Improper rullings by Burnett regarding witnesses?

Read Ofshe's testimony in the Misskelley trial. If you pay special attention to the bench conferences, you will see that the judge eventually bases his opinion to not allow Ofshe to testify as to the coerced and involuntary nature of Misskelley's statement on the fact that Ofshe's testimony will contradict the judge's own opinion. That is not basing a ruling on law but on a feeling that his (the judge's) opinion is not being accepted without questioning. This is only one example.

You may disagree, but that's the trouble with this case. Those who have followed it for years disagree on what the trial proved or didn't prove. Simply saying that "the jury found them guilty" is unacceptable. Juries make mistakes. Judges make mistakes and get petty - usually when their opinion is questioned, which is what happened here.

Since Stidham stated, initially, that the defense would be that Jessie wasn't there and that his initial statement was "coerced and involuntary," Burnett's rulings on Ofshe's testimony did hamstring the defense. (See the October 19, 1993 pre-trial hearing for Stidham's statement of initial defense.) By not allowing Ofshe to testify as to the nature of the "confession," Jessie was denied his Constitutional right, under the Sixth Amendment, to a fair trial.

Also, Burnett ruled against the defense on the following issue during Ofshe's testimony. This is the day after ruling for the prosecution on essentially the same line of questioning during Holmes' testimony, if I'm reading it correctly. I have the bit from the Holmes testimony posted below as well.
(Fingers crossed that I get it right on my first attempt at bolding portions of the text.)

-------------------
Stidham: Doctor, is it possible for police interrogation tactics to produce a false confession?

Ofshe: Yes. I don't know of any -- any researcher, any scholar in this area -- who works in this area who does not acknowledge that false confessions come about in the course of police interrogation, and in fact, a few years ago there was a landmark study of miscarriages of Justice in capital cases in American history. A study done by Professors Bideau (phonetic) of the University of Michigan and Ratalid (phonetic) of the University of Florida published in the Stanford Law Review.

In this study they identified three hundred and fifty examples of miscarriages -- false convictions in capital cases in American history. And using the standards that they developed to judge whether or not a particular conviction was a miscarriage of justice -- in other words an improper conviction -- they identified three hundred and fifty examples in which by their criteria, which often had to do with the real killer being found, the person ultimately being pardoned -- standards of that sort -- they identified three hundred and fifty examples where the jury had found someone guilty who was in fact innocent.

In that study nineteen percent of the miscarriages were caused by false confessions given by---

MR. DAVIS Your Honor---

BY THE WITNESS:

Ofshe: ---the suspects.

MR. DAVIS: ---I have an objection to make and i think it would be more appropriate if I made it at the bench rather than---

THE COURT: All right.

(THE FOLLOWING DISCUSSION WAS HELD AT THE BENCH OUT OF THE HEARING OF THE JURY. )

MR. DAVIS: The Court laid down certain ground rules and now we're talking about percentages in terms of false -- false confessions. We aren't talking about opinion.

THE COURT: I'm interpreting this as an -- as an attempt to -- to use coercive techniques on the jury to suggest to them that this is a false confession and that there is danger on their considering the confession and that it suggests to them that they have to be very careful not to make a three hundred and fifty error ,whatever the percentages were.

MR. FOGLEMAN: I thought this would -- what they did is exactly what the Court had told them not to do.

MR. STIDHAM: No, your Honor, I asked the witness if there were empirical scientific studies and he was simply relating those to the jury.

THE COURT: Well, I don't care. You're still making inferences that by these statements that this particular statement was false and untrue.

MR. CROW: Your Honor, if I can interject. Yesterday I objected to questions that -- where Mr. Holmes stated that ninety-nine percent were real or something like that. That's empirical data that now the shoe is on the other foot.

THE COURT: Well, no, in that particular case I think you offered it or it came up through your all's testimony and he brought it out---

MR. CROW: No.

THE COURT: ---is the way I recall it.

MR. CROW: I don't think that's correct, your Honor.

THE COURT: Well, I may be wrong on that. This is totally different. This has done just exactly what I indicate I wasn't going to allow.

MR. DAVIS: Judge, and that's what's going to happen because of this witness as you surmised. He's very astute. He's very smart, and he's going -- he's going to slip around the ground rules and we're sitting here talking to jury in terms of percentages of cases in which there's been a false confession.

THE COURT: I'm going to sustain the objection.

(RETURN TO OPEN COURT. )

THE COURT: Objection sustained.

--------------------

During the Misskelley trial, Davis is questioning Warren Holmes and there is this exchange:

----------------
Q: Now, there’s certainly nothing unusual about a defendant recanting a confession, is there?

A: No.

Q: In fact, wouldn’t you agree that in 99% of the cases where a defendant has confessed to a crime and they then recanted, in 99% of those cases, the defendant is guilty?

A: Yes.

Q: And, in fact, you teach in your seminars, don’t you, that you don’t expect defendants to keep reiterating their confessions?

A: True.

Q: In other words, once somebody tells their involvement in a crime, then you don’t expect them to come back and tell other people, correct?

A: Correct.

Q: And, in fact, it would be the rare exception if they did that, correct?

A: Correct.

Q: So, in this case, this defendant recanting his confession….

Crow: [interrupting] I’m going to object, your Honor. Can we approach the bench?

