IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
IU alum might be able to answer this question. Are there a lot of NY kids who happen to end up at the school? I ask because a quick look at the people involved reveal a pretty high amount of New Yorkers.

Lauren is from Westchester
Jesse is from L.I.
Lauren's room mate, according to her Facebook profile info, is from L.I. as well. Another girl who has been named as a friend of Lauren's at school is from a town about 15 minutes away from Lauren in Westchester.
Jesse has several people who pop up with NY HS networks and Indiana as their college.

Seemed a bit odd to me, but I might be reading into nothing. Looks like these kids who were from lower NY an in Indiana formed a pretty tightly knit group.

You know, I noticed that too. There actually are a lot of kids from New York, New Jersey and the east coast at IU. IU is a big school with a lot of top ranked programs (business, law, etc). And they do seem to live in the same places (downtown areas) and run in the same social circles a lot of the time. JMO ...

IU alum might be able to answer this question. Are there a lot of NY kids who happen to end up at the school? I ask because a quick look at the people involved reveal a pretty high amount of New Yorkers.

Lauren is from Westchester
Jesse is from L.I.
Lauren's room mate, according to her Facebook profile info, is from L.I. as well. Another girl who has been named as a friend of Lauren's at school is from a town about 15 minutes away from Lauren in Westchester.
Jesse has several people who pop up with NY HS networks and Indiana as their college.

Seemed a bit odd to me, but I might be reading into nothing. Looks like these kids who were from lower NY an in Indiana formed a pretty tightly knit group.

Many university/college admissions like a mix of students from across the states or regions to represent their graduates.

That said, today's WSJ:

Snipped
Nobel winners and award-winning business and music schools attract some of the world's brightest students to Indiana University. A reputation as one of the nation's top party schools attracts others.

Snipped
The school touts top-notch academic programs, but it's also consistently ranked as a top party school by the Princeton Review, earning the top spot in 2005 and consistently making the top 15 since then.

http://online.wsj.com/article/AP35dcb92f1ca64a1f844377cbb488670f.html

ETA: Didn't see JJenny's post upthread.

At this point...the ONLY thing proving that Lauren left the last vicnity she was in (meaning the apartment area of CR & the next apartment she went to) is ONE eye witness from Male #2, is that correct?

How do we know for sure that after that she didn't stop somewhere else? Why are we just assuming that something happened during her walk home? Honestly, for all we know, she might have made a visit to unknown #3?

I guess what I'm trying to say is...the world is assuming she was abducted on the last leg of her walk home, after she was out of view from male #2.

Are we sure she didn't stop in somewhere else, somewhere unknown to everyone, and something happened at that location rather than being grabbed or assualted on the street?

At this point...the ONLY thing proving that Lauren left the last vicnity she was in (meaning the apartment area of CR & the next apartment she went to) is ONE eye witness from Male #2, is that correct?

How do we know for sure that after that she didn't stop somewhere else? Why are we just assuming that something happened during her walk home? Honestly, for all we know, she might have made a visit to unknown #3?

I guess what I'm trying to say is...the world is assuming she was abducted on the last leg of her walk home, after she was out of view from male #2.

Are we sure she didn't stop in somewhere else, somewhere unknown to everyone, and something happened at that location rather than being grabbed or assualted on the street?

Interesting thought.

I believe that at this time police aren't confirming that male #2 account is correct to begin with.

I agree. The last known point that Lauren was seen was on video camera on the way to the boys apartments. Just because the boys said she was there doesn't mean she actually was.

I think it would be prudent to consider who Lauren knew in the building of the boys or in buildings along the way. Since she was all over the place that night. From her apt to the bar, back to apt, to CRs, to JRs and allegedly on her way home there is nothing to say she didn't make another stop.

Her roommate said she saw her at 12:30 in the apt. Was CR there or was she alone?

