IL - Roger Holyfield, 17, dies after tazing by Jerseyville police, 28 Oct 2006

GlitchWizard said:
I once called the police on a boyfriend who punched my windshield and was suicidal. I wanted the police to take him away to a place where he'd be safe, like a mental hospital. Instead, they battered him around a bit first.

I was SO UPSET (and naieve) at the time.

Years later, I met a correctional officer who put it into perspective. He said "You are called on a case where a verbally abusive person just punched out a windshield. He reeks of alcohol and there is a chance he is unable to feel pain (which makes him "stronger" and more dangerous because his muscles don't tell him to stop what he is doing due to pain.) Your job is to put him in the car and not let him hurt you in the process. It's not like you can reason with him and say "Please sit in that car over there.""
That "can't feel pain" and all the adrenaline is why size doesn't matter. When someone is amped up on adrenaline or drugs or whatever, they can be much more dangerous than their size suggests.

It'd always be nice if there were an easy way. But so far - we don't have one. Tranquilizer darts sound good - but only if they hit, the person involved isn't allergic or taking medicine or drugs that will conflict with the tranquilizer, etc. The tazer is the safest so far.

spclk said:
Look, I hear you all loud and clear and agree that in most cases it is justified. However, according to a local newspaper:

"The teen stood about 5 feet 7 inches tall and weighed about 150 pounds, compared to the officers, who were at least 5 feet 9 inches tall and weighed 180 pounds or more, according to a department news release. Wagner called for back-up, and Officer Matt Witt responded. "

He also had been handcuffed before they tazered him the first time, much less the second time. How much of a danger could he have been while handcuffed and only 150 pounds with NO weapon???

I can't help but feel sorry for this kid and his family. He wasn't dealing drugs, or stealing or attacking anyone......where was his crime? He was just standing on the street corner shouting. If it were my child I would want to know the full details of why this happened and I stand by my opinion!
Size has nothing to to with it. As I stated in a previous post my sister the cop is 5'3", about 110#, yet she has had lawsuits filed against her for "police brutality" from men who are 6' tall and more, weighing 200#. Even though this kid was handcuffed he may have been tazered to prevent him from hurting himself. You don't need to be handcuffed to be "subdued". Head butts and kicks are dangerous also. Agreed shouting on a streetcorner is not criminal, it's not normal either. I just don't see where LE should be blamed for his death.

spclk said:
Look, I hear you all loud and clear and agree that in most cases it is justified. However, according to a local newspaper:

"The teen stood about 5 feet 7 inches tall and weighed about 150 pounds, compared to the officers, who were at least 5 feet 9 inches tall and weighed 180 pounds or more, according to a department news release. Wagner called for back-up, and Officer Matt Witt responded. "

He also had been handcuffed before they tazered him the first time, much less the second time. How much of a danger could he have been while handcuffed and only 150 pounds with NO weapon???

I can't help but feel sorry for this kid and his family. He wasn't dealing drugs, or stealing or attacking anyone......where was his crime? He was just standing on the street corner shouting. If it were my child I would want to know the full details of why this happened and I stand by my opinion!
He wasn't tazer'd for standing on a street corner shouting - he was tazer'd for his reaction to police coming to talk to him about standing on the street corner shouting - and what he was shouting sounds a lot like he was suicidal, could have been homicidal - how often do you read reports of a nutjob going on a rampage, and starting out by shouting things like that? Doesn't make this guy a nutjob, but does mean that the police should not just ignore him, not talk to him to see what's up. They had to go talk to him. From there, it was his responses that got him tazer'd.

It jsut reminds me a lot of so many other cases - it's always, "He was just shouting, and they tazer'd him!" - the one I was most recently involved in discussing was a guy pulled over for DUI, who got shot. "He was just pulled over for DUI - that shouldn't be a lethal offense!" "He wasn't armed, was a nice guy, volunteered at church." "His BAC wasn't even up to the illegal range!"

But the reality... He was a nice guy - with a problem with police - and a suspended license for past DUI - who'd been out drinking and smoking marijuana (the combo does make him DUI) - who then chose to drive - who knew he'd lose his car over this one. He got pulled over for DUI - then got abusive and bellergient with the officers - then refused to get out of the car - then physically fought with them when they tried to remove him from the car - then fought to reach into the back seat, to something tucked in to a pocket - then pulled a nice black handgun... that was fake... out - and they killed him. It's nuts, to fight police with their guns drawn, to reach into your back seat (while still struggling with them) to pull a fake gun - you have to know what they'll have to do - but still, the line the family and friends and many sympathetic people on this other forum give is, "He was just pulled over for DUI, and they killed him!"

Yep, we've got to find out what happened, and if it was justified (weight, height, and being handcuffed don't mean it wasn't justified) - but still, he wasn't tazer'd for just shouting.

Apparently Holyfield weighed just 130 pounds rather than 150.

Autopsy didn't reveal any overt trauma that killed the 17-year-old, and so far nothing to explain police claims that Holyfield resisted with violence.

Hopefully pathology reports will explain and answer some of the many questions to this case.

It definitely needs a fair investigation, including whether taser shocks are much more dangerous than their manufactorer acknowledges.

There are 2 sides to every story, and I do believe truth prevails. My sister has been on the force 21 years, and from day one she always said she'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. The police have every right to defend thier life when doing their job and they can't afford to let their guard down. JMO.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2003334041_stungun01.html
After a preliminary autopsy Tuesday, deputy chief medical examiner Dr. Phillip Burch told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch the teen might have died of "excited delirium" and "he could have dropped dead without being Tased." He said he didn't see overt signs of injury or foul play.
Excited delirium can be brought on by mental illness or drugs, Burch said. Complete results will not be available for at least six weeks, when toxicology tests are returned.

details... reminds me of that movie 'crash'. the young black kid reaches in his pocket for something while the young policement is screaming
"PUT YOUR HANDS WHERE I CAN SEE THEM!" and he is ignoring him. (what about the english language don't you understand??) then the cop panics and shoots him. sometimes i think these guys WANT to get shot by the cops, it's almost like they have a martyr mentality that is so deep they are willing to lose their life over it. if a cop says put your hands in the air, then god dammit,, DO IT!!! don't reach in your pocket for something, then wonder why you get shot!!
and NO people who do this are not 'innocent victims of police brutality'.

reb said:
details... reminds me of that movie 'crash'. the young black kid reaches in his pocket for something while the young policement is screaming
"PUT YOUR HANDS WHERE I CAN SEE THEM!" and he is ignoring him. (what about the english language don't you understand??) then the cop panics and shoots him. sometimes i think these guys WANT to get shot by the cops, it's almost like they have a martyr mentality that is so deep they are willing to lose their life over it. if a cop says put your hands in the air, then god dammit,, DO IT!!! don't reach in your pocket for something, then wonder why you get shot!!
and NO people who do this are not 'innocent victims of police brutality'.
Yeah, it's some dumb macho thing, I think, or massive problems with any authority - really dumb - darwin award dumb.

I see it on Cops a lot too - there's 3 cops, they all have guns, batons, mace, maybe a stun gun, and there's this guy, and he's mad, and they don't want to arrest him, just to ask him to calm down (usually a domestic situation) - and he keeps physically challenging them, posturing, and finally crosses the line - they proceed to tell him he's going to be arrested - and he fights them! What a complete and utter moron? It's 3 on one, dummy, first off; they have batons and such, and you have nothing; and if you get anywhere close to being an actual threat, you will be killed by one of their guns! They'll handcuff him, and he still wants to fight! How stupid can you be?

mmmmmm.... stupid enough to deserve to die?? lol

reb said:
mmmmmm.... stupid enough to deserve to die?? lol
Honestly..... :angel:

I see them doing their stupid posing, showing off their muscles, and thinking this all means something, they're nobly resisting 'the man' - as these cops are just doing their jobs and trying to check on a domestic situation (almost always) or some drug related complaint - and I do think society could do very well without them.

