IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 #34

Status
Not open for further replies.

Before last week, Gerald said, Daniel mentioned someone named “Hannah” after playing trivia at a 
Bloomington bar.

Although it doesn't necessarily fit with some of the rumors, or even necessarily make sense in that context, if that evidence found near her was her cell phone and a late night call to him that would close that loop of how they connected him with her.

And of course his step dad could be misremembering or the name Hannah could just be a coincidence.

This may be some of the "eerily same" circumstances LE says prompted them to look at Lauren's case in relation to Hannah's. Gosh, if it was him, he has been quiet crime-wise for 4 years it would seem. But I guess that is not unusual in serial cases. I just hate it though. Also wondering if increased cameras and security as a result of Lauren's disappearance helped identify this guy super quick as the investigation into Hannah's disappaearance unfolded early on.

But that assumes no other cases in the region could be tied in with him in that time period.

The Lauren Spierer case and the Hannah Wilson case both involve a lost cellphone. In the Spierer case Lauren lost her cell at the bar. In the Wilson case, the bad boy lost his cell at the Brown County crime scene. Whooooooooooooooooooooooops!

A Cell Phone, Blood Links Man To IU Student's Alleged Murder
(BLOOMINGTON) - According to a probable cause affidavit, police found Daniel Messel's cell phone near the body of Indiana University student Hannah Wilson.
Messel will appear in Brown County Circuit Court today at 2:30 p.m. via video conferencing.
According to the probable cause affidavit, Brown County Deputies found Wilson's body near near Plum Creek Road near State Road 45, Friday around 8:30 a.m. after a woman driving on Plum Creek Road saw Wilson's body face-down in a vacant lot.
The body was later identified as that of Wilson. Police say, she had "significant trauma" to the head with a substantial amount of blood pooling under her head. Blood splatter was found all around the body in the grass.
At the crime scene police found a black cell phone in a red case near Wilson's feet. Police later determined the phone belong to Messel.
According to police Wilson had been at a party at a room in the Hilton Garden Inn on Thursday night. At some point her friends decided to go to Kilroy's Sports Bar, but determined that Wilson was too intoxicated to continue staying out with them. They talked about calling an UBER cab when a taxi arrived. Wilson got into the taxi alone and witnesses heard her tell the driver where she lived. That was the last time anyone saw Wilson alive.
Through the cell phone police were able to determine that Messel worked at Fine Print Printing in Bloomington, but he had not showed up for work on Friday, which employees say was unusual.
Police then went to Messel's last known address in Bloomington. It was the home of Messel's father. He told police that he had went to dinner with his son at Chedder's Thursday night around 6 pm. According to Messel's father, his son went out to Yogi's Bar and Grill for trivia night with friends around 8 pm, something he does every Thursday night. However his father says Messel did not return home from Yogi's, which was unusual.
A colleague, who works with Messel, confirmed that Messel had given him a ride home around 11 pm Thursday.
On Friday, police received a missing person's report from Wilson's fellow sorority members of Gamma Phi Beta. Police then began retracing her activities.
Then they got a call from a neighbor that Daniel Messel had returned home.
When police arrived, Messel was carrying a plastic garbage bag full of clothing out of his home. Police collected it as evidence. They noticed that Messel had several claw marks on his forearms. Police also found blood splatter on the driver's side door of Messel's 2012 silver Kia Sportage and blood splatter in the interior and a clump of long-dark hair on the console.
Police arrested Messel for murder and transported him to the Bloomington State Police post for questioning. Once there and advised of his rights, Messel refused to answer questions.
According to Brown County Coroner Earl Piper, Wilson had been dead for 10 hours or less when she was found. An autopsy report says Wilson received 4 blows to the head. The blows were delivered with such force they crushed Wilson's skull.

http://www.wbiw.com/local/archive/2015/04/a-cell-phone-lead-police-to-iu-students-alleged-murder.php

These two cases definitely do have some odd similarities. But one major difference is HW was found immediately. LS is still missing. Don't know what to think right now.

I'm sure the police will track down the car he was driving in 2011. DNA from some blonde hair might add more charges.

