GUILTY IL - Laquan McDonald, 17, fatally shot, Chicago PD charged, 20 Oct 2014 -J. VanDyke GUILTY*

Let me preface what I'm about tto say with this is a horrific crime caused by a bad police officer. It IS muder. It's horrible and I'm glad he's beinng charged, BUT....

Where is the outrage of the overall violence going on chicago? The murder ratte there is ridiculous. Why aren'tt there protests over that? There are childred beig killed in drive bys but no one cares until a white cop kills a black teen. I just don't unnderstad that at all. Our country is goig to hell in a hanndbasket and all we focus on are the small percetage of cops killing innocents rather than the innocennts getting killed every day by criminals in the streets. MOO

I don't know where I read it or heard it, but somewhere it was quoted, 'black lives matter when they're killed by white cops'. Sadly, we don't see the outrage in other cases.

Let me preface what I'm about tto say with this is a horrific crime caused by a bad police officer. It IS muder. It's horrible and I'm glad he's beinng charged, BUT....

Where is the outrage of the overall violence going on chicago? The murder ratte there is ridiculous. Why aren'tt there protests over that? There are childred beig killed in drive bys but no one cares until a white cop kills a black teen. I just don't unnderstad that at all. Our country is goig to hell in a hanndbasket and all we focus on are the small percetage of cops killing innocents rather than the innocennts getting killed every day by criminals in the streets. MOO

I agree about little or no coverage of the innocents who are killed , especially the little children -- where is the outrage for THEM ?

It's sad that one bad officer can possible endanger the life of a good cop who is doing his/her business in a professional and humane manner !!
Imo, it's precisely because of their badge/authority that they must be held to a higher standard.

I don't want to see an innocent policeman/woman murdered because of the actions of Ofcr. Van Dyke.
:moo:

SMH.

That's all I can say, about all of it. About the shooting (no reason to shoot him that many times, even the first one is debatable), the city paying the family off, the protesters getting violent. Just SMH. There is nothing good in this case.

Considering the first degree murder charges, yeah, I think shooting the kid at all is definitely getting debated.

18 prior complaints, and this shooting, and Chicago still thought this cop was fit to be a "peace" officer for more than another year before bothering to charge him. That's terrifying. I understand the feelings of the victim's family, but in the interest of public safety, I'm thankful the video was finally released. It appears to be the only thing capable of motivating the city to action against this cop.

Here, this was a pretty good article about a recent non-police tragedy. There's plenty of outrage. The mass media just tends to ignore it when it doesn't fit the narrative they're seeking to present, so we on the outside don't see it.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ld-tyshaw-lee-funeral-gang-violence/75514152/

But police in our country are given great power, and with that, comes great responsibility ;). IMO, they must be held to a higher standard, or their authority will not be respected by society as a whole. That's a fundamental aspect of the social contract. And really, it's already starting to break down, and we are seeing the ramifications.

There were no marches or protests for the 9 yr old executed in the alley due to gang retaliation against his father. Barely any posts in his thread here IIRC.

Please remember it is the police union, not the city, who protects these rogue cops.

Here, this was a pretty good article about a recent non-police tragedy. There's plenty of outrage. The mass media just tends to ignore it when it doesn't fit the narrative they're seeking to present, so we on the outside don't see it.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ld-tyshaw-lee-funeral-gang-violence/75514152/

But police in our country are given great power, and with that, comes great responsibility ;). IMO, they must be held to a higher standard, or their authority will not be respected by society as a whole. That's a fundamental aspect of the social contract. And really, it's already starting to break down, and we are seeing the ramifications.

Agreed and I would hate to be a cop right now. I fear that many will be turned off on becoming civil servantts and prottecting us because of tthis very thing. Check your daily police blotter, i bet you'll (not you specifically) find there are more burglarys ad genneral crime than cops murdering people. And this guy had a knife. Again, I don'tt condone what happened in this case butt the guy had a weapon.

On our local news, ABC7, it was said he had a 3 inch pocket knife and it was folded when he was shot.

On our local news, ABC7, it was said he had a 3 inch pocket knife and it was folded when he was shot.

Once a gain I am ot condoning this officer's acts, but I have to ask (and I live in Texas) would it be ok if Laquan was killed by a civilian who was threatened by his knife. Was tthe folded knife in his pocket orr displayed? If anyonne came at my on my property, they're gonna be shot. We have had several intruders shot by homeowners laely. I realize Laquan was shott in the back and tthat is not ok but at some time we have to realize that cops have very little time to size up a situation and reactt. I have to say again I am not condonig this officers actions butt in the every day (because it is every dday) situation a cop puts his life on the line, I just believe if people walked a day in their shoes it wouldnt be as big of a riot as it is lately. These cops are protectting us and our families. I have yet tto see a cop just pick some random off the sreet and shoot them Usually itt is someone who has already committed a crime or ssuspected of committing a crime. MOO

The officer who shot Laquan was not the first on the scene. He is one of the backup officers who arrived and tried to box Laquan in between cars. There was nothing I saw to indicate Laquan was a threat to anyone. He was jaywalking away from police when shot. I don't think a folded knife was a threat to anyone at the time he was shot.

