IL IL - Valerie Percy, 21, Kenilworth, 18 September 1966

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is an interesting article from last month about a speech given by a former crime reporter. He mentions the Valerie Percy murder and says many homicide detectives think the crime was a personal one, and was committed by someone she knew, and not by someone who intended to rob the house.

Thanks for bringing this one back to the top. Valerie's murder is a case that I've been interested in for several years. I agree, it was not a burglary gone wrong. However, I don't think she was murdered for personal reasons. I think she was killed by an unidentified serial killer. I'll go into my reasons another time. I'm on my lunch break at work and don't have access to my notes and articles on the murder.

Unfortunately for the solving of this crime, there were a lot of side issues going on at the Percy home at the time, not to mention SKs were unlikely to considered or a crime recognized as such by LE of the day.

Thanks for bringing this one back to the top. Valerie's murder is a case that I've been interested in for several years. I agree, it was not a burglary gone wrong. However, I don't think she was murdered for personal reasons. I think she was killed by an unidentified serial killer. I'll go into my reasons another time. I'm on my lunch break at work and don't have access to my notes and articles on the murder.

Unfortunately for the solving of this crime, there were a lot of side issues going on at the Percy home at the time, not to mention SKs were unlikely to considered or a crime recognized as such by LE of the day.

I'm interested in hearing what you have in your notes and articles about the case when you have time. I've been fascinated by this case too for quite some time. I actually remember when it happened...I was only 13 at the time, but I remember reading about it in our papers in Ohio and being freaked out by it!

I'm interested in hearing what you have in your notes and articles about the case when you have time. I've been fascinated by this case too for quite some time. I actually remember when it happened...I was only 13 at the time, but I remember reading about it in our papers in Ohio and being freaked out by it!

Be warned, it may end up taking several days. :)
In reading over the thread, there are several questions and statements I want to address. There are many things about this case that can seem unlikely to someone not familiar with the details. I want to be sure I have my ducks in a row before answering them. I also need to link some photos and drawings that can help to clarify things.

Here's a couple of updated links to things.
The TruTV story about Valerie.
http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/

The only current message board with a large amount of discussion about Valerie's case that I'm aware of is True Crimes and Beyond. Anyone interested in this case should read through the old threads there. There's much good information and discussion that goes beyond what I'll be able to include in my summaries that I'll be posting here.
http://forums.delphiforums.com/coldcases/

Both incarnations of the previously mentioned Crime and Justice board have closed.

Here's a couple of updated links to things.
The TruTV story about Valerie.
http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/

The only current message board with a large amount of discussion about Valerie's case that I'm aware of is True Crimes and Beyond. Anyone interested in this case should read through the old threads there. There's much good information and discussion that goes beyond what I'll be able to include in my summaries that I'll be posting here.
http://forums.delphiforums.com/coldcases/

Both incarnations of the previously mentioned Crime and Justice board have closed.

Thanks for posting the links. I had read the Crime Library story some time ago. The discussion at DelphiForums is interesting. You certainly do have lots of good info on this case. I don't know where I stand as far as who I think did it. You said you thought it was a UID serial killer. I'll have to look in Newspaper Archives when I get time and see if I can find any articles on unsolved murders in the general area. A serial killer is a good theory, but I'm also leaning towards something personal, maybe not against Valerie, but possibly something to do with politics?? I don't know, it's such a baffling case. I definitely have to read more about it. I'm looking forward to you posting your updated version of the Valerie Case Overview on DelphiForums when you have the time.

I was familiar with the murder case of Valerie Percy from the old detective magazine. The victim's family were all sleep at home when the crime occurred. Her mother failed to turn on the light when the killer flashed the light toward her eyes. She ran back to her bedroom to alert her husband. The case would be solve if she turn on the light & see the killer in person and have Charles and son run across the hall for defense in case he attack her. But it was too late as the killer was gone as Charles come in the room for check out. It becomed cold case for almost 44 yrs. The victim's family are all alive as of today.

I still think it's 2 possible reasons for Valerie being killed: she rejected romance/dating advances from the guy (killer) or tried to eliminate Charles Percy from being candidate for IL senator. The killer have no trouble to find her from break entry to her door.

