IL IL - Maria Ridulph, 7, Sycamore, 3 Dec 1957

Dennis, you did not write the entire story. Not anywhere close to that. You never interviewed the Tessier family members. You didn't interview Charles Ridulph, nor his surviving sister. You didn't interview a heck of a lot of people. If people want to read your book, they're welcome to do so, but they should know it isn't researched well, and that you neglected to gather enough information to warrant calling it "the entire story".

Thank you JTSparks for your comment on our book, and thanks to Webslueths for the opportunity to respond.
While I accept your comment stating, "you didn't not write the entire story" as your opinion, I reject it as a logical conclusion to the premise that we, "didn't interview a heck of a lot of people."
I recently read Professor Harvey Kaye's biography, "Thomas Paine and the Promise of America." Kaye, who is Professor Emeritus at the University of Wisconsin - Green Bay, never interviewed Paine, nor did he interview many of the people he quoted or cited. In fact, Wisconsin wasn't even a state during Paine's lifetime. And yet, his book is considered an excellent source of info on Mr. Paine.
While I agree with you that we didn't interview members of the Tessier or Ridulph families, that doesn't mean the print and visual media aren't full of information about them and this case. We also didn't interview the Illinois State Police.
The police cut off interviews about the case after granting Ann O'Neill of CNN their last interview back in 2013. But Ms. O'Neill was refused interviews by the Ridulph and Tessier family, claiming they had given Charles Lachman the exclusive rights to their stories. Coauthor Jeff Doty inquired about interviews and was told the same thing.
We would have loved to interviewed the Ridulph's and Tessier's, but like Professor Kaye, who had no other choice, we mined the media, which was and is rich with relevant info.
We did read Mr. Ridulph's book, which did provide a few bits of relevant info, which we used and cited in our book. We also read Jean Tessier's online memoir, which was rich in information about the Tessier family, and her views on the crime. We used, and cited, what we felt was relevant to the story.
And it is one helluva story!
We started research for our book, "A Convenient Man" in 2015 after McCullough lost his appeal. It looked to us as if he would spend the rest of his life in prison. The original intent of our book, then, was to wave a flag, putting forth the factual evidence proclaiming that an innocent was in prison. But in 2016 he was released, and in 2017 he was granted a Certificate of Innocence. We then had to change the purpose of our book, and settled on writing an expose' on how this injustice happened.
The book itself is 687 pages long, with 244 footnotes referencing where we got the info for each fact in the book. There are two appendices: The first showing the principal exhibits in the story, and Appendix B, which gives a detailed timeline of 12/3/57 starting at 3:30pm and going all the way to midnight. Appendix B starts on page 701 and goes till page 735. I'm very proud of these 35 pages because they can be used as a lens through which to view much of the testimony and courtroom arguments made at the trial and the appeal, and to see why they are wrong.
I'll make you an offer JTSparks: I will gift you a copy of the Kindle version of the book if you're willing to give it a read. If you want the paperback version, that's a bit more expensive, but I'll work with you on it.
Thanks,
Dennis

