IL IL - Jesse Ross, 20, Chicago, 21 Nov 2006

Aug 14, 2020
'On November 21, 2006, 19-year-old Jesse Ross was attending a Model United Nations conference in Chicago. Jesse called his parents to tell them he was having a great time. They would never hear or see their son again.'

I understand that investigators considered the possibility Jesse may have ended up in Lake Michigan but it was ultimately ruled out because the floodgates were locked.

The curious thing about the river theory is that Jesse should've been captured on surveillance camera if he took the exit that led to the river, whereas the only route from the hotel that wasn't surveilled was one that went away from the river. The fact that Jesse wasn't picked up on camera suggests that he took this exit. Unless he went back on himself, but in that case, how did he evade the security cameras?
Since Chicago is on a grid, it's fairly common to exit on say the north side of a building (in this case that would be away from the river I *believe*) and then very easily walk back southwards. The river is still extremely close, so it's a matter of maybe one city block before you get back to it. It's of course possible that he went somewhere else and it is not what where he ended up, just IMO the location makes it easy to access even if you're 5 blocks away in any direction.

Since Chicago is on a grid, it's fairly common to exit on say the north side of a building (in this case that would be away from the river I *believe*) and then very easily walk back southwards. The river is still extremely close, so it's a matter of maybe one city block before you get back to it. It's of course possible that he went somewhere else and it is not what where he ended up, just IMO the location makes it easy to access even if you're 5 blocks away in any direction.
Thank you. I can't see past the river theory, tbh. There doesn't appear to be much scope for foul play. Young men with no criminal history aren't usually abducted, and there was no evidence of a struggle. Whether he ended up in the river accidentally or deliberately (be it misadventure or suicide) is another matter.

jesse_warren_ross_1.jpg
Missing from: Chicago, Illinois
Missing since: November 21, 2006
Date of Birth: February 18, 1987
Age at disappearance: 19
Height: 5’ 10”
Weight: 140
Hair Color: Red
Eye Color: Blue

Distinguishing Characteristics: Scars, Marks, Tattoos: Caucasian male. Pale complexion, freckles, may wear eyeglasses. Nickname: “Opie”

Details of Disappearance: Jesse was in Chicago for a mock United Nations meeting. He disappeared from the Sheraton Towers hotel in the downtown area on November 21, 2006 at about 2:00 a.m. He was attending in Chicago with 13 other University of Missouri-Kansas City students. The day before his return he learned a sponsor had just promised them a trip to Costa Rica. Police say there has been no activity on Jesse’s cell phone or credit cards. He is currently a sophomore at the University of Missouri in Kansas City.

Jan 30, 2021

November 21, 2006

In November 2006, Jesse Ross, 20, a sophomore in college, traveled to Chicago with a group of thirteen of his fellow University of Missouri-Kansas City college students and their faculty sponsor. The group was in town to attend a model United Nations convention held at the Sheraton Chicago Hotel and Towers. The conference drew more than 1,000 college students from around the country.

On Nov. 20, Jesse called his mother, Donna, to say that he was having a blast at the conference and that he would call her the next day when he and the group were headed back home.

The next night, Nov. 21, the last night of the conference, a dance was held at the hotel. Jesse was spotted on a surveillance photo just before 1 am. He was then seen again at about 2:30 a.m. by friend Ralph Parker. He and Parker were taking part in a simulated emergency U.N. meeting with 30 other students when Jesse left the conference room through a side door. A surveillance camera in the hotel lobby caught the unmistakable image of the red-haired Jesse, clad in a white T-shirt, jeans, and a green warm-up jacket, walking toward the main doors. He was carrying a Gatorade bottle. Parker assumed Jesse had either gone to the restroom or headed back to their hotel to sleep. The hotel was at the Four Points Sheraton at 630 N. Rush St., about ten minutes away, but Jesse never arrived. No one has seen him since.