4-1-Sketch-of-suspect.jpg
joepa.jpg
i
10-1-Frederick-Malchow.jpg
9-1-Frank-Hohimer.jpg

did not take time to cut out the photo on the right of the football coach, so you can just disregard it. Just thought it was an interesting compassion and remembered seeing it, when i view the stech of Valeries murderer.
the two photos on the far right........does either one of them, resemble the penn states student murder stecht , second from left

and if someone can find, a picture of this man below from the late 60s early 70s please provide a link and or picture thank you in advance.
his name is John Brennan Crutchley
200px-John_Crutchley.jpg

Thanks for finding those comparison sketches, MrTT...I see a slight resemblance between the sketches of Valerie Percy's murderer and Betsy Aardsma's. And the murders were only 3 years apart - Valerie was murdered in 1966 and Betsy in 1969 - so I guess anything is possible.

Going on a long-ago memory, but wasn't Sen. Percey remarried, so that would have been the twin's stepmother? Correct me or whack-a-mole me if I'm wrong.

Going on a long-ago memory, but wasn't Sen. Percey remarried, so that would have been the twin's stepmother? Correct me or whack-a-mole me if I'm wrong.

No, you're right. The woman who saw Valerie being attacked was her stepmother, Loraine. Valerie's mother Jeanne, Sen Percy's first wife, died in 1947 and he remarried in 1950. Here is the Wiki article for Sen. Percy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_H._Percy

I'm just going by what is posted here, without much independent digging...But after being so deeply involved in the Debbie Fijan case, I can't help seeing a few parallels To Richard Macek's other murders.

1966...Young female victim, beaten and stabbed...Possible stalking/voyeurism...Chicago suburb...and teeth marks (possible evidence of biting)--Macek's "signature". Even the sketch resembles a younger version of Macek.

Just tossing it out there so it isn't rattling around in my head anymore.

1966...Young female victim, beaten and stabbed...Possible stalking/voyeurism...Chicago suburb...and teeth marks (possible evidence of biting)--Macek's "signature".
I was going to mention this in one of my overview posts, but let me clear this up right now so sleuthers don't go down a blind alley. The marks on Valerie's hands are not described as bite marks. Rather they are abrasions believed caused by Valerie striking her killer in the mouth during the struggle. I'll be posting links to old newspaper articles with the coroner's remarks when I put up the overview.

There not being bite marks doesn't exclude Macek, so he remains a fair suspect.

Before I get into the actual case discussion, I want to state that the information contained in these case overview posts is the result of the efforts of many people. There have been 3 major crime discussion boards that have had large scale discussions on the Valerie Percy murder. Many fine people have contributed to the information in this and the following posts.

A general warning: The great majority of information we have on the case comes from newspaper articles of the time, very little from LE itself or people involved in the case, like Jbean. Sometimes the info is incorrect or outdated, especially from the early stages of the investigation. I'll try to not include, or address such info as it comes up.

A Rough Timeline of Events That Night
This covers the evening of Sept. 17 to the morning of Sept. 18, 1966. All times are APPROXIMATE unless otherwise noted. The murder took place during the time of Charles Percy's campaign for Senator. The scene was the Percy home, called Windward, in Kenilworth Ill., between Winnetka and Wilmette.

