Found Deceased IN - Karena McClerkin, 18, Kokomo, 11 Oct 2016 *arrest in 2022*

Six years of Dateline's Missing in America: 134 still missing

karena_mcclerkin_4db38a783beb45a449e63e9771f9ee9b.fit-760w.png

From the link:

Karena McClerkin was last seen on October 11, 2016. The 18-year-old was reportedly walking in the 1000 block of South Washington Street just south of Kokomo, Indiana’s downtown area. She was reported missing two days later. Little is known about the events leading to Karena’s disappearance. Her grandmother told Dateline that somewhere along the line, Karena had gotten involved with a number of substance abuse issues, and had been hanging out with an older crowd. However, Karena had allegedly spoken about the possibility of going to a rehabilitation facility in Florida. Family says she had begun filling out the paperwork when she disappeared. Kokomo Police confirm this is still an active and open case. Anyone with information regarding Karena’s case is urged to contact the Kokomo Police Department at (765) 457-1105.

Kym L. Pasqualini is the founder and former CEO of Nation's Missing Children Organization and National Center for Missing Adults.

Kokomo is a small city with a population of only 40,000. During 2017, there were only 6 reported homicides, and all were all solved—a safe town where abductions of young girls just don’t happen. In fact, there are only three unsolved disappearances in Kokomo history.

On October 11, 2016, Karena McClerkin, 18, was last seen walking in the 1000 block of South Washington Street in Kokomo, Indiana. She left her wallet and identification behind and has never been seen or heard from again.

Police have executed search warrants and pursued several leads over the past three years but none have led them any closer to finding her. The McClerkin family has hired four private investigators over the years to help follow up on leads, including a tip from an inmate who claimed to know where Karena was buried. However, that tip and so many others have gone nowhere.

Karena’s father, James McClerkin has been tirelessly searching for his daughter since her disappearance. James has handed out hundreds of fliers while canvassing the neighborhoods where his daughter went missing.

“I just need answers,” James said. “I just need people to talk. It’s not snitching -- trying to help find a kid.” For James, the time has been the enemy.

Kokomo Police Department has continued to investigate the case, even bringing in cadaver dogs to search portions of Howard County. They also offered a $50,000 reward for information leading to Karena’s whereabouts and arrest of the individual responsible for her disappearance, all to no avail.

However, James didn’t want to stop there. The previous reward would have only been awarded if there was an arrest . . . now James just wants answers. James is now preparing to withdraw his 401k and use the $75,000 to create a reward that simply leads to her whereabouts.

“It’s just to keep her alive, keep it going, and keep the information out there,” said James. “I’m just trying to get new details back in. Right now we don’t have anything . . . All it has to do is lead to my daughter. It doesn’t have to lead to an arrest or anything, just my daughter, her body, or herself. They can have the cash.”
Three Stories of Mysterious Missing Person Cases

“You want somebody to listen to you … nobodies listening,” Gerry said. “It’s just frustrating not to have any answers for an 18 year old. She was a beautiful girl. It’s been four years. Four years too long. Every minute is a nightmare.”

The KPD continues to ask for the community’s assistance in locating McClerkin. Anyone with any information that they believe may be helpful is asked to contact Sergeant Richard Benzinger at 456-7324 or the Kokomo Police Department Hotline at 456-7017. Those with information may qualify for a cash reward by calling Central Indiana Crime Stoppers at 1-800-262-TIPS with an anonymous tip.
Search for missing teen continues four years later

Last edited:
56ab6373b2c55c2b515eac7e90f6c688.jpg

If this is not allowed, mods, please delete. A FB group hasn't been made yet but this is the "poster" circulating among locals with a different photo than the one used by KPD.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

From above, last seen walking on Washington St, 1000 block.

(@Boxer)

Last edited:
Although I can’t confirm...I read she lived on same block as JBC

I hear he was also living on the same street as this young woman Karena Mc Clerkin. mOO

Let’s take a look at JC’s addresses, etc.

I found this over 2016
James Brian Chadwell: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

“He was sentenced in June 2016. In August 2016, he allegedly violated probation. In November 2016, he was taken to jail and held without bond, but a few days later, the state and probation officer agreed “to an OR release of the defendant from the CCJ.” A hearing was scheduled for April 2017 in the case.”

All this said, if he is into younger girls 18 looks completely different already.

