Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #1 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The University of Illinois has the largest Chinese student population of any U.S. college, with 5,600 students enrolled.

more info on Yingying:

One central motivation for everything she did was a desire to help her parents in Nanping, a city in a picturesque part of China amid mountain ranges and forests, her boyfriend said. She set aside part of her research income to buy her parents devices to make their lives easier, including a microwave and a cellphone.

Her boyfriend and her father described Yingying as bright and studious, fun-loving and outgoing. She plays the guitar and was the lead singer in band called "Cute Horse" at college in China. One of her favorite songs, her boyfriend said, was "The Rose," a hit in 1980 for American singer Bette Midler.

Yingying, they added, is also street-smart and cautious and would not normally get into a car with a stranger unless somehow duped or forced. Her father recalls Yingying heeding news reports of women going missing, adding, "She is good at protecting herself."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...se-scholar-shakes-illinois-university-n776921

Mystery of missing Chinese scholar shakes up U. of I. campus

Zhang’s father, Ronggao Zhang, traveled to the university from the family’s home in Nanping, China, to await word on his daughter. He had a message for whoever might have abducted her.

“We will forgive you,” he said in a telephone interview. “But please, let Yingying go.”

The 53-year-old, speaking through a translator, had a message for his daughter, too: “Yingying, please be strong.”

Local police and the FBI say Zhang’s case is a top priority, though they have withheld details of their investigation, even from her father, said Yingying Zhang’s boyfriend, who sat in on the weekend interview with the father from the 44,000-student campus about 140 miles south of Chicago.

“So you can imagine the anxiety,” Xiaolin Hou said. “It’s almost torture . . . not knowing anything.”

This is not anything related to the search but just thought it was funny that I am now getting targeted ads on the internet for Saturn Astras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is not anything related to the search but just thought it was funny that I am now getting targeted ads on the internet for Saturn Astras.

After spending a lot if time trying to figure out how many black four door hatchbacks sold in the US, so am I. In those efforts, I realized people don't let go of them too often. I have no stats, but I think generally speaking, the resale percentage is low.

It is disheartening to not have any new developments in this case. I can only surmise that the relative silence coming from LE means they have narrowed down their focus considerably.

Bingo. Big time.

Until the case is solved, no detail is too small. What do you guys think was in the victim's backpack? Just documents and other paperwork?

Women have a lot of items in their bags. Just check out any youtube video titled "what is in my bag"?:)

Until the case is solved, no detail is too small. What do you guys think was in the victim's backpack? Just documents and other paperwork?

It might be nothing and she was just carrying her usual stuff.
But it looked a little bit heavy to me, considering she was going to sign a lease.
Maybe she brought her laptop with her.

I've been pondering this as well. Some possibilities I came up with are: the car is from out of area and they either don't have a license plate number or the plates are stolen; or the car itself is stolen. Does anyone else have a suggestion?
AZURE Shut the front door!!! Have been reading all the old posts and YOURS combined with the CCV picture of her on the bus and a light bulb went off.:doh: Has anyone realized that the COURTHOUSE is less than a mile away? What if someone was court ordered to appear, but doesn't have a driver's license...revoked?suspended etc.?? He might have used someone else's vehicle, because if he used his own and it came up on a police computer (on a call-in) he would really be in a lot of trouble! For instance "habitual traffic offender with no impulse control." Or, someone checking in with his parole officer, court ordered anger mgmt etc....I know it sounds a little strange. But I have seen "similar scenario"-- park a long distance away, and then catch a bus to pretend that is how they got to the courthouse. Or claim, "My friend/Mom/gf dropped me off" and then headed off to the mall. (You guys can pick a multitude of scenarios....probably better ones than me.)
Anyway, would be interesting to see if anyone "court ordered" (which means they may have had to come to town just for the hearing) might match the description reported by the first woman who was approached.
County Court House, 101 E. Main to intersection of Goodwin and Springfield....is less than ONE MILE!
Just trying to check all the boxes....familiarity with area, reason for being there, possible existing criminal record, reason to change lic plates or use someone else's, reason for being there that time of day, and why they would be near a bus stop...even if they had a vehicle nearby!!
PHEW!!! That was exhausting to type...I think I "checked" them all off. (think slow/typed fast and other times just the opposite. I get a horrible feeling just before I push Post Quick Reply....cuz then I see all my typos)

Artificial Photosynthesis Is a Long Shot, but Might Reverse Climate ...Inverse › Science › Climate Change

AMP - May 4, 2017 - artificial photosynthesis geoengineering carbon dioxidereverse climate change ... Or, perhaps, the material could be integrated into roof shingles, where they would remove CO2 passively while ...

Imagine what reversing climate change could be worth and YZ specializes in photosynthesis.

Has anyone read anything lately about feeding the world by the year 2050? And YZ specializes in crop productivity.

She could be a very valuable person to a lot of people - her search a national priority for the FBI.

Someone once wrote the words "brazen daytime abduction"....Yep, "brazen" fits the bill when one realizes the University of Illinois Police Dept is located at/on 1100 W. Springfield Ave. Care to guess how many meters/feet away the bus stop is on Goodwin & Springfield Ave to where the UIPD is located?? Per google maps: 1 min
138 ft
via W Springfield Ave
Mostly flat
Yep, brazen. (Please feel free to correct if I got the wrong intersection/info)

The University of Illinois has the largest Chinese student population of any U.S. college, with 5,600 students enrolled.

more info on Yingying:

One central motivation for everything she did was a desire to help her parents in Nanping, a city in a picturesque part of China amid mountain ranges and forests, her boyfriend said. She set aside part of her research income to buy her parents devices to make their lives easier, including a microwave and a cellphone.

