IL - Jonylah Watkins, 6 mos, shot to death, Chicago, 11 March 2013 *Arrest*

Jonathan Watkins' sister, Cecilia Watkins, said that she didn't know why someone would target her brother.

"Only thing I can think of is we grew up in that neighborhood, and those people over there don't like my brother," she said. "That's the only thing I can think of, because I wasn't there, and I don't hang around there."

(Rev. Corey) Brooks said the attention paid to Watkins' alleged gang ties is "offensive to the community."

"For everyone talking about gang affiliation, I think our focus needs to be on the fact that a 6-month-old baby died," Brooks said.

"The city of Chicago should be outraged that in our city a 6-month-old baby could be shot and killed. It's horrific, and for us not to speak out, and for us to not say anything would be just as horrific."

Much more info in the above article as it seems like it is local news for this particular community.

The community is offering an $11,000 reward for the capture of Jonylah's shooter.

Father of Slain Baby Arrested 39 Times

Chicago's police superintdent says shooting that killed Jonylah Watkins has "very strong gang overtones," adding that Jonathan Watkins was the intended target. Phil Rogers reports.

Thanks you. I don't have working speakers so I almost never look at the videos. The snippet in the OP says he was changing the babies diaper in the front passenger seat. I kind of assumed he was standing outside while the infant was laying on the front passenger seat, but it's possible he had her laying on the front seat and changed her from the drivers seat? (but then how did he get her out of a car seat, and was she in a car seat?)

According to MSM he was shot in the buttock so I assume he was standing when shot. Possibly facing the drivers side and if the passenger door was open, that would explain why only the drivers side window was shot out.

I think you're right, that the shooting was from behind the father...the info on the shoulder/thigh of the baby was confusing too, but now that has apparently changed. This is from one of the new links you posted and is the best explanation I've seen:

Watkins was visiting friends in the area, family members said. Officer John Mirabelli, a Chicago Police spokesman, said Watkins had his back to an alley as he was changing his daughter's diaper on the passenger seat of a parked tan van. A man emerged from an alley and fired several shots at him from behind, grazing his right cheek and striking him in the buttocks and left side, Mirabelli said.

Police initially said the girl was hit in the shoulder by a bullet, which lodged in one of her thighs. But family members later said she had five gunshot wounds.

Read more: http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2013...-times-another-wounded-woodlawn#ixzz2NU5mmxB9

Since this tragedy has galvanized the community you would hope they would try to make some changes. A good sign is if someone would turn in the killer of this little baby.

Officials are beginning to doubt a father's story that he was changing his baby's diaper at the time of the shooting that killed her, police sources said Wednesday.

<snip>

Officials on Monday said Watkins told them the baby was on the front passenger seat of the family van when a gunman walked up behind and opened fire. Little Jonylah Watkins was wounded in five places: in the thigh, shoulder, lung, liver and bowels.

But a medical examiner source indicated it was likely a single bullet doing all that damage. The bullet traversed down and through her body from her shoulder to her groin and ended up in her diaper, an official said.

More at link.
so horrible what she had to endure in her final hours of life.

Additionally, there seems to be a debate between the family spokesperson, Rev. Corey Brooks (who has associated himself with some rather controversial issues per recent msm) and police with regards to Jonathan Watkins alleged gang ties.

Whether dad is a current or former gang member is really irrelevant imo. The consequences of a history of poor choices and a long criminal record don't just go away once one has a child and marries that child's mother.

And consequences of poor choices don't just go away when one decides they are no longer in a gang, but still living in the immediate area associated with trouble. Kind of like a drunk continuing to hang out in a bar after getting sober, it usually doesn't work too well that way. Cleaning up one's act is a process, not an event. That should be of importance to the good rev. if he really cares about this precious innocent child and wants a better chance at making a difference. Gotta get people to understand when bad choices are made we risk the consequences for those decisions for a long time.

Debating dad is an angel as opposed to Dad admitting his faults and his 'role' in his daughters death will go much much further than turning him into a saint for marrying his childs mother.

All jmo and praying dad decides to fully cooperate if in fact he does know who shot his daughter.

ETA: by 'his role', I mean why he would be targeted by an alleged gang member. I realize the perp is the sole person responsible, but there was a reason the perp targeted dad.

Thanks, Cubby....so we're back to the 'one bullet' theory and now not even sure if he was changing the baby or what direction the shots came from....the only thing positive I got from the article is:

He remains hospitalized, but police said they believe he knows who shot at him and that he is beginning to cooperate.

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/jonathan-jonylah-watkins-shooting--197906861.html#ixzz2NXAIt0uV

WOW....so great of him to 'begin' to want to give info on who murdered his daughter....what a 'man'!

:furious:

Yes, I'm glad he is "beginning" to cooperate with police.

I've heard info on this case on WBBM am780 in addition to msm. I don't recall who said it, but someone on the radio said it might be unlikely that dad would cooperate because these gangs have their own justice system.

Maybe dad wanted at the perp more than dad wanted the police to charge him? IDK, I just hope and pray he does the right thing and lets LE take care of this before the person responsible off's any more babies.

The Rev. stating dad is fully cooperating. I still haven't seen anything from LE stating he is fully cooperating - yet. Hopefully they will release a statement later today.

I thought the following was of interest:

The Sun-Times <snip> A source told that newspaper that Jonylah may have been sitting on her father's lap at the time of the shooting.

