Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #2 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think maybe it was just assumed by people in the community that she was taken away from the area, so searches wouldn't be useful. Though there was nothing to directly lead us to believe that, there was nothing that indicated there should be searches either. No encouragement from local police departments to do so. With the FBI and LE having so much trouble locating the vehicle, billboards being put up out of state,etc. I think assumptions were probably just made.

If I am reading the map correctly the car that Yingying got into was going in the opposite direction of where the apartment was located.

I don't think that map is entirely accurate, just because the MSM article linked below says she got off the bus at Mathews Ave and Springfield and was never seen again. On the map you see some bus stops at that corner, so I think that is where the video showed her entering the vehicle. This should be a more accurate map / directions, still a short bus ride away (13 min on the 22 line.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/W+S...1a3f21958298ad!2m2!1d-88.2218875!2d40.1282746

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/lo...-information-car-tied-missing-ui-scholar.html

A video from John Lordan who covers missing person cases on YouTube. We don't learn anything new here and he probably made this prior the FBI's announcement of the car being found. But it is more publicity and that can possibly mean more awareness.

[video=youtube;HItGC5E-OwA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HItGC5E-OwA&index=105&list=PLtQTG_o0WfAdFPoySN1ukePSWurycYDd4[/video]

She was waiting at that corner for the 22 bus which would take her to one north. That is a bus stop on that corner.

I don't think that map is entirely accurate, just because the MSM article linked below says she got off the bus at Mathews Ave and Springfield and was never seen again. On the map you see some bus stops at that corner, so I think that is where the video showed her entering the vehicle. This should be a more accurate map / directions, still a short bus ride away (13 min on the 22 line.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/W+S...1a3f21958298ad!2m2!1d-88.2218875!2d40.1282746

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/lo...-information-car-tied-missing-ui-scholar.html

Thank you. I hope somebody in the area or familiar with that place will tell me. Was the car she entered going toward the apartment she was going to lease or away in the other direction?

Reporting is soooo bad in these cases. Nobody seems to take pride in their work. She didn't get off the bus and disappear. She got off the bus, waited til a car drove up, conversed with somebody in the car, got in and left the area.

I hope camera's were able to also tell if there was just one driver or several people in the car.

If I am reading the map correctly the car that Yingying got into was going in the opposite direction of where the apartment was located.
She was waiting at that corner for the 22 bus which would take her to one north. That is a bus stop on that corner.
This map is correct, as is HoldySi. the car headed north straight up North Goodwin Avenue after Yingying got in, and the apartment complex is also north of the bus stop she was waiting at. The link of the map would have been her bus route to get to the area of the apartment complex.
attachment.php

Attachments

• map for yingying.JPG
    map for yingying.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 439
I hate to say it but a perp who knows what he's doing destroys the cell phone immediately.

I imagine that cell phone pings would have allowed LE to find the car much sooner and have more info as to YingYing's whereabouts, but it's impossible to know whether they have the physical phone or even any leads due to pings. Maybe they do have that info and it led them to the car - it's just hard for me to believe that it took the FBI 2 weeks to find the car based on pings.

With the video cameras around town they likely found out the direction the perp went in, but as the FBI shared, it's not easy to get info from cameras due to resolution issues. They said they couldn't get a license plate from cameras, and that would include the camera that captured the video that is being shared as well as any other camera in town that they checked out.

IMO LE probably gathered information on the route taken in town and lost the perp when he entered a rural area. One poster up-thread who is a local mentioned that it is very easy for the perp to get on a highway or into a rural area where there are no cameras.

I hope that your ideas are correct in that YingYing knew her abductor and the cell phone records will help LE find him! For now, I have other theories.

All MOO.

<respectfully snipped> Was the car she entered going toward the apartment she was going to lease or away in the other direction?
<snipped>
The car left the bus stop and headed north, which was also the direction of the apartment complex.

A little more information I have not read before. White male who circled the area. Humm.

&#8220;Ms. Zhang is seen standing on the east side of Goodwin Avenue as a black Saturn Astra (unknown year) pulls up beside her,&#8221; police wrote on YouTube. According to CNN, &#8220;The FBI says the vehicle appeared to be driven by a white male who circled the area before making contact with Zhang.&#8221;

http://heavy.com/news/2017/06/yingy...ing-university-of-illinois-photos-video-uiuc/

Very confused. They searched for a body but never found it and now they've found it? Or two different bodies?
I wondered the same thing at first. If you read all 3 articles, you determine they could not find it, then a fisherman found it after a week+ or so later.