Hmmm.

From what I read, Karena's cousin's boyfriend Gabe Ellis was arrested at a residence a short walk from where Karena was last seen not long after she went missing. Karena's cousin went missing right after, but she was found. Is there a thread on Gabe Ellis or does anyone know whose house he was arrested at?

Ka’Rena S. McClerkin – The Charley Project

Last updated June 9, 2021; distinguishing characteristics and details of disappearance updated.

• Distinguishing CharacteristicsBiracial (African-American/Caucasian) female. Brown/red hair, brown eyes. McClerkin's ears are pierced and she wears prescription eyeglasses. She has two tattoos: the letters "RIP" with angel wings on her right upper arm and a round symbol on the inside of her right forearm. Photos of McClerkin's tattoos are posted below this case summary. Her nickname is Ree and many accounts spell her name "Karena" or "KaRena".
Details of Disappearance
McClerkin was last seen in the 1000 block of south Washington Street in Kokomo, Indiana on October 11, 2016. She told her grandmother she was planning to meet up with a boy and go with him to a party. She left her wallet and identification behind and has never been heard from again.

She was dealing with substance abuse issues at the time of her disappearance and was considering admitting herself to a rehabilitation facility in Florida, but hadn't finished filling out the paperwork by the time she disappeared.

McClerkin's family believes she may be dead. Her case remains unsolved.

• Karena S. McClerkin – The Charley Project
    • Missing Since 10/11/2016
    • Missing From Kokomo, Indiana
    • Classification Endangered Missing
    • Sex Female
    • Race Black
    • Date of Birth 09/26/1998 (22)
    • Age 18 years old
    • Height and Weight 5'4, 130 pounds

• karena_s._mcclerkin_2.jpg
  • mcclerkin_karena3.jpg
  • karena_s._mcclerkin_4.jpg
  • karena_s._mcclerkin_5.jpg
  • karena_s._mcclerkin_6.jpg

KaRena's father is right about his daughter. She's beautiful in a most exquisite way. So much wish she had not found herself mixed with the drug culture.

My heart aches for her precious father. He suffers with each passing day. A man, a father, who would forfeit his earthly belongings to have news about his daughter, is a gentleman who deserves answers.

Hope someone has called the tipline about potential suspects discussed here.

Eight years of Dateline's Missing in America: 169 still missing

karena_mcclerkin.png

Karena McClerkin was last seen on October 11, 2016. The 18-year-old was reportedly walking in the 1000 block of South Washington Street just south of Kokomo, Indiana’s downtown area. She was reported missing two days later. Little is known about the events leading to Karena’s disappearance. Her grandmother, Gerry McClerkin, told Dateline in 2017 that somewhere along the line, Karena had gotten involved with a number of substance abuse issues, and had been hanging out with an older crowd. However, Karena had allegedly spoken about the possibility of going to a rehabilitation facility in Florida. Family says she had begun filling out the paperwork when she disappeared. On September 26, 2020, Karena’s 22nd birthday, the Kokomo Police Department reminded the public that her case remains an active investigation and they continue to seek assistance from the community. “In the past four years, KPD investigators have pursued numerous leads and tips, but the case remains open. This investigation is ongoing, as we still continue to search for Karena McClerkin. KPD investigators believe this investigation can be resolved and ask that if you know something, say something,” the release from the Kokomo Police Department stated. Anyone with information regarding Karena’s case is urged to contact Sergeant Richard Benzinger at 456-7324 or the Kokomo Police Department at (765) 457-1105.

Karena McClerkin, 18: Attended A Party & Vanished In 2016

Karena "Ree" McClerkin is missing from Kokomo, IN

Karena told her grandmother she was going to meet up with a male friend on the way to a party. After leaving the party, surveillance cameras showed Karena at a BP gas station near the intersection of South Washington Street & West Markland Avenue on October 11th, 2016 at 10PM. Witnesses reported seeing Karena walk across the street, and go into the alley behind Little Ceasers, and got into a car with an unidentified person. At the time of her disappearance, Karena was 5'4, 130 pounds, and black & white w/ curly reddish-brown hair worn in a bun, brown eyes, and two tattoos including a round symbol on the inside of her right forearm & angel wings w/ "RIP" on her upper right arm; her ears & navel are pierced.