[URL='https://search.aol.com/aol/image;_ylt=A2KIbMothlVifQgAGFppCWVH;_ylu=Y29sbwNiZjEEcG9zAzIEdnRpZAMEc2VjA3Nj?q=Maria+Ridulph+photo&ei=UTF-8&fr=webmail-searchbox&th=112.7&tw=215.4&imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fcbsnews3.cbsistatic.com%2Fhub%2Fi%2Fr%2F2013%2F03%2F09%2Ffedce6cb-3a29-11e3-a4cb-047d7b15b92e%2Fthumbnail%2F1200x630%2F3f7d8e5229a498fed53b9e3fcf257ab1%2F48_0309_MariaRemembered.jpg&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbsnews.com%2Fvideo%2Fmaria-ridulph-remembered%2F&size=88KB&name=Maria+Ridulph+remembered+-+CBS+News&oid=16&h=630&w=1200&turl=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.pgPIhUV07rMlSvoqKtXWVAHaD4%26pid%3DApi%26rs%3D1%26c%3D1%26qlt%3D95%26w%3D215%26h%3D112&tt=Maria+Ridulph+remembered+-+CBS+News&sigr=9eG89BJoZ4iV&sigit=1rCyc3KF6BmH&sigi=24XWqagmimVM&sign=3itGS6o9wkaI&sigt=3itGS6o9wkaI&v_t=webmail-searchbox&s_it=img-ans'][URL='https://search.aol.com/aol/image;_ylt=A2KIbMothlVifQgAEVppCWVH;_ylu=Y29sbwNiZjEEcG9zAzIEdnRpZAMEc2VjA3Nj?q=Maria+Ridulph+photo&ei=UTF-8&fr=webmail-searchbox&th=90.9&tw=162.1&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcbsnews1.cbsistatic.com%2Fhub%2Fi%2F2013%2F03%2F08%2Fc1c89ffa-2015-11e3-9283-005056850598%2FRIDULPH.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbsnews.com%2Fnews%2Fmaria-ridulph-murder-will-the-nations-oldest-cold-case-to-go-to-trial-ever-get-solved%2F&size=221KB&name=Maria+Ridulph+murder%3A+Will+the+nation%27s+oldest+cold+case+...&oid=9&h=1080&w=1920&turl=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.iLkooj3klcbgV1GQpbouagHaEK%26pid%3DApi%26rs%3D1%26c%3D1%26qlt%3D95%26w%3D162%26h%3D90&tt=Maria+Ridulph+murder%3A+Will+the+nation%27s+oldest+cold+case+...&sigr=.H9bhf627FmC&sigit=WSI5MYWe8ILn&sigi=TYQgkGLmTcK0&sign=Pq_Y.rFBqal2&sigt=Pq_Y.rFBqal2&v_t=webmail-searchbox&s_it=img-ans'][/URL][/URL]
Maria Ridulph, 7 years old. Murdered 3 December 1957

I have a question, and I want someone to correct me if I’m wrong. Is it possible that John did give Maria a piggyback ride and the weird kid in the neighborhood whom he mentioned during his interrogation saw an opportunity to frame him?

I have a question, and I want someone to correct me if I’m wrong. Is it possible that John did give Maria a piggyback ride and the weird kid in the neighborhood whom he mentioned during his interrogation saw an opportunity to frame him?
The "weird kid" was likely Gerald Brooks, who lived close to the Davy family, on the corner of Archie Place and Fair St. He graduated from Sycamore High in 1955 and was not listed as living with his parents when the FBI made its neighborhood sweep in December 1957. A photo can be found of him in the June 3, 1966 Daily Chronicle. In another article in the Oct 24, 1958 Sycamore Tribune, p. 2, Brooks is described as serving in the Panama Canal zone. So it is likely that he joined the Army at some point after graduation and was far from Sycamore at the time of the kidnapping. Furthermore, John Tessier was exiting Illinois Central train #13 in Rockford at the time of the kidnapping, so he could not have been giving Maria a piggyback ride at the same time.

Would Kathy have recognized someone from their neighborhood right away? Plenty of people have neighbors that they are told to stay away from as kids. Sometimes parents aren’t always clear on why you need to avoid the person. Then there are kids that other kids avoid or bully because they lack social skills or because kids can be mean. The person that abducted Maria knew how to gain their trust and separate the girls. He was alone with each girl. Kathy supposedly declined walking around the block or and didn’t have any interest in going anywhere with him. It makes me think he did’t want a fight at least not in the open. It makes me think he did this before. You could be on to something. A neighbor could have saw a stranger offering little girls piggyback rides and recognized them as a pedo. Chased the guy off and lured a trusting girl into their home.

If this was a total stranger they had to have done this before. It’s sucks that there weren’t more witnesses. I don’t know what to think about the guy that was convicted and then released. There can also be multiple sex offenders in a neighborhood or in the general area at the same time, unfortunately. IDK what to think.

Maria was the pretty one, slight and graceful at 7 with big brown eyes that shined with warmth and intelligence. Everyone said the second-grader was special and Kathy, who was a year older, felt honored to be her friend.

They lived a few doors away from each other on a side street called Archie Place. It was their whole world in 1957, a time when children played hide-and-seek outside instead of watching television. People didn't lock their doors in this Midwestern farm town because everyone knew everybody else.

Sycamore and its 7,000 souls felt safe on the morning of December 3, 1957, but the feeling wouldn't last.

That first Tuesday in December started like any other for Maria Ridulph and Kathy Sigman, with a short walk across the street to West Elementary School. It was cold, with a promise of snow in the air. After school, they went to Maria's house to cut out paper snowflakes.

