GUILTY IL - Mya Lyons, 9, stabbed to death, Chicago, 15 July 2008

Respectfully snipped

. . . . .
I acknowledge your defense of Mr. Lyons and respect you for it. However, you should note that if discussion of this case, and I mean ALL elements of the case, will offend or hurt you, maybe you should not read here. On the other hand, your input would be welcome and any corrections you can make to misinformation that might be received is also welcome.

Salem

I am much too thick-skinned to be offended or hurt by anything you and the others have posted. Irritated by the irrationality of some of it - yes. But offended or hurt - never.

All but one poster on this thread so far appears to be from somewhere other than Chicago and therefore you all do not know how things work (or don't work in some cases) in Chicago. I was merely trying to enlighten you on some things in order to focus your perspectives more accurately as to how those factors relate to this case and explain Richard Lyons' behavior here. Since many of you have admitted that there appears to be no accurate published timeline for this case, others seem to have "made up" one and ran with it, and I believe it unfairly makes Richard Lyons look bad.

Maybe some of you are gun shy here because you were burned so badly on the Kevin Fox/Riley Fox case and didn't see LE's obvious missteps (to be kind) from the beginning on that one.

Also, Salem - please be careful when you tell me (or any other members for that matter) what they should or should not read. While it appears you were trying to state it in a non-directive way that wouldn't be offensive, you missed on that one. As far as I know, the Patriot Act notwithstanding, even in George W. Bush's America, we still have freedom of speech.

Arguing is a good way to keep people away from this thread. Both of you seem to have a lot to offer so I hope the threats will stop.

Out of respect for Mya.

JMO

Lizzybeth,

I agree with you. I would like to see justice for Mya and that is why I am here. I'm sure that is true for all the other posters as well.

You ought to turn them down and lower the estrogen dosage so that all of the misinformation you are collecting doesn't take on a life of its own.

Awww-did you have to say that?

I enjoyed your insightful post all the way up until that statement.

genecam,

If you go back and read my posts, I have speculated all of those things you said (no trauma center, poor track record for ambos) without any knowledge of Chicago. I have never said that I suspect the father, despite my raging hormones; just that the timeline will be critical. As I have repeatedly said, I don't know if the flaws in the timeline are from the family or poor journalism or a combination of both, but I do think that will be key to this case. Most of the posters on this thread have been saying the same all along.

There is absolutely no reason be sexist or insulting and assume that we poor hysterical women need you to come in here and clarify a case for us. So maybe get off your testosterone laden soapbox and help us figure out what happened to Mya or go for a jog and burn some off. But quit being a jerk.

My perspective is that you are correct in talking about poor response times on the South side.
As far as the new police chief leaving town if this case does not work out, I am not holding my breath. Business as usual in Chicago, as far as I can tell.
This is not Miami ( where I also lived) where there might be riots over a mishandled case ( see the Arthur McDuffie case in Miami, which led to many riots.)
So many unsolved cases/cases on hold that I follow on this board, in so many places....
and I do not see LE stepping down over any of them...
to cite a few, the Christopher Vaughn case in our neighboring Will county, the Petit murders in Cheshire CT ( talk about poor response time! And in a rich white community), the little girls in Oklahoma, the Brooke Bennett case in VT, the many murders committed by Gary M. Hilton in Fla, Ga, and NC....
I see no one stepping down over any of these cases, and do not expect to see that in the Mya Lyons case in Chicago ( nor the unsolved Lane Bryant murders also in Chicago)
Face it, folks, we are living in Gotham! I feel very discouraged. And, no, it is not hormones...just reality staring me in the face.

Arguing is a good way to keep people away from this thread. Both of you seem to have a lot to offer so I hope the threats will stop.

Out of respect for Mya.

JMO

And SewingDeb - you are right! No more from me, sorry for the disruption. Back to Mya!

Salem

Awww-did you have to say that?

I enjoyed your insightful post all the way up until that statement.

I just logged on and was going to edit out that part of it, but I see that someone (empowered to do that) already did.

I feel like I am invading a ladies tea party here, so I will leave you all and go to the pool and swim off some testosterone and probably make angelmom happy.

Of course, since a woman made that statement in her post, the mods probably won't think it's sexist and it won't be deleted.

Belseeta - welcome to websleuths! Thanks for the information. So you attend the same church as some of the family members?
Salem

I'm really new to this Church and it was my first time going to the Sunday School, and this lady had Mya's obituary and was showing it to people and said she was the cousin to Mya's mother, so of course I started asking her questions. I was hoping she would come this past Sunday but she didn't come. Maybe she'll come this Sunday. She seems to be real friendly so I will try to find out what I can.

Also, there has been no new information at all about the Mya case on TV here, and I could be wrong but I believe the holdup is the DNA results. On TV I heard something about they probably could have gotten them back sooner, but in this case they "didn't won't them rushed". Wouldn't that stand for any DNA? I wonder what they mean?

I just logged on and was going to edit out that part of it, but I see that someone (empowered to do that) already did.

I feel like I am invading a ladies tea party here, so I will leave you all and go to the pool and swim off some testosterone and probably make angelmom happy.

Of course, since a woman made that statement in her post, the mods probably won't think it's sexist and it won't be deleted.

Softly, softly genecam. You cannot tell simply by my handle or writing style what my gender is, in spite of what you think you know. Neither can I tell yours.

Enjoy your swim and we look forward to some more posts I am sure.

I did not receive permission to post the reporter's email response so I will just paraphrase.

In essence, he said it has been a difficult case for reporters also. There are several discrepancies and they are having a hard time clarifying because LE is being so tight-lipped. He did like the idea of doing a timeline, so maybe we will see something on that soon.

