IN IN - Diamond Bynum, 21, & King Walker, 2, Gary, 25 July 2015

I read about this case on Dateline while looking for another missing person. I figured WS would have a thread on them but it is frustratingly small. I've just read through the thread and find it disappointing that when news organizations put the story in the public eye on the anniversary they get things wrong. A couple of pages ago, a news article stated they both had a nap and when the step mom woke up in the afternoon they were gone (every initial article said the stepmom put them down for a nap and when she awoke at 11 am they were both gone). That's just sloppy journalism. Either that or the story is changing.

There are a few facts I'd like to know. One, is that the dad, Eugene said they were both at home when he left for work. Did he work an early or night shift? If he left early in the morning say around 5 am did King and Diamond get up to keep him company? Is that why he knows they were there? Did the stepmom and D and K both go back to bed for a nap? When were the police were called to state the two were missing? Did the police initially think that a 21 year old accompanying a 2 year old meant that there was no concern for alarm? Did they understand that Diamond had a serious medical condition that made her intellectual age that of a young child? That is wasn't a young woman missing with a baby but essentially two kids missing?

Diamond's father stated that Diamond was on medication and that without it her behavior changed for the worse. He said she'd scream a lot. I don't see any situation where some misguided individual would take them in and have no issues with a baby and a woman with serious mental and physical handicaps.

It appears they weren't seen by anyone when they left the house. Zip. Nada. I think a very small, unnaturally obese woman with a bowed leg walking with a pronounced limp in the company of a baby would be very noticable. I looked at the street they lived on on Google. The imagery on Matthews St is from 2018. Moving southbound on the street you see modest homes. Most are kept neat and tidy and are obviously lived in but there are vacant and abandoned buildings. The further south on Matthews the homes are still well kept with larger lots and beautiful mature trees. You only need to walk two city blocks south to come to a densely forested area. Beyond the densely wooded area which appears to be around 300 to 400 feet deep are train tracks. I presume LE and family members and search teams searched this area as well as abandoned buildings.

I personally don't see abandoned buildings as possible areas the two went on their own volition. I doubt Diamond would be able to physically manoeuvre through overgrown weeds, broken doors and windows. I think she'd be afraid to go into an abandoned building. It's possible she may have been coerced into a building, however. I also think she might have made a racket if she felt threatened or afraid.

To the east of the heavily wooded area leading to the train tracks is Brunswick Park. There are several preserves in Gary Indiana that have some interesting topographical areas that are remnant dune and swale areas. They are alternating areas of sand dunes, previously mentioned by a poster and marshes. They can be affected by fluctuating water levels. Indianapolis, on July 25 2015 had a record storm leaving over 5 inches of rain. I know storms can be localized but I wonder if Gary got a storm that night, too raising water levels.

If Diamond had uncontrollable eating urges did her family take her to fast food places she would be familiar with? So that she would be able to find her way there and back? The tracking dogs picked up their scent at the heavily wooded area close to her dad's home but the other scent location was a significant distance away. And I don't see any fast food outlets. Surely if they walked nearly two miles to 23rd and Whitcomb someone would have remembered them. There's a 24 hour daycare centre at that location. I wonder if King was ever there and that's how they picked up the scent. How many days after they went missing was that search made?

@branmuffin (cool name, btw!)

For me, I think one of the most baffling things about this case is that no one saw or noticed D & K, two people, one a child, one with the behavior of a child, out and about in the middle of the day. Visually, each had very noticeable physically characteristics that would have stood out and caught the attention of someone. But even if they didn't draw someone's eye, at some point, one or both of them would have become vocal. Very vocal. Either with hunger, or some other physical or emotional discomfort, one of them would have started crying. So someone would have heard one or both of them. That no one did leads me to believe they didn't head off in the direction to places where they had a high chance of being seen, like a lot of traffic, residences, or businesses. I truly don't think they could have gone far without someone realizing something was off about the pair of them. Unless they got separated right off the bat once they got outside.

Aug 19 2022
1661742349776.png
An age progression photo shows what King Walker might look like today. (National Center for Missing & Exploited Children)

''CHICAGO
- A Gary family is renewing calls for the return of their missing loved ones.

A grandmother of a missing Gary boy was at Daley plaza Friday calling for awareness for her grandson and other missing children.''
''The boy's grandmother says he left home with his aunt, Diamond Bynum, who has special needs. She was 21 years old at the time.

The two still haven't been located.''
1661742447308.png
Diamond Bynum (National Center for Missing & Exploited Children)

Has the family check Namus to see if Diamond was found possibly separate from King? They aren't necessarily together after this many years. I would hate to see something bad happen to 2 individuals so innocent. Namus search might need to be done on the unidentified for IL and IN. Maybe King was taken from Diamond. Also any homeless shelters might need to be checked again.

I started to check NAMUS but it's tedious work, going thru individuals that might match.
Has the family check Namus to see if Diamond was found possibly separate from King? They aren't necessarily together after this many years. I would hate to see something bad happen to 2 individuals so innocent. Namus search might need to be done on the unidentified for IL and IN. Maybe King was taken from Diamond. Also any homeless shelters might need to be checked again.