10:00 pm Valerie and her step-mother, Loraine, finish having dinner with 2 young campaign workers, James Mann and Tully Friedman. Valerie goes up to her room.
11:30 pm Valerie's sister, Sharon, returns home from a date. She goes to Valerie's room to return her raincoat. Valerie is in her nightclothes and watching TV from her bed. (Note: Chicago Tribune story puts this at 11:00 approx.)
12:30 am Valerie's father, Charles Percy, returns home from campaign duties. He watches TV with Loraine for about an hour and then they both retire for the night. (Note: Chicago Tribune story puts this at midnight approx.)
4:45-4:55 am Loraine is partially awakened by the sound of glass breaking. She thinks someone has knocked over a drinking glass and goes back to sleep.
5:00-5:03 am Loraine is awakened again, fully this time, by the sound of someone moaning. She goes down the hall, first to Sharon's room where she hears nothing, then to Valerie's. She opens the door and sees a man bending over the bed, shining a flashlight on Valerie's bloody body and bed. She screams in surprise. The man shines the flashlight in her eyes, briefly blinding her. Loraine steps back, turns and runs to rouse Charles. The attacker runs out of the bedroom, down the stairs and out the french door.
5:05 am Loraine trips the burglar alarm siren mounted on the roof. This is the only timemark that is consistently agreed on in all the different accounts of the events. Mr. Percy goes to his daughter's room. Loraine either accompanies him or follows soon after. The alarm siren wakens the next door neighbors, Dr. Robert and Nydia Hohf. Nydia Hohf runs out to the back yard. From here she can see the south side of the Percy house and the private beach. She sees no one. The phone rings inside the Hohf's. It's Mr. Percy asking Dr. Hohf to come and see Valerie. Dr. Hohf puts on pants over his pajamas and goes next door.
5:07-5:10 am Mr. Percy meets Dr. Hohf at the door. He goes straight to Valerie's room. He is unable to help her. He goes downstairs and tells the Percys that Valerie is dead. Loraine says she thought she detected a pulse in her wrist just before Dr. Hohf got there. Mr. Percy phoned for the Kenilworth police while the doctor was upstairs.
5:15 am or later The police arrive and the investigation begins.

People in the case.

Family:
Charles H. (Chuck) Percy (Father)
Jeanne Dickerson Percy (Mother of Valerie, died in )
Loraine Guyer Percy (Stepmother)
Sharon Percy (Twin Sister)
Roger Percy (Younger Brother)
Gail Percy (Younger Half-Sister)
Mark Percy (Younger Half-Brother)
Mrs. E. H. Percy (Grandmother)
Mrs. Leigh D. Guyer (Step-Grandmother)

Campaign workers Valerie had dinner with 9/18
James Mann
Tully Friedman

The Percy Housemen
Frederick Millington
Henry Witting

Eulogized Valerie's Funeral
Reverend William R. Hodgson

Medical
Dr. Andrew J. Toman (Coroner)
Sidney Berman (Assistant Coroner)
Dr. Kesert (Administered a Truth Serum To Mark A. Smith)
Dr. Robert Hohf (Pronounced Valerie dead & also a neighbor.)

Witness & Neighbor
Mrs. Nydia Hohf (Witnessed no activity in the rear area of the Percy home.)

Politicians
Richard Nixon (Attended Funeral)
Senator Paul Douglas (Dem.-IL. - Percy's opponent)
Thomas J. Houser (Percy's state campaign manager)

Law Enforcement (At Least 25 were involved. )
Chief Robert M. Daley
Supt. Orlando W. Wilson
Kenilworth policeman, Gary Wolson
Sgt. James Moore
Det. Hartwell McGuinn
Lt. Nicholas Juric
Lt. Richard Robb
Robert Lamb
Capt. Daniel Dragel
Det. John Nebergall
Joe DeLeonardo
Cook Co. State's Attorney Edward V. Hanrahan

Career Home Invasion Burglars / Suspects / Mob Connections, Etc.
Frederick "Freddie" J. Malchow
Harold James "Jimmy" Evans / Evens
Francis Leroy Hohimer
Danny Malchow
Robert Stanfield
Harold Wayne Hohimer (brother of Francis H. Owned car lot. Was a gambling addict)
Norman Jackson
Mark Allen Smith (Convicted Murderer of No Less Than 12 )
Leo Rugendorf (gave burglary job assignments to Hohimer, Malchow etc.)
William Jackson
"Fat Nello" Sammarco (Fence to the break-in gang.)

Authors / Writers / Reporters, Etc.
Hugh F. Hough
Arthur M. Petacque
Ben Winters
Myron Farber
Jon K. Hahn
Andrew Gordon
Harold C. McKenney
Kenilworth PO Gary Wolson
Sandy Smith

Physical Evidence
This info isn't presented in any particular order.

Valerie's Wounds: There are differences between the various accounts. Since we don't have the actual autopsy report, we can't say which is accurate so I'll try to list all the variations.
1. 1-4 blows to the head. These were the cause of death. They were made with an object having a small conical shape. Coroner Toman described the injuries to Valerie's skull as being triangular in shape and speculated that they might have been made by a fireplace poker. There were other statements that the weapon might have been a ball peen hammer with the ball face reground to a point.
2. 10-14 stab wounds to the neck, upper body and stomach inflicted with a double edged weapon.
3. Abrasions to the hands that might have been made by a tooth or teeth and her legs were drawn up in a defensive position and there were bruises on her left foot and knees.