I'm glad the cops do what they can to avoid it getting violent - they often start with a nice spray of mace, and other methods to try to knock the fight out of the guy (or, in a few rarer cases, the girl), and end it without anyone getting hurt. After all, being an idiot shouldn't be a (state imposed at least) terminal offense. But still, mother nature imposes her death penalty much easier, and these types will find someone to kill them if possible - if not the cops, it'll be some drug dealer they try to intimidate, or a beaten up wife that finds a gun, etc.

Now, just a note - I'm not describing our teenager here - just idiots resisting arrest that I've seen a lot. This kid - not enough info to know what he was like during the confrontation (doesn't matter if he was the best guy in the world, matters what he was like during that time, to find if he deserved to be tazer'd).

..."suicide by cop"....where the intent of the "crazed" person is to get fatally shot by the police officers...

I'm confused. The article first states he was tasered, then states they used a stun gun on him, then states it was a taser.....

Which one was it? A stun gun or a taser gun? They are two totally different things....

I had no idea that a stun gun and a taser are two differnt things.

Also, if the cops had to "calm" this person down, I would think that he could be and may be a "danger" to other people. Even if he "only harassed" people walking by, or on the transit, he can turn violent at any minute. People were probably concerned that he may be armed, he may be violent.

He did not heed the the cops, they acted in their own best interest and did their job as in "to serve" and protect.

A man who had a a history of mental illness. He was causing a "disturbance" and was off his med, he was kicked out of a 7-11 and was in the parking lot.

Well the Police tried to talk to him also, they decided to take him in "for his own protection" because of his mental health condition. Well when they approached him and tried to "get handcuffs on him", he "assaulted the Police Officer, well they had to "subdue" him and defend themselves.

So they used batons, unfortunately this man's health was not 100% and a fat particle was loosened and travelled to his lung or heart and he died.

Well the cops could not believe it, but "the public" demanded(read the people who thinks cops kill people) and the cops were obviously acquited.

The inquest is on now, one of the cops testified that "he could not believe" that he was put on trial for manslaughter. He and his partner were defending themselves, as this man was attempting to reach their guns and "may have killed" them, seriously injured them or harmed other people.

So again, unfortunately, when people have drug problems, mental health problems there is not "safe" answer when they do not obey the cops.

CyberLaw said:
I had no idea that a stun gun and a taser are two differnt things.
I think a taser is particular brand of stun gun that allows you to fire the electrodes over a distance (attached by wires). But I think this model of taser must also have had the standard stun gun electrodes for close-range use (dual-purpose taser).

SadieMae said:
Size has nothing to to with it. As I stated in a previous post my sister the cop is 5'3", about 110#, yet she has had lawsuits filed against her for "police brutality" from men who are 6' tall and more, weighing 200#. Even though this kid was handcuffed he may have been tazered to prevent him from hurting himself. You don't need to be handcuffed to be "subdued". Head butts and kicks are dangerous also. Agreed shouting on a streetcorner is not criminal, it's not normal either. I just don't see where LE should be blamed for his death.
You gotta be kidding! He's 130 pounds and handcuffed, and if the LE can't deal with that without killing him, they need to find another job and the town needs a new chief. We know tasers work with high voltage current, and as many have pointed out, agitation, with or without further chemical stimulation can make one much more susceptible to heart rhythm disturbances. LE knew, or should have known, this and they tasered him anyway. These guys didn't have Mace, or even a blanket?
Use of the taser is incredibly poor judgment which cost a life. LE discharged the weapon, and they have responsibility for the consequences of the act. If some of you think not obeying LE about shouting justifies potentially lethal force, we live in different countries, and you may be in a banana republic. As to those quoted in papers making asinine claims that he would have died anyway without the taser, remedial statistics and probabilities are in order.

