GUILTY IN - DARREN DEON VANN, 43, Gary, body count at seven, more expected

1DO7EjX.jpg

http://abc7chicago.com/news/3-more-bodies-found-in-gary;-total-of-7-discovered/357605/

Do we have a thread yet for sleuthing possible Austin victims? No way was he inactive the whole time he lived there.

7 women's bodies found in northwestern Indiana linked to possible serial killer in custody
Published October 20, 2014 - FoxNews.com

[...]
"The suspect Hammond arrested for the Motel 6 murder is an admitted serial killer," McDermott wrote. "The suspect gave up the location of a body in Gary that was confirmed found where he said it would be."

The flurry of grisly discoveries began when Hammond police responded to a call of an unresponsive person Friday evening at a Motel 6 and found the strangled body of a woman identified as Afrika Hardy, 19. As part of the investigation into her death, police executed a search warrant on a home in Gary, where they also took the person of interest into custody, Hammond Police Lt. Richard Hoyda told the Chicago Tribune in an email.

[...]
A spokesman for the coroner's office said Monday that Hardy and Jones died of ligature strangulation. The corner was conducting autopsies on the other bodies. "We're actually doing the forensic work, carefully identifying with clothing or any tattoos," the spokesman said.
Police: Man being questioned about deaths of 7 women a convicted sex offender
By Kim Geiger, Alexandra Chachkevitch, Chicago Tribune reporters
October 20, 2014 10:42 AM

A man being questioned about the deaths of seven women found in Gary and Hammond over the weekend is a convicted sex offender who moved to the area from Texas about 10 years ago, police said Monday.

Hammond Mayor Thomas McDermott Jr., in a posting on Facebook, said the suspect is an "admitted serial killer" who may be linked to murders as far back as 1994.

[...]
Authorities have scheduled a news conference for noon Monday at the Hammond police station.
Man confesses to murders, leads police to the bodies of at least 7 women in Indiana
By Fred Barbash and Abby Phillip October 20 at 12:09 PM

[...]
McDermott said police are also investigating the man’s ties to murders dating back 20 years or more.

“There are court records indicating that he was here back in 2004 [and] 2005, but there are also records that he was in Austin, Texas, and so he appears to be a person who has moved back and forth between a number of states,” said Freeman-Wilson, according to NBC Chicago.

I know its a long shot but he is 3 hrs away from Bloomington. Could one of these bodies be Lauren S?

Do we have a thread yet for sleuthing possible Austin victims? No way was he inactive the whole time he lived there.
You can add their names to this thread, mayqueen. We won't open a separate thread at this time. That could change as details emerge, but for now, this is it.

Thanks.

You can add their names to this thread, mayqueen. We won't open a separate thread at this time. That could change as details emerge, but for now, this is it.

Thanks.

Thank you, bessie. :)

I don't frequent these boards, or serial killer topics that much, but is it normal for a serial killer to offer information of other bodies so freely?

I wonder if Afrikka being pregnant triggered this whole getting caught, confessions, etc.

I don't frequent these boards, or serial killer topics that much, but is it normal for a serial killer to offer information of other bodies so freely?

Not in my experience. I get the sense that he was tired, that he was ready to be caught. It seems like while being questioned about Afrikka's death, he kinda just gave up and let it all out.

Some do, for various reasons. This guy claims he wants to be executed -- not all that unusual. Eventually the burden becomes too much to bear. For others, it's the notoriety of being a prolific SK that influences them to talk. Some think they can cut a deal or get preferential treatment because of the information they hold. At the end of the day, there's nothing normal about any of it. But I know what you meant. ;)

He was incarcerated in Texas October 2009-July 5, 2013, so we can rule out any missing persons from that time period.

U0WXQUl.jpg

Texas Department of Criminal Justice mug shot of Darren Deon Vann, who served a five-year sentence for sexual assault in Travis County

[...]
Texas Department of Criminal Justice spokesman Robert Hurst says Vann served a five-year sentence for sexual assault in Travis County, arriving at TDCJ in October 2009. He was discharged from TDCJ when his sentence expired on July 5, 2013. During his time there, he was incarcerated in several units of the TDCJ.

http://kxan.com/2014/10/20/indiana-mayor-suspect-in-7-deaths-is-texas-sex-offender/

Some do, for various reasons. This guy claims he wants to be executed -- not all that unusual. Eventually the burden becomes too much to bear. For others, it's the notoriety of being a prolific SK that influences them to talk. Some think they can cut a deal or get preferential treatment because of the information they hold. At the end of the day, there's nothing normal about any of it. But I know what you meant. ;)

Well hopefully that means he will enter a guilty plea and tell about 100% of his activities. As horrible as this is, I'm thinking it will bring some long awaited news to many families :(

From your link
"Hammond Mayor Thomas McDermott Jr. called the person of interest a “serial killer” in a Facebook post Sunday afternoon and said he has “admitted to a couple of homicides in Hammond,” some of which date back two decades. He also said in his posts that the man is a convicted sex offender."

It really bugs me that this man was a sex offender and they still did not keep an eye on him. What a fail IMO. They cant be so busy in Gary Indiana as to not be able to have some type of GOOD watch dogs on these sex offenders.....this just happens way too much IMO. (Sex offenders committing other crimes because they are not being watched well enough).

Respectfully, LE is in fact extremely busy in Gary. My in-laws live a few miles away so I'm familiar with the area from numerous visits. It is, unfortunately, a city plagued by poverty and the crime that follows poverty. For some information on Gary's homicide and LE problem, please see the links below.

http://money.cnn.com/gallery/real_estate/2014/02/03/dangerous-cities/7.html
http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch...les-with-murder-rate-police-chief-reaches-out
http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/...cle_daf2640f-6cdd-5533-a94a-f2ec386d84fd.html
http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/midwest/2012/11/30/272388.htm

Well hopefully that means he will enter a guilty plea and tell about 100% of his activities. As horrible as this is, I'm thinking it will bring some long awaited news to many families :(

Sadly, although it's not unusual for a serial killer arrested for one murder to confess to more, they often leave out or deny ones they are 'ashamed' of; the underage victim, the family member; or the one who was not a prostitute but a storeworker, for example.

They reveal a warped awareness of their 'public image' with they way they do that, I think.

Last seen at a hotel on 1-35 & Rundberg in 2006

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/980/29/
More on Roxanne Paltauf here. She was last seen in the hotel with her bf.
[...]

The wooded area sits just a few blocks away from the Budget Inn near Interstate 35 and Rundberg Lane where Paltauf was last seen. A Facebook page setup by her family says she was at the hotel with her boyfriend on July 7, 2006.

She left the room and was never seen again.

http://kxan.com/2014/03/06/new-lead-on-roxanne-paltaufs-missing-person-case/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lilhuda
Back