IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Sports will just have to do a better job of hiring, training, and staying on top of the fake ID business because they did not that night. Just like the underage student takes a risk with a fake ID, so does the business take a risk in being too lenient. But erring on the side of caution cuts into Sports profits and now those profits will have to go to paying the fines which I hope are huge. They let the wrong girl in that night.

"The height and weight displayed on the ID Spierer used to get into Kilroy’s Sports clearly did not match Spierer’s actual frame of 4-feet-11-inches tall and 90 pounds. “Apparently, it was substantial, the difference,” said Travis Thickstun, excise police public information officer.

“Any reasonable person should have and would have known, based on the physical description, that this wasn’t the person described on the ID,” Thickstun said in a phone interview."

every bar in Bloomington, like every other college town lets fake IDs through their doors every single night. I am glad they're following through and citing sports, don't get me wrong. It is just so easy to blame anything else on LS disappearance, when really college students choose to drink and do drugs and the conesquences are their choice. Obviously I don't blame L for what happened to her, but Sports is not some evil place that allows underage kids to get wasted and never check IDs. Fake IDs now have all the right holograms and even scan... Also it is very common for older siblings to give their younger ones their old IDs to use when they go out. Personally I never had a fake and waited until I was 21 to go out to the bars in Bloomington (and elsewhere), they're expensive and honestly scare me, I wouldn't want to risk getting caught with a fake. A few years ago there was a major bust (I believe in Smallwood) of a fake ID manufacturer. If anything, the security guard working the door that night at sports should be questioned because it's Indiana law to have TWO FORMS of an ID when buying alcohol and going into bars. I automatically hand over two IDs every time, but some people don't even bother looking at my second form.

I think it's just the culture ... but sometimes it takes something like this to shake things up. My son is a freshman at a small New England college and says there's plenty of partying going on there, too ... with shot glasses for sale in the campus B&N bookstore, one dorm known for its parties, etc.

I'm not convinced getting into Sports had all that much to do with what happened to LS, though I'd like to think if she was indeed "foaming at the mouth" they might have intervened vs. kicked her out (unrealistic, I'm sure). OTOH, they really shouldn't have let her in w/o proper ID.

It will be interesting to see if further news is forthcoming about this investigation at Sports because the H-T article says they also tracked down others who were there that night to ask them what went on.

I wonder how much alcohol they served her. I wonder if a Sports employee could be a POI...

Is the Sports investigation being carried out by the State? I selfishly hope that the folks that are investigating Sports are a little more forthcoming than the Bloomington PD.

So the college kids who are underage are going to have to get better fake ID's, I guess, ones that match their descriptions more closely.

I know there were rumors that Lauren was thrown out; is this a fact?
If so, I wonder what might have happened differently if she hadn't been, and she and CR had stayed there until closing...

It will be interesting to see if further news is forthcoming about this investigation at Sports because the H-T article says they also tracked down others who were there that night to ask them what went on.

I wonder how much alcohol they served her. I wonder if a Sports employee could be a POI...

Especially considering how long (actually not) she was apparently there. How much alcohol and what kind (shots vs. beer, etc.) might make them more accountable ... even if she was already under the influence of whatever.

I've also wondered about the Red Bull/vodka drinks that seem popular with kids right now ... there can be some side effects with those as well, even w/o drug interactions. However, I don't think that would account for the "foaming at the mouth."

Sounds like they are starting to shake things up a bit. I like it!

Mamma- I think the Winery was suggested early on. Didn't LE search areas of N 37 and at different times? That leads me to believe that they do have a video or "Something" that leads them to believe she may have been taken that way. They did say they had a LOT of videos.

Also, I honestly think that the friends that have talked to LE have been told not to say anything to the media. I wonder if the main POI is even on "Our Radar".

I would like to know more about the friend that was visiting JR. Is he missing? Or exactly who CR's Attorney was referring to when he said she was seen by 2 or 3 (i think?) others after CR had seen her last. Who are the 2 or 3 others?

And why did the LE have to bust the security door down at Smallwood to get the video, was it for the video or did they think she might have been in there. Who would have had that key? Are they a POI?

Just Rambling now... so sorry. JMHO

Or someone at the bar followed them???
How long were they at the bar 45 minutes tops?

To answer the question, as to why JR would inject himself into this investigation, saying that he was the last to see Lauren, well one huge reason is that he made that 4:00 phone call to DR at Smallwood, which LE would have found reguardless if he said that he saw Lauren or not. What would have been the reason for the call? I'm tellin ya, these guys somehow got their sh** together mighty quick.

every bar in Bloomington, like every other college town lets fake IDs through their doors every single night.

Not true... SOME of the bars in Bloomington (and I know of one in particular) take the law pretty seriously and protect themselves against violations. But, I believe you're probably accurately describing many bars in Bloomington - especially those that cater to the younger crowd.

And I do believe that the underage crowd is well aware of where they can be served without much challenge, and where they cannot.

In reality, the Kilroy's violation may put all of the bars on high alert for awhile, but that just means that the kids will get their older friends to buy stuff at Big Red and they'll party at home. I may have been out of college for a lot of years, but I still remember doing THAT!! :)

To answer the question, as to why JR would inject himself into this investigation, saying that he was the last to see Lauren, well one huge reason is that he made that 4:00 phone call to DR at Smallwood, which LE would have found reguardless if he said that he saw Lauren or not. What would have been the reason for the call? I'm tellin ya, these guys somehow got their sh** together mighty quick.

He could have had any reason to call being DR's friend. I agree they did get their sh** together quick considering that they were all probably still recovering from the night before and 12 hours later JW reports her missing.

Is the Sports investigation being carried out by the State? I selfishly hope that the folks that are investigating Sports are a little more forthcoming than the Bloomington PD.

Yes, it is the State. If Thickstun's comments are any indication, then we have the potential for some very good communications. He was candid. I like that.

Not true... SOME of the bars in Bloomington (and I know of one in particular) take the law pretty seriously and protect themselves against violations. But, I believe you're probably accurately describing many bars in Bloomington - especially those that cater to the younger crowd.

And I do believe that the underage crowd is well aware of where they can be served without much challenge, and where they cannot.

In reality, the Kilroy's violation may put all of the bars on high alert for awhile, but that just means that the kids will get their older friends to buy stuff at Big Red and they'll party at home. I may have been out of college for a lot of years, but I still remember doing THAT!! :)

Mind sharing which bar?

Sounds like they are starting to shake things up a bit. I like it!

Mamma- I think the Winery was suggested early on. Didn't LE search areas of N 37 and at different times? That leads me to believe that they do have a video or "Something" that leads them to believe she may have been taken that way. They did say they had a LOT of videos.

I don't know about different times, but there was a planned search on 37 North and the surrounding area near Morgan county line on Father's Day, June 19. That was a large-scale search with helicopters and several different teams that covered a lot of area. That same day there was an unplanned search near the little Hillview Hotel.

Now that I've had time to think about it, the planned search of that day may have been large, in part, because of the many people in uniform who volunteered as a show of support to Lauren's father.

I've definitely seen some fake IDs that look like, feel like and are practically the real thing. I've also seen bouncers look very closely and take their time examining the IDs... And they still get it. Yes I'm talking more about the student-oriented bars downtown. I've mentioned before, very early on that I was at sports the night LS disappeared, but I left about 15 minutes before she got there. That night was very busy considering it was the summer, and my friends and I commented about how many underage kids there clearly were.

She had to be with JR or he never would have said she was. If he is guilty, he thinks someone saw her there, or else he is telling the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea