IL IL - Judith Anderson, 15, Chicago, 16 Aug 1957

But why dismember her? Why not just bury her somewhere? Did the cops search the Abbatacola residence after the murder? Did Judith's fam have suspicions about them?

Not sure. I need to read up on this, if sources are available. I did read your excellent link from the first post and, while I've known about the case for a long while, about everything I knew was contained in your link.

If someone in the house did shoot Judith-where did the kids get the gun from? Was their father known to have a gun? Did Judith's parents know that Nick molested a child? Lastly and I hate to ask this, but I have to-were the Abbatacola's "connected"? I only say that because of Judith being shot and dismembered.

Also, if Nick spent time in the clink, it possible he knew some very unsavory characters who would have no trouble getting rid of a body

If someone in the house did shoot Judith-where did the kids get the gun from? Was their father known to have a gun? Did Judith's parents know that Nick molested a child? Lastly and I hate to ask this, but I have to-were the Abbatacola's "connected"? I only say that because of Judith being shot and dismembered.

Also, if Nick spent time in the clink, it possible he knew some very unsavory characters who would have no trouble getting rid of a body

It was just their initial reaction that makes me suspicious; Mr. Andersen went over that night after calling repeatedly and getting no answer and, even though lights were on at the Abbatacolas, no one answered the door.

How well did the Andersen's know the Abbatacolas? Did Judith hang with Elena a lot? Did she ever express misgivings about Nick? What was the rep of the Abbatacola's in the community? Were people aware of what Nick did? Was he shunned or was it ignored? Was the kid he harmed in that neighborhood? Did the Andersen familly like the Abbatacola's before this? Was this a working class community? Also, wasn't there speculation that Judith had been kept alive for a few days before she was killed?

How well did the Andersen's know the Abbatacolas? Did Judith hang with Elena a lot? Did she ever express misgivings about Nick? What was the rep of the Abbatacola's in the community? Were people aware of what Nick did? Was he shunned or was it ignored? Was the kid he harmed in that neighborhood? Did the Andersen familly like the Abbatacola's before this? Was this a working class community? Also, wasn't there speculation that Judith had been kept alive for a few days before she was killed?

I like Sleuthster's ideas (#3 above). I think it was a blue collar neighborhood. The Abbatacolas ran a pizza business. Not sure about the rest.

The timeline joellegirl references above (#9) is worthy because it contains some info not contained in the LA Times blog post, which uses the Chicago Tribune for its information; the Chicago Sun-Times is cited as the source for the "Four Scientists" site's chronology, e.g.,

11:26 pm
Police receive report of screaming coming from the Austin school ground, one mile south of the Andersen home (CST 8/27/57).
11:30-11:45
Marie Cardarelli from her second floor apartment at 1541 N. Lotus hears a "heartbreaking cry that continued for perhaps 10 minutes," perhaps coming from the street. Later "nothing of importance to the case" was discovered in the building's garage (CST 8/26/57).

According to the Social Security Death Index, I have found 4 of her brothers and her mother have died.

Mary (mom) 1900-1973

Nicholas 1939-2003 (had criminal past)
Joseph 1929-2005
William 1933-2007
Leo 1926-1989

That leaves Philip (19 or 20 in 1957), Robert(14 in 1957) and John(25 in 1957) who may still be alive.

Can't find Elena anywhere.

I just find it very odd that eight people lived in the Abbatacola apartment and no one answered the door that night when Mr. Andersen was ringing the doorbell. I can't believe Elena was the only one home and in bed asleep and didn't hear the bell, and the lights were supposedly on.

They never found her legs or feet?

I don't think they ever did....I don't remember reading that they found them anyway.

The Four Scientists site that joellegirl posted on the previous page is kind of interesting. That's where I first read about Judith's case back in 2003. But they must have not gone any further with their investigation because the website started in July 2003 and the last entry was in August 2003.

http://www.quirkyworks.com/judith_mae_andersen/chronology/

There are lots of heartbreaking cries in a city, but I agree. Also, on the missing legs, when I read the LA Times blog report I just assumed the legs were still connected to the torso as it seemed odd that nothing more was mentioned, I guess. I'd love to have a run of old Chicago Trib and Sun-Times issues from '57. The recovery of the legs, if not found, would have received major play.

It says on the Four Scientist club link http://www.quirkyworks.com/judith_mae_andersen/chronology/

that the drum found 8/23/57 contained Judith's torso, legs, left arm, elbow, and wrist. In the 2nd drum found the next day contained her head, right arm and both hands. So it sounds like the legs and hands were there. No mention of feet but maybe they were still attached to the legs?

It says on the Four Scientist club link http://www.quirkyworks.com/judith_mae_andersen/chronology/

that the drum found 8/23/57 contained Judith's torso, legs, left arm, elbow, and wrist. In the 2nd drum found the next day contained her head, right arm and both hands. So it sounds like the legs and hands were there. No mention of feet but maybe they were still attached to the legs?

Thanks, joellegirl, I missed reading about the legs too.

I don't get why she had to be cut up at all

It had to have been part of the cheap thrill kill. Her body could have been dumped intact and hidden in a thousand places. Another reason why I thought the Torso Killer could have been involved (yes, it's a stretch).

Was there any suspicion that Nick molested more than one kid?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linnymac68$
Back