If she met up with CR at the bar and they were back in LS building at 2:30-2:40 for the altercation. I googled walking direction from the bar to smallwood plaza. Google claims 13 minutes walking time. So say she left the apt at 12:30, she would have gotten to the bar around 12:45. Her and CR were back at her apartment at 2:30-2:40 so they would have left the bar around 2:15..Not a huge amount of time spent in the bar *an hour and a half*

After that they left and ended up back on camera round 3am. There is some time in there that seems to be missing. Shouldn't have taken the pair, if walking back to CRs apartment almost 20-30 minutes to make it there.

Sounds like the walk is only about 4 blocks long, so 5-10 minutes would seem ample. How many times did they stop? Maybe that explains why the keys ended up where they did.

If she dropped CR off to his roommate and headed to another person's apt. that would put here there sometime around 3:15-3:30 and she took off for "home" allegedly around 4:15-4:30.

If she met up with CR at the bar and they were back in LS building at 2:30-2:40 for the altercation. I googled walking direction from the bar to smallwood plaza. Google claims 13 minutes walking time. So say she left the apt at 12:30, she would have gotten to the bar around 12:45. Her and CR were back at her apartment at 2:30-2:40 so they would have left the bar around 2:15..Not a huge amount of time spent in the bar *an hour and a half*

Not that it makes a huge difference, but there are actually two bars named Kilroy's in Bloomington. The one Lauren was at was Kilroy's Sports Bar, and is about one block from her apartment. It would have only taken her 2-3 minutes to walk to Smallwood from there. The directions above must have been to the other Kilroy's a little further away.

You know, I noticed that too. There actually are a lot of kids from New York, New Jersey and the east coast at IU. IU is a big school with a lot of top ranked programs (business, law, etc). And they do seem to live in the same places (downtown areas) and run in the same social circles a lot of the time. JMO ...

From what I've heard, the IU music department has an exceptionally good reputation, as far as state universities go.

No, we are not sure. I think that is what everyone is trying to figure out.

No, we are not sure. I think that is what everyone is trying to figure out.

I'm sure glad you think that's what everyone is trying to figure out, because what I'm taking from this so far is that they have been mainly focusing on her being abducted, etc. after the point that male #2 saw her last.

I think the search first should focus on the alley that runs between the apt bldg and the house-next-to-the-Dr's-office. The alley runs along the side of the apt and the house, and exits on N. College Ave.

It's creepy. The alley crosses the path taken by LS at 3am, as shown by the cams in the alley that runs perpendicular to this alley.

[ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=w+10th+and+N+College,+Bloomington,+IN&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=44.47475,75.849609&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=N+College+Ave+%26+W+10th+St,+Bloomington,+Monroe,+Indiana+47404&ll=39.172615,-86.534801&spn=0,0.002462&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=39.172517,-86.534803&panoid=pEZvvecEarY0VtvZxCEoiA&cbp=13,258.8,,0,3.74"]http://tinyurl.com/4xgpddn[/ame]

A vehicle-in-waiting could idle in that alley and easily exit to N. College Ave. and disappear down the follow-thru alley on the other side of N. College Ave. or turn on College.

I just hope everyone is still talking with the police, even if they want to bring their lawyers with them.

I am guessing everyone in town knows she is missing, so it seems as though anyone who had contact with her that day should have come forward by now, if they are going to at all. I hope all videos are being turned over and that something new comes up. I don't know how LE is going to be able to move forward if no one confesses and no new witnesses surface. It will become like so many other cases, if that happens, where you just don't know if a stranger came along or if her friends know more than they are telling.

It seems to me that a lot is being stated as fact that is not really known. The reporting is iffy and people are taking off with speculation. I hope she will be fine....I worry she won't but I hate when speculation is stated as fact.
A lot of young people are being thrown under the bus for just knowing her.....I hate that they will be questioned all their lives even if they just were people who knew her and had nothing to do with her disappearence but being college kids. Thanks be to God my college days weren't under the microscope.

As a woman approaching 40, who is a mother of elementary aged children, it is hard for me to wrap my head around the dangerous circumstances these college kids end up in.