I know well several LE officers and they are thoughtful and concerned; the taser-happy LE are exactly why people "hate cops", and make it incredibly hard for the good LE to get a fair shake.
Flame away!

crypto6 said:
You gotta be kidding! He's 130 pounds and handcuffed, and if the LE can't deal with that without killing him, they need to find another job and the town needs a new chief. We know tasers work with high voltage current, and as many have pointed out, agitation, with or without further chemical stimulation can make one much more susceptible to heart rhythm disturbances. LE knew, or should have known, this and they tasered him anyway. These guys didn't have Mace, or even a blanket?
Use of the taser is incredibly poor judgment which cost a life. LE discharged the weapon, and they have responsibility for the consequences of the act. If some of you think not obeying LE about shouting justifies potentially lethal force, we live in different countries, and you may be in a banana republic. As to those quoted in papers making asinine claims that he would have died anyway without the taser, remedial statistics and probabilities are in order.

I know well several LE officers and they are thoughtful and concerned; the taser-happy LE are exactly why people "hate cops", and make it incredibly hard for the good LE to get a fair shake.
Flame away!
OK. First - I will go for it - it's disgusting to accuse them of killing him, as if they did it deliberately. And a tazer is as much 'potentially leathal force' as a peanut butter sandwich is. Sure, either can kill a suceptible someone, but that doesn't make them a lethal weapon.

From what the ME said, the tazer might have been the best shot at saving him, by forcibly calming him down - but too late. In any case, LE didn't have any reason to believe the tazer would kill the kid. Oh - BTW - mace has a similar record of some suspicious deaths that may or have been caused by mace, and pepper spray is apparently a bit worse. Heck, a blanket used while trying to control a struggling suspect might smother him, and I'm sure you know about the people killed by the standard bare hands police chokehold. If you take remedial statistics, you'll find out that the odds of the police running into criminals with pretty well any disease or hereditary or undiagnosed weakness is a virtual 100%. And if this poor sap is unlucky enough to have a weak heart or other ticking time bomb, and that coincides with him going a little nuts with the police - the poor officer has to deal with stupid headlines about police killing a teen for shouting for Jesus, and a stupid investigation because of bad luck.

Yeah - poor judgement - they should just let him go, give up on law enforcement, let the public take their chances. The police should be as scared (for a different reason) as the rest of us of talking with the local shouting nutjob. After all, he might have a weak heart, or a brain anyurism about to burst if they so much as touch him, or an allergy to mace, or an allergy to the cat fur on their blankie. It's all the police's fault, not the poor, poor idiot who chooses to start the fight.

LE are generally thoughtful and concerned - and I'm sure these police were no execption. But it's hard for any of them to get a fair shake when any outcome people can second-guess makes people call them bad cops. I bet your LE officers you know have the same types of claims against them, that they 'should have left our Johnny alone, he wasn't hurting anyone!'

My cousin is going through this now in Atlanta.
My cousin, a former Atlanta police officer was indicted for murder. His name is Ray Bunn. In July 2002, Ray and his
partner were patrolling the Buckhead bar district area of Atlanta. It was about 3:00am when they heard the sound of breaking glass and a car alarm go
off -- and saw a man jump out of the shattered passenger window of nearby car.

