GUILTY IL - Melissa Best, 37, Round Lake Park, 15 April 2011

That area is fairly flat. The housing areas are carved out of farmland and there aren't dangerous curves (there are barely any curves at all.) She was last seen (on video tape) driving through a mixed rural/suburban area at about 1:00 p.m. in Round Lake Park (where she lives and also where she dropped her daughter off.) Round Lake Park is barely a square mile large, if that. The crime rate in Round Lake Park is about 20% lower than the national average.

OK then.....that's actually good news which would appear to rule out a random crime or car accident on the way home, and might indicate she wasn't headed home in the first place. The problem now appears that she could be almost anywhere. MOO

I saw the husband being interviewed on the news last night and something just didn't seem right. Either he has something to do with her missing or he is confident she took off and is well. To me it didn't seem he had any concern in his voice.

I saw the husband being interviewed on the news last night and something just didn't seem right. Either he has something to do with her missing or he is confident she took off and is well. To me it didn't seem he had any concern in his voice.

I'm interested in seeing him also. Is there a link to that channel to watch online? :)

I just caught up on this case. its possible she saved money in cash form, if she needed to get away. I do not find it strange not having a cell phone. I barely use mine. And it cost me a few arms and a leg. I would like to see the husband earlier on, its been 8 days, don't get me wrong, there should be some sadness and so forth, but I wouldn't know how to act in that situation because I haven't been in it, but I think after a few days you might go numb from thinking. Where was she heading after she dropped the kid off at a friends?

The Round Lake Park machinist reported her missing to police on Saturday. A day earlier, surveillance video from a local business showed Melissa Best's minivan driving by and then returning a few minutes later after dropping off one of their two children at a friends house nearby. And then, she vanished.

~~snip~~

Her cell phone minutes expired days before she disappeared. And she's made no contact with her family, even though there's a holiday weekend approaching.

Hours before she vanished, police said it appeared to be business as usual for Melissa Best. She took her daughter with her to Wisconsin to shop at a market. They returned home, and she started unloading the groceries.

"She actually put things out to prepare their dinner their night," said Round Lake Park Police Chief George Filenko. "Then her daughter asked her to give her a ride to a friends house, and that's the last we see of her."

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/120414019.html#ixzz1KGEK2GGv

Her minutes had expired on her phone a few days earlier, according to this.
That might be kind of convenient, in a way, for someone who knew that, or she herself, to remain lost.

If the phone "ran out of minutes" it sounds like a pre-paid disposable phone rather than something on a plan, which is unfortunate as she had nothing to use to call for help as well as no tracking device for LE to follow. I am curious about the type of road she would've used to return home, and if, for example, it is elevated above a deep ravine, has sharp curves, etc which she may have gone off the road and her vehicle can't be seen. Another thought is - what type of neighborhood was she driving through leaving the friend's apartment? Any chance of a carjacking? MOO

All cell phones can call 911, even ones with no minutes, as I understand it. Round Lake Park isn't exactly paradise, but I drive through it once a week and don't feel concerned for my safety. There are several registered sex offenders there, but that's true of most towns. The police presence near those apartments and her neighborhood is pretty strong, as I see them waiting to get speeders at the Pizza Place all the time, or just across the street from it.

I think that his reaction is usually a good indication that he knows something. I am from that area, and I would definitely not say its a safe area, however during the day I would say it would be unlikely for something to happen. Rosewood Apartments are low income section 8, they are dangerous!

She was on video leaving the apartments, though, so unless someone else was driving her van, which the video should have captured, or someone followed her out of there, I don't think the apartments have any connection to her disappearance.

She was on video leaving the apartments, though, so unless someone else was driving her van, which the video should have captured, or someone followed her out of there, I don't think the apartments have any connection to her disappearance.

A Lot of people living @ Rosewood don't have cars. It's possible that someone asked her for a ride out of the apartments, and took her to a bad place and then who knows what happened. There are A LOT of drugs around there. I just hope she is found safe. It's very sad and strange.

A Lot of people living @ Rosewood don't have cars. It's possible that someone asked her for a ride out of the apartments, and took her to a bad place and then who knows what happened. There are A LOT of drugs around there. I just hope she is found safe. It's very sad and strange.

Possible, but I would think LE would know that based on the video from the Pizza Place. Not that they'd share that info if it compromised the investigation, but the fact the FBI is involved makes me believe they have no leads at all.

And where on earth is that van? Even if someone harmed her, the van should have turned up, unless it was pushed into water.

Has anyone found how they know that she didn't return home after she dropped her daughter off at the apartments? Was the husband at the house in the afternoon? We still can't find out if the son was home that evening either.

There is quite a bit missing here. It couldn't have been that "wonderful" of a marriage if she doesn't come home to make dinner, even after she has already left out ingredients for dinner or all night and the husband doesn't notice unless they had a huge fight and he is assuming she went somewhere to cool off.

Remember Sandra Meyer from Bend Oregon...her husband fell asleep and didn't report her missing until the next day.

All cell phones can call 911, even ones with no minutes, as I understand it. Round Lake Park isn't exactly paradise, but I drive through it once a week and don't feel concerned for my safety. There are several registered sex offenders there, but that's true of most towns. The police presence near those apartments and her neighborhood is pretty strong, as I see them waiting to get speeders at the Pizza Place all the time, or just across the street from it.

If the phone had no available minutes, I'm thinking perhaps she didn't even have it with her. The area you're describing sounds something like what I drive through to and from work, so that really doesn't help figure out what could've happened to her in broad daylight. I'm still not inclined to think she voluntarily took off unless she had cash stored somewhere, and then again, where is the mini-van? :waitasec:

Has anyone found how they know that she didn't return home after she dropped her daughter off at the apartments? Was the husband at the house in the afternoon? We still can't find out if the son was home that evening either.

There is quite a bit missing here. It couldn't have been that "wonderful" of a marriage if she doesn't come home to make dinner, even after she has already left out ingredients for dinner or all night and the husband doesn't notice unless they had a huge fight and he is assuming she went somewhere to cool off.

Remember Sandra Meyer from Bend Oregon...her husband fell asleep and didn't report her missing until the next day.

Interesting case. Though the husband was 72, and I feel was much more inclined to fall asleep than the strapping husband of Melissa Best (JMHO).

On March 10, John Meyer reported the disappearance of his wife, Sandra Meyer, at around 8 a.m. Sandra Meyer, 71, had reportedly left their home the night before to go to a book club meeting at a downtown Bend bar. She did not make it to the meeting, and her vehicle was located in the parking lot of the movie theater in the Old Mill District.

THEN,

A few days later the husband of a woman missing for the last week has been found dead of a gunshot wound at his home in Bend.

THEN,

The discovery of the body of a 72-year-old central Oregon woman in her backyard after she went missing for more than a month has shown investigators why past searches failed — the body was submerged in water in an underground utility box.

Police say they now believe John Meyer was responsible for his wife’s death.

I sure hope the outcome in this case is different!

Mel

http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation...rged-in-water-in-underground-utility-box.html

I think finding the vehicle will be an important clue as to what happened to her.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlowery
Back