When the meeting concluded at about 5:30 a.m., Parker walked back to the hotel room alone. He turned on the hall light so he wouldn’t disturb his roommate. “There was a big mess on the bed, and he’s so skinny, I figured he was under the mess somewhere,” Parker says of Jesse. But when he woke up at 10 a.m., he realized Jesse had never returned. No reason to panic, he probably just crashed in someone else’s room, Parker thought. “So I just packed up his stuff thinking he should be thanking me,” he says. It wasn't until about 3 p.m., 12 hours after Jesse had last been seen that Parker and the other UMKC students on the trip realized there was a real emergency.

Jesse Ross is still missing.

About Jesse

Jesse Ross is described as intelligent and funny--a very likable young man not known for ever being depressed or negative. While friends say he had the occasional drink, he never became belligerent or disorderly if drinking. Jesse also has a very bright future mapped out and was on the path to achieving his goals. To anyone who knows him, there is nothing to lead them to believe that Jesse could have walked away from his life or that he would have committed suicide.

Jesse was majoring in communication studies/broadcasting with a minor in political science. He had received a scholarship to attend the University of Missouri Kansas City because of his high ACT score in high school. While at school, he had gotten a promotion from unpaid intern to paid morning on-air personality at Kansas City radio station 95.7 FM - "The Vibe"--- dream job for a sophomore communication studies/broadcasting major. He was now a popular radio personality on the "Shorty and the Boyz" morning show. Coworkers decided he needed an on-air name, so they named him "Opie Cunningham," after Ron Howard's TV characters, Opie Taylor and Richie Cunningham, said Don.

He was also looking forward to finishing up his new room in his parents' home, and he was pledging the Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity.

No clues in disappearance

Since Jesse Ross was reported missing, police divers and cadaver dogs have searched along the Chicago River near the Sheraton Chicago Hotel and Towers. Police have also searched the area around both hotels---the Sheraton Chicago Hotel and Towers, where Jesse was last seen, and the Four Points Sheraton, where he was staying. They have not turned up any leads. Chicago police have found no evidence that he was a victim of foul play. There has been no activity on Jesse's credit cards or his cell phone, neither of which have been found. GPS tracking could not be used on Jesse's cell phone because it is either turned off or the battery is dead.

On a Web site dedicated to her son, Donna Ross has expressed her frustration. "When you lose someone you love when they pass on, you grieve and then you move on with your life," Donna said. "We are nowhere. We are still stuck in that revolving door. We know nothing more than we knew that first day."

Had also been thinking of Jesse when reading about Riley's case. imo.
From link, ty..

'''When Jesse left for Chicago, he packed some music mixes in hopes of networking. His parents believe he may have encountered the wrong person trying to share his love for music''.

“I think the main thing to us that stands out is he ended up separated from a group and on his own,” Don said. “When we heard the story that’s kind of the parallels that we thought. It makes us cringe.”

The fact I find rather strange, is that Jesse was mugged previously (I believe his camera was stolen when he was in chicago the year before). One has to wonder why he chose to take $400 on this last trip when he had previously experience it was dangerous. What reason would one have to carry that much money on a school trip? Seems odd to me

The fact I find rather strange, is that Jesse was mugged previously (I believe his camera was stolen when he was in chicago the year before). One has to wonder why he chose to take $400 on this last trip when he had previously experience it was dangerous. What reason would one have to carry that much money on a school trip? Seems odd to me
Having $400 in his wallet doesn’t seem strange to me, maybe perhaps if we throw in that he was mugged the year before, I don’t know. My two kids, who are in college, have several hundred dollars in their wallets because when they get cash gifts, into the wallet it goes. If I were to ask them how much they have, they wouldn’t know without looking. Anywhere they go, they take their wallets, not considering all the cash it contains at all.

On the flip side, $400 back then is a lot, but cash was king, and he was traveling. Makes sense to me to make sure you have more than enough cash and then a bit more for good measure.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back