IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to me at this point the case is a waiting game. LE knows one (or maybe two) of the POIs are responsible for her disappearance, but they don't have enough hard evidence to make an arrest. They won't release what they know so as to have ammunition for interrogating whoever finally gets named.

Until they find the body or one of the POIs cracks/makes a mistake, this is a stalemate. No amount of guessing regarding the timeline in this forum will help because we don't know the real timeline, only LE does.

In the longer term, I think Mama and Papa Spierer are going to make a serious attack in civil court.

That's exactly what I also think. Your analysis makes sense.

I am also convinced that JW has nothing to do with it and it is silly for some to even suggest so. He was the one who reported LS missing to the police. People who are guilty dont go to the police as he did. He must feel terrible for her disappearance and it is unfortunate that he was even considered a POI (as all boyfriends/husbands do in cases of disappearance), but he is obviously unrelated to the whole thing. Otherwise, he would not have gone to the police or initiate the search, as he did

That's exactly what I also think. Your analysis makes sense.

I am also convinced that JW has nothing to do with it and it is silly for some to even suggest so. He was the one who reported LS missing to the police. People who are guilty dont go to the police as he did. He must feel terrible for her disappearance and it is unfortunate that he was even considered a POI (as all boyfriends/husbands do in cases of disappearance), but he is obviously unrelated to the whole thing. Otherwise, he would not have gone to the police or initiate the search, as he did

I don't think it was him either, but you can't rule him out just because he reported her missing. It actually would be a pretty smart move by him if he did do anything.

Be a hero first, Get your defense attorney second.

You would never advise your own child to do that. Why would you encourage your kid to put themselves in harms way. It is easy to say 'if my kid was involved, I would do this or make him do that'. Fact is, none of us are in this situation so we can not say with any degree of certainty what we would do other than protect our child.

An earlier poster mentioned people trying to interject their personal experiences into the decision making process. That is impossible. People like to say that a suspect would never do this or that, but no one knows. Criminals do not think like law abiding citizens. I know I worked with them for nearly 20 years. They are stupid and make illogical decisions that many times put them at risk of getting caught or cause them to get caught.

I have heard people say regarding the OJ case, 'no one would kill the mother of their child.' RIGHT :floorlaugh: I had a prisoner from a wealthy family that blew his wife away in the front yard in front of their two children.

I am not saying these friends intentionally killed her, but they were involved either by supplying her drugs, alcohol or hiding her death and body. The odds of an undetected stranger abduction is very very low. There are very few abduction overall and of those it is rarely a stranger abduction.

I don't believe folks in Bloomington or anywhere else for that matter should be living in fear. There are no more abduction today than there were 50 years ago. Due to 24 hours news and the internet, it is just covered more.

People who are guilty dont go to the police as he did.

Really, you believe that? Sociopaths think they are smarter than the rest of us. You would not believe how many of these self absorbed college kids having sociopathic tendancies. I am not saying JW did anything, but to think he is not involved because he reported her missing is very naive. He was covering his @ss.

He knew if he didn't report her missing that it would look suspicious. Who else other than the roommate would have or should have known she wasn't where she should be?

Observer 33, we have different life philosophies.

I'm tired of speculating when there is so much information left unsaid. We can speculate for weeks more but it is likely going to take a confession or at least some straightforward responses.

The Spierers' appeals are right on. "Shame on you". Someone needs to be hero.

Foremost she must be found. Tick tock.

I don't believe folks in Bloomington or anywhere else for that matter should be living in fear. There are no more abduction today than there were 50 years ago. Due to 24 hours news and the internet, it is just covered more.

I disagree. And this fall when my daughter goes back to IU the first thing myself and the other moms of the girls in her house are going to do is install an alarm. The landlord said no even though the girls offered to pay. If we have to we will get legal representation.

