Illegal for restaurants to serve the obese

ahahaha--This is too funny--Don't they have better things to do than introduce these absurd bills/ and I don't think the restaurants would be too keen on losing their best customers--anyway, like others have said, if they can't eat out, they'll just gorge themselves at home--Another thing is, this could be a racist thing--Mississippi has one of the highest percentage black populations, and black women are even more obese than whites--This whole thing is such a joke

This does not surprise me at all.

They just passed a law this past summer about wearing baggy pants where your underwear shows, you will be fined. Now I don't like to see anyones underwear, but I thought to myself "where does it end". These folks in the government offices decide they don't like something or it's bad for someone's health they think it needs to be regulated. People have lost the right to decide what is or isn't good for them.

How will that bill help? Obese people can go to grocery store and get all the junk food they want. Or will they be regulating how much you can buy at the grocery stores? If there is a skinny person and an obese person in the car, how will they handle that?

These folks need to focus on more important things; such as child abuse, child molesters, the homeless and animal cruelty. Something that we actually need the legislators to worry about. :twocents:
--well, the baggypants law was actually a good idea--I'm all for that, even though I haven't seen it down here much

This does not surprise me at all.

They just passed a law this past summer about wearing baggy pants where your underwear shows, you will be fined. Now I don't like to see anyones underwear, but I thought to myself "where does it end". These folks in the government offices decide they don't like something or it's bad for someone's health they think it needs to be regulated. People have lost the right to decide what is or isn't good for them.

How will that bill help? Obese people can go to grocery store and get all the junk food they want. Or will they be regulating how much you can buy at the grocery stores? If there is a skinny person and an obese person in the car, how will they handle that?

These folks need to focus on more important things; such as child abuse, child molesters, the homeless and animal cruelty. Something that we actually need the legislators to worry about. :twocents:
---ahahaha: "If there's skinny person and a fat person in the car"--good one blondie! just shows how dumb this bill is

--well, the baggypants law was actually a good idea--I'm all for that, even though I haven't seen it down here much

---ahahaha: "If there's skinny person and a fat person in the car"--good one blondie! just shows how dumb this bill is
SO , if the bill suits your fancy, it is ok for the tax dollars to get spent on peoples rights being taken away- and just for the record- I hate baggy pants too- but the politicians getting involved in ridiculous=- that is a parents job- not my tax dollar

These proposed laws are concerning to me and, in my opinion, amount to the inappropriate use of our tax dollars and violations of our civil rights. Who determines who's rights should take precedent over someone else's?

If sagging pants are banned, will young women still be allowed to show excess cleavage and wear low riding jeans with their thongs exposed? I don't like seeing that any more than I do the sagging pants, but who am I to determine they all can't dress like they do?

I guess I'm just wondering where it will end.

Best wishes,

Mickie

IMO, and only IMO, mississippi's obesity problem is the fact that the people are so poor that their meals are fattening, because fattening foods are cheap. i doubt that this will pass (i hope not, as its stupid) but they going at it wrong. if it does pass, people will just have to stay home and eat beans and rice and cornbread...

Mira - I think you have an excellent point here. However, beans and rice and cornbread can be prepared to reduce calories and fat. So this is really about education and maybe the state getting involved to offer more after school sports programs, walking trails and other ways to just get exercise without having to spend at the gym, so to speak.

I don't know much about Mississippi, but if Mississippi already has all these things, maybe the state could just advertise better? This is seriously about education - no bacon in the green beans, no adding additional fat or salt to everything.

There has been a series of "promos" on PBS/Seseme Street about the importance of exercise and spots that encourage the kids to get up and dance around, etc.

I think a serious publicity campaign about exercise and reducing fat in foods would go alot further than embrassing and humiliating people and giving other people the right to refuse service and call names.

