IL/TX/OR+ - ROBERT BEN RHOADES, "The Truck Stop Killer", 1970's-90's

I need to refresh my mind on WCJD... it's been a couple of years since I read her thread. Yes, it is interesting that a trucker by the name of Rhoades found her body. Things that make you go hmmm.

Omg they sent a letter to The Missing Trio family...i just jumped in on this thread. There are a few things that peak my interest here. let me read all of this thread.

I'm a retired long haul driver and in my 20 plus years over the road I never, ever heard any open discussions of kidnapping, murder, or like subjects ever. So please be careful out there but dont take for granted that because a few truck drivers are really bad people that they all are! Some are really good people, who love their families and wouldnt hurt another person for the world.It's like the song say's "one bad apple dont spoil the whole bunch".
I've met an old guy at our shop who was a long haul driver as well. He brought his youngest son's truck for backrack headache rack and new brake kit installation. He mentioned he was 30+ years in the service and was questioned many times about the cases that truck drivers were involved. He also witnessed a lot of road accidents and he was able to help some of them. I agree there are still so many good long haul truck drivers out there.

I'm a retired long haul driver and in my 20 plus years over the road I never, ever heard any open discussions of kidnapping, murder, or like subjects ever. So please be careful out there but dont take for granted that because a few truck drivers are really bad people that they all are! Some are really good people, who love their families and wouldnt hurt another person for the world.It's like the song say's "one bad apple dont spoil the whole bunch".

We have a 5th wheel and when times are not busy, we park in truck stops. This past spring we parked next to a 20 yr truck driver who had a German shepherd as a companion. We talked a bit before he explained the reason for the dog. The trucker said things had definitely changed in the years since he began driving, that he no longer interacted with drivers who now were not the honest people he once knew. Apparently, there is/was a storage of drivers, and not all who now drive are the cream of the crop, so to speak. He did his own maintenance, and the dog was protection, which he said worked well. Sad when a truck driver feels he needs protection.

http://www.truckinginfo.com/news/news-detail.asp?news_id=76546&news_category_id=6

Washington
Oregon
California
Arizona
Utah
New Mexico
Texas
Oklahoma
Missouri
Arkansas
Louisiana
Mississippi
Tennessee
Kentucky
Illinois
Indiana
Ohio
Pennsylvania
New Jersey
Virginia
Georgia
Florida

From various sources:

The serial killer admitted to one of his victims he'd been doing this for 15 years. So he can have victims as early as 1975

He's worked as a warehouseman, restaurant worker, long haul trucker,

Some victims were shot with a 22 or 25 pistol

He was born in Council Bluffs, Iowa
His stepfather committed suicide after he was arrested for a sex crime against a child
One of 5 children, one of his sisters committed suicide at age 12

He was in the military, marines and dishonorably discharged and he wanted to be a policeman but was rejected.

He was married 3 times.
#1. 1970 in Oklahoma City
#2. 1976 in Nebraska
#3. 1984 in Houston

What is the link to?

Re-reading a link from the top of the Walker County Jane Doe thread - goes to Porchlight International. I would link but it says "not secure" so don't know what might happen and I'm scared it will mess something up on here - anyway...
Is it not incredibly creepy that the truck driver that found WCJD was named James RHOADES????
Might be a brother. Might be a coincidence. The surname Rhodes isn't uncommon.

On the other hand, I seldom see the spelling "Rhoades".

I was going to post about this man just now.
And seen he had been listed on the 29th of March.
Something about this man has excited me in the killing fields.

Robert-Ben-Rhoades_2181151b.jpg
The Texas Killing Fields was numerous serial killers killing independently - William Lewis Reece, Edward Harold Bell, Knoppa & Lanham, etc.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Henry Lee Lucas (and possibly Ottis Toole) killed a couple.

It's possible Rhoades murdered a few of the girls.

August 1976 in Sumter, South Carolina.

Can we place him in South Carolina in 76?
His weapon of choice.
357?
Looking for any information on him around that time.

[ame="http://officialcoldcaseinvestigations.com/member.php?u=1553"]Cold Case Investigations[/ame]
cache.php

[ame="http://officialcoldcaseinvestigations.com/showthread.php?p=60109"]ROBERT BEN RHOADES - Page 2 - Cold Case Investigations[/ame]

the following from the above link.
I can place this monsters criminal past as far back as August 1974.
Was my first thought..I have seen a few that I think are his victims. Especially Mt Vernon Jane Doe

Alberta woman recognizes herself in photo found in U.S. serial killer’s truck - APTN News
Investigates, National News | February 24, 2019 by Holly Moore

"A Thunderchild First Nation woman made a chilling discovery online that could help police in two countries discover more about a convicted serial killer‘s activities."
"Rhoades is currently serving life sentences in Illinois for three murders. He pled guilty to the first degree murder of 14-year-old Regina Walters in 1992 after investigators found haunting photos of the teenager in his apartment.

His truck is said to have contained a homemade torture chamber."

(Robert Ben Rhoades)

Milliken was first referenced publicly in a 2012 GQ article by Vanessa Veselka.

She wrote about escaping a trucker like Rhoades herself and writes of how retired FBI investigator Mark Young gave her the photo.

One paragraph in the GQ story written relates a conversation Veselka had with Mark Young.

“Young pulled out one last picture and slid it across to me The photo was of a beautiful young girl, possibly Native American.

“She was on the end of the roll with Regina,” he said.

She’s shown sitting in Rhoades’s truck wearing a gray hoodie. Her eyes are partly closed, as if she’s stoned or sleepy. Rhoades must have just picked her up, because he hasn’t cut her hair yet. It is glossy black and long. No one knows who she is.”

