IL IL - Tammy Zywicki, 21, La Salle, 23 Aug 1992

Feb 10, 2023 rbbm
1676603351729.png
''MOUNT VERNON, Mo. — It’s been 30 years since the body of Tammy J. Zywicki, an Iowa college student, was discovered on the side of a rural section of Interstate 44 in Southwest Missouri.

To this date, the kidnapping and murder of Zywicki, remains unsolved. But today (2/10) the Sheriff of Lawrence County spoke about the cold case, saying that authorities haven’t given up on finding a suspect, or information that would lead to an arrest. Anything that would would give Zwicki’s family some closure.''

''Over the last 30 years, there have been no official suspects or any arrests made in the case. However, the FBI says two leads have persisted. First, multiple people have reported seeing a tractor-trailer on the side of the road with Tammy. The truck had two brownish-orange stripes on both the tractor and the trailer. Second, the man with the truck was approximately 6 feet tall with dark, bushy hair and estimated to be between 30-45 years old. It was also discovered that Tammy’s Canon 35mm camera and a musical wristwatch with an umbrella on its face, were missing from her car.''

“If we get any any inclination that there may be another piece of evidence, or a clue, or anything that we can use, we certainly follow that as far as we can. What helps to bring out information that could solve this case is keeping the story alive by talking about it, holding vigils for the victim during an important anniversary dates and keeping it in the news,” Sheriff Daley stated.

A series of recently published podcasts did just that. The newly released, third season of “Paper Ghosts,” a true crime podcast on iHeart Radio, features three episodes, titled, “In Plain Sight.” The episodes are hosted by investigative journalist and New York Times bestselling true crime author, M. William Phelps, who digs deep into the murder of Tammy Jo Zywicki.''

I've been interested in this case because I live in central IL not far from LaSalle County. One interesting thing I think is that it's been stated (see above article) that based on witness statements, at least 26 cars appeared to stop and offer help. Tammy obviously turned them down as none ended up driving her anywhere. She was probably cognizant of getting into a stranger's car. Maybe she planned to see if she could fix it herself (60 people stated they saw her looking under the hood) and/or walk to help. Which makes me think she didn't go willingly with the murderer if she turned down help from several other people.

It is a busy highway with lots of people driving by that time of day and lots of people seeing her and the tractor-trailer but no one that we know of has stated they saw a struggle or anything like that. It's possible he somehow got her around on the side of his truck and then forced her inside such that the truck hid his actions from those driving by.

I'm going through listening to the podcast episodes on this case from Paper Ghosts. Have listened to the first one so far. Maybe not new information for everyone but some things I took note of:

-Her brother had told her that if the car started acting up again, just wait until evening when it cooled down and then keep going. Since this was mid- to late-afternoon, this may be exactly what Tammy was doing. Just waiting for temps to cool down to keep going.

-This could also explain why she didn't walk to get help. Additionally, I was always of the impression she broke down right near an exit ramp. But in this episode, it's mentioned she is 2-3 miles away from the nearest gas station/pay phone. While in the grand scheme of things, this isn't that far of a walk, it was hot that day (according to this podcast) and also the shoulder is narrow and cars are whizzing by at high speeds. I can see why she didn't want to walk in those conditions.

-Her mom, interviewed extensively in this episode, said Tammy was very cautious and not overly trusting of people. While we can never say with 100% certainty how someone would react, all signs point towards her being very circumspect about not hopping into someone's car that she didn't know. I personally don't believe she got in the suspect's car willingly to go for help, but that she was forced in. MOO

It looks like there has been a person of interest who is a local cop. Would love to know more deets on this. Once you finish the season of Paper Ghosts, I’d love to get your thoughts.
That podcast made a lot of good arguments to support this theory, not the least of which is her family’s continued insistence from the beginning that she was not naive, was extremely cautious, and would have never left with a truck driver or a stranger.
Most anyone would consider a cop offering help in that situation a godsend.

That podcast made a lot of good arguments to support this theory, not the least of which is her family’s continued insistence from the beginning that she was not naive, was extremely cautious, and would have never left with a truck driver or a stranger.
Most anyone would consider a cop offering help in that situation a godsend.
I agree. I hope we find out more about who this cop is. Seems like he’s been on the radar for a long time but they’ve never had enough to convict?

Does anyone out there in Websleuth Land know anything about who this cop might be? State or local?

I don’t know why but this one is driving me bananas. I spent a while trying to dig up any dirt of cops around that era to no avail.

Tammy Zywicki, who was a student at Grinnell College in Iowa, disappeared Aug. 23, 1992, after her vehicle broke down on Interstate 80 near LaSalle, Ill. Her body was found nine days later.

Tammy Zywicki, age 21, Abducted and murdered 23 August 1992

Tammy Zywicki was last seen driving her 1985 Pontiac T1000 from Evanston, Illinois to Grinnell, Iowa on 23 August 1992. Her car was found abandoned the the next day in Central Illinois, but her body was found on 1 September 1992 in rural Lawrence County, Missouri.

Tammy's 1985 Pontiac T1000

Here is a 1985 video featuring the Pontiac T1000:

TAYLORS, S.C. (FOX Carolina) - An Upstate soccer team is honoring a young woman, whose life was tragically cut short more than three decades ago.

On Monday night, the Eastside High School girls soccer team hosted the Tammy Zywicki Memorial Soccer Game. The game is a way to honor her life, while reminding the community of the unsolved crime that took her life.

Tammy’s brother, Dean Zywicki, expressed his gratitude, stating, “It means a lot to our family that the high school does this and people remember her.”

The Eastside girls soccer team took to the field wearing armbands stitched with Tammy’s name and the class of ‘89, paying tribute to the former player………

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linnymac68$
Back