IN - Hannah Wilson, 22, IU student, murdered, Brown County, 24 April 2015

Wow. I would be shocked if they knew each other. I can't imagine that a college co-ed would hang out with a middle-age guy who liked trivia contests. But...maybe it's true. Maybe he spoke to her at some point.

Still, it would be strange that he picked her up because he knew she would be outside a bar too intoxicated to go inside. I'm still thinking he was on the prowl looking for a victim.

I doubt that they "knew" each other per se, but when I read where she lived my heart sank. If he's a regular at Yogi's, her neighborhood bar, I think it's definitely plausible he could have seen her there with her friends and become fixated on her. He could have eavesdropped on them, or even followed them home before. Just thinking about that is giving me chills, remembering how much time I spent there as a coed!

I doubt that they "knew" each other per se, but when I read where she lived my heart sank. If he's a regular at Yogi's, her neighborhood bar, I think it's definitely plausible he could have seen her there with her friends and become fixated on her. He could have eavesdropped on them, or even followed them home before. Just thinking about that is giving me chills, remembering how much time I spent there as a coed!

Thanks for the "local" perspective. I can imagine an older guy asking the name of the young women who frequent the same place he does and perhaps becoming infatuated.

It could be that the reason she got in his car, rather than a regular cab, is because she knew him.

???

WideOpen, is it possible that her friends pitched in some money that was well beyond what the fair would be and just said to keep the change as a tip? Would you do something like that? Do most college students know the general fair for X amount of blocks?

Yes, that is possible. We charge $5.00 to get in and $3.00 a mile. (Rates vary widely among companies) So, if the fare is $8.00, I can say it is very common to be thrown a $20. That is a nice tip. But, I can also add that it wouldn't be uncommon for a group who wanted to secure you and make sure their friend got home safe to throw in an additional $20.
Yes, I believe most college age kids have a good idea of the cost to get around their location. The young college crowd today is very responsible, they understand how a DUI can affect their future employment and I applaud them.

O/T
BTW, I think uber is genius. They are making fortunes. If they can out smart-buy out the state regulatory staff-more power to them. I could probably make more money at this point driving for uber myself. I am just commenting on how it is not regulated and that it is changing the face of the transportation industry.
For example, as a taxi regulated by the state I am required to be marked, and in full compliance with the state. EVERYONE who see;s me knows I am a taxi. Our business name is required to be no smaller that 4" on both sides of the vehicle, we have ORS numbers on the vehicle, and there should be a taxi number on the roof of the vehicle. WE STAND OUT like a sore thumb. We cant park our vehicles in our neighborhoods because the neighbors complain to the association...lol
On the other hand, no one knows what an UBER driver or vehicle looks like. IMO this leaves the vulnerable drunks late at night, wandering outside of bars, in groups or alone IN more danger from a criminal predator. (nothing against uber, really)

Picture it, drunk girl, crying, frazzled and a mess, wandering around...walks up to your car..."are you my uber driver?" "My boyfriend and I got in a fight and he just left me here" "How much to take me to 21st Ave?" DRUNK GIRLS/WOMEN DONT ASK FOR YOUR ID.....uber just opens up the level of trust in an already VULNERABLE population.

JMO

sorry to rant or take of topic, may be having a difficult time explaining my position.

http://cbs4indy.com/2015/04/27/cour...ain-indiana-university-student-hannah-wilson/

Gerald Messel—stepfather of Daniel Messel—and an investigator told CBS4 that Daniel Messel’s cell phone was discovered next to Wilson’s body. The probable cause affidavit confirms that information.

Wilson’s body was discovered in a vacant lot in Brown County Friday; Daniel Messel was arrested hours later. Gerald Messel said his son told him, “The police have my phone.”

http://fox59.com/2015/04/27/court-d...-of-indiana-university-student-hannah-wilson/

A neighbor called police to let them know that Messel had returned home. When investigators arrived, Messel had a garbage bag of clothes as well as “claw marks” on his forearms. His vehicle, a 2012 Kia Sportage, had blood spatter on the driver’s side along with blood and black hair on the console, court documents said.

http://fox59.com/2015/04/27/timeline-of-missing-indiana-university-student-hannah-wilson/

Court documents released reveal more details surrounding Wilson’s murder; Suspect is officially charged
Bloomington Police confirm they are investigating possible links between Wilson’s murder and the 2011 disappearance of IU student Lauren Spierer

...still catching up :)

Wow. I would be shocked if they knew each other. I can't imagine that a college co-ed would hang out with a middle-age guy who liked trivia contests. But...maybe it's true. Maybe he spoke to her at some point.

Still, it would be strange that he picked her up because he knew she would be outside a bar too intoxicated to go inside. I'm still thinking he was on the prowl looking for a victim.

His step-father said he had mentioned the name "Heather" in the recent past. I'd bet he was stalking her.

http://cbs4indy.com/2015/04/27/cour...ain-indiana-university-student-hannah-wilson/

Gerald Messel—stepfather of Daniel Messel—and an investigator told CBS4 that Daniel Messel’s cell phone was discovered next to Wilson’s body. The probable cause affidavit confirms that information.

Wilson’s body was discovered in a vacant lot in Brown County Friday; Daniel Messel was arrested hours later. Gerald Messel said his son told him, “The police have my phone.”

...still catching up :)

Interesting. Sounds like someone who the police contacted via the phone somehow let Messel know that the police had the phone. How did Messel get that info if he didn't have his phone? Was he with the person when police called?