There is absolutely no reason why they should not have an alarm installed.

http://www.areavibes.com/bloomington-in/crime/

Really, you believe that? Sociopaths think they are smarter than the rest of us. You would not believe how many of these self absorbed college kids having sociopathic tendancies. I am not saying JW did anything, but to think he is not involved because he reported her missing is very naive. He was covering his @ss.

He knew if he didn't report her missing that it would look suspicious. Who else other than the roommate would have or should have known she wasn't where she should be?

Yes, I absolutely believe that in the particular case. The only way he could be theoretically involved is if he somehow was in rage and went to meet her at 4.30 AM. But if that were the case, he would not have a clear mind to try to hide things like that. This possibility makes no sense and my guess (just my guess) is that he has been already eliminated as a suspect by LE, but they would not report that, as they have no hard evidence against other suspects/POI.

To me JW is essentially a victim of this case, as he lost his girlfriend for which he apparently cared a lot and then his name came up as POI. There is nothing linking him to the events of that night. He was nowhere near LS that evening based on timeline of events and the recorded videos and there is no evidence of any sort that he met with her at any point. The only thing we know for sure is that he was the one who initiated the search the next AM when he did not hear from her. To me it is obvious that he had nothing to do with the case.

Conclusions:

Higher adolescent SES [socioeconomic staus], as measured by parental education and household income in adolescence, is associated with higher rates of binge drinking, marijuana and cocaine use in early adulthood.

This study offers evidence that wealthier students may be at risk for substance use problems in the future, particularly for binge drinking, marijuana and cocaine use. As previous evidence shows that students with more spending money might be more likely to engage in substance use into adulthood, access to allowances and other forms of spending money may be issues that parents can address if they are concerned with the possibility of substance abuse among their children.

Snipped
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2924306/

RESULTS:

The lowest reported levels of average monthly spending money were associated with reduced levels of drinking and getting drunk. Spending money was independently associated with experiencing alcohol-related consequences caused by a student's own drinking, even after the authors controlled for personal drinking behaviors.

Snipped
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19433396

glad they found the white truck, I still suspect something odd about it, glad i dont have to look at it anymore, wondering about the 3:38 witness. LE may have all the pieces set for something and the reason they are winding down the PR campaign...IMO, all POIs have been identified and now it's a just dig in and investigate type situation for them. of course they will still want to look for a body, (i always like to hold on to a hope that someone that is missing could be alive, is possible), but the main suspects are now being combed over.

there are some addresses found here (monroe) https://mycase.in.gov/default.aspx

but not sure if it's latest address.

Leases in Bloomington generally run from August to August. So, if JW was in here last September, there's a reasonable chance he could still be at the address noted on this website.

What is notable is that it is within a reasonable walking distance of JR's apartment. I think it is possible that LS could have headed toward JW's house after she left JR's (assuming she made it to this point, obvs). It would substantially increase the area/time in which something could have happened.

I disagree. And this fall when my daughter goes back to IU the first thing myself and the other moms of the girls in her house are going to do is install an alarm. The landlord said no even though the girls offered to pay. If we have to we will get legal representation.

There is absolutely no reason why they should not have an alarm installed.

http://www.areavibes.com/bloomington-in/crime/

Or Mace....my daughter will have Mace AND an ability to give a quick sharp kick to the groin when she goes back to IU in the fall....

But if that were the case, he would not have a clear mind to try to hide things like that.

No one knows how a person would react. You can't think like 'you think, you would think or react' given the situation. Stranger things have happened. People react differently to different stimuli and many times they do not respond the same way twice. We all tend to interject what we think normal behavior would be in a non-normal situation. No matter what happened, she overdosed, died naturally or murder...none of that is normal for her age. If everyone acted predictably and normally, crime would never occur.

One thing about this area: There's an arboretum next to these athletic fields that used to be the site of a football stadium. An old ticket office remains, it has long been boarded up. Is it possible that a body could be hidden there and not yet found?

I'm not sure what you are talking about -- I am by that area several times a week and I only see the limestone and wrought iron fence. I do not see anything boarded up. IU is really pushes the fact they are in the top 5 "most beautiful campuses" so they would not have anything abandoned or boarded up in the middle of campus.