Salem

Belseeta - thanks for the reply. It is a tad frustrating that nothing new is being released.

Salem

Wow.

What would make me happy is if you had any additional insight into the case as someone who lived in the area. Is there anything else on the news that perhaps the national news isn't covering. Any other local color you can give us - like the detail about the history with 911 response time. I think that is essential to dad's mindset about putting Mya in the car instead of waiting on an ambo.

Also, read back carefully. The "sexist mods" didn't delete your post, although it was rude. Mine was intended to reflect back to you how it might sound so you could rethink it. Obviously it didn't work.

I hope you feel better after your swim. Maybe now you can add something constructive to the conversation instead of taking jabs at all the hens clucking around their tea party.

Again, maybe the stepmom is responsible for Mya's death.

Wow.

What would make me happy is if you had any additional insight into the case as someone who lived in the area. Is there anything else on the news that perhaps the national news isn't covering. Any other local color you can give us - like the detail about the history with 911 response time. I think that is essential to dad's mindset about putting Mya in the car instead of waiting on an ambo.

Also, read back carefully. The "sexist mods" didn't delete your post, although it was rude. Mine was intended to reflect back to you how it might sound so you could rethink it. Obviously it didn't work.

I hope you feel better after your swim. Maybe now you can add something constructive to the conversation instead of taking jabs at all the hens clucking around their tea party.

Who did delete that part of my post, then? I didn't, and the mods are the only ones empowered to do that.

My swim worked wonders. I am happier now. I will stop the sexist stuff if you will. You made your point.

To the poster who wrote about LE never stepping down - I agree wholeheartedly with you. They never do.

What I was pointing out was that this is Weis's first opportunity, in a high profile case, to show that he has really cleaned up the CPD's act, and that all of his changes are not just window dressing. He completely replaced his top staff - all of the deputy superintendents - and 21 of the 25 district commanders - with his own choices just two months after he took over.

I was speaking figuratively when I said if he blows this one he should leave town, as he will have the respect of neither the people of Chicago nor the rank and file members, and some of the commanders, of his own police force.

And I fear, as many of you posting on this thread do, that he appears to be treading in dangerous territory with the recent path his investigation has taken.

With regard to local reporting - the two Chicago dailies - the Sun-Times and the Tribune - are in serious financial cutback mode. The Sun-Times laid off about 50 or 75 newsroom employees several months ago. The Tribune has announced that it will lay off about 100 newsroom employees by the end of September. As many of you may know, the Tribune was acquired by real estate magnate Sam Zell and taken private in a highly leveraged deal last year. He has a $13.2 billion debt to pay off (yes billion with a b, not a typo). That's one of the reasons why he's got to sell the Cubs for at least $1 billion plus. The Tribune editor just resigned and was replaced by one of Zell's people, and I know this has impacted the quality of its reporting. The Sun-Times is still reeling under the looting of its parent company by Conrad Black and associates who are all in prison.

In the past, the Chicago media has been a lot better. I am sure the above events are why you are finding the reporting to be challenging in this case.

I'll be back - in a civilized manner - if I find out anything else.

genecam, it was I who posted about LE never stepping down.
One of the big lies : I'm from the government, and I'm here to help you"

The problems you mentioned with the Trib, Sun Times? Same in every major city, including the New York Times. Print media is in big, big trouble. I honestly had not thought of that reason as to why so many of these cases seem to be ignored, but I think you are correct.

Again, maybe the stepmom is responsible for Mya's death.

Ya know Rhett, my father remarried very soon after my mother died. I used to call the woman my wicked stepmother. However, she was really just my father's wife (whom he and I had known for many years) as I was an adult, married with kids of my own, and not a minor living in the house with her. But she was wicked and I always called her my wicked stepmother. I don't know if you are serious or not. But my own personal experience causes me to lend some degree of credence to your statement that it is possible, and I can't just dismiss it out of hand.

YIKES. Well that explains the quality of journalism we are seeing, and makes me lean more towards poor reporting than the family not being able to get the timeline straight. If you have to fire anyone making a decent salary then the product goes down hill.

Has there been a recent press conference where LE laid out what they have as far as a timeline, asking for witnesses to come forward, or anything like that?

It is just amazing to me the sheer lack of information in this case, especially compared to, say, the volume in Caylee Anthony's case. I know in Caylee's case they are hoping against hope to find someone who knows where she is, but still. You'd think LE would be begging for a witness who saw somone out of place in Mya's neighborhood that night.

YIKES. Well that explains the quality of journalism we are seeing, and makes me lean more towards poor reporting than the family not being able to get the timeline straight. If you have to fire anyone making a decent salary then the product goes down hill.

Has there been a recent press conference where LE laid out what they have as far as a timeline, asking for witnesses to come forward, or anything like that?

It is just amazing to me the sheer lack of information in this case, especially compared to, say, the volume in Caylee Anthony's case. I know in Caylee's case they are hoping against hope to find someone who knows where she is, but still. You'd think LE would be begging for a witness who saw somone out of place in Mya's neighborhood that night.

Nope. No press conferences. Only Monique Bond, the CPD press secretary saying her usual "We do not comment on ongoing investigations." I suppose she's only doing her job, but she always sounds like such a self-righteous little twit, and she might as well have a recording for that statement given all the times she has uttered it.

Sooo frustrating. It appears there is NOTHING since 7/27.

What is going on? Are they going to just let this fade away? Why isn't there serious pressure being put on the media and LE to solve this?

Are they waiting on forensics?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zerofoxgiven
Back