Ray and his partner began shouting over and over: Police! Stop! Police! Stop! But the man ignored them and jumped into the back seat of a nearby
Chevy Tahoe SUV. Both Ray and his partner drew their weapons and slowly advanced towards the SUV. Suddenly the driver of the SUV, a man named
Corey Ward, punched the gas pedal and started driving straight at Ray. Ray was trapped between the right front of his cruiser and the oncoming car.
With the SUV just a few feet away from him, Ray had no choice. He fired off two shots from his service revolver and tried to jump out of the way. But
he didn't make it. The SUV struck his knee. Corey Ward, the driver of the SUV, died at the scene from the gunshot wound to his head. Ray was
devastated -- it was the first time in his police career that he had ever been forced to kill a man. But he knows that he did the right thing.
Police are trained to use force if they feel their lives are in danger.
Which Ray's life clearly was. But anti-police acti
vists in Atlanta didn't agree.You see, Corey Ward was a young black man.
Radicals in the black community accused Ray of being a rogue, racist cop.
Then without warning, the Fulton County District Attorney announced that he was indicting Ray for the murder of Corey Ward.
> > >
That's right -- three and a half years after Ray was nearly killed by Corey Ward's SUV, and after a year long tour in Iraq, the DA finally bowed to
pressure from local activists and indicted Ray. Ray didn't serve his country once or twice, but five times he was in Iraq protecting all who live in the United States.
> > >
If Ray was an African American cop would this still happen? If Corey was a caucasion man, would this still happen? My bet is NO. Why is this all
about race? What the DA did not put out was that cocaine was found in Corey's vehicle as well as bags of marijuana and a big knife not to
mention stealing a car. What's wrong is wrong. Corey made that choice to be involved with drugs, carrying a weapon, stealing a car, and tryinng to
run down Ray. Ray made the choice to protect himself. Ray is a wonderful husband and father to his five children. When his fifth child was born,
the DA wouldn't let him go to the hospital to be with his wife. Seven years Ray protected the streets of Atlanta, served and continues to serve
his country and this is how Atlanta thanks him? How is this murder?

He is man who protects the streets. Who's to say if Ray and his partner wasn't there? Would more be dead? Car accident, drugs involved, someone
being stabbed... Ray prevented that from happening. I am proud to have him in my family. It took three years for the Fulton County D.A. to decide to indict Ray. It shows you just how powerful the local radicals really
are that the D.A. caved in to their political pressure.
If what Ray did was murder then sooner or later every decent police officer in this country will be put behind bars.

Details said:
OK. First - I will go for it - it's disgusting to accuse them of killing him, as if they did it deliberately. And a tazer is as much 'potentially leathal force' as a peanut butter sandwich is. Sure, either can kill a suceptible someone, but that doesn't make them a lethal weapon.

From what the ME said, the tazer might have been the best shot at saving him, by forcibly calming him down - but too late. In any case, LE didn't have any reason to believe the tazer would kill the kid. Oh - BTW - mace has a similar record of some suspicious deaths that may or have been caused by mace, and pepper spray is apparently a bit worse. Heck, a blanket used while trying to control a struggling suspect might smother him, and I'm sure you know about the people killed by the standard bare hands police chokehold. If you take remedial statistics, you'll find out that the odds of the police running into criminals with pretty well any disease or hereditary or undiagnosed weakness is a virtual 100%. And if this poor sap is unlucky enough to have a weak heart or other ticking time bomb, and that coincides with him going a little nuts with the police - the poor officer has to deal with stupid headlines about police killing a teen for shouting for Jesus, and a stupid investigation because of bad luck.

Yeah - poor judgement - they should just let him go, give up on law enforcement, let the public take their chances. The police should be as scared (for a different reason) as the rest of us of talking with the local shouting nutjob. After all, he might have a weak heart, or a brain anyurism about to burst if they so much as touch him, or an allergy to mace, or an allergy to the cat fur on their blankie. It's all the police's fault, not the poor, poor idiot who chooses to start the fight.

LE are generally thoughtful and concerned - and I'm sure these police were no execption. But it's hard for any of them to get a fair shake when any outcome people can second-guess makes people call them bad cops. I bet your LE officers you know have the same types of claims against them, that they 'should have left our Johnny alone, he wasn't hurting anyone!'

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Crypto6 you said what I am feeling much better than I could myself!

crypto6 said:

Flame away!

