Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #3 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a guy who is intelligent, good-looking and highly educated so that makes it hard to figure out why he did this. I think his upbringing would say alot. Was he abused? Was he a stepchild? Was he adopted? Something made him a loner. JMO

I wonder where is head is now, as he has been sitting alone in a cell, without outside stimulation, phone, computer. Does he grasp the enormity of what he has done, terrorizing and taking another's life, the consequences?

People are leaving the court room now. 30 Minute hearing..

"Originally Posted by sadsnorlax
Is it just me or does anyone find the professors statement a bit inappropriate?"

Yes. Besides he taught/worked with him 4 years ago. Alot can happen to someone mentally in that time. Everyone that knew him probably would feel this way. This guy functioned pretty highly. This seems like a cya type of release.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I don't find it inappropriate- the prof has been hounded by media so sent out a blanket statement about his interactions/experience with the suspect. He was shocked and the suspect had been a good, seemingly normal student. Was he supposed to lie or something? I don't get it. What's so wrong with what was stated?

Please help me out here I'm trying to figure out what people are objecting to, because I just don't see it. I knew someone once who tried to kill a friend of mine. If someone had asked me about him in the aftermath, my response would have been similar- always a helpful neighbor, no red flags, had always been happy to see him etc. I wouldn't have lied and said "yeah, he seemed off or creepy".

Kaitlyn Connolly‏ @WCIA3Kaitlyn 2m2 minutes ago
More
BREAKING: bail was denied for Brendt Christensen @WCIA3

[video=twitter;882699953029750785]https://twitter.com/WCIA3Aaron/status/882699953029750785[/video]

[video=twitter;882699953029750785]https://twitter.com/WCIA3Aaron/status/882699953029750785[/video]

I was there. Lawyers tried to argue two reasons he should be granted bail:

1) He is not a danger to the community because he has no prior convictions

2) It is difficult for them to discuss evidence because he is housed 2 hours away (I mapped it and it's only one hour so....)

Obviously that didn't work

I was there. Lawyers tried to argue two reasons he should be granted bail:

1) He is not a danger to the community because he has no prior convictions

2) It is difficult for them to discuss evidence because he is housed 2 hours away (I mapped it and it's only one hour so....)

Obviously that didn't work

Was he there today? What was his demeanor like?

Is it just me or does anyone find the professors statement a bit inappropriate?"

I don't find it inappropriate- the prof has been hounded by media so sent out a blanket statement about his interactions/experience with the suspect. He was shocked and the suspect had been a good, seemingly normal student. Was he supposed to lie or something? I don't get it. What's so wrong with what was stated?

Please help me out here I'm trying to figure out what people are objecting to, because I just don't see it. I knew someone once who tried to kill a friend of mine. If someone had asked me about him in the aftermath, my response would have been similar- always a helpful neighbor, no red flags, had always been happy to see him etc. I wouldn't have lied and said "yeah, he seemed off or creepy".

I'm not bothered at all by the professors saying BC seemed normal. It's very different from what some faculty members said about James Holmes (the Aurora, CO theater killer) and Holmes had a lengthy history of mental health issues and doctor's visits going back to childhood. All of that seemed to mitigate his sentence for the jury in his case.

I think it's good that the professors thought BC is normal because it makes it harder for the defense to try to say BC is mentally ill or has a history of mental problems.

Yeah, I totally agree. The department likely doesn't want people speculating that there were red flags- that puts them on the hook for not helping him more or warning someone if they thought he was actually going to harm someone. Obviously, Yingying and her family are impacted by his act more than anyone else, but think of the impacts on people in his department- they are probably being interviewed and I'm sure his records from the school were obtained and, if he still had an office, I'm sure they've been there. I don't see why the department wouldn't release this kind of statement to the media.

ETA: I realized now you all are talking about the statement from his professor at Wisconsin, not previous statements from the department at Illinois. One of the Illinois profs made similar comments a few days back: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/latest-man-held-scholars-kidnapping-grad-student-48392179

[video=twitter;882702027742208000]https://twitter.com/news_gazette/status/882702027742208000[/video]

Has this article been posted yet?

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/lo...edly-described-characteristics-ideal-victim-v

— While under surveillance during a Thursday vigil for Ms. Zhang outside Krannert Center for the Performing Arts, Christensen allegedly explained the “characteristics of an ideal victim.”

— He was allegedly captured on an audio recording picking out other potential victims at that same public vigil.

— There also exists audio of Christensen describing how Ms. Zhang fought and resisted when he brought her back to his Champaign apartment.

— He made a threat to the safety of another person to whom he provided incriminating information.

As for his demeanor, it seemed unchanged from Monday.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/lo...edly-described-characteristics-ideal-victim-v

Among the most serious allegations laid out in the federal criminal complaint, not known publicly until Wednesday:— While under surveillance during a Thursday vigil for Ms. Zhang outside Krannert Center for the Performing Arts, Christensen allegedly explained the “characteristics of an ideal victim.”
— He was allegedly captured on an audio recording picking out other potential victims at that same public vigil.
— There also exists audio of Christensen describing how Ms. Zhang fought and resisted when he brought her back to his Champaign apartment.
— He made a threat to the safety of another person to whom he provided incriminating information.

oh my god...

One thing am curious about: he was on SO MANY dating sites, yet I don’t recall hearing about anyone who ever hooked up with him… people who knew of him or crossed paths with him along the way have come forward, but no one who really socialized one-on-one with him much… did he strike out on all those sites, or are they just too embarrassed to admit knowing him or what? I mean I’d like to hear more from people who had personal experience with him; so far all we're hearing is, there were no 'signs' there?

Wondering the exact same thing; I fail to see what is innapropriate or unnecessary about the statement.

Personally, I don't find anything inappropriate in the content of his statement. I just don't think it was necessary to make a statement at all. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arin32