When she was first reported missing before the video of her getting into the car was found, I remember someplace it said that her phone was last pinged at Illinois Terminal? And then once the video was found and released, they did not include that tidbit again.

Also, I know for a fact that they pulled video surveillance from downtown Champaign businesses. Maybe following the car's path?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

When she was first reported missing before the video of her getting into the car was found, I remember someplace it said that her phone was last pinged at Illinois Terminal? And then once the video was found and released, they did not include that tidbit again.

Also, I know for a fact that they pulled video surveillance from downtown Champaign businesses. Maybe following the car's path?

See No Evil on the ID channel is an excellent program. Shows a lot about how camera's are used and how precise they are in identifying license numbers, make and model. Sometimes even a picture of the driver and other things needed in an investigation.

I'm kind of wondering why they are not giving the family any information per a video I just watched.

It was here that I read that bit about her cell phone. That info may have been initially released to the group of friends/colleagues that reported her missing.
886d82f181763b52f6160269c48994d7.jpg
80bc865cc49ea421af73ea11ad8555d7.jpg
795cd8ae4de1d2c0c727cc60733fcd23.jpg

A little more information I have not read before. White male who circled the area. Humm.

“Ms. Zhang is seen standing on the east side of Goodwin Avenue as a black Saturn Astra (unknown year) pulls up beside her,” police wrote on YouTube. According to CNN, “The FBI says the vehicle appeared to be driven by a white male who circled the area before making contact with Zhang.”

http://heavy.com/news/2017/06/yingy...ing-university-of-illinois-photos-video-uiuc/

some of the reports seem to suggest she went to look at an apartment after getting on a bus, but never actually made it to the viewing. If this is true, what does being picked up by the black car have to do with her disapearance?

If they have already found the black car in the video, what does it matter that you cannot see the license plate in the video, or if the driver appears white, or anything else? Shouldn't it matter at this point is determining who is the owner of the car and whether that person was driving the car at time Zhang was picked up?

You can buy photo shield license plate covers for cheap at any auto supply store, and probably even cheaper at Walmart. That could have been a reason the plates were hard to identify. Although having said that, I do think they identified the plate numbers from a different camera somewhere else. And as Yuke points out, it doesn't matter now...

That is odd that there hasn't been any searches for her.
Maybe the twist is she knew this person & it was a scheduled meeting, maybe so it'd be seen on camera to portray a kidnapping, but in reality she left on her own with this person. She could've been planning this since she got to the US. Maybe there's a reason she chose to go to THIS school over another in her homeland. Maybe she felt pressure from her family or her boyfriend to do certain things, maybe she met someone online, I don't know, but something is off & up until now, I wasn't sure what it was, but reading someone else state concerns about searches, it CLICKED!!!! So why hasn't there been any searches, or none the public is aware of.

Idk I've been reading along but hadn't contributed, until now, but there's just something that doesn't sit right with me about the whole thing. Could be totally wrong, but then again, we've all seen it here on WS, stranger things have happened!!!

Just my random thoughts & opinions...
I was contemplating this scenario as well. I do hope she just needed a break for whatever reason. That's the best case scenario, however unlikely. I viewed the new pics and she looks so very young. My understanding is that she already has her masters degree. She's a very intelligent young woman with an extremely bright life and future.

Because my son will be transferring to university from junior college, away from our family; I've found myself deeply moved by this case. No family should be left wondering and waiting. Her family deserve answers and a safe Yingying brought home to them. I am praying for Yingying and her family and friends.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Im assuming this is what pinged her phone at 2:30ish. Very well could have been thrown out the window on the way out of town via downtown area.
df9e27235e67b31ac6dfa20117fad19b.jpg

wait. She applied on June 8 for the apt, and someone texted her that next day to approve her? Also, text alleges she STARTED her application. Did she finish it and submit it? Seems like an awfully quick turnaround to get approved for a lease, no?

New billboards will focus on Yingying

The FBI is now working on updating billboards to reflect progress in the search for Yingying Zhang.

The agency is using billboards around the area to reach people who may know something. Zhang has been missing for 19 days.

Billboards featuring Zhang and a black Saturn Astra will soon have the car removed from the graphic.

Adams Outdoor Advertising is using five of nine digital billboards, rotating an image of Zhang from 6 am - midnight. It means, at each location, Zhang is shown about 810 times a day.

FBI finds vehicle missing Chinese student was last seen entering

Authorities on Tuesday announced they found the vehicle in question, though declined to offer any additional details on the matter.

Following the discovery, the Chinese Deputy Consul General in Chicago, Yu Peng, said his department has been working closely with the school, the police and the FBI, the BBC reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member