Karena was last seen wearing a black off-the-shoulder crop top, a gray hoodie, ripped jeans, brown sandals, glasses, and several bracelets on both wrists.

What Happened to Missing Indiana Teen Karena McClerkin?

Officials with the Kokomo Police Department are investigating, and a representative for the department told Dateline Tuesday morning the case is open and active. Investigators have reportedly searched several areas with cadaver dogs within the last month, according to Captain Tonda Cockrell.

"Every and all leads are being investigated," Captain Cockrell told Dateline. "The family has been updated on all searches. It's not just leads we're following up on, it's any and all avenues in relation to this case."

Karena's grandmother Gerry also wishes her granddaughter's face would be on the news as much as other cases from the surrounding area. "Because of her race and age and the situation, no one seems to care," Gerry told Dateline. "None of it means that she isn't important. Every person is important and that includes my granddaughter."

https://www.wrtv.com/news/local-new...-family-begs-for-answers-on-her-disappearance

“I just want her found. Her family wants her found. It’s tore this family to pieces. Everybody is almost went their own way. They hold it in, they don’t let it out," Karena's grandmother, Gerry McClerkin, said.

It's been five years since Karena McClerkin was last seen alive and her family members continue to beg for someone to come forward with information about her disappearance.

"Over 500 miles in and around Kokomo from Jonesboro to Burlington, Peru...We have covered every woods we've driver by. We'd stop and knock on the door to see if we can walk through their woods," Gerry said.

Police have executed search warrants and pursued several leads in the case over the past two years, but have not turned up any information on where Karena could be.

The McClerkin family enlisted the services of four private investigators in 2018 to help them pursue some of those leads, including a tip from an inmate who believed she knew where Karena was buried. But that tip, like many others, didn't turn up anything new.

245278788_10159077053392912_357417447091317608_n.jpg

What Happened to Missing Indiana Teen Karena McClerkin?

Many of the stories are haunting. Gerry says she heard stories that Karena had been killed and buried in a tarp in a wooded area, or that Karena's body had been thrown into a waterway to hide the crime. Those are the tamest stories Gerry has been told. Because of it all, she doesn't believe Karena is still alive.

"It's just a horrible mess, and the things you hear just make you sick," Gerry said. "I didn't want to believe she was dead. It took me awhile to accept that idea."

45078616_302367533945279_7247373118585438208_n.jpg

Karena McClerkin, 18: Attended A Party & Vanished In 2016

“The last thing my granddaughter said to me – she held my hand and said, ‘I’ll be alright grandma, I’ll be alright,'” Gerry said. WRTV did a follow-up report on this case in 2019 on the anniversary of Karena’s disappearance, stating that the teen left the party she said she was going to then walked to a nearby BP gas station. It was there that Karena was captured by surveillance cameras before witnesses claimed that they saw her get into a vehicle in an alley. The car and who Karena may have been with is unknown.

In 2018, there were even private investigators who agreed to tackle the case free of charge.

They were unsuccessful.

James McClerkin, Karena’s father, dedicated his life to finding his missing daughter early on. He reportedly lost jobs and had to move out of town in order to afford the ability to care for his other kids.

“You want somebody to listen to you … nobody’s listening,” Gerry said last year. “It’s just frustrating not to have any answers for an 18-year-old. She was a beautiful girl. It’s been four years. Four years too long. Every minute is a nightmare.” In a separate interview with reporters, Gerry stated, “There doesn’t have to be an arrest. All that has to happen is that Karena be brought back, dead or alive. We don’t care who done it, we just want her back.”

A reward is still being offered for information on her case.

The Kokomo police department issued the following statement marking five years since Karena's disappearance.

"On October 11, 2021, marks five years since Karena’s disappearance. We want to remind the public that her case remains an active investigation. In the past five years, Kokomo Police Department investigators have pursued numerous leads and tips but the case remains open. The Kokomo Police will continue to search for Karena McClerkin. Kokomo Police Department investigators believe someone knows what happened to Karena McClerkin.

This investigation can be resolved and ask that “if you know something, say something”. The Kokomo Police Department continues to ask for the community’s assistance. Anyone with any information that they believe may be helpful in locating Karena McClerkin is asked to contact Captain Mike Banush at (765) 456-7278, or the Kokomo Police Department Hotline at (765) 456-7017."

Bring Karena McClerkin Home
Justice for Karena Mcclerkin

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back