UNTIL, I think about my little brother is a 21 year old student at Ole Miss (also known for its partying). As a result of the snippets I see on his facebook and asking him concerned questions, nothing about the events of the night (pre-disappearance) surprise me. Young people (without frontal lobes fully developed/invincible/immature/living for the minute) surrounded by peers AND under the influence of alcohol (and statistically speaking, likely pot or other 'gateway' drugs) DO NOT make good decisions.

My little brother is a 'good kid' but he has been in early morning altercations, had citations for public intoxication, etc. If you met him or followed him only via his photos and/or knowing his family you would think "All-American kid." Unfortunately, he is. All-American college kids are up to all kinds of dangerous behavior at college campuses throughout this country. Frankly, I am astounded things like this don't happen more often.

I send him these stories with my heartfelt plea for him to temper his 'fun' with some knowledge of the danger...but 21 year olds aren't known for their decision making skills. So I pray for his safety until he matures enough to 'get it.'

As we think through the hows and whys of that night, it would serve us all well to not think like our sober, adult, websleuthing selves...when the truth comes out, I don't expect there to be 'reasonable' choices involved.

Her keychain was found the next day near an alleyway behind a building about
100 yards from Rossman’s building.

IU student AJ Amin, 19, told The Journal News Friday that he saw a small
purple pouch with a gold key shortly before 3 am that morning on the
sidewalk near that building. He said he left it there and that a friend of
his put it on a railing when he saw it there a few hours later.

“I didn’t know they were hers,” said Amin, who had not yet given his account
to police.
http://www.lohud.com/article/201106...Spierer-not-last-person-her-?odyssey=nav|head

Is there any word from law enforcement that clearly says the keys are hers? It seems to me that is not at all clear,

As a woman approaching 40, who is a mother of elementary aged children, it is hard for me to wrap my head around the dangerous circumstances these college kids end up in.

UNTIL, I think about my little brother is a 21 year old student at Ole Miss (also known for its partying). As a result of the snippets I see on his facebook and asking him concerned questions, nothing about the events of the night (pre-disappearance) surprise me. Young people (without frontal lobes fully developed/invincible/immature/living for the minute) surrounded by peers AND under the influence of alcohol (and statistically speaking, likely pot or other 'gateway' drugs) DO NOT make good decisions.

My little brother is a 'good kid' but he has been in early morning altercations, had citations for public intoxication, etc. If you met him or followed him only via his photos and/or knowing his family you would think "All-American kid." Unfortunately, he is. All-American college kids are up to all kinds of dangerous behavior at college campuses throughout this country. Frankly, I am astounded things like this don't happen more often.

I send him these stories with my heartfelt plea for him to temper his 'fun' with some knowledge of the danger...but 21 year olds aren't known for their decision making skills. So I pray for his safety until he matures enough to 'get it.'

As we think through the hows and whys of that night, it would serve us all well to not think like our sober, adult, websleuthing selves...when the truth comes out, I don't expect there to be 'reasonable' choices involved.

I agree. I was also a good kid who now is a little older than you!
I made bad decisions in college and was also a victim of a horrific crime when I just going home from work. I was the lucky one of this mans victims....I just get frustrated that it seems that people state things as facts that we don't know to be. The reporting seems a little unprofessional and then people go with it.
Also, I know we all forget as we get older and having a child who is approaching college age makes me want to put blinders on but teenagers make poor decisions every day. I have great kids. They do dumbass stuff all the time and once away at college I will be afraid they will do something dumb that will turn tragic.
I just don't see these college kids hurting her....but I am naive.
PS: Very glad that they didn't do the public intoxication when I was in college. Also glad the WWW came later.......none of my dumbass behavior at UMD is on video....

I'm sure glad you think that's what everyone is trying to figure out, because what I'm taking from this so far is that they have been mainly focusing on her being abducted, etc. after the point that male #2 saw her last.

Considering that most of the persons of interest at this time appear to be other students, I do not believe that police are mainly focusing on her being abducted by a stranger at all at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back