IL IL - Valerie Percy, 21, Kenilworth, 18 September 1966

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recall seeing a photo posted somewhere in these threads of a bayonet found by divers in the water not far from the Percy house. As I recall it was a U.S. model 1905 with a 10 inch blade. This type of bayonet was origionally designed for and used on the 1903 "Springfield" rifle and later the M-1 Garand rifle. Does anyone know if the wounds suffered by Valerie matched that bayonet?

Normally the bayonet was not particularly sharp along the entire length of the blade, as it was primarily meant for stabbing an enemy.

I totally agree with you Wannabe00. What active investigating could be going on? The killer would be in his 70's or 80's. Probably dead too. I think being the Sharon, the sister, doesn't want opened it will not be

Back in the 90's I had spoken to Police Chief Lamb about who I suspected killed Valerie and he put in me contact with Illinois State Police Investigators being Illinois State Police was doing the investigating at the time. Both Lamb and the investigators said there was boxes upon boxes of evidence. I surely hope none of it is lost.

I saw that on early news. Another intricate person who knows all about it gone.

I've listened to it and clearly Kelly hasn't researched the case as well as the long time people here. The dog not barking, how the alarm worked and the Percys going to California have all been much discussed here and on the other older forums that Lucky and I have frequented.

That said, if he can get the case files released, that would be great.

This Percy case related radio show was posted yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyj2PFsVkf0&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for the link. It's a very good show, both interviews are great.

I especially liked hearing John Q Kelly talk about the case. He's the attorney who is going to court to try to open up the case files. He's a highly experienced attorney when it comes to investigating murders. Here's a link to his wiki profile showing some of the cases he's taken to court, including the civil cases on behalf of Nicole Brown Simpson's estate, Natalie Holloway, Kathleen Savio's estate v her killer/husband Drew Peterson, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Q._Kelly

http://www.nbcchicago.com/investiga...ie-Percy-Murder-Case-Are-Wrong-392659071.html

AFAIK, he's not writing a book about the case, he just decided to investigate it, since he grew up in the area around 1966. He's doing the investigation and lawsuits pro bono.

Like many others who read about this case, Kelly can't understand why it hasn't been solved. He also doesn't believe the investigation is still active and wonders why everything was locked up with little info and little progress. Thousand of LE, millions of dollars and nada. As he points out a murder in the victim's home is the most likely case to be solved.

He goes through a lot of evidence, theories and assertions made by LE that don't make sense. He says it was a crime of passion, not robbery. Valerie was the target, her room was too difficult to access for it to be a random act. He questioned the glass cutting equipment, how quickly Valerie died. He indirectly exonerates the family, as Valerie did struggle and the killer would have been scratched, etc. None of the family had those injuries. He questions pretty much everything many of us have questioned here. IMO, he validates a lot of the questions we have here. We shouldn't make assumptions about evidence, suspects ruled out, etc. until LE can provide better proof of their own assertions. He covers a lot of information quickly, so its worth a listen.

Take the time to listen. It's well worth hearing both interviews if you're interested in this case. I hope he succeeds in getting the files released.

IMO, I still think its likely it was someone the family knew, possibly someone who worked on the campaign.

Funny how people automatically assume that alarm systems of the 60's were like what we have now a day. LOL!! I remember all the discussion about the dog not barking. Poor dog would not even have heard a sound in the the house where he was kept.

I am sorry but I will stick by my theory that for whatever reason the murder saw Sharon when she was out that night and followed her home. Then the murderer sat waiting out back of the house to hopefully see where she went in the house. Being she went up to Valerie's bedroom to return her raincoat, Valerie's bedroom light went on. So the murderer thought that was Sharon's bedroom. The door he broke into was just below and to the left of Valerie's bedroom so IMO that is why that door was chosen to enter the home. From a diagram of the house it would not take much to find her bedroom from there. A person would not need prior knowledge of the layout of the house.
What I feel is a shame is back in those days police departments did not talk to each other. They kept their crimes and evidence to themselves and solved themselves. I feel if there was a line of communication this murder would have been solved and we would not be here today 50 years later still discussing it.

Funny how people automatically assume that alarm systems of the 60's were like what we have now a day. LOL!! I remember all the discussion about the dog not barking. Poor dog would not even have heard a sound in the the house where he was kept.

I am sorry but I will stick by my theory that for whatever reason the murder saw Sharon when she was out that night and followed her home. Then the murderer sat waiting out back of the house to hopefully see where she went in the house. Being she went up to Valerie's bedroom to return her raincoat, Valerie's bedroom light went on. So the murderer thought that was Sharon's bedroom. The door he broke into was just below and to the left of Valerie's bedroom so IMO that is why that door was chosen to enter the home. From a diagram of the house it would not take much to find her bedroom from there. A person would not need prior knowledge of the layout of the house.
What I feel is a shame is back in those days police departments did not talk to each other. They kept their crimes and evidence to themselves and solved themselves. I feel if there was a line of communication this murder would have been solved and we would not be here today 50 years later still discussing it.

That's still a good theory, but he would have stalked her previously. Otherwise, how would he happen to have the glass cutting tools on him to do the job? Or would he have returned home to retrieve them, then return to the Percy home?

I also agree with John Q Kelly that opening up the files and looking at all the evidence again will probably solve the crime. As he points out, there was probably a lot of evidence in the home, especially fingerprints. It was a very bloody crime scene, very messy. He also questions (as others have here) how the killer could carry around so much stuff during the crime - the bayonet, a knife, a flashlight, glass cutting tools, etc. and still have hands free to kill Valerie, shine the flashlight on her step-mom and escape without leaving any of it behind.

He also points out this was a rage killing, lots of overkill, meaning it's most likely someone who knew her.

That's still a good theory, but he would have stalked her previously. Otherwise, how would he happen to have the glass cutting tools on him to do the job? Or would he have returned home to retrieve them, then return to the Percy home?

I also agree with John Q Kelly that opening up the files and looking at all the evidence again will probably solve the crime. As he points out, there was probably a lot of evidence in the home, especially fingerprints. It was a very bloody crime scene, very messy. He also questions (as others have here) how the killer could carry around so much stuff during the crime - the bayonet, a knife, a flashlight, glass cutting tools, etc. and still have hands free to kill Valerie, shine the flashlight on her step-mom and escape without leaving any of it behind.

He also points out this was a rage killing, lots of overkill, meaning it's most likely someone who knew her.

He would have returned being the lapse of time from when Sharon returned home and the murder actually happened.

I understand the overkill theory but there are a lot of serial killers who do not even know their victims and commit overkill. I think back in the 60's serial killers were not heard of nor was there a connection made in murders to put two and two together to come up with a serial killer theory.
IMO as far as all the tools...a glass cutter is small and can be pocketed after use. We do not even know the size of the flashlight. Could had been pocketed also. The knife could have had a handle that was used to hit her over the head. So not a lot to carry when you break it down.

Unfortunately with this case there is a lot of hindsight and improved technology that keeps getting compared. I am not defending the KPD with what they did or did not do. Back then the PD's used what they had at their disposal. What I am upset about is that technology has made leaps and bounds into DNA and other ways of connecting the dots. I do not know why they do not use it to hopefully put this case to bed.

Today is the 51st anniversary of this crime. Remembering Valerie Percy today and hoping this case will be solved.

RIP Valerie. You are not forgotten. I am hoping this murder will be solved also but the more years that go by it is hard to be optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member