Bench Conference:

Crow: I don’t care what the percentages are as to what other people’s [unintelligible] guilt or innocence. That’s showing other people’s innocence---guilt or innocence to infer that this client—this individual is guilty [unintelligible].

Davis: He’s indicated his opinion.

Crow: Yes, your Honor [unintelligible] can not be shown [unintelligible] guilt of Mr. Misskelley. Just like the—just like evidence of a crime that afternoon can not show guilt or innocence of Mr. Misskelley. I think [unintelligible] it’s the exact same thing, your Honor [unintelligible] we have a rule.

The Court: Well, I mean I don’t think he’s capable of testifying whether or not the statement was true or false.

Crow: [interrupting] Right, your Honor.

The Court: [continuing] or whether or not Mr..—Mr. Misskelley is guilty or innocent, if that’s what you’re saying.

Crow: Yes, your Honor but I don’t want like him testifying unless the response is [unintelligible] other people are or not, it’s not the issue in this court, your Honor.

The Court: Well, but the issue here is this—this guy is an expert in interrogation and interrogation techniques and the issue that you’ve raised is a false confession…

Crow: [interrupting] Yes, your Honor…

The Court: [continuing] an untrue confession and I’m not really sure you raised that but, at least, a coerced confession.

Stidham: It’s certainly outside the scope of direct.

The Court: I don’t think so. I think—don’t, don’t go too far in that area but I’m going to allow you to pursue it.

Crow: [unintelligible]not the right rule in my mind but is it 404 [unintelligible]?

The Court: 404? 404b? That’s in…

Crow: [interrupting] [unintelligible] maybe I’ve the wrong one…

The Court: I’ve got it right here. I think it’s 405.

Crow: It may be, your Honor. [Pause]. That’s not it.

The Court: That’s 404.

Crow: It’s just like evidence of a crime whether it be of this defendant or another defendant, your Honor, are not admissible to prove guilt or innocence but—but only--only admissible to prove what’s in the rule, the guilt or innocence of other individuals in Mr. Holmes’ career. He’s---what’s he’s proffering the question--the way he’s proffering…

The Court: [interrupting] But this isn’t character evidence.

Crow: I understand that. The way he’s proffering the question is “99% of the people who confess are guilty.” Now that’s….

Davis: [interrupting] This guy’s an expert in the field.

Crow: Yes, but a lot of people are, doesn’t mean [unintelligible].

Fogleman: [unintelligible] Listen, he’s trying to testify…

The Court: [interrupting] I’m going to allow you to pursue that line of questioning but I don’t want you to attempt to elicit from him whether or not the statement was true or false and whether or not the defendant was guilty or innocent and I’ll sustain an objection on those points.

Stidham: Thank you, your Honor.

The Court: You're welcome.
--------------------------

Initially, it appears that Burnett is agreeing with the defense, but then he goes ahead and allows the prosecution to pursue the same line of questioning again, overruling when defense makes the same objection again.

-------------
Q: In your lectures to law-enforcement officers, you specifically address that area regarding matters that are unresolved or that are inconsistent concerning statements by witnesses, do you not?

A: That’s the nature of our existence. There’s always something you can’t resolve. There’s always the inexplicable.

Q: And, isn’t it true that in instances where a defen—defendant makes incriminating admissions regarding his involvement, that it’s your opinion that 99% of the time those people are guilty?

Crow: Your Honor, I’m going to raise the same objection. I feel that’s a totally improper question.

Davis: Your Honor, I’m—I’m asking him his—his opinion regarding that.

Stidham: Your Honor, he should ask him his opinion regarding the defendant.

The Court: I know…

Fogleman: [interrupting] The Court’s already ruled that’s improper.

The Court: Go ahead. I’m going to allow it. Overruled.

Holmes: I agree.

By Davis:

Q: So you would agree that if people make incriminating admissions regarding their involvement, then 99% of the time they’re guilty?
-------------

Good grief. I posted that all from my phone and it was a pain. I hope the way I presented it makes sense. I'm new and still don't know how to separate portions into those nifty grey boxes. If someone could let me know how to do that from my phone, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

primitive,

My inbox is filling up and I need to purge but don't have time now. Hope you don't mind a "public" response to your question! To use an "outside the board" quote, open a bracket ([) then type the word quote then close the bracket (]). Then, copy and paste the quote. Then open another bracket, hit the backslash (/), type the word quote and close the bracket. When quoting another poster, simply hit the "Quote" button under the post and add your comment below their quote (which will appear in the reply box). It's that simple! If you're using multiple quotes, there is a short cut, but I don't understand it yet. Maybe someone else can explain it to both of us!

Primitive,

You are correct. He allowed the prosecution to enter data from other cases on how many times the suspect was actually guilty despite recanting a prior confession. He then refused to allow the defense to enter similar statistics of cases where an innocent person was wrongfully convicted that involved false confessions. Further, whether or not Ofshe could testify to those numbers, the simple fact that the prosecution opened the door should automatically allow the defense to refute that.

The above snippets of the trial are unbelievable....

The above snippets of the trial are unbelievable....

There are many more such snippets. If you haven't had the chance to read the trial transcripts, I highly recommend them. Also, take a look at Hobbs' Pasdar deposition and 2007 interview with the wmpd. This case has been mishandled from Day One!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
?Unicorn/Fkboi?
Back