meth was involved and if the women who had been in his presence got that hinky feeling everytime he was around. My immediate thought to his actions reminds me of Richard Rameriz in CA. He didn't care if the woman's mate was around either....just took care of them. Either he has been wearing a mask for a long time or combined elements from the outside took their toll on him. imo

Anyone know if he was employed before this? TIA

O/T... But DH and I were living in an apartment near where Richard Ramirez's rampage occurred. I remember we closed windows, and locked doors, even though there was a heat wave going on. IIRC, sales of A/C's and energy bills rose as people were terrified of where this monster would go next. I even slept in our hallway, furthest away from any openings to the apt. sometimes, since I was so afraid!

thanks for letting me share.

BBM
I believe it was already stated earlier that there weren't drugs in his system. I'm not sure why everybody seems to think that all serious crime these days is because of meth use; these things were happening long before meth ever existed. I've seen alcohol completely change quiet, easy-going, even-tempered people into raging maniacs. It isn't like some drugs which cause the thoughts/feelings/behaviors in many cases, it's a combination of brain damage from long term use, depression and depressed inhibitions that would usually prevent that behavior. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this wasn't the first time he'd assaulted a girl (or at least tried to), and he possibly fantasized about the whole things many times - but most likely never thought he'd ever act on it.
MOO

I don't think so many of us would consider the possibility of drugs, such as meth, to be involved in this case, as statistically speaking, we witness this to be the case in so many horrific crimes.

We would not be so quick to consider this aspect if we were not made so aware of it in news, and possibly, in our communities.

JMO and MOO

He and Brandon Lavergne are similar, IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if this was not his first assault/murder.

I respectfully disagree. No one was surprised when Brandon Lavergne was arrested. (meaning, no one that knew him). His mask slipped often and was noticed by all he had contact with. DC seems "normal". I put it that way because "normal" people don't rape and murder innocent folks who were just trying to fish and camp. This case is so heartbreaking and bizarre. I hope we hear the story of what happened that night soon.

I don't think so many of us would consider the possibility of drugs, such as meth, to be involved in this case, as statistically speaking, we witness this to be the case in so many horrific crimes.

We would not be so quick to consider this aspect if we were not made so aware of it in news, and possibly, in our communities.

JMO and MOO

FWIW, and consider it a rumor, but in many of the articles where there were locals commenting, it is was said multiple times that it was no secret he was a meth head.

http://www.carmitimes.com/article/20120904/NEWS/120909833

An exhaustive search for the firearm used in the homicides was conducted over this past weekend using specialized equipment in many instances, but failed to find the weapon. It is said to be a small caliber handgun.

Coston reportedly left the Legion late Saturday night and gave his co-worker a ride home before departing for a fishing trip of his own on the Little Wabash River east of Centerville where he allegedly encountered Evans and Wheeler.

Wow!

I can't help but wonder what series of emotions Coston's co-worker is feeling now!

Don't think I'm ready to swallow the fishing trip after a night of heavy drinking, but....? He would have zonked within the first 5 minutes of putting his line in unless he had help staying awake. IMO I just think he was curious/nosy who was down there. Why did Jake offer to take him home? How did the fishing trip turn into needing a ride home....and a double murder?

I noticed in this article it says Coston was working for an electrical contractor. I have a friend who's husband works for a construction company and he recognized Coston from work. Apparently Coston was working on a project in Mt. Vernon, IL at the same location my friend's husband was working. I was told he was at work all last week and the week before, did not miss a single day until he was arrested. Obviously this is just a second hand account....but does anyone else find that extra scary that he did this then went back to his normal life? work and all? Makes me cringe.
:welcome: Valli!

thank you for your information!

It puts more light on the type of person Coston really is!:what:

FWIW, and consider it a rumor, but in many of the articles where there were locals commenting, it is was said multiple times that it was no secret he was a meth head.

I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be a fact!

I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be a fact!

He doesn't exactly have that meth-head look, though. I mean, he's not emaciated, his eyes are focused, and he seems to have all of his teeth. ;)

Meth does stay in the system longer than other drugs, I believe. I'm pretty sure if he is a meth head, a tox screen would show it, even if he hadn't done meth that night.