Or Mace....my daughter will have Mace AND an ability to give a quick sharp kick to the groin when she goes back to IU in the fall....

She should have already had these skills. Still the odds are very remote that anything will happen. The Government, Media and LE have started this campaign of fear it has caused people to disregard common sense.

If one IU student gets killed every five years (which is still too many) the odds are less than 1 in 150,000. They may have a better chance of exposure to cancer in the drinking water. We simply can not live our lives in fear. Fear is a way of controlling all of us and in turn also gives the ciminal element more control. Should you be cautious, yes. Should you avoid dangerous circumstances like walking alone after midnight, yes. But those are common sense things for men and women. Steer clear of doing stupid things and the odds are even more remote that anything will ever happen to you.

Still with all the news coverage, blogging etc, I would guess 80% of people live to normal life expectancy. 2.7% of all men and 1.4% of all women will die before age 30 from any possible cause of death.

Hi all:

New poster here, and Bloomington resident. I just wanted to address a few things that I've seen posted recently.

Re: The Arboretum. I actually take a walk through the Arboretum every day during work breaks. It has a lot of big old trees, but they're isolated from each other on a well-maintained lawn. Conceivably you could hide a body under some of the big old pines, though (sadly) there likely would be an odor by now, and the area gets a lot of pedestrian traffic (and I've looked around myself of course). Also this area is only a block from the IUPD HQ, and a student would presumably be aware of that fact.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that JW's residence is east (and a bit south) of 11th & College, so if JR's story is true that could explain why LS went in that direction, instead of through the alleys back to Smallwood. That would also explain the phone call to DR-- i.e. "I don't have my keys can you let me in to Smallwood?" And since he didn't answer maybe she decided to walk to JW's house (though you would think she would mention this to JR). I'm assume LE is aware of this possibility and the area between JR's apt & JW's has been searched pretty thoroughly.

I'm not sure what you are talking about -- I am by that area several times a week and I only see the limestone and wrought iron fence. I do not see anything boarded up. IU is really pushes the fact they are in the top 5 "most beautiful campuses" so they would not have anything abandoned or boarded up in the middle of campus.

It isn't borded up in the "derelict house" sort of sense. It is a small structure with a red roof near the short stone wall. I think it might have a twin toward the art building, but I'm not sure of that.

If you google street view the Psychology building, then turn and look toward the pedestrian walk through campus you will see what I am talking about.

Hi all:

New poster here, and Bloomington resident. I just wanted to address a few things that I've seen posted recently.

Re: The Arboretum. I actually take a walk through the Arboretum every day during work breaks. It has a lot of big old trees, but they're isolated from each other on a well-maintained lawn. Conceivably you could hide a body under some of the big old pines, though (sadly) there likely would be an odor by now, and the area gets a lot of pedestrian traffic (and I've looked around myself of course). Also this area is only a block from the IUPD HQ, and a student would presumably be aware of that fact.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that JW's residence is east (and a bit south) of 11th & College, so if JR's story is true that could explain why LS went in that direction, instead of through the alleys back to Smallwood. That would also explain the phone call to DR-- i.e. "I don't have my keys can you let me in to Smallwood?" And since he didn't answer maybe she decided to walk to JW's house (though you would think she would mention this to JR). I'm assume LE is aware of this possibility and the area between JR's apt & JW's has been searched pretty thoroughly.

One would think that if LS realized she had no keys and was going to call someone and ask to be let into Smallwood, she would have called her roommate, not anyone else.

One would think that if LS realized she had no keys and was going to call someone and ask to be let into Smallwood, she would have called her roommate, not anyone else.

JR may not have had HT's number in his phone? (as I type this I realize they did hang out a lot..)

Hmmm, not sure. But I'll say it is not uncommon to not know your roommates phone number but rather rely on speed dial on the mobile phone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500