IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Daughters Blackberry was either lost or stolen at a party. On Sunday morning we went to Sprint to see if it had been used since she last had it at 8pm on Saturday night. The guy went online and read her most recent texts to us word for word, within minutes. So I suppose if the cops get past the legal hurdles, they can access some of that cell info immediately.

This is true. Tho I believe the telcos--either by law or by convention--claim to only maintain something like the last 7 to 14 days worth of text. Tho given the data storage requirements for amassing more, they probably are telling the truth there.

Well if somebody provided her with illegal (or even legal but not prescribed to her) drugs, and she OD, I believe that alone could have resulted in severe penalties. Especially considering she was under 21, even providing her with alcohol would be illegal. I really don't think under such scenario rape or murder would be necessary for someone to decide to dispose of the body.

Many/most/all? states have made such a scenario (provisioning illegal narcotics which result in/involved in someone's death) 2nd degree murder by statute.

Not saying its prosecuted all that much, but it's out there and available to the prosecution.

I never heard the 4am call was from a landline. I thought it was from JR's cell to DR. Do college kids even have landlines? lol.

I recall houses and even apartments in college coming with landlord paid basic landlines (folded into the rent) with no long distance. You'd use a phone card to call out long distance, local calls free, as well as receiving long distance calls from parents etc.

I imagine all the residents have cell phones, but the land line still hangs on. And often in secure, muti-unit apt complexes, the land-line is connected to the security sysem to allow folks in downstairs etc..

She lived on the fifth floor, and CR got beat up on the fifth floor elevator lobby, so clearly he wouldn't go back there.
Why did she leave with him instead of going to her apartment-maybe she didn't want to stop partying just yet?

I tend to agree. I think her ultimate destination at that point was JR's, where her roommate reported she had hung out all the time over the last year.

Doesn't matter, his GF is missing, he needs an attorney.

Yep, as the Nona Dirksmeyer case showed:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103693"]Nona Dirksmeyer / Arkansas Beauty Queen Murder Case - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

a significant not having his own lawyer during the investigation phase not only
can result in the innocent boyfriend being tried (twice?) for the crime. but also can result in the real killer never being convicted, perhaps never known, b/c the police
focus on the bf to the exclusion of other potential perps.

LS seems to have joined a lot of different charity, social & cultural groups (Habitat for Humanity, etc), and perhaps she had at least one confidante in Bloomington outside of the Smallwood-5 North circle, or even outside IU. A part-time student who works, maybe?

What if to escape the escalating violence among the members of this circle, she tried to contact this outside person? With no phone, she may have proceeded on foot to some other location in Bloomington.

Where she was then whisked away to the nearest international airport and flown to Israel?
:peace:

I agree. It has become obvious by the appeals of the family that they know much more than what is public.

I doubt (and sorta hope) that any additional information that LS's family likely has did not come from LE. I can't imagine responsible LEO's prematurely pointing a father distraught over his daughter's disappearance/likely death in the direction of ANY potential POI. Way too dangerous in terms of what the parent might doas well as in terms of potentially compromising the ongoing investigation.

I'd guess that the parents are getting phone calls/emails/etc (maybe late night) from friends/fellow students of their daughter's. And, while not likely providing any sorta solid proof, the parents are possibly hearing the same names and similar scenarios in these rumors and that spurs them to shake the trees and try to get more info from similar sources, maybe even get one of the primaries to confess all--or at least enough to break the case.

I don't mean to say it is impossible...I just have a picture in my head of a bunch of guys with access to all kinds of vehicles and thinking "let's get her clear of here"...as I said, just a feeling.

This is my thinking as well.

e.g., if, say hypothetically, JR is the responsible POI, it's possible, perhaps even likely, that he packed LS away in his vehicle under the usual assortment of returning home college student gear and high-tailed it back to Michigan.

The area in which JR lives in Michigan is filthy with lakes. And the larger Great Lakes are black holes for shipwrecks and corpses (Jimmy Hoffa is possibly at the bottom of Lake Huron).

JR or anyone he know have a boat docked on one of the big lakes?

More likely, he would've dumped her somewhere that he could tangentially monitor-- a body of water in the vicinity of his Michigan home.

Few final-for-now ruminations,

one re: lawyering up (and what it might tell us about respective parties guilt/innocence),

two: is MB actually more important/significant than he seems?

three: did CR and LS indulge in a 3rd+ drug that night, near the time they left Kilroy's and/or later?

GHB/PCP/Ketamine?

Inspired by the recurring posts suggesting that perhaps someone roofied LS's drink. recall that the usual drug of choice for that, GHB, is of the same class of pharmaceutical as PCP and, more likely in this case, Ketamine.

I believe there was a strong jam band affinity in this group?
On the jam band circuit, ketamine (along with nitrous) is often the drug of choice at the end of the night.

GHB--much more difficult to mix with alcohol and/or other subtances without roofie'ing yourself, but lasts longer, and much stronger.

PCP--popular on the east coast, usually smoked in short hits like crack.

KETAMINE-- hugely popular among jam band followers/ravers/serial drug users in general.

Ketamine has different impacts at different doses, but can make a person appear as out of it (stumbling/slurring/foaming/loss of motor control?) as LS apparently appeared to some between Kilroy's/Smallwood/CR-MB's/JR's.