Her boyfriend and her father described Yingying as bright and studious, fun-loving and outgoing. She plays the guitar and was the lead singer in band called "Cute Horse" at college in China. One of her favorite songs, her boyfriend said, was "The Rose," a hit in 1980 for American singer Bette Midler.

Yingying, they added, is also street-smart and cautious and would not normally get into a car with a stranger unless somehow duped or forced. Her father recalls Yingying heeding news reports of women going missing, adding, "She is good at protecting herself."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...se-scholar-shakes-illinois-university-n776921

BBM. This is interesting to me.

Imagine what reversing climate change could be worth and YZ specializes in photosynthesis.

Has anyone read anything lately about feeding the world by the year 2050? And YZ specializes in crop productivity.

She could be a very valuable person to a lot of people - her search a national priority for the FBI.

wow good catch....thanks.

[video=twitter;879691116349673477]https://twitter.com/jawurth/status/879691116349673477[/video]

wow good catch....thanks.
I pray this beautiful young lady is found safe. Only in the country for around six weeks, a cautious traveler is kidnapped. Somehow, the guy in the Astra was able to convince Ying Ying to get into his vehicle. I'm so sorry for her family & friends. Godspeed to the FBI & the PD investigators. They are working so hard to bring Ying Ying home.

After spending a lot if time trying to figure out how many black four door hatchbacks sold in the US, so am I. In those efforts, I realized people don't let go of them too often. I have no stats, but I think generally speaking, the resale percentage is low.
I am still trying to catch up, and I apologize if this has already been brought up:

From early on, I've felt the perp's vehicle had a stolen plate(s) at the time of Yingying's abduction, and I also think that the Astra does not belong to the perp, but rather it was also stolen. LE has had 2.5 weeks to look into the current owners of Astras, recent/current sale listings and past sales. It just seems to me if the Astra actually belonged to the perp himself, family member or a friend, they would have identified the person and interviewed (or at least try to) him by this point. And that may be what they are doing as we speak, and they just haven't released any info.

I also think if the perp dumped the vehicle at a random location, it would have been found by now, with LE releasing that information to the public. The legitimate owner would have been notified and interviewed. They may also be doing this right now, while keeping that information close to the vest.

So if the Astra was stolen, as well as the plate(s), where could the perp have hidden the vehicle?

One possibility I thought of is an old barn or a large tool shed that's currently not in use. If the perp is local, he would have relatively easy access to such structures, as the UIUC campus is located in a rural area. Say if the perp inherited or purchased a farm with a barn or a rural property with a detached garage or a pole-barn-type structure on it, he could hide the car in there at least for a while. These types of properties would allow the perp to engage in criminal behavior (keeping someone hostage or worse ... :() without neighbors thinking anything of it.

My late grandma, who lived in a 100-year-old farmhouse on a 280-acre property in southwest Indiana had an old barn, old shed and a rental property on it. The barn sat empty after my grandad passed away in '76. The rental property sat empty after a pair of sisters moved out to move into a nursing home in the late 80's; my grandma couldn't keep up with the maintenance it required, and it didn't make economic sense to hire someone to fix it up. In the shed, she kept all kinds of stuff she just couldn't let go of for sentimental reasons, including a Ford from sometime in the 50's that my uncle worked on when he was in high school in the 60's. Since there was nothing she really needed in there, she would go inside the shed maybe every couple of years, just to check on it for leaks in the roof, etc. Her closest neighbor lived at least two miles away.

A property like that would be perfect for hiding something for a long, long time, until the perp slips up, or re-offends and gets caught.

A walk and concert to support Yingying Zhang has been scheduled for Thursday evening at the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts. The public is invited to take part, to convey community support for Zhang and give those frustrated by her disappearance a way to do something positive. It's also a way to keep attention on Zhang's disappearance,

The walk will start at 6:45 p.m. at Krannert, 500 S. Goodwin Ave., U, then go to Turner Hall, 1102 S. Goodwin Ave., U, the laboratory where Zhang works. It will then proceed to North Goodwin Avenue, where Zhang was last seen on June 9, before returning to Krannert.

A brief concert will follow at Krannert from 7:30 to 8 p.m., featuring the Jasmine Fields Orchestra, which consists of more than 40 Chinese UI students who play both Chinese and Western instruments. They arrange pieces that blend different music elements, from Chinese folk music to Western classical music. Zhang was in a band in China, and the ensemble will play some of Zhang's favorite pieces "so that if she's somewhere she can hear the event, hear news coverage of the event or read about it, she might draw strength from the performances."

Participants in Thursday's walk should assemble in the plaza on the western side of the Krannert Center at 6:30 p.m. In the event of a storm, they will be invited to go inside for a gathering instead of a walk. Parking at the Krannert Center is free after 5 p.m.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/lo...missing-ui-scholar-set-thursday-krannert.html

FBI billboards taken down for now

http://www.illinoishomepage.net/news/local-news/fbi-billboards-taken-down-for-now/751491992

The FBI says they have pre-existing agreements with billboard companies for cases like this. But the contract ran out on Friday. The FBI says they're in the process of renewing the contracts with the billboard companies and they're looking to get them back up soon.

Seems to me that this adds to the theory that they have narrowed their focus and are building a case. They are being very, very quiet about this beyond the necessary PR statements to assure the public that progress is being made. I hope I'm right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member