Read more: http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2013...ital-talk-police-spokesman-says#ixzz2NcDo2Bd4

Shooting death of Chicago 6-month-old baby sparks march

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...of-chicago-6-month-old-baby-sparks-march?lite

...........The group chanted throughout their walk, shouting, &#8220;Stop the violence,&#8221; and, &#8220;You save my baby, I&#8217;ll save your baby.&#8221;

Police said father Jonathan Watkins told them he was changing the diaper on his 6-month-old daughter, Jonylah Watkins, on Monday when someone came up behind him and started shooting. Sources told NBC Chicago on Wednesday police had their doubts about that story.............

Jonylah Watkins' funeral has been scheduled for March 19. Brooks said basketball star Derrick Rose has offered to pay for the services......

I just pray there is an arrest by Tuesday. How nice it would be to lay this baby to rest with the person responsible behind bars.

The Rev. stating dad is fully cooperating. I still haven't seen anything from LE stating he is fully cooperating - yet. Hopefully they will release a statement later today.

I thought the following was of interest:

The Sun-Times <snip> A source told that newspaper that Jonylah may have been sitting on her father's lap at the time of the shooting.

Read more: http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2013...ital-talk-police-spokesman-says#ixzz2NcDo2Bd4

I sincerely hope that he did not instinctively use this baby as a shield.

IDK, there is something about the story regarding what exactly was happening in the van which doesn't sit right.

My first thought was did she have a car seat or was dad holding her on his lap while someone else was driving?

Looking for news of an arrest. Sadly, have not found anything. Not even anything more about the suspect.

At his now weekly news conference calling for stricter gun control laws, McCarthy said some of what was initially reported about the Watkins shooting was not true.

"First of all, [Jonathan Watkins] was not changing the baby's diaper when this occurred, and we found no evidence that the mother, his wife, was ever shot," McCarthy said, referring to statements by relatives of Jonylah's mother, who said Judy Watkins was shot while pregnant with Jonylah.

McCarthy said police believe Watkins was sitting in the driver's seat of the van with Jonylah on his lap when the shooter approached from the sidewalk and shot "over his right shoulder."

"The other thing that was significant was the baby was hit with one bullet, not five," McCarthy said.

McCarthy said Jonathan Watkins is talking with police.

"At this point, we think there's a lot more he could help us with, but he is cooperating with the investigation," McCarthy said, crediting the Rev. Corey Brooks for "an amazing job of really trying to get that to happen."

Read more: http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2013...police-supt-garry-mccarthy-says#ixzz2NwHUUzZB

At his now weekly news conference calling for stricter gun control laws, McCarthy said some of what was initially reported about the Watkins shooting was not true.

"First of all, [Jonathan Watkins] was not changing the baby's diaper when this occurred, and we found no evidence that the mother, his wife, was ever shot," McCarthy said, referring to statements by relatives of Jonylah's mother, who said Judy Watkins was shot while pregnant with Jonylah.

McCarthy said police believe Watkins was sitting in the driver's seat of the van with Jonylah on his lap when the shooter approached from the sidewalk and shot "over his right shoulder."

"The other thing that was significant was the baby was hit with one bullet, not five," McCarthy said.

McCarthy said Jonathan Watkins is talking with police.

"At this point, we think there's a lot more he could help us with, but he is cooperating with the investigation," McCarthy said, crediting the Rev. Corey Brooks for "an amazing job of really trying to get that to happen."

Read more: http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2013...police-supt-garry-mccarthy-says#ixzz2NwHUUzZB

BBM: This makes me sick!

In his eulogy, Brooks related how attached he had become to the Watkins family in the last week and said that Jonathan Watkins, who police have said is a member of the Gangster Disciples, told him he would embrace a church life.

Brooks appealed to Jonylah's parents, churchgoers, non-churchgoers, and "gangbangers in the room," saying terrible events like Jonylah's death could move people to change for the better.

"I want to challenge you to get clean," Brooks told the crowd. "Just because you are in dirty places and are with dirty people doesn't mean you have to be dirty."

Read more: http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2013...xpected-pay-respects-slain-baby#ixzz2O2FlBVjT

Much much more at link including pictures.

Praying for the changes Rev. Brooks is requesting and praying for an arrest soon.

I'm liking Rev. Brooks.

PLEASE God - let the person that did this have a molecule of conscience..........

I'm liking Rev. Brooks.

PLEASE God - let the person that did this have a molecule of conscience..........

I'm liking Rev. Brooks, too. I'm also liking this dnainfo.com site. Apparently they just launched into Chicago in late November of last year and are more neighborhood oriented in their news reporting. It's a really nice difference from the Trib and Sun Times.

A little OT, but here is a write up about dnainfo.com from the Chicago Reader.

http://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader/archives/2012/11/27/dnainfo-launches-in-chicago

RIP, little Jonylah.....I like what Rev. Brooks said also...hoping the community does not forget this baby and will take this tragedy as a sign that changes need to be made...

I'm wondering what was the purpose of the father telling the story about changing the diaper on the passenger side of the van and being shot from behind? Since now we know he was sitting in the front driver's seat, was it because he did not want to admit he saw the shooter?

Police are questioning a person of interest in the fatal drive-by shooting of a 6-month-old Chicago baby, reported ABC's Chicago station WLS-TV.

<snip>

Jonylah's parents held hands at a news conference Sunday as their pastor, Corey Brooks, said they hoped that whoever killed their baby would be brought to justice

"We think that every day it is going to happen. Every single day we are hopeful and thankful, you know, that it is going to happen," Brooks said, as reported by WLS. "We are hoping that it will be in the next 24 hours."

A Chicago police spokesman declined to comment to ABCNews.com, citing the ongoing investigation.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/jonylah-wa...oned-shooting-death-chicago/story?id=19263860

I was just thinking about Jonylah a few days ago and went searching for news and found nothing. Was glad to see this come up on my newsfeed today.

Praying an arrest comes soon.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back