And, in the possible case of CR, take enough Ketamine and you end up in a "k-hole", and can have resultant short-term memory loss etc.

is MB actually more important/significant than he seems?

consider that if the rumors and speculation pan out, then someone is supplying this crew with their powders and pills.

CR strikes me as someone who'd be horrible at that role. An actual dealer might use CR to handle small transactions with people CR knows, but CR wouldn't be able to handle getting the product from upstream (wouldn't have the resources, first off) and he wouldn't keep his nose out of the supply. Like Wimpy guarding the hamburgers.

JR, on the other hand, comes across through the reports about him (Cranbrook etc) as someone both too smart and too well-taken care of to take the risk that volume drug-dealing in the age of mandatory minimums involves. The game wouldn't be worth the candle to a Cranbrook kid like JR.

Who's that leave (at least from that night)?

The guy with the cleanest, tidiest story, who is up at all hours, supposedly either writing "2 papers at once" or studing for an exam. What exams are there in early June? and if there are exams, it's Summer school. No need for all-nighters.

If the reports of CR and JR having access to these various substances are true, maybe it's because they live either with or in close proximity to the actual supplier?

If MB is the bridge between CR and JR, then why isn't he being more closely scrutinized.

Some possible scenarios along this line of thinking:

1. JR is solely responsible. LS left MB/CR's as MB stated, went to JR's and that's the last anyone's seen of her (cept JR and his mystery guest). Does JR lawyer up right away here?

if nobody saw anyhing, can't prove anything, and your friends down the block dont know anyhing, but they can still place LS at your place that night, might JR (under the sole perp theory) wait to lawyer up until he absolutely needs to? Lawyer up to soon and make people suspicious.

2. JR is primarily responsible, but MB and/or CR were involved enough (even at the level of simple drug suppliers to LS) that JR convinces them to circle the wagons with him and lawyer up as well.

3. What if MB is both

(i) CR and JR's primary supplier of fun and

(ii) primarily responsible for LS's disappearance/demise.

Proposition 1 gives MB leverage over CR and JR to help him deal with the situation, in both practical and legal terms.

Did LS ever leave MB/CR's place that night and go to JR's ( I mean alive and well, etc)?

If there is a major player/dealer here I do agree it would probably be MB or (maybe more likely) a random other who resided close to whatever happened and perhaps even in the same building. Everyone thinks ZO is and he may dabble, but dealers higher up on the food chain don't get in random little punching fights with others. They would send someone else to do that for them.

a. CR and LS meet at the Indy 500 Memorial Day weekend.

b. There are fights and disagreements amongst the group that weekend, who knows over what.

c. Back in Bloomington a few days later, maybe for the first time since Indy, CR calls LS to hang out and
she eagerly agrees (she looks excited and, perhaps more importantly, either sober or on a pleasing combo buzz of coke/xannies).

d. an hour later, CR and LS leave Kilroy's for their adventuress journey to Smallwood, then to CR/MB's, then, maybe, LS solo to JR's.

e. LS, who looked happy but otherwise incontrol in the pic of her leaving Smallwood for the bar, is seen stumbling about, possibly foaming at the mouth and someone, maybe CR, maybe John Doe, has to help her leave Smallwood, desination, who knows.

F. By the account of CR and MB? or just MB? CR and LS make it to the place CR shares with MB.

G. MB, apparently self-reported, is studying for a test, or writing two papers at once.

H. MB claims to have put CR to bed (perhaps with a nice, additional bump of Ketamine).

I. Does MB then turn his attention to LS. Rather than LS asking MB if he wants to party (as MB reported), MB asks LS to party with him. Maybe she does, maybe she doesn't, but whatever happened to her that night quite possibly starts and ends with MB.

I guess the question is, how does MB in the above scenario get JR to go along.

CR;'s easy enough, if the above is the case, he's already MB's "employee" and plus MB hires them both the same attorney.

I can't read any of these fb comments :(

Where are you Lauren - I wish that whoever is/was involved would just come out and let the truth be out there. I don't see anybody living a full life knowing they had something to do with whatever happened to Lauren. The guilt and fear will never let go until the truth comes out.

I just feel so sorry for her parents and for Lauren. She may have made a few bad choices that night but we were all young and made mistakes, it's really sad if she had to pay with her life for it.

Other than that - if stranger abduction is completely ruled out and LE doesn't gather anymore physical evidence - is the only thing anybody can hope for that one of these kids blurts something / everything out? IF one of these kids were involved - undeveloped brain or the not - it's sickening that they didn't try and help (if she OD'd) and just dumped her body - if that is what happened. And whoever was responsible for that should stand up and take responsibility. JMO

Am I crazy????
I am baffled by the Spierer's pleas about defining oneself. I cannot figure out who they are talking to.
I could understand if this was 3 days later and LS was tucked somewhere beautifully preserved and someone came forward and said, I tried tell her she'd had enough.

But now, coming clean resulting in the Spierer's finding skeletal remains with accusations that LS may not have been dead.

Even if she passed as a result of something she took herself. No 21 year old is going to feel better about coming clean, now. In fact, nothing will make them feel better about themselves at this point. And even friends will think wow, *advertiser censored* is going to be charged with a felony if I talk and LS took these things herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther