IL - Lloyd Wickliffe, 35, slain in McDonalds robbery, Chicago, 11 Jan 1982

There was a TV show supposedly based in Indy that was only on for a couple of seasons - don't know why, I liked it. The last season, "Harm" from JAG was the DA. Anyone remember this? The bad guy on the show - defense attorney, knew his client was guilty. He found a way to let the star of the show, Asst DA, find the proof to convict the bad guy. She was able to convict him without revealing where the info secretly came from. I know - a TV show. We can only hope that perhaps this happens.

That's the show I remember. Thank you.

It was about a little girl and where her body was buried. The courts tried to make the attorney reveal the location of the body after the client died, and the attorney refused.

Attorneys get in trouble both ways - when they reveal and when they don't. Recently, a defense attorney revealed a murder confession after the client's death and was disbarred. (Can't remember more facts than this...)

Thank you, Ang50. It's coming back to me now. So the little girl is still missing? :(

I think I would almost risk being disbarred if I knew something like this.

Thank you, Ang50. It's coming back to me now. So the little girl is still missing? :(

I think I would almost risk being disbarred if I knew something like this.

Erica Nicole Baker.

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2004/03/04/loc_erica04.html

IMHO with her situation, the courts and attorneys are really testing the legal limits of the Ohio's specific laws.

The attorney seems to be waiting until she is specifically ordered to reveal information and waiting for that court order. The model rules (and Ohio's may differ) say that an attorney can break privilege if required by law or a court order.

Again, I think this is the right way to handle a situation like this. Once the process has been tested, it's not the attorney's decision. The courts and the state have decided that this very narrow circumstance is OK, and it would not apply in most other situations.

Also, wasn't there a big case similar to this a few years ago? I thought it involved a female lawyer that was struggling with an issue like this. I don't remember how it turned out. Does anyone remember something like that? It was on national news....

The Erica Baker case?

The child went missing, there were several suspects. LE began to believe that one of the suspects told their attorney where Erica was buried. The attorney refused to disclose the info based on attorney/client priveledge. After her client died she continued to refuse to disclose the info (there were rumors that her family had been threatened if she ever disclosed). I believe she did finally tell what she knew, that Erica was buried in a State Park, but she didn't or couldn't give details so Erica has never been found.

ETA: Looks like I remembered wrong. The info about the park was given by one of the suspects, not the attorney.

and THIS is why i could never be a defense attorney ... well part of why ...

and THIS is why i could never be a defense attorney ... well part of why ...

Look on the other side, though. What if you had been the defense atty for the innocent guy? You might have investigated more, made the DA prove the case, questioned why they didn't further test the gun, and kept this guy out of prison.

Defense attorneys can do their jobs b/c they believe in two sides to a story and not allowing government to roll over people. There are certain attys we never see in the news and that are not notorious b/c they just won't take cases for people like Scott Peterson or _______ (pick your child abuser/murderer.) I could never be a Mark Geragos.

I truly understand each and everyone's point of view, but what is eating at my heart regarding this case is what if it was one of OUR loved one's that was at the wrong place at the wrong time and it happend to one of OUR loved one's as I stated above. We have to face reality in this day in time as my dear attorney friend always told me America has one of the best legal systems in the world,but it's the corruption within that make's our legal system dirty it's all about who we know or how much money we have. JMO

Your wise friend is correct, however, be sure to also sweep LE under that corruption umbrella.

Al Pacino showed one way to resolve this dilemma in the movie: "And Justice For All".

These situations show the distinction between ethics and morals.

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2008Apr12/0,4670,The26YearSilence,00.html

I found this today. From the article:

On April 18, Logan will be in court as his lawyer, Harold Winston, pushes for a new trial. Along with the affidavit, Winston has accumulated new evidence, including an eyewitness who says Logan wasn't at McDonald's and a letter from an inmate who claims Wilson signed a statement while in prison implicating himself in the murder _ and clearing Logan

I hope Alton Logan finally gets justice.
And I thought it was all sorts of wrong for something like this to have been able to happen. I personally would not have ever been able to keep such a secret. I'd accept the consequences.

So they let an innocent man sit in prison all those years...
to protect their practice?????
Yes,Id rather let someone sit in prison for something they didnt do then violate client privelege and be dis-barred.
What scum.

Pretty sure he had a public defender. They are rightfully nick named public pretenders for a reason. Never met one yet that gave a true *advertiser censored* about any of their "clients". Cop a plea and off to jail that person goes and on to the next case.

This is a terrific point, Logger - therapists, teachers, daycare workers, medical workers, mediators (which I am currently studying to be certified in) are bound by a Georgia code (and I'm sure other states have a similar laws on the books) that states they must report if someone is a danger to themselves or others or a child may be in danger.

I did think of this when I was posting that I didn't agree with limited attorney confidentiality. I still don't agree with limited attorney confidentiality, but I'm not exactly sure hown to verbalize why, so I'll keep working on that. I usually don;t find myself at a loss for words regarding many subjects!! LOL!

I don't believe that applies if the person has murdered. At least not in most of the US. It is if he/she is a danger to himself or others. If the person kills someone, like say a spouse and tells the counselor, as long as the person is not planning to kill again, or kill themselves, the counselor does not have to report.

And clergy confidentiality only applies when confession is a tenant of the faith. Roman Catholics, yes. Methodists, for one example, no.

If this is different in GA then I would really like to see the statute if you could. I know that in pretty much all states many professions are mandatory reporters on child abuse. And the above does not apply. If someone confess to CA or says they are going to, or if someone suspects CA they have to report. But, with that said, in IL, clergy are not legally mandatory reporters of CA.

This thread takes on more meaning now...the new DP qualified lawyer in the Casey A. case was one of the lawyers that participated in the written affidavit declaring Alton Logan's innocence. In fact, Andrea L. (Casey's new attorney) wrote the affidavit and read it, she, along with three other attorney's, carried the secret of Alton's innocence during the 26 YEARS he was incarcerated. A link to this story is here...

http://www.chicagoreader.com/features/stories/hottype/080131/

This thread takes on more meaning now...the new DP qualified lawyer in the Casey A. case was one of the lawyers that participated in the written affidavit declaring Alton Logan's innocence. In fact, Andrea L. (Casey's new attorney) wrote the affidavit and read it, she, along with three other attorney's, carried the secret of Alton's innocence during the 26 YEARS he was incarcerated. A link to this story is here...

http://www.chicagoreader.com/features/stories/hottype/080131/

Please! Will someone more eloquent than I am ,please bring this to the attention of Judge Strickland.? Please I fear for many including Jesse Grund. This new attorney & the rest of the defense have NO
CONSCIENCE!

Please! Will someone more eloquent than I am ,please bring this to the attention of Judge Strickland.? Please I fear for many including Jesse Grund. This new attorney & the rest of the defense have NO
CONSCIENCE!

I, too, am fearful about the choice of AL as DP counsel because of the history of her role in the Alton Logan case, where the preservation of a
confession was sealed away in a metal box for two decades while an innocent man was allowed to serve a life sentence for a crime he didn't commit.

I didn't take the "JG suspect" comment in court yesterday that seriously. Now, I do feel that it was a preliminary announcement that JG is about to
be pushed into the defendant's chair while KC walks--and all the while JB grins with self-satisfaction. No pangs of conscience in this false conviction!

I really had high hopes for this new lawyer yesterday...so much can change in a matter of hours in this case. Now, I am worried. I know JB doesn't have integrity, he did hint at Jesse's possible involvement yesterday. LE never considered Jesse a suspect. Now, instead of getting a lawyer to reign the other's in, provide some order to this case, we have a woman that cares not that an innocent man sat in prison wrongfully convicted of murder for 26 YEARS ! Where was all of her interest in "social justice" then ? I am sorry for going on and on, but I am outraged over this.

From January 2013:

http://newamericamedia.org/2013/01/...llion-to-innocent-man-imprisoned-26-years.php

The City of Chicago on Tuesday agreed to pay $10.2 million to a wrongfully convicted man who spent 26 years prison for a murder he did not commit. He was convicted despite the fact that some attorneys familiar with the crime knew almost from the very beginning that he was innocent.

Cook County, IL, prosecutors convicted Alton Logan, 55, for the Jan. 11, 1982, murder of Lloyd Wickliffe, a security guard working at a McDonald's on Chicago's far South Side.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starrynight8974
Back