I started to check NAMUS but it's tedious work, going thru individuals that might match.
I could be wrong, but I believe both Diamond and King have DNA profiles in CODIS by now. If one of them turned up as a set of unidentified remains, or if they each did, but in separate locations, their DNA would hit in NaMus as long as the agencies who found them submitted the DNA of their remains to CODIS.
Also, CODIS compares the DNA of unidentified remains against each other, too. At least that's what the NamUs rep told me. I asked because there are family groups and siblings who went missing together, but could have been separated.
So lets say neither of them had missing person DNA profiles and were found separately. There's a good chance they'd match as relatives of some sort, even as John and Jane Does. But two related sets of unidentified remains found in different jurisdictions matching each other depends on the different agencies submitting their DNA to CODIS. In some of the older cases, the investigators may hold the DNA locally. That's my take on things, based on my interactions with NamUs reps and previous cases. It's all subject to change, though.

I could be wrong, but I believe both Diamond and King have DNA profiles in CODIS by now. If one of them turned up as a set of unidentified remains, or if they each did, but in separate locations, their DNA would hit in NaMus as long as the agencies who found them submitted the DNA of their remains to CODIS.
Also, CODIS compares the DNA of unidentified remains against each other, too. At least that's what the NamUs rep told me. I asked because there are family groups and siblings who went missing together, but could have been separated.
So lets say neither of them had missing person DNA profiles and were found separately. There's a good chance they'd match as relatives of some sort, even as John and Jane Does. But two related sets of unidentified remains found in different jurisdictions matching each other depends on the different agencies submitting their DNA to CODIS. In some of the older cases, the investigators may hold the DNA locally. That's my take on things, based on my interactions with NamUs reps and previous cases. It's all subject to change, though.
Interesting but if in NAMUS, it would only show if investigators submitted DNA. How long does it take them to process the DNA. Some agencies take up to 6 months or a year because of the amount of samples they need to process.

I did look through Namus. The case # UP118124 matches part of her description but there is no photograph or reconstruction image for the subject.

Interesting. How long does an Agency take to process and submit the DNA. There is a long waiting list. Some agencies I know of take 6 months to a year to process. Some 2 weeks. If it was submitted at all. There is one in NamUs that might be a match - UP11824 but that's a long shot. It's a Michigan case. Do you know if law enforcement has received any other tips about where she might have gone?

DEC 5, 2022

Diamond Bynum and King Walker

diamond_bynum.jpg

On July 25, 2015, Diamond Bynum, 21, and her nephew, King Walker, 2, went missing from the house where Diamond lived with her father and stepmother in Gary, Indiana. Dateline spoke with Eugene Bynum Jr. one year after the disappearance. He said his wife, Susanne, Diamond and King had taken a nap that Saturday afternoon and when Susanne woke up the two were gone. The family had only recently moved to Gary.

king_walker.jpg

Eugene told Dateline his daughter has Prader-Willi syndrome, a condition characterized by slow mental development and an always-present state of hunger. The family believes Diamond took King for a walk and got lost. At their old home, Diamond was able to go on walks around their neighborhood because she knew the area and the neighbors were aware of her condition. Family members have spent more than seven years pleading with the public for any information they may have, but few clues have been uncovered.

A spokesperson for the Gary Police Department told Dateline in 2021 that the case is open and all tips are followed up on, but there have been no new developments. Friends and family still post on the ‘Help Find Diamond Bynum & King Walker’ Facebook page asking for help with their search. A $1,000 reward is being offered for their safe return. Today, Diamond would be 28 years old and King would be 9 years old. If you have any information regarding Diamond and King’s cases, please contact the Gary Police Department at (219) 881-1260.

NOV 3, 2023
NBC News - 10 YEARS OF MISSING IN AMERICA
[...]

The family had only recently moved to Gary. Eugene told Dateline his daughter has Prader-Willi syndrome, a condition characterized by slow mental development and an always-present state of hunger. The family believes Diamond took King for a walk and got lost. At their old home, Diamond was able to go on walks around their neighborhood because she knew the area and the neighbors were aware of her condition. ... Dateline received an email update from Commander Samuel Roberts of the Gary Police Department Public Information Office, who told Dateline that "the Bynum King case has been extensively investigated" and that the investigators "have and will continue to pursue any new leads they receive." Commander Roberts stated that "foul play is suspected in their disappearance" and that they "have identified persons of interest in this case," though they are not able to discuss that at this time. ...

[...]

NOV 3, 2023
NBC News - 10 YEARS OF MISSING IN AMERICA
[...]

The family had only recently moved to Gary. Eugene told Dateline his daughter has Prader-Willi syndrome, a condition characterized by slow mental development and an always-present state of hunger. The family believes Diamond took King for a walk and got lost. At their old home, Diamond was able to go on walks around their neighborhood because she knew the area and the neighbors were aware of her condition. ... Dateline received an email update from Commander Samuel Roberts of the Gary Police Department Public Information Office, who told Dateline that "the Bynum King case has been extensively investigated" and that the investigators "have and will continue to pursue any new leads they receive." Commander Roberts stated that "foul play is suspected in their disappearance" and that they "have identified persons of interest in this case," though they are not able to discuss that at this time. ...

[...]
This case haunts me. It's good to hear LE has been working it. No matter, my heart hurts for Diamong and King.

I would presume if both King and Diamond are deceased and their remains have been found, albeit in different locations, would Diamond's skeleton have identifying characteristics of Prader-Willi Syndrome? She apparently walked with a pronounced limp so I wonder whether that would show up as a skeletal abnormality.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back