Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #2 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may have been stated. Apologies only read two pages. Has anyone looked into what project in natural resource agriculture she was working on? Would it have made a negative impact on any person or company? Could someone want her for her knowledge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish they'd come out with ANY statement at this point.

I can't imagine how frustrated her family is. Do you think they've given her family any other indication as to what is going on? Probably not much info if any has been given to them, but I just can't imagine how horrible it would be to know nothing about the investigation in to where your loved one might be.

I'm curious. Is this normal in kidnappings? Doesn't the LE share some things with family. I would think there would be some international goings on to be happening too.

Would the Chinese Embassy be involved in any way? Assist the family..laison to the family?

CNN Article from today titled: Missing student's family has theories on disappearance

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/29/us/chinese-scholar-disappearance-family-speaks/index.html

Hmm, the family and father mention several times there that she assured them it was very safe in the US. That lends more credence to the theory that, however cautious she was in China, she was not as cautious in the US and thus may have gotten into a stranger's car. I'm guessing the driver pulled up to her, asked if she was lost or something of the sort, she said she was running late, and he offered a ride. I'm also guessing she was using her 2 min chat with him to assess his personality and allayed any concerns she had.

This may have been stated. Apologies only read two pages. Has anyone looked into what project in natural resource agriculture she was working on? Would it have made a negative impact on any person or company? Could someone want her for her knowledge?

She hadn't even began her Ph.D. She was a top-tier student, but still a student. Nobody is going to go after a student for research, they'd go after a professor. Even then, something like that is in the realms of movies unless we're talking about nuclear weapons research or something. For plant work, there's very few people in the world who know something exclusively, and none of them are students. The field thrives on publishing and sharing information.

She hadn't even began her Ph.D. She was a top-tier student, but still a student. Nobody is going to go after a student for research, they'd go after a professor. Even then, something like that is in the realms of movies unless we're talking about nuclear weapons research or something. For plant work, there's very few people in the world who know something exclusively, and none of them are students. The field thrives on publishing and sharing information.

Thank you. :)

I imagine they found DNA, a scent, and/or her belongings in the vehicle. Perhaps the vehicle had been ditched somewhere, thus no info on the driver. Either they can't find him or don't know who he is (stolen, switched plates, etc)

There are some nice pictures on Kaylee Hartung's twitter if someone would be kind to post them please. Looks like a lot of people at that event and it's nice to see.

There are some nice pictures on Kaylee Hartung's twitter if someone would be kind to post them please. Looks like a lot of people at that event and it's nice to see.

Here is a link to the tweet with the pictures:

[video=twitter;880576259578892288]https://twitter.com/KayleeHartung/status/880576259578892288[/video]

:grouphug: Heather, please believe that not all persons attending this forum think the same way or register things in their minds the same way, or at the same speed. I can see that it frustrates you. I think our minds are trying so hard to make sense of things that just don't make sense. We don't have all the information to make these analyses, so all we have to calculate the mysteries is our own life experiences and knowledge base of what we may have encountered previously. It is so obvious that Yingying is happy, loving and loyal and her family very much adores her - as she does them. She would not intentionally worry her family. Every single one of her actions in life proves her adoration for her loved ones and for herself, and she has not done anything that would indicate otherwise. She is a beautiful and amazing young woman who just somehow ended up in a bad situation. We will find her.

Thank you so much for your kind words. You have no idea how much I need that. Let's hope she's safe!

Somewhere in one of the news text online it mention she left China also for a conference in Holland.
Maybe someone she knew from that conference? Maybe they stay in touch via social media.
I think that piece of information is unconfirmed. I've heard about it but can't find any report or article on it.

I have to respectfully disagree with the "none of them are students" portion of this. Professors actually tend to do less and less research as they progress in the field and focus on grantsmanship, mentoring, and other academic pursuits, especially in laboratory scientific fields. Students learn the new techniques and do the research, and tend to know more results than their adviser. (Full disclosure: I went through the grad school/PhD track, and knew all kinds of techniques and information that my adviser did not- just trying to give young researchers as much credit as possible here!).

That being said, I think it was unlikely that she was targeted for her research. If this incident was academic-related at all, my feeling is that is was more personal and less research focused (although again, I personally think it's unlikely it was any of these).

Maybe she isn't aware or used to cars even having autolock, because I'm not from the US and I think it's the first time I'm hearing about it.

Also about the culture I'm pretty sure if I was studying in the US if someone pretended to be campus police and asked me if I needed a lift I probably would have said yes, specially if they showed me a badge, because I feel like foreigners, or at least people I know, feel like the US is a really really safe place, and specially college capuses. Where I live I don't even take cabs because of how dangerous it is for women, but in the US, specially if I hadn't been there for long I feel like I would be much more trusting, even with people I didn't know because of the way TV and movies portray life in the US.
You are absolutely right. For a country someone's never been to before, they usually learn about it from TV and movies.

She studied about natural resources/ecology back in China. And she mentioned about doing something related to broad spectrum biology in her Weibo account. You can find the translated post screenshot in Thread#1, on Page 49 or 50 I think.

SMS and other messaging services are different, yes. No clue if the victim has an iphone or which messaging service the victim utilized.

So what do you think is the implication of this? In my mind, it's just that she was at work or home on wifi, and then sent the last message when she was out. Is it as simple as that? I love learning about this stuff from people who know more than I do (which is most of you!).

You are absolutely right. For a country someone's never been to before, they usually learn about it from TV and movies.

I feel like people have a false sense of security when they take rides from strangers, thinking they are in public, and they can just jump out of the car if something bad happens. But criminals do have the ability to lock the car from the inside. Once you're in the vehicle, if you want out it may not be possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member