My mom always taught me to be kind to others and to emphasize with their uncomfortableness, NOT to create it. A person such as I would never be able to work at a resturant because I would never be able to turn people away based on some stupid rule for determing whether they deserved to eat or not. :eek: :mad: :eek: :mad:

Salem

You have got to be kidding me! OMG! This is THE MOST ridiculous thing I've ever heard of.. oh Lawdy! They are certainly setting themselves up for lawsuits.. I wonder how much the people weigh that even thought of introducing this bill?? Maybe by public health standards THEY are obese too! Maybe their BMI is to high?

Completely laughable and completely sickening IMO !

A group of eight comes into a restaurant. One is turned away because he/she is too heavy. Do you think the others will stay and just let that one wait in the car. No Way! These guys should have a mandatory course on freedom. What makes them think they have a right to take away basic rights of others! Someone should start a recall and get someone in there capable of doing the job.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
So who working in the food service industry is qualified to determine who is obese? I just can't see a doctor dressed in "hooters" hostess attire waiting to interview each customer to see if their obese before their seated in their place.:eek:
You gave me my first good laugh of the day!! Good one, BB!!

The people responsible for this should watch out for the Obese to rise up and vote them right out of office!! :bang:

These proposed laws are concerning to me and, in my opinion, amount to the inappropriate use of our tax dollars and violations of our civil rights. Who determines who's rights should take precedent over someone else's?

If sagging pants are banned, will young women still be allowed to show excess cleavage and wear low riding jeans with their thongs exposed? I don't like seeing that any more than I do the sagging pants, but who am I determine they all can't dress like they do?

I guess I'm just wondering where it will end.

Best wishes,

Mickie

I hear ya! If you take away rights from one group, the others can't be far behind.

Absurdity at its finest. Just who exactly is going to make the decision that a customer is obese. Unless every restaurant has a license physician on staff at all hours and facilities to weigh and test each customer, there is no way to make the decision that someone is obese vs overweight vs pleasantly plumb. It will never pass into law and it is scary to think that it got this far.

There are effective ways to help diners with their health and to keep restaurants from killing us with fat and calories. Force all restaurants to post the calories and fat content, cholesterol, etc. of everything they serve. McDonalds and other fast food chains are not the only culprits. The chain restaurants are horrible! I saw a comparison of foods on the Today show recently and it was often better to eat two Big Macs than many of the single meals or appetizers served at restaurants like TGIF. If they had to reveal the nutritional information of their dishes, most restaurants would alter their menus and produce healthier foods. Most customers will opt out of a 3000 calorie meal if they have that information.

This drives me crazy!!! It's not only the obese that have health problems!! My sister is a size 6 and has cholesterol in the upper 200's and high blood pressure!!! She'll be allowed to eat fast junk food, but someone that is obese with low cholesterol and regular blood pressure wouldn't be able to?

Doesn't make sense. Our tax dollars at work. Sheesh.

What about our right in the US for "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness"??

I say each person is responsible for their own health issues. It's none of anyone else's business.

Some people truly have an aversion to fat people. I think it's a "holier than thou" attitude. Fat people are one of the most discriminated upon groups in the world.

I say "Let them eat cake", it's none of my business!:furious:

hummm, Mississippi's moronic leaders can gingerly kiss my fat *advertiser censored**. :crazy:
What in heavens name makes Mississippi's legislators think they can tell people when they are too fat to be served? !!:confused: :furious:

Wow - I've seen very few threads here where every single poster seemed to be on the exact same page, but this MS wingnut has united us!

ahahaha--This is too funny--Don't they have better things to do than introduce these absurd bills/ and I don't think the restaurants would be too keen on losing their best customers--anyway, like others have said, if they can't eat out, they'll just gorge themselves at home--Another thing is, this could be a racist thing--Mississippi has one of the highest percentage black populations, and black women are even more obese than whites--This whole thing is such a joke

link please to black women are more obese than white woman

Wow - I've seen very few threads here where every single poster seemed to be on the exact same page, but this MS wingnut has united us!

SCM, do you remember the thread about the guy that wanted to adopt a child but the judge supposedly told him he was too obese? I thought everyone would agree on that thread, but they didn't. I'm honestly surprised at the way this thread is going!

I think it is about time there were laws like this.

okay jkidding..but i could not resist.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wulongfei125
Back