He doesn't exactly have that meth-head look, though. I mean, he's not emaciated, his eyes are focused, and he seems to have all of his teeth. ;)

Meth does stay in the system longer than other drugs, I believe. I'm pretty sure if he is a meth head, a tox screen would show it, even if he hadn't done meth that night.

I've watched an in-law close to me descend into meth hell over 5+ years. He still has his teeth and eats (or at least he did the last time I saw him a year ago). He worked as well for the first 4 or so years. The story is long and sordid, but at one point he did physically assault my sister while high - pretty badly, which he had never done before in their 10+ years of marriage. So...I try not to judge drug abuse by "face value."

I've watched an in-law close to me descend into meth hell over 5+ years. He still has his teeth and eats (or at least he did the last time I saw him a year ago). He worked as well for the first 4 or so years. The story is long and sordid, but at one point he did physically assault my sister while high - pretty badly, which he had never done before in their 10+ years of marriage. So...I try not to judge drug abuse by "face value."

That's the scary thing about meth, isn't it? It really does make people do horrible, crazy things that they would never do otherwise. I mean, it's not an excuse; everyone is still responsible for their own actions. But we've had a couple of murders in this area that were due to meth, and the people who did it said they were paranoid and thought everyone was out to get them, so they attacked. One even killed some of his own family members.

Just to reiterate- I'm pretty sure there is only one person spreading the rumor on Facebook that Coston is a meth-head, and I'm pretty sure that person doesn't know what she is talking about. The sheriff has said meth was not a factor here, and I think they even said there was no meth in his system (still trying to verify that). Also, if he was on meth, he probably would have been charged with that in addition to the murder and assault charges. Meth is a felony with a pretty serious penalty in Illinois.

That's the scary thing about meth, isn't it? It really does make people do horrible, crazy things that they would never do otherwise. I mean, it's not an excuse; everyone is still responsible for their own actions. But we've had a couple of murders in this area that were due to meth, and the people who did it said they were paranoid and thought everyone was out to get them, so they attacked. One even killed some of his own family members.

From what I saw, it also makes a person hyper-sexual. BIL was a very accomplished artist and master cabinet maker/woodworker. When I went to visit, I found his shop covered in collages of women's legs, arms, breasts, etc. He even pulled me aside and said, "You are in this collage. Can you guess where you are?" He had taken scissors to one of my wedding photos (the traditional one where the bride pulls up the dress to show her garter), cut my leg out and put it in his 'art.' I was FREAKED OUT!!

After my sister moved out about 6 months ago, she went to their old home to get some more of her stuff. The electricity had been turned off for some time. He was still living there. BUT, he had spray painted all of the walls with weird sayings and made more women collages all over the walls.

Needless to say, my sister is in hiding now. She's terrified of him and what he is capable of.

Prior to this last episode, we all tried talking to him - to no avail. He's on his own now, and like you said responsible for EVERYTHING he does. He will never get a pass from me for anything. :banghead:

From what I saw, it also makes a person hyper-sexual. BIL was a very accomplished artist and master cabinet maker/woodworker. When I went to visit, I found his shop covered in collages of women's legs, arms, breasts, etc. He even pulled me aside and said, "You are in this collage. Can you guess where you are?" He had taken scissors to one of my wedding photos (the traditional one where the bride pulls up the dress to show her garter), cut my leg out and put it in his 'art.' I was FREAKED OUT!!

After my sister moved out about 6 months ago, she went to their old home to get some more of her stuff. The electricity had been turned off for some time. He was still living there. BUT, he had spray painted all of the walls with weird sayings and made more women collages all over the walls.

Needless to say, my sister is in hiding now. She's terrified of him and what he is capable of.

Prior to this last episode, we all tried talking to him - to no avail. He's on his own now, and like you said responsible for EVERYTHING he does. He will never get a pass from me for anything. :banghead:
wow! Creepy and tragic for your sister! ):

Maybe he is just a meth-head in the making? :waitasec:

Articles I saw earlier today that were published yesterday added sexual assault to the list of charges. :(

Articles here and here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member