These two cases definitely do have some odd similarities. But one major difference is HW was found immediately. LS is still missing. Don't know what to think right now.

These cases do have some odd similarities. In fact enough that it gets hard to overlook them all as coincidences.

There had been so little activity with the LS case that I'd been tempted to ask if such a lack of activity had anyone rethinking their former positions and theories. But then there was the recent case review that added a couple of new pieces to the narrative and it seemed to fuel the same suspicions as before so I never asked the question.

But in light of this recent case, and in context of nothing seemingly actually happening with PsOI from 5N, JW, or Smallwood, is anyone reevaluating their former thoughts on this case? I realize it's early and much missing from this new case, but for me I have to increase the odds right now of random abduction in the LS case from where I would've previously put them.

Wasn't there a taxi driver that had claimed to have given LS a ride that the consensus was he wasn't credible?

Noticed Lauren's picture on the front page of foxnews.com today as a potential tie-in with Hannah Wilson. Sad that it had to come at the expense of another life, but encouraging to again get a bit of national exposure.

http://kfor.com/2015/04/27/murder-of...nto-cold-case/

One investigator says Hannah Wilson’s murder case is “eerily similar” to the disappearance of another Indiana University student, Lauren Spierer.

It was in June of 2011 when Spierer went missing. She has never been found.

Now one investigator says detectives will most likely re-examine that four-year-old unsolved case.

p.s. New to this thread so bare with me while I catch up.. it looks like you all are doing some amazing work. I just ran across the above article, forgive me if it's already been posted.

http://cbs4indy.com/2015/04/27/cour...ain-indiana-university-student-hannah-wilson/

Arrest in IU student Hanna Wilson’s murder reopens investigation into disappearance of Lauren Spierer.

An investigator told CBS4 that the circumstances surrounding Wilson’s death made detectives think of the 2011 disappearance of IU student Lauren Spierer. Detectives planned to examine both cases for any similarities. Bloomington Police Department Captain Joe Qualters said in a release Monday:

Messel’s arrest has provided BPD detectives with an avenue of investigation into Lauren Spierer’s disappearance that will be diligently pursued and, in fact, that investigation has already begun.

I hope they have a backup of the cellular data from June 3 2011. That's how they might tie Hannah Wilson to Lauren Spierer and perhaps find her as well. This guy in the HW case fits the profile of the kind of person who could commit Lauren's disappearance more so than anyone else we have theorized here since 2011. I think he's the boogeyman.
That's my opinion.

If his red cased cell was left by body..was probably still dark out when he left her there. I know I should move to HW thread, just thinking how careless and quick this happened...in relation to LS crime being covered up for years and ongoing.

Boogeyman must have some level of intellect. .maybe..if he is in trivia contests. God forbid if he has been a poster or lurker on WS. But, in my experience of bar trivia nerds, his fellow trivia team players will have some inkling of what lies beneath. Just awaitin'...

If his red cased cell was left by body..was probably still dark out when he left her there. I know I should move to HW thread, just thinking how careless and quick this happened...in relation to LS crime being covered up for years and ongoing.

One of my first thoughts was if he was involved with the LS disappearance, and there has been no sign of her, why wouldn't he take this body to the same undiscovered location. But then I realized trying to apply logic to the mind of whatever this person is, may not be the wisest investigatory tactic.

It does make you wonder though, and we aren't yet privy to any other biological evidence left at the scene, but if he doesn't leave the cell phone are investigators scratching their head and relying on her friends to come forward with info? If nothing else, it did drive home the possibility that someone may be out at nights looking for an easy mark.

It seems the taxi didn't have anything to do with it - the taxi delivered her home, according to this article, and the driver is not a suspect: http://www.indystar.com/story/news/...-last-saw-iu-student-around-put-cab/26453877/

So, did she happen to cross paths with DM by chance? Did he follow her? The statement from his stepfather about him mentioning meeting a 'hannah' in the previous week also raises the possibility that she could have been targeted somehow...

Either way, it does allow us to consider a similar horrifying scenario in Lauren's case.

Ive always thought Lauren could have been picked up by anyone that night and she was in no shape to even defend herself. I have a strong feeling this may be the break that's needed to solve Lauren's case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AMK