Veselka confirmed that the photo in question was given to her by former FBI investigator Mark Young during her research for the 2012 GQ article.

She explained that the photo Milliken believes is her was found on alongside another of Rhoades victim, Regina Walters, at the end of same roll of film. That’s according to what Young told Veselka at the time.

However, the incidences were five years apart from one another.

Canadian woman’s brush with notorious serial killer
"She told the network she began hitchhiking in 1985. Milliken believes she was picked up by the serial killer just outside Regina.

“I opened up the door and I looked at him,” Milliken told APTN.

“He said, ‘Hey jump up on in here.’ I said, ‘I have a really heavy bag you are going to have to help me with it?’ I put my bag on the seat and he said, ‘Yeah I’ll help you with that and he put it in the back.‘”

As she was about to get into the passenger seat, the driver snapped her picture.

She said: “I said ‘What did you do that for?’ He said ‘Well I am going to take your pic. If you rip me off I can tell the cops that you stole from me.’”

Rhoades eventually dropped her off unharmed at a Winnipeg bus depot."

http://www.investigationdiscovery.c...f-in-photo-from-robert-bed-rhoades-truck.html
"Milliken said the driver called himself Robert and, after he got arrested, she positively identified him as Robert Rhoads.

The pair talked during their time on the road, Milliken said, without any intimations of violence. Eventually, she added, “He told me he was going to Florida, and he wanted me to come with him. At one point, he pointed to a sign on his dashboard that said ‘CASH, GRASS or *advertiser censored* — No one rides for free.’ I didn’t have any money. I didn’t smoke pot, so I knew which one it would be.”

Last edited:
Lengthy and interesting article. rbbm.
Robert Ben Rhoades: The Truck Stop Killer
By
Vanessa Veselka
October 24, 2012
"Several days later, though, heading south on I-95 through the Carolinas, I got picked up by another trucker who was not fine. I don't remember much about him except that he was taller and leaner than most truckers and didn't wear jeans or T-shirts. He wore a cotton button-down with the sleeves rolled neatly up over his biceps and had the cleanest cab I ever saw. He must have seemed okay or I wouldn't have gotten in the truck with him. Once out on the road, though, he changed. He stopped responding to my questions. His bearing shifted. He grew taller in his seat, and his face muscles relaxed into something both arrogant and blank. Then he started talking about the dead girl in the Dumpster and asked me if I'd ever heard of the Laughing Death Society. "We laugh at death," he told me.

A few minutes later, he pulled the truck onto the shoulder of the road by some woods, took out a hunting knife, and told me to get into the back of the cab. I began talking, saying the same things over and over. I said I knew he didn't want to do it. I said it was his choice. I said he could do it in a few minutes. I said it was his choice. I said I wouldn't go to the cops if nothing happened to me, but it was his choice—until he looked at me and I went still. There was going to be no more talking. I knew in my body that it was over. Then he said one word: Run. Without looking back, I ran into the woods and hid. I stayed there until I saw the truck pull onto the interstate. It was getting dark. I was still in shock, so I walked back out to the same road and started hitching south. I never went to the police and didn't tell anyone for years."

"When the Illinois state trooper who was trying to identify the body of Regina Walters, the girl Rhoades left in that barn, put her forensic description out on the national teletype, he was totally unprepared for the response. He requested information on missing Caucasian females aged 13 to 15 years old who had disappeared six to nine months earlier. He got over 900 matches."

"Rhoades was a great lover of games. His favorite book was Games People Play, wherein each social encounter is treated as a transaction or "game." One game in the book is called "Courtroom." Another is called "Beat Me Daddy," another "Frigid Woman." In that one, driven by penis envy, a woman's inner child taunts a man into seducing her so that she can be freed from guilt for her own "sadistic fantasies." Games People Play was a bible for Rhoades. He talked about it frequently and applied its ideas. In a letter to his wife on the subject of psychological games, he wrote: "I always told you there were three things you could do: play, pass, or run." The phrase "play, pass, run" is used twice in the letter. Reading it, I found it hard not to hear the man telling me to "run."

The linked copy is 81 pages, but a review says that the book is 186 pages.

"So writes Dr. Eric Berne, a 55-year-old San Francisco psychoanalyst, in a thin scientific volume entitled Games People Play. Dr. Berne, whose favorite magazines are Science and Mad and favorite books are The Kuzzilbash and Dawn Ginsbergh’s Revenge, has visited mental institutions in 30 countries paying his way with poker winnings. His Games People Play was smuggled into print last August with a cautious first run of 3,000 copies.

Dr. Berne sketches 101 games in 186 pages, which makes him as efficient as Hoyle indeed. Such economy is possible because the themes are all sadly or sweetly or cruelly familiar, and because the doctor gives them jazzy names that come close to telling all: “Kick Me,” “If It Weren’t for You,” “I’m Only Trying To Help You,” “You’re Uncommonly Perceptive,” “Wooden Leg,” “Schlemiel,“Let’s Play a Fast One on Joey.” He punctiliously pays homage to Stephen Potter (Gamesmanship, Lifesmanship, etc.) as a pioneer in the field. But he puts aside Potter-ish whimsicality to request that games be treated with the respect due, say, a time bomb in need of defusing. Possible endings for some include divorce, murder and suicide."​

Kurt Vonnegut Review of Games People Play by Dr. Eric Berne MD

but the FBI never confirmed it was her correct?
the two photos do not look alike to me ... aside from the angle of the head

the article linked in the first post is difficult to follow

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500