Physical evidence left by the killer:
1. There was a trail of barefoot prints on the beach leading to and from the rear of the Percy home.
2. There was an opening cut into the screen door at the rear of the house. The object used left behind a blue residue.
3. There was a pane of glass cut out of the french doors. A fingerprint was later found on this pane. It was never matched to anyone and may not have been left by the murderer.
4. Palm and finger prints were left on the door frame of Valerie's room and on the stairway railing. Accounts differ as to whether or not they were in blood. If not, then they might have nothing to do with the murder.
5. A bayonet was found in nearby Lake Michigan. It could not be proved to be or not to be the murder weapon. There was an unconfirmed story that Charles Percy had a bayonet that went missing.
6. A small, wet, cloth and leather glove was found in a shrub. Somw accounts say it had blood on it. It has not been linked definitely to the murder.
7. A brown moccasin shoe was found on the beach near the Percy home. It is not known if it was connected to the murder.
8. A pocket watch was found several blocks from the home. It is not known if it was connected to the murder.
9. A second knife, rusty, was found on a bluff overlooking a public beach next to the Percy's private beach. It isn't known if this knife was connected to the murder.
10. Hair and fibers were found in the bedroom that did not belong to Valerie.
11. Half of a pair of kitchen shears was found nearby. Valerie's wounds did not match such an object and it likely is not related to her murder.
12. Something that probably doesn't exist, a pair of bloody trousers supposedly worn by Freddie Malchow during the murder. I only list it because it is mentioned in some newspaper articles.

Layout of the House
The patio and music room where the killer entered the house are on the northeast corner.
The music room leads into the living room which leads into the vestibule which is where the staircase leading to the upper floor is.
The upper floor bedrooms heading towards Valerie's bedroom were in this order.
Sharon's, Mark's (empty), then Valerie's in the northeast corner. The door to Valerie's room was in the same wall that the head of the beds were against. There were 2 beds in Valerie's room. She was in the one farthest from the door.
Mr. and Mrs. Percy's master bedroom was in the south section as was that of younger sister Gail.
One report states that it was at least 35 feet from Valerie's room to the master bedroom.
The main part of the house was connected to the garage by a passageway. It was here that the family dog was kept that night. The garage is at the west end of the house away from where the killer entered. The houseman was in the room over the garage. It is a large 4 car garage. We don't know which end the houseman's room is at.

Description of killer by Loraine Percy: White male wth dark hair. About 5'8", 160 lbs. He was wearing a checkered shirt.
Police theory on the weapon used to inflict the skull: A ball peen hammer with the round face re-ground to a point resembling a jeweler's hammer.
Cook County Coroner Andrew Toman speculated the head wound might have been inflicted with something like a fire poker because of the triangular shape of the skull fracture.
Coroner's office men carelessly left their own prints in critical areas at the crime scene. They had to be printed so theirs could be eliminated.
The dog that didn't bark: There have been 2 explanations given for this. Either, or both, may be true.
1. The dog had become accustomed to strangers around the house and didn't bark at anyone unless they were in uniform.
2. The dog was locked in the walkway area between the house and the garage and couldn't hear anything.
Some newspaper accounts say there were 2 dogs, but this seems to be wrong, there was just one dog.

A taxi driver told police he saw a green station wagon pull out of the Percy driveway between 4:30 and 5:00 a.m.
Investigators studied a police artist's sketch of a cat burglar who invaded the bedroom of a 19-year-old girl, Sharon Bubes, in suburban Evanston, near Kenilworth, last June and attacked her with a ball peen hammer. Police said the case had striking similarities with the slaying of 21-year-old Valerie.
The artist's conception of the cat burglar was to be shown to potential witnesses in the Percy case. Loraine agreed that the sketch resembled Valerie's killer.
The composite, is that of a white male, long thin face with dark hair and large dark glasses.
There was a phone call made from the Percy estate to a business owned by Leo Rugendorf sometime after the murder.

Thanks for posting all the details of the case on here, Bargle. I haven't had the chance to read through it all yet, but I appreciate you taking the time to post it. Thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member