IL IL - Lane Bryant Murders, Tinley Park, 2 Feb 2008

As sad as it is that is the only thing we can do. Does the political system make a difference no it doesn't.The light from so many who love one another does make a difference.I read in the ajc today where 4 homeless people were found dead. This is terrible. Mostly it was weather related and I think that could have been prevented but it wasn't. There is sadness everywhere. We can't stop evil we can only help by spreading more light. The light can come from prayers and helping some to prevent from being a victim. We have to keep going with this as this is what makes WS different and important.

That is what it all boils down to. That is what matters, for me - that we seek and spread light and not let the darkness pull us down into the abyss. We can never forget that this is true action and that it counts - it's not just pretty, empty words - it is life-saving, life-altering, life-changing - the greatest gift we can give humanity.

(snip)
When police arrived, they found multiple victims shot and killed in a back room of the store, Tinley Park police Sgt. T.J. Grady said.

As of 6 p.m., police confirmed that the motive in the case was robbery. In a press conference Saturday night, Grady said there is no indication that the suspect is still not armed.
http://cbs2chicago.com/local/mall.shooting.tinley.2.644307.html

ETA: I think there is still a press conf in about 40 mins.

(snip)
When police arrived, they found multiple victims shot and killed in a back room of the store, Tinley Park police Sgt. T.J. Grady said.

As of 6 p.m., police confirmed that the motive in the case was robbery. In a press conference Saturday night, Grady said there is no indication that the suspect is still not armed.

ETA: I think there is still a press conf in about 40 mins.

Thanks for the update. Do we know if all these victims were employees?

Armed robbery, 5 dead. I'm speechless and so sad for those families.

:(

I missed it too. They have released the name of one shopper, a woman in her 30s from the next town over. They said 4 people are from the Chicago area, and 1 from Indiana.

A picture of one of the victims on her wedding day at the below link:

(snip)
An armed robber killed five women — including at least one customer — this morning at a Lane Bryant clothing store in south suburban Tinley Park before fleeing the scene and launching a manhunt, police said.

What an idiot that robber is. The store would have been open for 14 minutes, and they'd have nothing besides their daily "bank" in the register since I doubt there were any transactions yet.

I hope they get this jerk soon!

Kelly

So it was a robbery. This makes me sick. Women! Half of our society is crazed or depraved now; sorry to be cynical but that's the way I feel sometimes.

A man shot five women for money.

So it was a robbery. This makes me sick. Women! Half of our society is crazed or depraved now; sorry to be cynical but that's the way I feel sometimes.

A man shot five women for money.
And he probably got less than 500.00 dollars total. :(

this is so awful
And the part that doesn't even make sense to begin with
is why a store like this? And armed robbery at that.
and shooting people. This is so terrible.
Wouldn't you think most of the transactions are done
by credit card or debit card or even checks.
How many people carry cash these days.
Makes me so sick.

Hey Floh,:blowkiss:

Just wanted to point out that just as much danger can come to people from their travels online as their travels in real life.

I am so sorry that this tragedy happened and these lives were taken, but I am not afraid to go to malls or to any public places for that matter. I can't imagine that I ever will be.

However, I prefer to shop online because I can do it in my pajamas while eating peanut butter sandwiches!

Certainly there is danger shopping online if you get too close to someone you don't know in real life who turns out to target you and you've given them too much personal information. plus children being targeted by paedophiles.

switching on your computer to do monitor hopping (as opposed to window shopping in real life) isn't going to get you shot! :eek:

online shopping is just great, IMO. but you may keep the peanut butter all to yourself! :blowkiss:

Here i come, the voice of doom again.

of course robbery/theft has been going on since the dawn of time. in our time, though, it's feeling as though it's more and more all the time.

people live in a consumer society and they want things. some don't have the finances for those things yet they decide they're going to take those things they want anyway.

drugs don't help.

i feel we are witnessing and living through the collapse of the western world.

i'm so sad for the losses of the families whose loved ones were slain. :(

There was another robbery of a Lane Bryant in Amarillo TX on Jan. 28th. They caught the man, but he was also charged in other robberies. Probably no connection, but I thought it was odd.