A few blocks away, a man in an overcoat spotted two other girls walking along State Street by the public library and tried to strike up a conversation. It was 4:15 p.m. The girls felt uneasy, so they ducked into a restaurant. When they emerged, the man was gone — but he'd left something disturbing behind. Scattered on the sidewalk were half a dozen photographs of nude women.

That wasn't Sycamore's only peculiar hint of the dirty and forbidden. Since Halloween, someone had been scrawling obscenities in chalk on a tree and stop sign at the intersection of Center Cross Street and Archie Place. Maria and Kathy made plans to play there after dinner. It was a favorite spot they hadn't been to since summer.

Advertisement

At 5 p.m. sharp, Kathy went home. Maria's family gathered around the table for her favorite supper: rabbit, carrots, potatoes and milk. She finished off two rabbit legs, but barely touched her vegetables. She pleaded to go back outside as the first flurries of the season started to swirl in the night sky.

Excited, she called Kathy on the phone: I can go outside tonight, can you?

Kathy lived in a white cottage at the end of a long driveway, and her family was the first on the block to own a clothes dryer. Her freshly laundered jeans still felt warm as she met Maria at mid-block and they raced in the dark to the massive elm tree on the corner. They were playing "duck the cars" — scurrying back and forth between the tree and a street pole, trying to avoid the headlights from oncoming cars — when a good-looking young man approached. He wore his blond hair swept back in a ducktail. Kathy remembers his narrow face, big teeth and high, thin voice. She'd never seen him before.

Hello, little girls, he said. Are you having fun?

He asked whether they wanted piggyback rides and gave his name as "Johnny." He told Kathy and Maria that he was 24 and wasn't married.

Do you like dollies?

The girls nodded.

mittens.jpg

A trial exhibit shows Kathy Sigman with the mittens she fetched from home; when she returned to the corner, Maria was gone

Maria was the pretty one, slight and graceful at 7 with big brown eyes that shined with warmth and intelligence. Everyone said the second-grader was special and Kathy, who was a year older, felt honored to be her friend.

They lived a few doors away from each other on a side street called Archie Place. It was their whole world in 1957, a time when children played hide-and-seek outside instead of watching television. People didn't lock their doors in this Midwestern farm town because everyone knew everybody else.

Sycamore and its 7,000 souls felt safe on the morning of December 3, 1957, but the feeling wouldn't last.

That first Tuesday in December started like any other for Maria Ridulph and Kathy Sigman, with a short walk across the street to West Elementary School. It was cold, with a promise of snow in the air. After school, they went to Maria's house to cut out paper snowflakes.

A few blocks away, a man in an overcoat spotted two other girls walking along State Street by the public library and tried to strike up a conversation. It was 4:15 p.m. The girls felt uneasy, so they ducked into a restaurant. When they emerged, the man was gone — but he'd left something disturbing behind. Scattered on the sidewalk were half a dozen photographs of nude women.

That wasn't Sycamore's only peculiar hint of the dirty and forbidden. Since Halloween, someone had been scrawling obscenities in chalk on a tree and stop sign at the intersection of Center Cross Street and Archie Place. Maria and Kathy made plans to play there after dinner. It was a favorite spot they hadn't been to since summer.

Advertisement

At 5 p.m. sharp, Kathy went home. Maria's family gathered around the table for her favorite supper: rabbit, carrots, potatoes and milk. She finished off two rabbit legs, but barely touched her vegetables. She pleaded to go back outside as the first flurries of the season started to swirl in the night sky.

Excited, she called Kathy on the phone: I can go outside tonight, can you?

Kathy lived in a white cottage at the end of a long driveway, and her family was the first on the block to own a clothes dryer. Her freshly laundered jeans still felt warm as she met Maria at mid-block and they raced in the dark to the massive elm tree on the corner. They were playing "duck the cars" — scurrying back and forth between the tree and a street pole, trying to avoid the headlights from oncoming cars — when a good-looking young man approached. He wore his blond hair swept back in a ducktail. Kathy remembers his narrow face, big teeth and high, thin voice. She'd never seen him before.

Hello, little girls, he said. Are you having fun?

He asked whether they wanted piggyback rides and gave his name as "Johnny." He told Kathy and Maria that he was 24 and wasn't married.

Do you like dollies?

The girls nodded.

mittens.jpg

A trial exhibit shows Kathy Sigman with the mittens she fetched from home; when she returned to the corner, Maria was gone
A CNN article that will truly forever live in infamy. It did not age well at all.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona
Back