She DID get in a cab. I thought Messel was posing as a cabbie, but I was wrong.

"Sgt. Curt Durnil, spokesman for Indiana State Police in Bloomington, said detectives have talked to the cab driver and the owner of the cab company, who aren't suspects in the case.

'From what I understand, they were able to convey that they did take her to the residence that she requested,' Durnil said."

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/...-last-saw-iu-student-around-put-cab/26453877/

Has a history of violence:

"Messel has a violent criminal history, with arrests on charges of battery, disorderly conduct, operating a vehicle while intoxicated and leaving the scene of an accident.

He was sentenced to eight years in prison in 1996 after pleading guilty to battery with a deadly weapon and battery causing serious bodily injury."

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/...-last-saw-iu-student-around-put-cab/26453877/

It seems Kilroy's Sports Bar in Bloomington may be the common factor between Hannah Wilson and Lauer Spierer. I didn't see anyone post that, but sorry if it is redundant.

She DID get in a cab. I thought Messel was posing as a cabbie, but I was wrong.

"Sgt. Curt Durnil, spokesman for Indiana State Police in Bloomington, said detectives have talked to the cab driver and the owner of the cab company, who aren't suspects in the case.

'From what I understand, they were able to convey that they did take her to the residence that she requested,' Durnil said."

Wow thanks so much for this article. There is so much information being revealed...

Thanks! I'm using the house as a placeholder until we find out if she lived there. I searched SM to see if I could find out where she lived, but no avail. I'll clarify. Thanks!! And yes! Totally forgot about the Hilton.

I also added just a couple things on a layer about Lauren Spierer in case people are interested in comparing.

Here's her approx home address:

Friday
1 a.m.: Wilson, 22, and some of her friends walk from a party in a Hilton Garden Inn hotel room to Kilroy's Sports Bar. Her friends say Wilson is too drunk to enter the bar. A white and green taxi pulls up to the curb. Wilson gets inside the cab alone and gives her address to the driver.

Sometime after 1 a.m.: A cab drops Wilson off at her home in the 500 block of East Eighth Street.

Friday

1 a.m.: Wilson, 22, and some of her friends walk from a party in a Hilton Garden Inn hotel room to Kilroy's Sports Bar. Her friends say Wilson is too drunk to enter the bar. A white and green taxi pulls up to the curb. Wilson gets inside the cab alone and gives her address to the driver.

Sometime after 1 a.m.: A cab drops Wilson off at her home in the 500 block of East Eighth Street.

I've been wrong so far about this case - but am happy to be wrong and happy to see the case fall into place so quickly. I think there is enough evidence already to convict the guy.

But, I am very curious how she got into his car if she was dropped off at home.

http://www.idsnews.com/article/2015/04/murder-charges-filed-against-daniel-messel-monday-afternoon

A murder charge has been filed by the Brown County Prosecutor’s office today against Daniel Messel, the Bloomington man accused of murdering IU senior Hannah Wilson and leaving her body in an abandoned lot.

Messel, 49, was accused of bludgeoning 22-year-old Wilson to death. He has been charged with one count of murder.

Messel appeared in the Brown County Circuit Court for the first time at 2:30 p.m. today via video conference from Brown County jail.

It would be helpful to know where his trivia-contest friend lived. The friend said Messel dropped him off at home after trivia night. Not sure we'll get that info, but it would be useful to know where Messel was immediately before the incident.

Thanks for the map. They are so helpful to have when reviewing a case. Good job.

Yes - that is the location I am lusting for.

Also, re: the motive: I had the same thought as someone way up above. Police said no sign of sexual assault and described her body as "clothed." She was wearing long sleeves, pants, and sneakers - about as chaste as a college girl can get. If police are right and there was no sexual motivation, what the hell is his motive? Why take a young girl from a college campus just to bludgeon her? Unless killing her wasn't the intention. He seems to have a history of aggression and violence more than sexual misconduct.

http://www.wbiw.com/local/archive/2015/04/a-cell-phone-lead-police-to-iu-students-alleged-murder.php

When police arrived, Messel was carrying a plastic garbage bag full of clothing out of his home. Police collected it as evidence. They noticed that Messel had several claw marks on his forearms. Police also found blood splatter on the driver's side door of Messel's 2012 silver Kia Sportage and blood splatter in the interior and a clump of long-dark hair on the console.
Police arrested Messel for murder and transported him to the Bloomington State Police post for questioning. Once there and advised of his rights, Messel refused to answer questions.
According to Brown County Coroner Earl Piper, Wilson had been dead for 10 hours or less when she was found. An autopsy report says Wilson received 4 blows to the head. The blows were delivered with such force they crushed Wilson's skull.

Wow this is really hard to read... :( so sorry for the young girl, it seems she tried to make responsible choices and things still went astray. You can't trust anyone! These girls should make sure they travel in pairs, never ever leave anyone alone. Buddy system please!!!

Curiouser and curiouser.

Was it the trivia friend's car?

JMO

In one section they use "His vehicle, a 2012 Kia Sportage..." in another "The car towed by police was not owned by Messel". Making payments perhaps? I read it as it was his car, just not listed on the title.

@abbytonsing: "At this point...detectives believe the cab driver did exactly what he was asked to do and took Hannah home," ISP Sgt. Curt Durnil.

@abbytonsing: Durnil on Wilson and Messel: "We know they came together after her cab ride home, we just don't know the exact time or location."

https://twitter.com/abbytonsing/status/592818575603281920

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CumulativeHazard
Back