What has me dumbfounded is the fact there isn't a stun gun in sight.

Did I miss something? Did the officers have stun guns?

The officer who shot Laquan was not the first on the scene. He is one of the backup officers who arrived and tried to box Laquan in between cars. There was nothing I saw to indicate Laquan was a threat to anyone. He was jaywalking away from police when shot. I don't think a folded knife was a threat to anyone at the time he was shot.

I underrsttad thatt. I watched the vido. My question though is why were so many cops tthere? It obviously wasn't a simpe traffic stop. There was a threat somehow. It's almost like the girl who was blipped by the cop in her desk. SOMETHING she did caused a cop to be there.

And please let me riterate I do NOT condone the cops acttions. Alls I'm saying is put yourself in the shoes of a cops these days.

And if i'm feeling threatened by someone, the gun comes out not the tazer. though I realize cops need to have tazer first. But ive seen many videos where the tazer doesn't phaze the criminal. MOO

I do not condone he cops actions so please don'tt jump on me. I'm just sayin.

On ABC7 it was mentioned the original call to police was to report Laquan breaking into cars. I don't know how far away he was from the cars he was allegedly breaking into when he was shot.

What has me dumbfounded is the fact there isn't a stun gun in sight.

Did I miss something? Did the officers have stun guns?

Good question. According to the following link there are 12,515 police officers in Chicago.
http://www.governing.com/gov-data/s...ce-department-employee-totals-for-cities.html

The next link says the Chicago PD has 700 stun guns.
http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2015/07/07/police-taser-use-far-more-common-report-finds/

Possibly not having funding for tasers for Chicago PD wouldn't be a surprise to me. What surprised me was to see larger cities sometimes don't use them. Boston and Detroit don't.

I wonder why they don't use more. I doubt the cost exceeds the multimillion dollar payouts in cases such as this.

Once a gain I am ot condoning this officer's acts, but I have to ask (and I live in Texas) would it be ok if Laquan was killed by a civilian who was threatened by his knife. Was tthe folded knife in his pocket orr displayed? If anyonne came at my on my property, they're gonna be shot. We have had several intruders shot by homeowners laely. I realize Laquan was shott in the back and tthat is not ok but at some time we have to realize that cops have very little time to size up a situation and reactt. I have to say again I am not condonig this officers actions butt in the every day (because it is every dday) situation a cop puts his life on the line, I just believe if people walked a day in their shoes it wouldnt be as big of a riot as it is lately. These cops are protectting us and our families. I have yet tto see a cop just pick some random off the sreet and shoot them Usually itt is someone who has already committed a crime or ssuspected of committing a crime. MOO

If you shoot an intruder 16 times; You will face jail time. Jmo. You are allowed to defend yourself and property. But 16 times is atrocious. Jmo

if i'm feeling threatened by someone, the gun comes out not the tazer. I'm just sayin.

I salute my friend. A taser only works to a degree. But like you suggested. 16 times was definitely an overkill. I wouldn't even shoot a dangerous lion the size of Cecil the Lion 16 times.

If you shoot an intruder 16 times; You will face jail time. Jmo. You are allowed to defend yourself and property. But 16 times is atrocious. Jmo

If someone breaks intto my home and thrreatens my family, I just may empty a clip or two. But that's me and I'm different from what the cop dealt with so I will say agai I don't codone his acttios.

Agreed and I would hate to be a cop right now. I fear that many will be turned off on becoming civil servantts and prottecting us because of tthis very thing. Check your daily police blotter, i bet you'll (not you specifically) find there are more burglarys ad genneral crime than cops murdering people. And this guy had a knife. Again, I don'tt condone what happened in this case butt the guy had a weapon.

The thing is police are taking an oath to protect and serve, they are supposed to be the good guys. I certainly hold them to a higher standard than a common criminal. Cops shouldn't be murdering anyone, raping, robbing, selling drugs or looking at child *advertiser censored* yet at least once a week I see a story in the news of a police officer doing just that. I expect criminals to be criminals. I don't expect cops to be criminals. In my opinion when a police officer is caught engaging in criminal activity they should recieve a harsher punishment than civilians because they hurt the entire community and every single police officer who has to continue doing their job after the community's trust has been shattered. It doesn't matter if civilians are murdering 500 people to police officers 1. A police officer murdering even one person is unacceptable. I can't sit here and say oh well criminals murder and rape all the time and cops only do that once in a while so it shouldn't really be news.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back