Floh It is because they don't want to work for money to buy drugs. The way to fast cash is through armed robberies and thefts. The parents did it, their kids do it, and there is no control. Is it getting worse? Of course. It isn't because of our "consumer society". It is because gangs make it a standard for youths today.

In our city, they have grown to home invasions using 4 or more people to go into your home or business while you are there to rob you. They simply don't care and do whatever it takes...even if it means murdering innocent victims.

HOme invasions and robberies have been increasing where I am , too.

I worry about my son, who lives in a more "sketchy" area; and going out at night is not as safe as it used to be.

It's a fact that the crime rate is up the last two years nationally. Certain kinds of crimes are way up. There are always various reasons for that.

Lack of funds for enough police force; slowing economy; inability to stop the rampant drug problem. Access to assault weapons. There's a huge underbelly of evil, ignorance and crime that most of us don't come in contact with - so we live in our own bubble.

We're still more likely to be hurt in car accidents; but there is no doubt that crimes like this have been on the uptick the last year or so; we've seen it right on TV and the internet as they come on the news almost monthly.

What a horrendous crime--I hope Illinois still has the Death Penalty--Although I remember former Governor Ryan(who was corrupt and is in prison now himself) put a moratorium on DP cases--Hopefully, that is no longer in effect--What a nightmare for these poor victims' families

This is just so maddening are we safe anywhere anymore??
This is terrible crime there will be a news conference this afternoon at 2Pm where we will learn more.
I don't live to far from where this happen but I was just up at Brementown Mall in Tinley Pk @ 159th and Harlem only a month ago I felt safe there, this happened at 191st St near Harlem. Why don't they have survalliance camera's in these big chains I will never know but there is a Super Target nearby and I am hoping they will see the perp leaving the store from these camera's. My DH works in Frankfort Il where this lady is from. So sad. I guess you just aren;'t safe anywhere anymore.:furious: :sick:
Here is the latest this mornin..............
http://www.nbc5.com/news/15205506/detail.html?dl=mainclick
Gunman Kills 5 Women In Mall Shop
<<SNIP>>

Carrie Hudek Chiuso's husband was waiting for her to return home from a quick shopping trip to a nearby Lane Bryant clothing store Saturday when he saw the news report: There had been a multiple shooting at the store. Even worse, he recognized her car parked in front of the store.

Soon after, her family learned the tragic news: She was one of five women gunned down in a robbery turned deadly at the Brookside Marketplace shopping center in Tinley Park.

The killer was still on the loose Sunday morning.

The Frankfort woman's family "is brokenhearted,'' said Hudek Chiuso's sister-in-law, Jennifer Hudek.

"That son of a took more than just her,'' she said of the gunman. "He took a piece of each of us.''

In addition to Hudek Chiuso, 33, the other four victims were between the ages of 22 and 37, said Tinley Park Police Chief Mike O'Connell. Three were from the Chicago area, the fourth from South Bend, Ind., O'Connell said.

At least one was an employee, O'Connell said.The Rev. Michael Meany, pastor of St. Damian Catholic Church in Oak Forest, confirmed one of the victims was a parishioner of his. He had been in contact with her family but declined to identify her out of "respect for the family."

The robbery unfolded in the full-figured women's retail store, near 191st Street and Harlem Avenue just south of Interstate 80. At 10:44 a.m., police received a call reporting gunshots inside the store. O'Connell said police arrived on the scene within minutes.

Inside, they found mayhem.

"There is no question it was a horrific scene,'' a police source said. The women's bodies were found in a back room.

A witness who saw the gunman leave the store described him as a medium complexion black man, about 5 feet 9 inches tall and weighing between 230 and 290 pounds, police said.
More at site.............

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back