IL IL - Walter Donley, Peoria, 1 June 1943

If it was a murder then the killers made quick and thorough work of disposing of the remains.

Hard to imagine a pre-dug grave close enough so it must have been by some other method.

If he was dumped in the river then the body would need to have been heavily weighted.

I wonder how long bones last under fresh water.

Anyway, we just passed the 72 year mark on this one.

Old Forgottonia certainly has its fair share of unsolveds.. :/

I live near Peoria, and have long been fascinated by the story of Mary Doefour. I recently came across a site that had thenewspaper articles Rick Baker wrote and read through them again. Then I started digging into the Anna Myrle Sizer angle. Found old news articles about her disappearing that had new information, to me anyway. Real strange case. But I don't find her on Iowa Cold Cases, or here, or other missing persons websites. I would love to see this case looked at more closely! Also came across a African- American deaf-mute teen found in Jacksonville who spent the rest of his life in IL institutions, and Mary Chapin Carpenter wrote a song about him after reading his obit, "John Doe No. 24. Can't imagine being cut adrift from your life and loved ones like these people experienced!

I hope I am not duplicating info here...I went back and read this thread but didn't click on any links in posts yet.

I did some searches on Ancestry and it appears that Walter and Marjorie Donley's daughter, Diane (Donley) Hyde born Oct. 5, 1928, passed away in Florida on Jan 28, 1996. I did screenshot the info to back this up but am not sure if I am allowed to post the screenshots?

The disappearance and presumed death of Walter Donley is a mystery that may never be solved but there are still questions that are worth asking. Why were two Peoria attorneys, licensed in the State of Illinois, defending in a criminal case in St. Louis? Was this acceptable practice in 1943? Was it a criminal case filed in Missouri or was it a Federal case? The attorneys were criminal defense attorneys. What was the crime? I think I read that it was two brothers on trial...not certain. What was the outcome of the trial?

I have a personal interest in this case. I am related to Thomas Feeney, Mr. Donley's partner at the time of his disappearance. I worked in Mr. Feeney's law office many years later. In the bottom right hand door of his desk, he kept a slim legal copy of the opening questioning of one of the defendants in the St. Louis law suit. The front page of this document was stained with blood. I never knew of the disappearance of Walter Donley until I read this thread. I am 83 years old and was seven years old at the time of the disappearance. I wanted to leave what I know here in case it is helpful...and I have questions as noted.

June 1, 1943 was the 40th birthday of Mr. Feeney. At the time, his family was living with his parents (due to illness of his Mom) taking care of the household. He may have left the office early for a birthday gathering at the house? That evening, Mr. Feeney and his family were moved to a two story clapboard house on First Street, set back from the street, next to a two story cement block building that was a bar/saloon. Someone wanted them to be safe/hidden. There was an alley behind the house where the car pulls into a parking space. The shades were kept drawn. I know that Mr. Feeney discontinued his practice of practice of criminal law. It was all so long ago but in reading this thread these are the things that I remember.

June 1, 1943 was the 40th birthday of Mr. Feeney. At the time, his family was living with his parents (due to illness of his Mom) taking care of the household. He may have left the office early for a birthday gathering at the house? That evening, Mr. Feeney and his family were moved to a two story clapboard house on First Street, set back from the street, next to a two story cement block building that was a bar/saloon. Someone wanted them to be safe/hidden. There was an alley behind the house where the car pulls into a parking space. The shades were kept drawn. I know that Mr. Feeney discontinued his practice of practice of criminal law. It was all so long ago but in reading this thread these are the things that I remember.

Rereading info here and thinking about "the money" given to Mr Donley by his client. There were two big banks in downtown Peoria where one might have a safe deposit box. Law offices would not normally have had a safe in their office in 1943. Money, that might be evidence, would be kept as "possible evidence" in a criminal trial. So I am supposing that it was held in a bank safe deposit box. The area of Main & Bourland was a commercial area. I have no idea if a branch was opened to accommodate the western Peoria customers. It does, however, seem that if you follow the money you go to the bank and retrieve it. Federal agents might request it be turned over for tracking? Others might just want it turned over because it can be traced. Other than money, it is difficult to find a reason that Mr. Donley was in danger. The location of Mr. Donley's car seems a simple "leave it" and move on. The area around Peoria is rich with very deep gravel pits and a weighted body would be very deep for a very long time.

I have one last comment for any family of Mr. Donley that might one day read this thread. In the 40'a and 50's, there was a tight bond between law enforcement, attorneys, judges and criminal reporters. Everything possible would have been done to solve Mr. Donley's disappearance. There was great pride in the work of keeping the city of Peoria safe. And I have no doubt that this was personal to these men.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back