Iviola, I agree that it sounds as if your cousin did all the right things in this case and I pray that he will be found innocent of all charges. I hope that no one thinks I am bashing cops for defending themselves when their lives are in danger, because that is simply not the case. But, there are countless cases of cops that get a little too carried away and use brutality against citizens when they should not. Every case should be investigated on its own merits and I personally feel that the force used against this boy was excessive. Unfortunately, this boy will never be able to receive the help he obviously needed and that is a true shame for him and his family.

Details said:
OK. And a tazer is as much 'potentially leathal force' as a peanut butter sandwich is. Sure, either can kill a suceptible someone, but that doesn't make them a lethal weapon.

From what the ME said, the tazer might have been the best shot at saving him, by forcibly calming him down - but too late.

If you take remedial statistics, you'll find out that the odds of the police running into criminals with pretty well any disease or hereditary or undiagnosed weakness is a virtual 100%.

And a tazer is as much 'potentially leathal force' as a peanut butter sandwich is. Sure, either can kill a suceptible someone, but that doesn't make them a lethal weapon

I think we've been snookered by the taser manufacturer; these things aren't safe, and I won't venture into what you do with peanut butter sandwiches that makes them so dangerous. See these statistics:

1: Prehosp Emerg Care. 2006 Oct-Dec;10(4):447-50.

Taser use in restraint-related deaths.Strote J, Range Hutson H.
Division of Emergency Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle, WA.

Objective. The Taser is an electric weapon capable of releasing significant amounts of electricity in rapid pulses, causing uncontrollable muscle contraction. Use of this weapon has dramatically increased over the past decade, and it is now commonly used by law enforcement officers nationwide. Emergency medical services providers are, likewise, seeing more patients who have recently been subjected to application of a Taser. We examined the autopsy reports of patients who died after application of a Taser in an attempt to identify high-risk interactions. Methods. This is a case series of Taser-related deaths. Fatalities occurring over four years beginning in January 2001 were identified through an Internet search, and autopsy reports were requested. Reports were analyzed for patient demographics, preexisting cardiac disease, toxicology, evidence of excited delirium, restraint techniques used, and listed cause of death. Results. Of 75 cases identified, 37 (49.3%) had autopsy reports available for review. All cases involved men, with ages ranging from 18 to 50 years. Cardiovascular disease was found in 54.1%. Illegal substance use was found on toxicology screening for 78.4%; within that group, 86.2% were found to have been using stimulants. A diagnosis of excited delirium was given for 75.7% of the cases. Use of a Taser was considered a potential or contributory cause of death in 27%. Conclusions. This is the largest review of Taser-related fatalities reported in the medical literature. The findings are consistent with prior studies, suggesting a high frequency of restraint-related and excited delirium-related fatalities. Key words: emergency medical services; restraint; physical; fatal outcome; law enforcement.

PMID: 16997772 [PubMed - in process][/I]

From what the ME said, the tazer might have been the best shot at saving him, by forcibly calming him down - but too late.

See the above, and any standard cardiac or neurology text. This is asinine from a medical viewpoint, unless calming is a euphemism for a dirt nap.

If you take remedial statistics, you'll find out that the odds of the police running into criminals with pretty well any disease or hereditary or undiagnosed weakness is a virtual 100%.

Huh?? My med stats courses weren't remedial, so help me here: Are you saying that virtually everyone is diseased, or that through his/her career any LE will encounter some disease relevant to this discussion (cardiac dysrhythmias, tachycardic syndromes, cardiac myopathy, etc)???

You handcuff somebody and you are in charge of their safety. One can't be held responsible for unknown outcomes, but is responsible for known consequences, and this case illustrates one.

BTW, thanks for the reply; it gave me a chance to research tasers. I look forward to any replies. I understand your stance and agree: To hold LE responsible for dirtbags' outcomes, one must overcome basically all obstacles except gross negligence or malicious intent. I think the former is relevant here.

Submitted for your viewing pleasure,
Crypto6

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northgrund